1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ignore Quotes

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Questions' started by VanDolPhan, Aug 27, 2013.

1. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I've been on forums where if you ignore someone...it applied to other users 'quotes' (Just the quotes itself). Here the mods keep telling us to put people on ignore.....but that doesn't work when those people get constantly quoted for their stupidity.

So any work around?

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Ignore the quoters? :lol:

finyank13 likes this.
  3. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    We've been waiting on the software developers to do this for a while but they dont make software specifically for our board but rather its a format we use. I dont handle the infrastructure of the board but theres no workaround for this as of now. I appreciate that you use your better judgement which I know isnt always easy to do when someone sees stuff they really dont agree with.

Paul 13 likes this.
  4. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Do posters that are being ignored have the right to know they are being ignored? :couch: Because if you are being ignored by someone, then you quote their post in a response, aren't you kind of wasting your time? I guess it's a slippery slope.

Bottom line, if you don't like a post, and you have difficulty with the ignore feature, report it. Just more work for us... wait... what? doh

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    What I would like to see in this regard is functionality that more closely approximates Twitter, where you can block people from seeing your tweets.

The thing about the current Ignore function is, it's completely voluntary. That can make it very one-sided. If I put several people on Ignore because all they seem to do is attack an antagonize when they address me, I had the ability to ignore those attacks whether I put them on Ignore or not. The Ignore function has therefore not really served any purpose for me. I won't automatically see what they have to say, but I could just as easily have ignored what they said before.

If I wasn't very motivated to ignore what a certain person said before, hence getting drawn into these arguments which detract from the board as a whole, then this Ignore feature does not suddenly bestow upon me any greater motivation to actually ignore someone.

As you go along, what you find is that the people utilizing the Ignore feature were probably not the worst offenders anyway as far as antagonism goes, because simply engaging the Ignore feature shows they have the ability to self-edit. Meanwhile the antagonists who have no motivation to self-edit continue seeing every post and posting inflammatory things in response, and have relative free rein to do so since the person most likely to report them for a TOS violation has volunteered not to see their posts.

On the other hand, if you have an Ignore feature which makes it so that THEY can't see what YOU post, then you've actually changed the dynamic. This would solve a lot of issues here at ThePhins. I truly believe it would reduce the number of pissing matches by a dramatic amount.

Third Man likes this.
  6. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Some of the suggestions are great ideas but we are limited by the VBulletin software as to what can be done.There are subprograms called hacks which are made by developers which we can sometimes use but those diappear when a new version of VBulletin comes out.The developers dont always make hacks for newer versions .

I personally liked a moderation hack which banned individual members from individual threads but its no longer available.