1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CBS Sports: Tanny leading the Class of 2012

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by HULKFish, Sep 16, 2013.

1. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    PhinsRock, Finrunner, Pagan and 5 others like this.
  2. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Too much positive press today.. This team needs to continue to act like an underdog and play with the same level of humility and workmanlike attitude that Philbin is preaching.

305, PhinsRock, mbsinmisc and 9 others like this.
  3. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    At this point I'm comfortable in saying that Tannehill is well on his way to being an above average NFL QB, ala Matt Schaub, Tony Romo, etc.

Considering his lack of experience, there is also still plenty of opportunity for him to progress and become an elite QB, as well.

Exciting time to be a Dolphin fan.

#extendireland

4. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Matt Schaub is hardly above average, I followed the Texans/Tennessee game, Tennessee has a legit defense but Schaub continues to show what a bonehead he is. He is really holding back the Texans from taking the next step. He's the reason it baffles me when people say Houston is a contender. Really, got to be kidding me.

mbsinmisc likes this.
  5. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Thank you for not going after Flynn!

MAFishFan and mbsinmisc like this.
  6. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    He's slightly above average IMO. He's consistently had a 90+ QBR every year with the Texans. I'm not sure Houston is a contender, but I still think Schaub is right around the 10th-15th best QB in the league.

Bpk likes this.
  7. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    What I do like about Tannehill and Luck, and I think they're the two best quarterbacks of their draft, is how focused they are on football. You have Russell Wilson, RG3 and that **** Colin getting exposed last night all focused on twitter, social media and endorsements, trademarking some bicep flex BS, and yet the two best quarterbacks of the draft are earning their stripes first in the NFL first and then they will rightfully go after all the extra stuff. They're classic and they're both the future of the NFL.

That read option **** is a gimmick and those three that depend on it are getting heavily exposed after a year of defensive coordinators catching on. Vince Young was probably the best quarterback I've seen run the read option in college and that **** got him no where in the big boys league.

By the way is Colin the only quarterback in the NFL that wears a lid? I seriously think this guy is too focused on being GQ in the sidelines. I know it sounds silly for me to ramble about it but get out of here with that.

HULKFish likes this.
  8. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I've been one of the most critical of Jeff Ireland on this board but I will acknowledge, so far his off season moves are paying dividends. Grimes and Clabo look very solid, and Wallace has been a game changer on offense, even last week. And so far, the line (specifically LT) hasn't been as bad as many of us were worried it could be.

It's also becoming clear that Ireland made the most important move any GM can make and that was finding a QB in Ryan Tannehill.

I'm not ready to jump on the #extendireland bandwagon yet though, as I know how quickly and horribly a 2-0 team can finish 7-9 (2010 anyone?)

P h i N s A N i T y and HULKFish like this.
  9. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Is it that hard to say "good"?

10. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Disagree about Clabo. He's been our worst lineman so far this season.

mbsinmisc, Onehondo, 2xBlown and 6 others like this.
  11. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Just imagine how good RT would be if he had a great OL in front of him?

That's the drawback on Ireland - he has struggled to put together a great OL (maybe we need some new OL scouts?). I know there is some love for the OL coach but that could be a factor as well (he may be a fiery guy but that doesn't always make the best coach - Alex Gibbs was Mr. tactician). Just not a great line at this point (in spite of having a couple of good players). If that could come together we could have a very, very good offense.

12. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Agree, Clabo looks to be Colombo 2.0 right now.

Nobody does more commercials than Peyton Manning. I think the commercial stuff can be overblown. We really have no way of knowing whether they're actually distracting a guy. They're all done in the offseason.

RG3 is having problems, but Russell Wilson and Kap getting exposed? I don't know about all that. Nobody plays well in Seattle. And Kap just threw for over 400 yards against a defense focused on making him a pocket QB. One season after being a hair away from a Super Bowl title. Both guys can sling it IMHO. Time will ultimately tell.

mbsinmisc and King Felix like this.
  13. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Too subjective IMO. You could be a good QB, but if there are 20 good ones in the league, thats probably not good enough.

mbsinmisc likes this.
  14. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Just imagine how good this offense would be if Keller was still around.

mbsinmisc likes this.
  15. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Haven't missed him yet. Clay has made all the plays.

Pariah likes this.
  16. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I could certainly be wrong about Clabo, I don't really have any business evaluating the play of individual offensive lineman except where it's obvious to anyone watching the game.

17. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

I don't know, Clay has done a reasonable job so far if you ask me. he can only get better as his timing with RT does :)

18. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Yeah, too much, too soon. This team has improved and IF the demise of the pasties comes to fruition (something I'll never bet on), then perhaps we have a chance in the division, but realistically, Cleveland is a team we should have beaten and Indy was a team, that we could have beaten if we'd played up to our potential. Now we face a team that is arguably better than we are, so let's see what happens next...however, putting my aqua sun glasses back on, if this D plays like it did at Cleveland and the O like in Indy....you just never know...

gunn34 likes this.
  19. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Clay has done better than expected. With Keller, we'd have expected the production and likely gotten it. Clay still has a moment or two that he reverts back to just a guy...Still need to see the consistency with him...

20. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I dont see them changing that. I kinda see Philbins personality already. I mean...freakin Incognito didnt retaliate when he got a helmet swung at him We go into Indy...have the frustrations of not being able to get Luck down. Can you imagine how our defense was getting pissed..and we had 0 penalties.

That says alot IMO

Disnardo, mbsinmisc, HULKFish and 2 others like this.
  21. vt_dolfan

I dont know man....5 catches for 54 yards against a very stingy Cleveland Defense...and 5 catches for 109...and a rushing TD in the two games he has started at TE?...Pretty freakin consistent if you ask me

HULKFish likes this.
  22. vt_dolfan

Nods..I dont think you could have used Keller where you used Clay on his rushing TD yesterday either.

Call me crazy...but...Clay might actually open our offense up even more...then what Keller had done.

23. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    Having two TE threats is better than one i.e. Gronk/Hernandez

mbsinmisc, jdallen1222 and Stitches like this.
  24. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I think it's ok to rejoice and be excited. It's been awhile since we've had a reason to be happy and optimistic with this team.

Just as long as we keep it in perspective and not get too far ahead of ourselves.

But you better believe I'm smiling about the first two weeks.

Onehondo, first&goal, gunn34 and 5 others like this.
  25. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    WADR, screw that noise.

Be as excited as you want to be. We haven't been able to be in a long time. Throw caution to the wind and believe.

Colorado Dolfan and HULKFish like this.
  26. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Yeah I'm gonna be pissed off about a loss no matter what and it isn't like I don't know what a losing season feels like if it happens

Colorado Dolfan and Fin D like this.
  27. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Exactly.

I don't understand this tempering enthusiasm that is rampant around here. We are 2-0 when most people expected us to be 0-2. We won fair and square and on the road. We have a staff that understands strategy and adjustments and how to develop talent. We are young and poised. We are a good team and getting better. We as fans have deserved this, and I'll be damned if I'm not going to enjoy it while its happening.

Disnardo, Den54, Marco and 3 others like this.
  28. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I agree. I felt after about 75% of last season that this is what he'll become, and I think that he's making progress in getting there. No shame in being the 10-15 range in NFL QBs, especially at a young age. I think that right now, Luck is an "8" who can become a 10, while Ryan is a 6 who can be an 8. You can win a lot of games with an 8 if he has the right team around him.

29. vt_dolfan

All I know is...

My weeks are a whole HELLLLLUVVAAAAA lot better after we win...then when we loose.

30. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Why not hope? Why not show enthusiasm? However optimistic or pessimistic we are, it has no outcome on the field... Keeping things in perspective to me is in just realizing this is just a game. This isn't real world drama or politics. There is no reason to get too high or too low, as this is just a pass-time activity. Keep perspective on your real life and family, and football is sure to follow. As for being a fan... I'm all in!

djphinfan and Fin D like this.
  31. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    yeah i've noticed that too. It makes him look like he cares about looking "good" over all else. Not much of a story, but i agree it makes him look like an idiot

32. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Well if everyone was the same this world would be a pretty boring place. Go ahead, I know you're just providing cover for when those photos of you in a Dolphins cheer leading outfit get leaked, but some like to go balls out and some like to relax, and see where it goes. Take it one day at a time. It's a war not a single battle. (Trying to think of any other sports cliches to use).

Me, I'll keep watching the games one week at a time, plus a bye week. Everybody's reaction is right. For them.

As for Keller/Clay some of you guys are missing the point. Weren't they planning on running two-TE sets here and there? The emergence of Clay actually makes the loss of Keller hurt worse. What could have been.

33. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Relax or go balls out, I don't care. I just don't understand the point of trying to temper other people's enthusiasm which seems to happen here a lot.

HULKFish likes this.
  34. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    If one walks into that stadium with reservations because they want to protect themselves, then shame on them, let it go man, just let it go.

And if it doesn't work out, take the hit..

HULKFish likes this.
  35. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Kinda like Sanchez with his matching hair bands?

The difference is Kap is not a poser.

36. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Agreed. Just because someone is a sad sack that can't enjoy when the Dolphins are doing well, why ruin other people's fun?

Fin D likes this.
  37. FinsUp

FinsUp New Member

Apr 5, 2013
    New York, NY
    I think Sims could be the second threat, we just haven't seen much of him yet - something I'm a little disappointed about. But I'm sure he'll get his chances - it's only been 2 games.

38. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    To me, the best part about following a sports team is the high you get when they are playing good, if not for that, then what's the point? That's why I don't understand when people want to play it cool, the hurt hurts no matter how excited you get, but now you're going through the hurt for reward. But if that's the way someone chooses to be a fan, then go for it, I won't stop them, i just don't understand it.

cuchulainn, Aqua4Ever04 and HULKFish like this.
  39. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Agreed....but I think we find out what we truly have here in the next 3 weeks.

40. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I agree. I was so happy after the Colts win yesterday I was shaking. That was awesome.

Dolfan984, evz and Fin D like this.