1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suicide pool / league - opinions welcome

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football' started by dWreck, Sep 3, 2013.

1. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Me and my pops are doing a suicide pool thing for the season (a league him and his coworkers are in worth quite a bit...), we started doing it last year and actually made it to the top 5. I figured I'd reach out and take any help I could.
    incase you're not familiar with any kind of suicide pools, this one really only has 1 rule, you can only pick 1 team 1 time, and that's basically it. If you are incorrect then you are out of it, There are no spreads or anything, just pick 1 team to win that week. Last season I was able to manage most of it myself, but there were a few weeks I was unsure of, kind of like this week.

So far these are the teams i'm thinking about going with this week. Mind you, me and him both entered separately so technically we can have 2 different entries:

First week is always tough.
    1. Colts over the Raiders (@colts)
    2. Pats over the Bills (@bills)
    3. Steelers over the Titans (@PITT)
    4. Redskins over the Eagles (@skins)

I was considering the fins in my list of options, but there are so many question marks between the fins and the browns right now i'm just going to hold off until I actually see some things on the field before I make my fins pick, maybe 17.

If anyone could offer some suggestions and/or give me some feedback on teams you think will be winners week 1, I'd really appreciate it. :up:

edit:edits

2. I would take the bucs over the jets or KC over the jags. I try to look for the weaker teams that I think will win early in suicide leagues.

dWreck likes this.
  3. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    I live in bucs territory and sadly I don't think I'd feel confident enough on that game lol. KC over the jags is a viable option for sure... I'd like to get either of them out of the way.

4. I think your safe to bet against the jets every week. I got them going 0-17 :up:

I think KC is a solid pic over the jags too.

dWreck likes this.
  5. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Colts look pretty darn good as an option. As a rule Id be looking at whoever plays Oakland, the Jets, Buffalo, SD and Jax every week and be making decisions off that. Im thinking the Pats you will probably want to save til later on. There will be a week when youre not sure who to pick at all and cant narrow it down and like a knight in shining armor the Pats will be sitting there playing the Jets or some other scrub team and you'll say something like "ahh screw it, these bastards have been beating up my phins for years, they may as well make themselves useful and beat whoever..."

Pitt..Im in wait and see mode...theyre going to play a lot of close games imo. Washington is facing an offense they never faced and neither has anyone else really. Im not sold on either team. Houston, NYG (never lost in new Cowboys stadium and Eli seems to like it there) and tampa also look appealing

dWreck likes this.
  6. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    my dad said he probably just wants to pick X against the jets or bills every week. Lol

shula_guy likes this.
  7. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    was loving that random tidbit I saw in the other thread about the browns being 1-12 at their homeopeners since '99 or something like that

very tempting..

8. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    When it comes to survival pools, I try to stay with a home team. For that reason, I like the Colts. For a road team, I would take the Texans over SD.

dWreck likes this.
  9. IMO its a little early to use the colts. I would want to keep them as an available option for later in the season. My way of thinking is you take the weakest team you can get away with a win with. My way could get you out early but leaves you strong at the end if you make it that far. No guts, no glory.

dWreck likes this.
  10. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    I'm thinking the colts as well for that same reason. They are pretty random though. Like shula said it seems like it might be too early to pull the trigger on Luck

11. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    That would also depend on what you think of the colts this year. I think theyre a something around 7-9 to 9-7 this year and facing a fairly weak raider team. So essentially hes taking an average team imo

12. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Yeah I agree. That's what I was saying about them being random. I think I might need to look at the rest of their schedule and see if there is a game any more clear cut than this with the knowledge we have now

13. I agree the colts are a middle of the pack team. IMO this is a good week to get rid of a bottom feeder team like Tampa. I would be tempted to save the Colts for week 11 against the titans or at least week 4 against the jags.

14. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    I think you want to save strong teams like the Pats and Broncos. I don't consider the Colts to be a strong team.

One thing against the Colts. I usually try to avoid the public plays. I think the Colts are a 90%+ pick for week 1. Should a loss happen, that eliminates a lot of competition.

The Pats will be a high percentage pick as well.

I don't think Pittsburgh will be that good this year but they have a favorable week 1 matchup. Vegas favors them highly as well.

So take your pick between the Colts and Pitt.

15. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Fair enough. Even if I go with colts I need a 2nd pick for the old man as well.

16. Im not proclaiming the Colts are going to be a dominate team. I look at team selection from the perspective of getting the weakest teams out of the way when you can. How many chances are you going to get to eliminate the bucs from your have to play list.

As an example of what I mean, if it were me in this I would consider playing the first 3 weeks like this

Week 1. Bucs over the Jets
    Week 2. Bills over the Panthers (added) Oak home over Jags away looks good in week 2 also
    Week 3. Jets over the Bills

Obviously you have to look at it week by week but if those 3 picks hit I would of eliminated 3 of the worst teams to have to play. The trick to a suicide league is to get the weak teams out of the picture and avoid the upset games.

17. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    I don't like taking road teams in survivor. I'll take the Bucs December 8th against Buffalo if I need to.

18. I rethought the whole suicide pool thing and realized I only needed to play 17 teams so trying to get a team like the bucs out of the way isn't all that important.

I am going to take a stab at all 17 weeks right now before any games are played and see how close I get.

week 1. Ind vs Oak
    week 2. Det @ AZ
    week 3. NO vs AZ
    week 4. Bal @ Buf
    week 5. Atl vs NYJ
    week 6. Min @ Car
    week 7. Sea @ AZ
    week 8. Cin @ NYJ
    week 9. Was v SD
    week 10. NYG v Oak
    week 11. NE @ Car
    week 12. Hou vs Jac
    week 13. Dal vs Oak
    week 14. Den @ Tenn
    week 15. SF @ TB
    week 16. Chi @ Phi
    Week 17. Mia vs NYJ

I reserve the right to amend my picks as the season progresses and injuries mount

dWreck likes this.
  19. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Here's my go at it:

1. Indy vs Oak
    2. NE vs Jets
    3. Seattle vs Jax
    4. Wash @ Oak
    5. StL vs Jax
    6. KC vs Oak
    7. GB vs Clev
    8. SF @ Jax
    9. NO @ NYJ
    10. NYG vs Oak
    11. Hou vs Oak
    12. Balt vs NYJ
    13. Atl @ Buf
    14. TB vs Buf
    15. Den vs SD
    16. Tenn @ Jax
    17. Mia vs NYJ

dWreck and shula_guy like this.
  20. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Nice. This is pretty close to what I would do if I had to throw out an entire season worth of suicide picks... All around its really solid, my only REAL difference is that I have no confidence in tampa bay to do anything whatsoever.... EVER. Lol.

I see TB @ NYJ more of a cripple fight than anything this week.

ToddPhin likes this.
  21. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    week 1 update:

I could smack my pops in the head... he totally picked the 49ers for himself and submitted it before i knew about it... i'm obviously not too happy about the wasted pick that early but whatever.... I got my colts pick in at the last minute for this week.

This is what its looking like (there are a total of 22 people)

IND - 8 picks
    TB - 4 picks
    NE - 3 picks
    SF - 2 picks (dammit dad)
    HOU - 1 pick
    NO - 1 pick
    PHI - 1 pick
    PITT - 1 pick
    DEN - 1 pick

Colts seems like the obvious pick atleast for me here. but I definitely could see some of the other picks getting knocked out already. I'm surprised at some of the power houses getting wasted this early Pats, san fran, Denver? sheesh.
    Oh well, EZ $ I hope :up:

22. what happens if you tie?

23. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    do you mean at the end of the season when it dwindles down? I'm not even sure how they settle it really, only my second time and last year i got eliminated in the top 5 which actually wasnt at the end-end of the season. I did learn today that the prize pool is 1st place AND 2nd gets some too which i wasn't aware of.

Thats probably something I should find out though... If I had to assume it would probably be a split prize pool if its a dead even tie (like most suicide/survival pools do)

shula_guy likes this.
  24. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Not gunna say I called it... but holy **** did i call it. TB and NYJ was the epitome of a dumpster fire game

4 Guys already out of the pool for trusting the bucs, E-Z.

Oh. Steelers loss. Thank goodness I didn't go that route.

1 more out.

Still a couple games left. but losing 5 of the 22 in week 1 feels awesome :up:

Boik14, shula_guy and ToddPhin like this.
  25. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Who does everyone like this week? NE is the popular pick.

I like Philly. I don't like west coast teams playing on the east coast at 1pm. Add the Eagles active offense and I see it being a long day for SD.

26. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I like Philly as well. I'm not confident the Chargers 950 pound front three, 32 year old 260 pound Jarret Johnson, and 33 year old Dwight Freeney have the stamina to chase Philly's players around the field and keep up with their pace.

27. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    This is a tough week...atlanta is always a good home team. New orleans seems like a decent pick also but division games worry me.

28. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I completely forgot about the pool, i've been so busy lately, normally I do a ton of research for stuff like this. yesterday I got a text saying "I need your pick in 10 minutes" .... Wonderful.

So... I totally went with the Patriots this week. I mean, all things considered with my limited time to choose, the game seems like a gimme...And man some of the games are pretty tough to pick to this week - not impossible - but tough. Either way i'd love to see the Jests lose, but this is one of those "ugh can't they both lose and a meteor hit the stadium?" type games.

I haven't got the sheet of all picks yet, but i will update when I do. I think the old man went for HOU - which would have probably been my second choice.

ToddPhin likes this.
  29. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    I just barely squeaked by... wow. The one time I bet on the pats, of course, that happened.

30. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Week 2 picks:

Patriots - 4 (safe again, on to week 3)
    Saints - 3
    Falcons - 3
    Ravens - 3
    Texans - 2
    Packers - 1
    49ers - 1

The ravens are a giant question mark... I don't think you can really depend on them to beat anyone this year.

Also.. saints AT the bucs.. I obviously think the bucs are hot garbage, as shown last week, BUT. they might be able to snag 1 at home after that embarrassing last game.

I see both of these games as 6 possible easy outs this week. Heres to hoping. :up:

Also, whoever picked the niners must have forgotten how Russell was straight TOYING with them last year.

31. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    you still got the win ya flabby nutsack.

dWreck likes this.
  32. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    I mean lets be real though... any other year jets @ pats would have been a joke gimme game

that was just awful to watch...10x more awful than usual.

atleast it looks good for miami.

33. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    You didn't enjoy the emotion of it coming down to the wire?

34. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    I"M SO TORN!
    :cry:

ToddPhin likes this.
  35. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Chicago over Minnesota in suicide pools.

36. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL

zoinks, yo

37. I'll stand by my Det pick

38. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    pretty much everyone safe this week...dammit

39. Not me Detroit screwed me

40. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Welp.... i'm thinkin seahawks over jax this week... more specifically because its in SEA. I've been playing it very cautiously thus far, might as well stick with it while i'm on the early weeks still.