1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting SI read regarding Phins D late vs Colts

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bumrush, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    nfl.si.com/2013/09/16/miami-dolphins-andrew-luck-indianapolis-colts/?mobile=no

Playing to win, not to lose. About damn time.

Califin, cdz12250 and DOLPHAN1 like this.
  2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I love this coaching staff. Philbin and Coyle for life. Sherman isn't the worst.

OT: I don't think we'll lose Coyle to a HC gig. Just listening to him in interviews he comes across too...too...I dunno....not head coach-y.

3. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    One could say the same thing about Philbin.

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Helps to have athletes with lots of physical talent instead of "blue collar workers".

Wheeler's sack sealed the game, do note the pundits who were complaining about his $$$ number are oddly silent now.

bberg and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  5. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think Kevin Coyle gets nearly enough credit. I think he's the best defensive guy we've had here in a long time with the exception of Nick Saban.

Claymore95 and Stitches like this.
  6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I disagree 100%.

The Rev likes this.
  7. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I do as well. Philbin sounds very much like a head coach of you ask me. He also has a very dry but effective sense of humor.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Superself and Fin D like this.
  8. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Listening to Panther sports radio has been rape to my ears. Everyone hates Rivera for not having the balls to call timeout, get the right defensive package out there and show the faith in their defense (being a defensive coach)

And I just smile. We called not 1 but 2 timeouts with the Colts driving....stupid right? Wrong! We were up 4. Philbin trusted his defense, he would rather get his personnel that he wanted cause he KNEW THEY WOULD STEP UP! And as a player, you know how pumped that gets you?! Instead of letting the clock run....you stop it, cause you know you will stop them anyways. **** yes man. Love Philbin!

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not a Mike Nolan fan?

To me, Coyle just has more talent to work with, especially Db's who can create turnovers.

TBH, was concerned about our Cb's, turns out that was misplaced, even Carroll had a int, Patterson had what 2? Grimes chipped in with one, we don't miss Smith or Davis at all.

10. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    BTW John Gruden just named Phillip Wheeler his gruden grinder for the week because of his game. 12 tackles, game winning sack and a pass knock down! Woot!!!!

Steve-Mo likes this.
  11. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Yessur...just saw that...good stuff!

SICK likes this.
  12. PhinFan1968

Speaking of MNF...Cincy's D plays hard. They may over-pursue at times, but they're definitely a lively bunch. Steelers look pretty bad on D...Cincy's receivers have been wide open all game...if Dalton didn't overthrow 80% of his passes, they'd be up a few TDs.

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm..Wheeler or Ninkovich?

To me, Wheeler does more of what we need, Ninkovich is a solid player, but he does not offer what Wheeler does for us.

14. PhinFan1968

Have to agree again. Wheeler already earned his contract in my opinion with that sack on Luck to cinch the game.

15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    This is what we've been missing, closers, Wake can only do so much.

Grimes Int in the EZ, Wheeler's sack, those are plays that close out games.

Instead of Burnett and Dansby who were good, just not closers.

Claymore95 and Colorado Dolfan like this.
  16. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

While he was uncreative, Nolan was fairly consistently solid IMO.

17. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    [​IMG]

18. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    He also said it was a hard fought division win for us. Only problem is it's not 2001 anymore.

MrClean and unifiedtheory like this.
  19. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't really care for Mike Nolan very much. I think he's very much a solid guy who is going to get a good bump wherever he goes based on sound fundamentals but not take you much further than that.

Bpk likes this.
  20. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

When we hired him I looked at the defensive stats for all teams he coached as a DC, the year before he arrived, his first year, subsequent years and the year after he left.
    the places he coaches.

The pattern was, the D rank improved year one as he simplified the D for everyone, then regressed in each subsequent year as opponents had film on it and he didn't adapt or increase complexity. Then he would leave and the D would improve without him.

21. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I loved that pass deflection, nice play, not something were used to around here..

So we went with our strength to win the game, against one of the best, I can dig it.

22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I keep on reading how Wheeler is not an upgrade over Burnett, however I just do not see it. I don't think Burnett ever had a game where he impacted as much as Wheeler did against the Colts, and I also think Burnett wasn't that good at covering Tight Ends and Runningbacks.

SICK likes this.
  23. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

He may have this season, but Coyle fielded a statistically top 10 defense last season, with a smoke and mirrors secondary.
    Just by the fact that Coyle has turned Carroll into a sound starting corner has earned him my eternal admiration and respect, over anything any defensive coach has done in Miami since the days of Arnsparger.

gandalfin likes this.
  24. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Nolan is a lot like George Hill was as DC. He'll give you a fundamentally sound defense if you give him some talent to work with, but Coyle can make chicken salad out of chicken excrement in some cases, such as the 2012 secondary.