1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins Home vs Road Stat Trend (What To Expect For Home Opener)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bpk, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

2-0 on the road! Great feeling. Now we come home, so what can we expect in our first home game?

I looked at how Philbin's 2012 team performed on the road versus at home to look for clues. The data I could find was for games through Nov 29th 2012. This means 5 home games and 6 away games are included. I have tried, as much as possible, to use stats that are per game, or per carry, etc to make this a non factor. However, some stats, like # of TDs you must consider there was one more road game than home game when comparing them.

QB PLAY

Tannehill performed marginally better at home than on the road

ROAD
    Completion % 58
    TD % 1.7
    INT % 4
    Rating 71.1

HOME
    Completion % 60
    TD % 2.5
    INT % 3.1
    Rating 74.8

RUNNING

TEAM RUSHING - ROAD
    YPC 3
    TDs 5

TEAM RUSHING - HOME
    YPC 5
    TDs 8

LAMAR MILLER - ROAD
    YPC 4
    Receiving Yards Per Game 0
    TDs 0

LAMAR MILLER - HOME
    YPC 5.7
    Receiving Yards Per Game 0
    TDs 1

DANIEL THOMAS - ROAD
    YPC 3.1
    Receiving Yards Per Game 12.3
    TDs 2

DANIEL THOMAS - HOME
    YPC 4.5
    Receiving Yards Per Game 12.6
    TDs 2

OFFENSE #'s

OFFENSIVE POINTS SCORED UP PER GAME ROAD - 18.5
    OFFENSIVE POINTS SCORED UP PER GAME HOME - 19.8

3RD DOWN - ROAD 31.5%
    3RD DOWN - HOME 41.4%

SACKED (TIMES/YDS) ROAD - 15/105
    SACKED (TIMES/YDS) HOME - 7/63

FUMBLES - ROAD 10
    FUMBLES - HOME 3

PENALTIES ROAD - Penalized Once Every 11.8 plays
    PENALTIES HOME - Penalized Once Every 11.1 plays

TD % HOME - TD every 26.1 plays
    TD % ROAD - TD every 30.6 plays

DEFENSE #'s

3RD DOWN ALLOWED - ROAD 34.7%
    3RD DOWN ALLOWED - HOME 34.2%

SACKS (TIMES/YDS) ROAD - 21/129
    SACKS (TIMES/YDS) HOME - 8/40

TD % HOME - TD surrendered every 29.6 plays
    TD % ROAD - TD surrendered every 38 plays

POINTS GIVEN UP PER GAME ROAD - 19.8
    POINTS GIVEN UP PER GAME HOME - 21.4

INTS PER HOME GAME - 0.6
    INTS PER ROAD GAME - 0.8

FUMBLE RECOVERIES PER ROAD GAME - 0.3
    FUMBLE RECOVERIES PER HOME GAME - 0.2

SPECIAL TEAMS #'s

AVG PUNT ROAD - 49.4
    AVG PUNT HOME - 50.8

[Omitting FGs due to new kicker.]

THIGPEN PUNT RETURN AVG ROAD - 16
    THIGPEN PUNT RETURN AVG HOME - 11

THIGPEN KICK RETURN AVG ROAD - 31.1
    THIGPEN KICK RETURN AVG HOME - 26.2

SPECIAL TEAMS TDS ROAD - 3
    SPECIAL TEAMS TDS HOME - 0

Thoughts:

- QB play and passing game with Tannehill-Sherman-Philbin seems only marginally better at home than away.
    - Rushing attack is noticeably better at home than away
    - Combining better rushing info with lower sacks allowed, it appears Oline performs better at home
    - Fewer INTS and Fumbles by the offense at home
    - Unfortunately, the defense seems less hungry at home, with fewer sacks at home, more TDs surrendered per opponent snap.
    - Special Teams produced longer returns and bigger plays on the road

Can we project anything from this? I think it's not a reliable amount of information, and there are so many variables this is more a fun exercise than really predictive one. That said I will be watching to see if the trend of the offense improving at home (especially run blocking and pass protection) continues, and whether the defense and special teams slack off at all.

If those things happen, we can expect a higher scoring shootout with Atlanta. Final score somewhere in the 30's for both teams. My hope is that our defense has taken another step this year, and will maintain their level of play at home, compared to on the road.

We'll see Sunday.

Berezo, SAVES, Sippi and 5 others like this.
  2. Bpk

For comparison's sake... here are our road stats so far:

OFFENSE

Points Per Game - 23.5
    3rd down conversion - 46%
    Rushing YPC - 2.4
    Sacks Surrendered Per Game - 4.5
    Lamar Miller YPC -
    Daniel Thomas YPC -

DEFENSE
    Points Per Game - 15
    3rd down conversion - 27.5%
    Rushing YPC - 4.6
    Sacks Per Game - 4.5
    INTs Per Game - 2

SPECIAL TEAMS
    AVG PUNT RETURN - 2.8
    AVG KICK REUTRN - 32.3

Finrunner likes this.
  3. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    So basically, expect to be better all over the place?

4. Bpk

Not sure how you get that from the trend of our defense and STs playing worse at home last year, but I certainly like your prediction better!

Kingtut561 likes this.
  5. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Last year Miami lead the league in endzone touchdown percentage at home.

They were pretty bad on the road.

6. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    I'm still looking at the stats and digesting...

...but I'd rather this thread win than your Piss on Jeff Ireland thread. Every once in a while maybe I'll just hit this thread with a "Free Dion Sims!!!" post for your benefit and to add to the count in this thread!

Bpk likes this.
  7. Bpk

That is One Stat To Rule Them All!

Okay, love that. Our PPG against was still poor though.

8. Bpk

HAHA! Honestly, That one will probably get lots of views, no replies, then get deleted by Mods.

And rightly so.

Finrunner likes this.
  9. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    I think the team plays more loose at home, which seems to be a drawback for the defense and a boon for the offense.

Bpk likes this.
  10. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    With crowd noise away and the line (and team) having a harder time hearing on the road, I think the running game and offensive line playing better at home both make a lot of sense. For our team, if it translates from last year to this year, that's a boon. First of all, the team's obviously going to benefit from getting more big rushing plays just in the rushing game alone. But probably more impactful overall, is the effect that increase would have on our play action passing game. Given time, Tannehill has been pretty lethal, and last year, he was very good in play action (versus how he was average or below on straight shotgun snaps - at least I think I've seen those stats on different posts around the board). That'd certainly help things. In the upcoming game, if the Falcons have to worry about our run game, the Mike Wallace-in-the-intermediate-and-deep-passing-game-factor should come into play in a big way for both him deep and opening the middle of the field for Hartline, Gibson, and Clay. Also, it stands to reason that our linemen are going to benefit from being able to clearly hear their QB when audibling or just calling signals, which is why their play is improved at home v. the road. They'll get a better jump at home than on the road. Those fractions of seconds can really make a difference in helping guys like Tyson Clabo, who has been having trouble with the outside rush. He'll probably have better games at home than on the road - I'd wager that anyway.

Summarizing: a little better protection to go along with the better running game should help our play action passing game get even more big chunk plays than we've been seeing.

Of the stats presented, those two look like the biggest difference-makers for me at least in regard to the upcoming game.

Bpk likes this.
  11. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    It seems to me that the sample size you used is way too small to make any significant statistical observations as to whether home games are played better than away games. Although there is a general consensus that home games are usually easier than away games. But if we take into account the quality of teams played home versus road we can see if that contributes in any way to the stats you presented.

HOME GAMES: Raiders (4-12), Jets (6-10), Patriots (12-4), Bills (6-10), Rams (7-8-1), Titans (6-10), Seahawks (11-5), Jaguars (2-14)
    Total: 54-73-1

ROAD GAMES: Texans (12-4), Cardinals (5-11), Jets (6-10), Patriots (12-4), Bills (6-10), Bengals (10-6), Colts (11-5), 49ers (11-4-1),
    Total: 73- 54-1

So you can see here that overall, the teams we played on the road were actually significantly better than the ones we played at home which in turn makes our stats at home also look better. In the end, though, as I said before, the sample size is way too small to draw any conclusions.

12. Bpk

I agree. But I thought it would be fun to discuss nonetheless.

Btw, sadly the 'Piss on Jeff Ireland' thread I started as the low brow comparison to this discussion is thriving as we few chat in here.

Fast food and reality TV win.
    Grandmas cooking and PBS lose.

padre31 likes this.
  13. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

I don't believe in any of those stats having anything to do with this year's team. Same staff pretty much, many of the same players, but MASSIVE changes and upgrades all around. I'll never forget Tanny getting trashed by the Texans last year. This team is much better than that game in my opinion...my optimism level is WAY higher this year.

14. Bpk

Very different team, so the levels of stats ma change, but the trend of certain categories moving higher or lower on the road or home may apply..

We'll know more after this year. Can look at year one trends. Then isolate year two trends. Ones that match are likely systemic patterns for this team on road vs home.

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  15. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Falcons were 5-1 last year on the road, at non-dome stadiums. They lost to the Panthers. Beatable, but tough as nails. Looking forward to this game.

Bpk likes this.
  16. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    The trends tell me we have no home field advantage, especially on third down defense.

Bpk likes this.
  17. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    I think our secondary left the Colts receivers pretty wide open yesterday. At times they were playing off other times they pressed. They seemed to play better when they pressed. If Grimes had not intercepted that pass and we lost, the loss would have been squarely on the secondary. If it's not Nolan nimrod I can't get out of the way of my own shadow on special teams Carroll one week it's Chris stone hands Clemmons the next. Both are weak links.

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  18. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

I agree. Carroll showed up on a few plays, so that got most thinking he had a good game, but I watched him on several other plays where he was plain out of it. I'd say he had a bad game.

19. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    As far as Carroll goes, I think he's an improved player, he's doing a better job staying close to his man without interfering and he's getting his head around..

I'm tellin ya right now 68, Luck is gonna average 300 yards for the year, he's gonna get his vrs everybody.

Bpk likes this.
  20. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hard to take stats from one year and project them into the next season.

I think we shut down the Falcons running game at home, but ST to the offense just remains to be seen.

Gonzo could be in line for a big day for example

21. CantinaJack

CantinaJack New Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Washington DC
    300 yards is no longer a good game for QBs guys. The new "good game" is 400. Just look at how many threw for 300 or more last week. So basically you also have to adjust that when talking about defensive performance. If you hold a QB to under 300 its a fantastic game. If they get 300 on you, its an average to slightly above average game. I think our secondary played fine against Luck, who I think at the end of the year will be in the top 5 in QB fantasy points.

22. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    have you watched gonzales the first 2 games ? i did, he still is effective with those 3rd down catches and in the redzone, but i wouldn't be to worried about him making plays like fleener or cameron did against us, he is 37 years old and it shows bigtime, no camp and preseason for him...it shows

Bpk likes this.
  23. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    300 is still the number to hit, i havent seen a QB pass for 6400 yards in a season yet

24. CantinaJack

CantinaJack New Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Washington DC
    No one does it game in and game out, save Brees. But I'm just not impressed with 300 passing yards these days. Not with the handcuffs the defenses are playing with.

THere are plenty of upper 4000 yard guys these days. Which is around 300 a game.

25. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think total yards in general are pretty meaningless. Wilson played a good game against SF and had under 200 yards. The key was did the QB make the plays when the team needed him to and avoid critical mistakes?

Bpk likes this.
  26. truedus

truedus Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2007
    With Roddy White still working through his injury, we just have to watch out for J. Jones and Tony TD Gonzales. I dont think Steven Jackson has it in him with our front 7.
    I also think the stadium might be sold out and our D should reap the benefits.
    Good work on your analysis, though, I think the environmental variables (crowd noise) wont be as weak as they were last year.
    Here's to hoping for the best(effort)!

Bpk likes this.