1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Postgame random thoughts, just how good are we?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Paul 13, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Well, more on just how good we might be later, but first off, wow what a huge win against the Colts on the road! A team win!! All around great job by everyone.

Just me or do we make some great halftime adjustments with this coaching staff?

Speaking of the coaching staff, the TD to Wallace was an excellent play call. Fake hand off inside on a sweep, misdirection with a throw back bubble screen to Wallace on the right. That play could have even been thrown to the left for a touchdown instead of to Wallace. Wonderful execution by the o line in front of that play.

Wallace had 9 catches on the day, a career high! You could tell he was a much bigger part of the game plan on those first 15 scripted plays.

Brent Grimes!! Extend him... he made up for that long play to TY Hilton didn't he? Huge play with the INT to thwart the Colts in the 4th quarter.

And then Phillip Wheeler makes a sensational play on the last drive of the game to sack Luck. His movement/juke around Donald Brown was epic. How many times have we in the past sent blitzers up the middle to be blocked by the back? Yet Wheeler seemingly has an instinct to beat the blitz pickup.

Don't understate the coaches again calling timeouts on the Colts final drive. TWICE! We would NEVER have done that under some previous regimes. Instead wanting to preserve those timeouts and use them when we get the ball back, thinking our defense is going to give up a touchdown or field goal. But no, no defeatest attitude by us today. Call the timeout on defense, get them set correctly. And WIN the game right here, right now by the defense!! Especially on the fourth down calling that timeout. Great great stuff!!

Never nervous Sturgis!! Massive field goal at the end of the 1st half to give us some momentum going into the third quarter. Think how close the game was at the end there... what those three points meant to us to be up by 4 with Luck needing a touchdown to win the game instead of a field goal!

Andrew Luck. What can you say? The guy not only looks like an ogre... but he breaks tackles like an ogre would.

Wrap the hell up Dion Jordan! Wonder if the shoulder affected him there in going for the body blow instead of wrapping up like he SHOULD!

Charles Effing Clay! I started him at tight end in my fantasy league

For the most part, I thought the play calling by Sherman was great. Although the 2nd qb dive, I'm sure he'd like to have that one back. The quick out by Tannehill to IIRC Clutts that was covered, in an attempt to get the first down. Tannehill had Wallace wide open coming across the middle on that play if only Ryan looks up and takes some time instead of hurrying it.

All in all a really good day for Tannehill though.

Chris Clemons, if he could catch the ball.... imagine how good he'd be.

Running game, was pretty consistent all game long. Miller's run at the end of the game to seal it was massive. Both backs had room today. Pretty solid effort. When we needed a five yard run, we pretty much 9 times out of 10, got a five yard run.

Thought Mike Pouncey had a great game today. Of all the offensive linemen, he was clearly the #1 performer. Getting out in front out those outside runs (the bubble screen to Wallace), spectacular player. Run blocking was better than pass blocking although under the conditions the pass blocking was pretty decent in a hostile environment with the crowd noise. They (Martin and Clabo) didn't lose the game, lets put it that way.

Just when you thought the refs were going to **** us again, defense stepped up in the 4th quarter.

How about Jason Trusnik making a play on the tight end when Misi got hurt (he came back later)... the play where the TE caught it at the one, only to be reversed by replay. That drive ended with a Colts Field Goal instead of a touchdown!! Again, imagine those four points up on the Colts scoreboard? Backup players making plays. That is what it's all about. I take back all the negative things I said about Trusnik this preseason. Although I'm glad Misi is okay :shifty:

it looks like Soliai will be okay...

Thank god!! Nice to get a break on an injury for once! Although lets see how he practices this week.

Thought Nolan Carroll played pretty decent today filling in on the outside for Dmitri Patterson.

Jimmy Wilson in the slot, not so much. Although in the end, it didn't cost us.

Two things related to Jeff Ireland.. Yes our rookies haven't been a huge success yet, with all the injuries etc etc... but you can't help but feel great about our free agent acquisitions at the moment. Wheeler and Wallace especially huge today.. of course Grimes...

Falcons up next week for the home opener. They took a huge lead against the Rams today and then only won by seven points. This will be a true test of just how good we THINK we are. Falcons are a complete team with great wide receivers. They are better than the Colts. Although... you have to say that winning a game in the fourth quarter, in their house, with Luck at the helm, not so much that we won by 4 points... but it was how we pulled it out in the fourth quarter...just maybe we have what it takes this year for a playoff run? Long season. We'll see. One game at a time.

invid, HULKFish, keypusher and 32 others like this.
  2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I don't think he had time on that play to Clutts. There was a pretty strong rush coming if I recall. Good analysis though.

Drowning and Paul 13 like this.
  3. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I think we are pretty good.

2-0 is nice but we have a pretty tough three weeks. If we are 3-2 at the Bye Week I don't think anyone has any reason to complain.

But they will anyway.

eltos_lightfoot and Paul 13 like this.
  4. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Falcons might be healthier when they play us too. Both Roddy and Julio have been nursing injuries. Doesn't look like it affected Julio though.

I hope we keep Grimes on Julio. It will be a long day if Wilson and Carroll cover him. Patterson can get healthy and cover Roddy.

Paul 13 likes this.
  5. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    Ellerbee has to have more success covering TE's.

Paul 13 likes this.
  6. 72 Dolphins

72 Dolphins New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    I like being in Field Goal range once we cross the 50 ! :up: Someone said it in the game thread - Sturgis has been the best pick of 2013 - to date.

Drowning, Phins_Fan_87 and Paul 13 like this.
  7. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    We'll find out how good we really are after the next 2 games.

For now, I'm happy to say we're good enough to be 2-0!!!!!!!

8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Good thoughts Pauly..enjoyed that.

Trying to take it all in,

here's my main thought, we went against a great Qb on the road, and earned the victory..

Just to much goin on in my head.. 2 and 0 on the road, thats the best performance by a team in the nfl...YEAH BABY!!!!

Get in your seats early, don't sit down, stand and cheer on defense, be loud, they deserve our best effort..

9. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    So happy Clay has finally seemed to turn the corner.

Paul 13 likes this.
  10. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    The good thing about the next two games is they're against the NFC. Of course I hope we win but if not, the conference tiebreaker comes in before common games.

11. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    oh I forgot... I guess Joe Philbin can communicate with his team after all. What will the press dig up this week?

12. dullfandan

dullfandan Active Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Charlotte N.C.
    D still looks good, missing dp in the secondary, O scoring points... Ryan is Playing much better so far... Cleveland sucks, indy is à wildcard team.. atl is divisional winner, possible first round bye team... But 2-0 on the road... Ill take it

13. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Better than last year. Giving up so many yards is worrisome, TEs will continue to own us (Tony Gonzalez comes to town next week :omg:), and I don't have much hope for the O-Line and just hope we don't have to peel Tannehill off the field at some point. But, obviously we are improved so far. Sherman had some questionable calls...after a nice 2nd and 5 with the game winding down, we throw twice, even though we were running well.

Brent Grimes is a difference maker, Patterson hopefully will get well soon because he is 2nd best, defense is faster, run game is solid, Tannehill looks better and hopefully can get Wallace deeper plays.

14. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    that play is on philbin not trusnik....WOOOOOOOO 2-0

15. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Gotta watch the Falcons highlights.

Steven Jackson concerns me if Soliai is out.

16. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Two points where we could have lost it. Down 17-14, going to halftime down when we should have been up would have been brutal. The fact that we tied it was huge. The 2nd was the Tannehill fumble, look like the colts were going to take a 7 point lead but we made made a nice challenge, got lucky on the penalty to nullified the td and hold them to the field goal. Tannehill got a key drive where he needed to score an he came through. We are not elite but we are good enough to win games we are suppose to. Games, years ago, even last year, we blow. Having a better kicker helps too. carpenter misses that fg no doubt about it

Puka-head, Hiruma78 and Paul 13 like this.
  17. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    the team is saying all the right things post game (the comments that I've seen). General consensus there is that, they are are happy to win, but know there are plenty of things to work on moving forward.

18. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    You'll see one highlight of Jackson because he got hurt.

Finfan7273, Bpk and Paul 13 like this.
  19. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    Well knowing how some of us react , being 5-0 will also bring reasons for complaining...

mbsinmisc and Alex44 like this.
  20. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Rigjht now I see basically the samme team I saw last year with the exception of tannehill looking more comfortable and it seems we're getting the breaks in close games or game rather than the other team. After the next two games I'll have a firmer grasp of where we are as a team. The good things are our oline wasn't as horrendous as last week and we have four games vs the jets and bills still.

Paul 13 likes this.
  21. mracer

mracer New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    I can honestly say we have a great chance beating Atlanta. I can't remember the last time I felt we could beat any team. My only concern is our O-line. This will need to be addressed this offseason. Resign Grimes, Clemons & Solai this season and keep the D intact.

jw3102 likes this.
  22. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Thoughts:

- Priority for this team is to get their CB's healthy for this stretch run of teams.
    - Well how about that. We CAN run the ball. Kudo's to those of us that actually noticed Cleveland has a HELL of a defense. Ravens could not run the ball either. Jordan Cameron almost pulled off a 100 yard game against them to at TE.
    - Have to watch those 6 man blitz's. Against good QB's were not leaving enough cover guys. 5 man rushes seemed to work best against Luck.
    - Anyone has Vernon's hurries/hits? Beyond that half a sack he picked up today I don't really notice him in the pass rush. Might mean we see Jordan more and more as his shoulder gets better and Vernon becomes our Kenny Mixon.
    - We might be a playoff team here. If we can battle through this next 3 and pick up 2...guaranteed were a playoff caliber team. 3-2 after that stretch we might be more of a last day squeak in.

Puka-head, Bpk and Paul 13 like this.
  23. mracer

mracer New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Yes, Tannehill has improved but our team is better on all aspects. Our defense was clutch today! How many times have we seen our defense choke when the game was on the line? The pass rush and coverage is much better.

Caleb on ST is a HUGE difference. Carpenter never had a big leg. Caleb is booming kickoffs into the endzone for touchbacks.

Our skill players on offense are much faster and are playmakers!! Clay is developing and Wallace has completely changed our offense IMO. Hartline is finally playing as the #2 and can really become one of the best #2's in the league.

Drowning and Paul 13 like this.
  24. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Good stuff Paul Wally Doodle, all the day.
    As for extending Grimes now, I could be wrong, but I seem to recall reading something a few years ago, that if a team signs a UFA to a 1 yr contract, they cannot resign/extend him until the opening of the following league year and the new free agency period. We could Franchise him though. This subject came up when we first signed Incognito. It was also as a UFA to a 1 yr contract, and seems like I read back then we could not resign/extend him until the following league year when free agency opened again.

Unlucky 13 and mbsinmisc like this.
  25. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland

We're scoring touchdowns and we have offensive weapons. Team is very different from last year.

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  26. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Seriously? There are many areas where this team is much improved over last year.
    Speed at LB.
    WR corps.
    Kicker.
    Front 4 is better with Odrick rotating inside and the emergence of OV, improvement of Shelby and raw talent and potential of Jordan.

cuchulainn and mullingan like this.
  27. mbsinmisc

mbsinmisc Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Murrells Inlet SC
    I think we are better in part due to Philbin's improved game/clock management. I think he has a great chance to be a top drawer coach. His personality will never garner the headlines of a Gruden or Cowher, but I would take Joe Cool over either one of them.

28. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I was scared we weren't going to be able to run the ball. This game proved we can.

We also beat one of the best passing teams in the game in their stadium.

P h i N s A N i T y and Paul 13 like this.
  29. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Agreed on most...but Nolan Carroll had a bad day. Three times I saw he missed coverage and his guy (that he SHOULD have been covering instead of looking downfield at the safety and a receiver) caught a ball and made first downs. Gotta get your assignments dude!

30. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I will be the first to admit that I thought the Dolphins would be 1-4 after their first five games. Even after the first half today, I was frustrated with the way the defense played. I figured that we were in for another one of the games we have seen so often in the last five years. When the Dolphins played tough for the majority of the game, only to lose it in the final minutes of the game.

I was completely wrong today. The defense came out in the second half and shut down Luck and the Colts offense. Tannehill and the Dolphin offense made the plays to win the game. I have to feel that this game was the game this team needed to win to show that they may have finally turned the corner and are now headed for their first winning season since 2008.

The Falcons will be tough to beat, but it will be the Dolphins first home game and hopefully there will be a huge home crowd at the game to make some noise when the Falcons have the ball. If Soliai and Patterson can come back healthy for the game and the pass rush can cause Ryan to hurry his throws, I like the Dolphins chances against the Falcons. I believe Tannehill and the offense should once again be able to put up at least 24 points against the Falcons defense.

I think of the next three games, the Dolphins win have their toughest opponent in the Saints. First of all because the game is in New Orleans and second because they will be playing against one of the top offenses, led by Drew Brees, in the NFL.

The game against the Ravens seems more and more likely to be the Dolphins easiest game in the next three weeks. I don't see the Ravens scoring much against the Dolphins and there is no reason to believe that Tannehill and the offense can't score enough to beat the Ravens.

So while I started the season with low expectations for the first five games. I will be happy with a 3-2 record after these games, but I don't think a 4-1 record is out of reach by any means. I am happy the Dolphins have proved me wrong about them so far and I look forward to them proving me wrong when I stated they wouldn't have a winning season this year.

Unlucky 13, Puka-head and Mexphin like this.
  31. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    If we come out of this five game stretch 3-2, I'll be very satisfied, particularly if we beat the Ravens.

32. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    You gonna be standing when were on D?

33. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Talk about being irked. I been trying to watch our highlights and all I see is two of our 1st passes to Wallace and then pretty much everything is Luck, Luck, Luck :pity:

Unlucky 13, mbsinmisc and Paul 13 like this.
  34. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Same old dolphins are 0-2.

RickyBobby, Paul 13 and mbsinmisc like this.
  35. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Carroll is what he is. That is why we need Patterson to recover from his groin injury and for Taylor and Davis to get over their injuries and start contributing. Carroll is not a starting CB in this league and he is merely a player who can come in to play in the nickle or dime packages. Unfortunately with all the injuries to the other CB's, he was the best available to start today. Hopefully Patterson will be back next week when the Dolphins defense faces a very good Falcons offense. If he isn't, White or Jones will probably have a big day if Carroll is the CB defending one of them.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  36. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I stand and cheer so much, the fans behind me are always telling me to sit down. I guess at my age, they figure I'm going to give myself a heart attack from the excitement. They just don't realize that I jog and walk nearly seven miles every day and I'm in pretty darn good shape for an old fart. It does usually take me at least three or four days to get my voice back after a Dolphin or Hurricane game.

I'll be yelling throughout the game next week. I just hope the stands are full and the crowd is loud.

37. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Kudos to you. I wish I had that type of self discipline.

38. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    We scored 24, and more importantly more than the other team (which is all that matters). But I still like to see more execution on offense. We have weapons. No reason we don't score 30+. I'd like to see Miller more involved. That will open up so much more.

39. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    The media is going ride that tampon until it's dried up.

It's unfortunate that Tanny had a very efficient game and won but still won't get the highlights. :pity:

Gunner likes this.
  40. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    That 54 yarder was huge. No way Carp hits that. Big time kick. D did well to hold Luck to 20 points. Shd have had at least one more pic, maybe two. No serious injuries. I'm a happy Dolphin fan.