1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cure for Cancer?

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by finyank13, Jul 15, 2013.

1. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
  2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I hope so, I ****ing hate that disease.

Colorado Dolfan and finyank13 like this.
  3. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I personally don't know that it would be amazing. I mean it would be amazing in that the accomplishment would be incredibly impressive and noteworthy. However, if cancer is cured, I personally believe it will just create a bit of a lull until an even worse disease rears its head that is far more cruel and effective. Additionally, I would be concerned about the increased number of individuals living much longer, as I already believe we're (not just US, but worldwide, though I do believe the US to be lacking) ill equipped to support the existing number of individuals who reach ages where assistance is typically needed (whether physical, monetary, or otherwise). Eventually that could be overcome, but I don't know if we could right the ship so to speak before it went under.

4. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I mean blame the healthcare system, the companies and the politicians who make affordable healthcare so difficult to attain; however I think to use cancer as a form of population control because the system sucks and it would be flooded should it be cured isn't the best way imo. Change the system, we are one of the most innovative Countries in the world we can figure it out. Cancer not only takes from the old but moreover the young as well, it is truly heart-wrenching disease. Life expectancies are what they are regardless of how many people live in this Country. Eventually the natural course will take place.

As far as additional diseases I guess time will tell but right now cancer is pretty damn cruel to the terminal cancer patients...

MikeHoncho likes this.
  5. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    It will be amazing but at the same time kind of lame, as it gives people no incentive to eat healthy or make proper choices in their lives. I could actually see it being a terrible thing for society.

Before I get screamed at: My grandfather died of lung cancer. Closest I've ever been to a person. Still not sure it would be a good thing for a society that acts the way we do. Also for the reasons Stitches said.

6. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Well, cancer itself hasn't exactly given people the incentive to eat healthier and live healthier lives. It is estimated that around 20% of adults in the US smoke tobacco. The knowledge that directly links smoking to cancer doesn't seem to stop folks from doing it, much less the link to COPD and other debilitating lung diseases.

At the risk of this turning into a political discussion, the societal problem here is the entitlement programs the federal government has. The idea that people can get their health care for free is what has given folks no incentive to actually live healthy lives.

People need to be responsible for their own actions and stop blaming others. If you eat a fast food diet, then don't be surprised and blame the fast food places when you are obese, have hypertension, type 2 diabetes that is uncontrolled, gout flare ups from the excess uric acid in your blood, hyperlipidemia, and colon cancer. Not to mention that I believe there is a direct link between osteoarthritis and the massive amounts of omega 6 fatty acids people take in through their diets.

I'm convinced that a cure for cancer can be found, but I am also convinced that the federal government will never allow a cure to be marketed. It is probably crass to say this, but cancer is an easy way for the government to hand out disability and get people dependent upon them. The powers that be that control the FDA will never allow a cure to pass because it will likely cut the people who are dependent upon the government in half.

7. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Beautiful news. One step closer.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

finyank13 likes this.
  8. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    It is widely believed and speculated that cancer cures have existed for years but cancer is worth about a 160 BILLION a year to big pharma who has no interest in curing cancer when they can treat you over and over again for the same disease. When you consider the financial ramifications, the fact that many pharmaceutical companies are now exempt from lawsuits for drugs they put out and the lack of overall ethics in the pharmaceutical field it becomes all the more a reasonable accusation. Additionally the money involved is absolutely absurd but it also keeps thousands of people employed.

http://worldtruth.tv/cancer-is-finally-cured-in-canada-but-big-pharma-has-no-interest/
    http://worldtruth.tv/spain-study-confirms-hemp-oil-cures-cancer-without-side-effects/

MikeHoncho, finyank13 and FinSane like this.
  9. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    They've already had the cure for cancer for years. Scientists experimented with injecting THC(the psychoactive chemical in marijuana) into rats with tumors grown on their backs. Within days, the tumors shrank and the rats were effectively cured with no reoccurring cancer. Of course, further researched was canceled thanks to the lovely DEA.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam/cannabis/healthprofessional/page4

finyank13 and Boik14 like this.
  10. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    You guys are way off base and completely wrong:

1) Boik, if a pharmaceutical company had a cure for particular cancers, it would be worth WAY more money than what they are making now on current treatments. Insurance companies will pay much more for a cure than a treatment. I work for a company that has come out with two remarkable treatments, essentially cures for critical diseases lately, and the insurance companies let my company charge an obscene amount of money, because it's cheaper than treatments that keep people strung along.
    2) FinSane: you need to actually read the article. It says nothing about a cure. It says THC possibly has a chemopreventative effect in mice, not a curative effect. First of all, thousands of different chemicals have a chemopreventive effect in mice, it's why mouse pharmacology models for cancer are not worth a damn. Second, it's chemopreventative because it kills cells, somehow I doubt it's selective only for cancer cells, so it won't work very well as a prophylactic.

11. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I dont really feel like thats accurate.

For starters I never said it had to be a pharmaceutical company that had to have the cure. For example, something like Hemp oil (which has been tested on and worked on humans) is readily available and cheap and its not something big pharma can corner the market place on and price gauge the way they do. That would destroy 160 billion dollars worth of income for big pharma. More to the point though, it is much more profitable to "milk the cow" (the cow being the general population) for treatments over and over again then to simply overcharge for a pill or something. Its not even close. Even if they charged some absurd amount for a pill or a shot it still wouldnt equate to what they charge for chemo or cyberknife multiplied over and over again.

Secondly, a lot of drugs and vaccines given in the country are designed to keep people sick. They dont give cures, they give temporary solutions to keep you coming back and the very model the insurance companies created allows this. The model Im referring to by the way is the one that allows the health industry in the US to be viewed as a business rather then a social issue. And I feel like big pharma is allowed to mess with peoples health far too much in this country and dictate far too much regarding policy.

12. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Jobs > Lives