1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now do you think Egnew makes the team?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Paul 13, Aug 4, 2013.

Do you think Michael Egnew makes the team?

Poll closed Aug 9, 2013.
  1. Yeah baby

73.1%
  2. No way Jose

26.9%
  1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Same poll... but after the game with the Cowboys where he had 4 catches for 52 yards and didn't totally embarrass himself blocking.

Bpk likes this.
  2. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    by the way, last poll, 35 to 31 in favor of Egnew making the team.

3. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    There should be an unsure/maybe option. That's where I'm at. I really don't ****ING know anymore. Quit playing with my emotions, Nog

Larryfinfan and Bpk like this.
  4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I was one of the ones that voted yes before.

Never doubted him!

(blatantly untrue)

5. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Still a bit too early to say, but he's certainly heading in the right direction. I know reports said he really worked his *** off during the offseason so he might have what it takes.

unluckyluciano and Bpk like this.
  6. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    you must decide now!!! :lol:

7. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    he was doing MMA IIRC. Hope he got better lessons than George Zimmerman.

NolesNPhinsFan likes this.
  8. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    I just said yes cause I'm at about 51% - 49%. He might make it with continually decent showings in preseason and because Ireland might not want to let go

9. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    On paper tonight looks like a wash between Kyle Miller and Michael Egnew but on film I don't think that's the case. I was very impressed with the AGGRESSIVENESS of Egnew's blocking. It was a real surprise. Even the play where he got called for the penalty, he got that penalty by being too aggressive with his guy and doing everything he could to dominate him, knock him to the ground, basically incapacitate the man. There were other plays where if he had to cut a guy, he cut him and hit him with authority and power, and that dude went down. He took on big defensive ends at times one on one, and neutralized them. These were not 1st string players but compared with the suggestions you see about how Egnew normally blocks, tonight he did well. And when you look at it comparatively with Kyle Miller, there was no contest. They're both blocking the same quality players on the Cowboys defense but Miller was doing a poor job of it.

Then you have the passing game where Egnew had a "drop" at the beginning on a ball that when you see it on replay was actually thrown way behind him. But he caught everything else and even had that really nice long play up the seam. You could see him gaining confidence after that play (which he almost let go). After that he ran his routes with more authority, and caught the ball cleanly.

To me, Michael Egnew put distance between himself and Kyle Miller. The question is whether the staff will keep four tight ends.

10. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Now, why would the Dolphins keep Egnew on the team? They should clearly cut him. Of course, as luck would have it, he would immediately be claimed by the Patriots, who would then instantly turn him into a pro-bowl replacement for Aaron Hernandez. But, that's fate for ya. Always the bridesmaid...

11. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I voted yes, just like the last poll.

RoninFin4 likes this.
  12. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    next week, you'll have another chance to vote.. maybe!!

13. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Next week I probably won't need "maybe", GOSH.

14. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

On paper tonight we nearly outplayed the Cowboys.

Egnew surprised me tonight. Very happy he did.

So, yeah. I agree.

15. Kingtut561

Kingtut561 New Member

Apr 30, 2013
    West Palm Beach Fl,
    Why not keep him.

16. Bpk

Last time I voted 'Yes' but said I thought he'd disappoint, but stick because his upside was worth more than anyone else we had who would replace him right now.. but that he'd be gone in 2014.

After tonight, I voted Yes again, but think he may actually develop. Where before I help no long term hope for him (okay, some, but slim) now I have it as 60% chance he'll become a contributor this year.

17. Bpk

Ok.

(If only it were always that easy to convince ppl around here)

Larryfinfan likes this.
  18. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I voted yes on this one. I never really considered the other thread seriously because unless he bombs I dont think we give up on a 3rd round pick that easily. The mistakes I saw from him tonight were minor things. For instance there was one play in the second quarter where he made a catch and couldnt immediately turn and run upfield because he tucked the ball under the wrong arm relative to the way the defenders were positioned in immediate proximity. As a result he looked like a plodder even though hes not. He also slows down a lot when switching the ball from arm to arm.

Paul 13 likes this.
  19. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    No.

20. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Welp, he was on the field, the ball was directed his way, he made plays.

So keep him, when you feed a guy opportunities, he comes through, that is what is known as "performing", you do not cut people who perform.

21. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I said it before but this is a kid that really feeds off energy, but he unfortunately needs to get some touches to get that energy & swagger going.

DePhinistr8, vizi0n and ckparrothead like this.
  22. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Me too.

23. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Here I thought Martin would make the next step this year while Egnew would backslide. Looks like I got them backwards. Perhaps the tough love is paying off where Egnew is concerned.

I've been defending Martin though...but between him and Thomas looking more like a Guard.......Ireland might have to work some magic just to find someone serviceable at LT.

24. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Keller, Clay, Sims, Egnew?

Clay is used more as an H-Back, but is still a tight end, and Egnew lined up as a FB on t least one play. Plus, you have Lane and a few others fighting for that FB/HB role. It may boil down to the dreaded Special Teams play.

I will say this tough, Egnew looked solid, physically. He appears to have grown into his body some, which is encouraging.

25. PlanB

PlanB New Member

Mar 6, 2013
    I say trade him to New England for a 2nd rounder..........

26. vizi0n

vizi0n Boom.. Club Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Can you rewatch this game anywhere?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

27. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    He looked as good as I have ever seen him in a Dolphins uniform.

To me it's games like this that can get his confidence up. And on the surface I think he is the type of guy who NEEDS to be confident to play well, he visibly beats himself up when things aren't going well. A good performance like this could seriously parlay into many more, sounds ridiculous but it's possibly a career changing game for #83.

ToddPhin likes this.
  28. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Yeah, but then I thought he'd make the team before tonight...

29. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I TiVo'd it..

What time do you want to come over?

30. vizi0n

vizi0n Boom.. Club Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Stl is pretty far my friend lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

31. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    i just purchased the NFL rewind package for preseason, 20 bones, games not up to review as of yet though.

vizi0n likes this.
  32. bmicO

bmicO New Member

Mar 25, 2013
    I voted yes in both polls but i'm a little happier after tonight. The last one i voted yes simply because i thought we had a decent chance of keeping 4TEs and that he might get some work at receiver. After last night i think he should be ahead of Miller and might actually get some game time this season.

33. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Just to totally reiterate what Todd said earlier about Egnew and how he plays to his confidence level...there was a point last night at which I could tell that Michael Egnew was on the field by how athletic that tight end looked running his routes.

Sadly, you can't usually tell that...because he's not running with confidence. He was feeling it last night. I hope he carries that momentum with him.

ToddPhin likes this.
  34. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    I posted a few days ago about Egnew. Whole pre-season will dictate him making the team. Not 1 game. He's started off ok.

35. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    NFL Network will replay it today at 4:00 I think I saw this AM.

36. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Egnew looked like a STUD!

37. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

He made some tough catches....and the one where he had a nice gain up the seam, I can remember thinking, damn...for a TE that boy can run. I voted Yes...if he continues to develop, I think he could make a very good weapon.

38. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Like I said a while ago, I really hoped the coaches would just do the same thing they did with John Jerry once upon a time. They took a guy that was down in everyone's mind and they just gave him rep after rep after rep to see how he'd respond. That's what I want them to do with Michael Egnew, call his number in the offense and pitch it to him, see how he responds.

He responded pretty well to it last night, I have to say. And I think they definitely made an effort to get him involved. At one point Matt Moore took a costly sack on a bootleg that was designed to go to Egnew for a touchdown. That's a play call. You call that play thinking, this should be an Egnew touchdown if things go right. The safety was never fooled by the play fake though and was squatting in front of Egnew the whole time, who also had coverage in trail. I thought Moore might've had a shot at squeezing the ball in if he had got his head around and thrown it quickly, but he waited and should have thrown it away after that.

Here's to hoping they keep calling his number to see what he's got. But truthfully, they're likely to focus on getting Dion Sims, Charles Clay or Dustin Keller more involved next game. It's a crowded position.

ToddPhin likes this.
  39. 72 Dolphins

72 Dolphins New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    It's a lock.

40. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    If he keeps blocking the way he did last night, he will make the team.

ToddPhin likes this.