1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - learning more about football

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by UKphin, Sep 16, 2013.

1. UKphin

UKphin New Member

Sep 16, 2013
    England
    Hey guys. Little cliche but i'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I wasn't sure if this was the best place to put this but here it goes.. Coming from England the NFL and American football isn't exactly huge over here (although it's getting bigger all the time) and whilst I know enough to get by, partially thanks to American family members and playing a bit at university here, I would really like to learn more about the game.

Other than watching lots of games is there anything you guys could recommend for me to watch, read, study etc? I'm particularly interested in formations/plays, how they work, when/why they are called, strengths/weakness, and how they are combatted - that kind of stuff.

Thanks for your help and keep up the good work, this is a great forum :)

2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    There are numerous videos on youtube if you're a visual type learner. There are books including Football For Dummies which honestly has a decent amount of information in it, based on the excerpts I've seen online. Also, this will sound crazy to some, but if you have a game system, get Madden.

3. Cass

Cass Active Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bristol, England
    Honestly just read this forum. There are a few posters in particular that break down players and plays in great detail.

4. UKphin

UKphin New Member

Sep 16, 2013
    England
    Thanks for the response. Madden is actually another reason I want to learn more. I haven't got the new one yet, but the majority of the time I have no idea what play I should be calling - especially on D.

5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yeah, like said search youtube or get a book and while you're learning that stuff play madden. It will all start clicking for you.

6. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    Ahh football for dummies. They finally published sparanos old playbooks... :p

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Tone_E, Boik14 and King Felix like this.
  7. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Buy and Read "Take Your Eye Off the Ball: How to Watch Football by Knowing Where to Look" by Pat Kirwin. You can most likely get it pretty inexpensive, and it hits up most of the talking points you were inquiring about.

8. UKphin

UKphin New Member

Sep 16, 2013
    England
    Thanks, I was actually looking at getting that- I definitely will now