1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P.C. help

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by RGF, Jul 5, 2013.

1. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Any computer guru's here.? I need your help. My computer running on Windows XP seems to have start-up issues. It starts to show the windows screen like its booting up then it goes to a different screen giving me start up options but nothing happens when I try the other options, even safe mode doesnt load at all it just shows a lot of nonsense that I know nothing about. I know this info is vague but does it make sense to anyone? Any help is appreciated.

2. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Try giving safe mode some time. It usually takes a while for your computer to boot in safe mode. While it is working you will have a black screen with a bunch of commands being listed as they are completed. It may look like it is stuck on some of them, but it is working. Check to see if the light is blinking on your computer, if it is, then it is working.

If you have an XP cd, there are some other options. You can boot off the cd and try to repair the install. If not, you will have to format using the CD and start fresh. That is the extreme case though. I would try giving safe mode some time.

When you select "start windows normally" what happens then?

EDIT: Once in safe mode, try to run all of your anit malware and spyware programs. Safe mode only loads the bare minimum when it comes to devices and processes, so chances are it won't load the malware/virus that *MAY* be causing this issue. I've had this happen to me back in the day, but still wasn't able to remove the malware/spyware and had to reformat. If you can't run those programs either, just simply SHUT DOWN. If you get into safe mode successfully, you should be ok on your next boot up. Always try to run your virus/malware programs in safe though.

RGF likes this.
  3. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    When I select "start windows normally" it just tries to boot then goes right back to the same screen.I 'll try to run safe mode and see what happens. I didnt know it takes a while to boot up in safe mode.Thank you....EDIT. it seems to be blinking when trying to load safe in safe mode. If the mother board was bad would it still be blinking? Just trying to rule out possibilities. Also I cant find my XP cd

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, take out the Cmoss battery(ies) and press the power button with the box unplugged.

5. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    I sure hope you're messing with me cause I have no idea what the hell you're talking about. : /

6. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY

Thank you Tone E. Thanks to you I`m typing this on my PC that I nearly threw out the window earlier. I let it start in safe mode then did a system restore from an earlier start up point and it worked.:hi5:

7. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Nice! Happy to help.

RGF likes this.
  8. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Just keep in mind that Windows XP is 9 months away from its end of life. No more security updates, no more patches, no more support. Take this incident as a sign to get something new; XP is an albatross at this point.

RGF likes this.
  9. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY

Thanks for the info. Whats the newest version? Windows 7 , 8 or ? ....And,at the risk of sounding totally clueless I have a question.If I upgrade the operating system do I lose any current files or anything currently on my computer.?

10. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Windows 8 is the most current release, with 8.1 coming later this year (free upgrade if you have 8 already, otherwise it's normally priced).

I don't recommend upgrading a Windows XP PC. It likely doesn't even have the horsepower to make running a new OS worth it. You're firmly in "get a new computer entirely" territory. You can then copy your files over from your XP PC.

Or you can get a Mac. :up:

RGF likes this.
  11. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    The latest version is Windows 8 but you can also opt for Windows 7. If you decide to go that route. Make sure your hardware supports it & make sure you backup all your data to an external hard drive, which you can get for cheap now a days.

Whatever OS you decide with, make sure you download drivers for that OS for each hardware you have. Of course the OS might pick it up during installation but its always best to be prepared.

Is your PC a manufacturer's (eg Dell, Sony, etc....) or a custom build?

It's always best to do a fresh install when installing a new OS, so whatever issues you had previously doesn't show up in the new one.

Of course, you can do an upgrade but you might have issues hence doing a fresh install is better. Its all up to you.

-Sent from my TMO Samsung Galaxy S4

RGF likes this.
  12. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    I have a Compaq. Still have a ton of space on it and its relatively fast. "Download drivers", can you explain a little further? Thanks

13. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    A driver is software that allows your operating system to interact with your computer's hardware. For example, if you don't have a driver for your graphics chip, you won't be able to see anything on your display.

You're really best off with a new computer. Compaq does not exactly make the most… future-proof products.

RGF likes this.
  14. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    You're gonna need a hammer for this...

15. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY

Ball peen ? Claw? Sledge ? A little more specific please.

TiP54 likes this.
  16. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Looks like you are getting all the advise you need here...I will chip in with a small recommendation.

If you decide to get a new computer...go with Windows 7. Most of its kink and scratches have been polished, and since you familiar with XP, it will be an easier transition to 7 rather than 8. I bought my mom a new laptop in January, it had Windows 8 on it. She wasn't a computer guru by any stretch of imagination, but she could manage to do whatever it is that she needed on her own. Do research for her classes, pay bills, browse, etc...She hates Windows 8, and I have to help her constantly.

So the point of my little story is if you are going with a new computer, get Win7, it will make your transition smoother.

RGF likes this.
  17. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I would vote against Windows 7. The new interface of 8 is here to stay, and the sooner you get used to it, the better. 7 is already approaching 5 years old, and most of 8's UI defects are fixed in the forthcoming 8.1. It's also better under the hood.

When using 8, think of the new start screen as a full screen start menu and you'll adapt better.

RGF likes this.
  18. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    My problem is that 8 has whole bunch of "apps" that nobody uses to begin with. Skype, their picture viewinig, video running...everything defaults through their apps. Yes, you can change that but again, I'm talking about not exactly computer folk. If RGF is a dude who uses his PC for stuff like Forums, paying bills, and staying in touch with friends and fam, he won't benefit from 8 any more than he would from 7, he would have to re-learn everything, which again, unnecessary complication for people who don't care for it.

RGF likes this.
  19. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    What's bad about that, though? Every OS has default settings like that.

RGF would benefit because Windows 8 will be supported longer than 7. Again, 7 is already half a decade old. Mainstream support ends in 2 years. Windows 8 will last until 2018. He will get more ROI with a Windows 8 device over 7. (He'd be best served with a Mac, IMO, but I'm not advocating that here.)

There also isn't too much new to learn in 8, once you understand that Metro apps will launch in their own environment. And you can switch between the desktop and the Start Screen via the Windows key on the keyboard. It's jarring, but the functionality is essentially the same. I say this as someone who despised Windows 8 when the new UI was revealed. But it's a better OS than 7, even if it requires some relearning for those of us who grew up with the desktop metaphor; those who are growing up with iOS and mobile devices function just fine in Windows 8.

RGF likes this.
  20. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Not saying it's "bad" But it's different. If somebody is used to doing something a certain way, and has a chance to do it the same way without having to go thru the trouble of re-learning it, especially since it might take them longer than let's say you or me - why do it?
    You're right about it about 7 being older and that it's "mainstream" support will end in 2 years. But again, what does he use his computer for now? If he goes out and spends $500 on a computer (assuming he uses it for what I said that he does) he won't need any support. Everyday casual use doesn't really require anything but a decent antivirus in case that you stumble upon a shady website.
    Because Desides would never do something like that, right? ;)
    Again, it may seem that way to you or me. I am basing my argument of my mother - who was computer savy enough to go about her casual surfing/research/email stuff without any trouble what so ever on XP without being any sort of computer wiz, and struggling greatly with 8.
    Seven is still the most common OS on the market and people aren't exactly in a hurry to jump ship.

This debate can go on forever, especially with you, and I don't mean that as a jab.
    My point is that he can go with something similar to what he knows and comfortable with, or something that he will have a learning curve with. I suggest he goes with something he will be more comfortable with, that's all.

RGF likes this.
  21. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Because it's better.

"Support" doesn't mean "call the help line." Support means security patches and bug fixes, definition updates for the built-in antivirus, and driver certification. You bet he'll need security patches and bug fixes.

Not in this thread! :lol:

I get what you're saying. The point is that sticking with what has been familiar for the last 10 years is not the positive you present it to be. Computing is changing. It does RGF (and your mother) no favors to throw up hands and give up. Moreover, the issue is largely overblown: the interface changes are not that drastic, and the problem your mother encountered was one of expectations. She got something new and expected it to work like the old, but that's not a valid expectation. No one buys a new car and expects it to be exactly like the previous.

If all RGF is going to do is read some forums, pay a bill or two, and email the family once in a while, then the device he's actually looking for is an iPad. But we don't know if that's what he wants to do, because you invented that use case for him. Let's assume he does more than that, does something that requires a desktop. He has to get off XP, period. The fact that he's still on XP speaks to him not buying new computers very often. Therefore, his best bet is to get a device that will last as long as possible into the future. That's Windows 8, not Windows 7.

RGF likes this.
  22. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

This really is the deciding factor. Windows 8 is designed to be used on a touch screen device. If you don't mind working with a puny monitor and a chicklet keyboard then Windows 8 is the way to go. It really is much cheaper. If you want to stick with a desktop, keyboard and mouse then Windows 7 is a better solution. Security support for Windows 7 ends in Jan. 2020. Whichever system you decide to purchase will be dead by then.

RGF likes this.
  23. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Extended (read: corporate) support ends in 2020. End user support ends two years off.

And given how we're talking about a Compaq PC with Windows XP, I wouldn't make the assumption that a new PC would be dead sooner than X Date.

RGF likes this.
  24. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

That's a nice job of cherry picking. The fact remains that the current version of Windows 8 is designed for touch screens and is not workstation friendly. Release 8.1 is suppose to bring back Windows 7 functionality and a boot-to-desktop option. The Start Button is way more important to me and my corporate clients than Live Tiles will ever be.

texanphinatic and RGF like this.
  25. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    What am I cherry picking? We aren't talking about enterprise environments, and RGF's PC has lasted for a decade. I'm not cherry picking; you're wildly off topic.

Whether it's workstation friendly is irrelevant, because we aren't talking about workstations—we're talking about someone at home. RGF can upgrade to 8.1 for free, which will let him boot to desktop and will show a Start button in the taskbar. In the meantime, there are 6 hojillion Start button replacement apps available which also let you boot straight to desktop for those who don't want to click the blatantly obvious Desktop tile.

We're never deploying Windows 8 at work: partially because we're still migrating to 7, partially because we're putting out thin clients in a lot of areas, and partially because our vendors haven't certified their products yet. But that doesn't mean it's an inferior choice for someone at home, especially since 8.1 is a free update. IMO, the improvements to power management alone are worth spending 30 minutes learning hot corners for.

I'm running 8 at home on my gaming PC and 7 at work.

RGF likes this.
  26. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    What do u plan to do with your PC? Is money an issue? If u only need to surf & do some doc editing then consider a Google chromebook or their mini desktop version.

If you need more I would consider what the fellas are suggesting & get a new system. I would get windows 8 on it to be future proof.

I run Windows 8 on my desktop & laptop. I like it better than Windows 7, plus I use the classic start menu software. There are a few Ines out there if u want the classic start button look.

-Sent from my TMO Samsung Galaxy S4

#1 fan and RGF like this.
  27. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Thanks for all the info guys. I`m probably learning more here than I would at some electronic outlet chain. Personally I only use my computer for basic things like checking e-mail, storing some pictures and music, web-searching and paying bills and that sort of thing. I don`t use it for business or have a lot of programs downloaded that I don`t need, which is probably the reason I have had it this long. When I do decide to upgrade to another computer it sounds like I have some decisions to make regarding whats best for me. I also ran a test on this PC to see if its compatible to upgrade to W8 and it said its 1 RAM short. ( whatever the hell that means).

Also, I have an unrelated question. I have heard conflicting stories regarding whats best for the comp. when you`re finished using it. Is it best to shut the tower off or leave it running? Some people tell me to shut it down while others say leave it running and turn the screen off because the constant start-ups diminish the life of the computer altogether. I pretty much use my computer everyday but maybe only for an hour or two at a time. Again, thanks for all this help.

28. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You might be best served with an iPad, though I admit it makes writing long forum posts or multi-quote posts like this a bit of a pain. Either way, you don't need much computing power, though you definitely need to get off XP.

RAM is your computer's immediate short-term storage. It's much, much faster than a hard drive, so your computer will store frequently accessed data there to make loading quicker. RAM clears when you reboot or shut down the computer.

A more important point: you do not want to continue using your current hardware. Upgrading your current OS while keeping the same PC is, in this instance, a bad idea. You want new hardware.

Since your computer is so old and running an old OS, you're better off shutting it down; it's power inefficient, so you only want to use it when you have to, though I imagine it's pretty slow to boot up. Getting a modern PC running Intel's latest CPU (the Core iX-4XXX line) on Windows 8 will let you keep the PC on at all times, especially if you have a solid state drive (SSD). Modern PCs are much, much more power efficient than they used to be. Modern PCs also tend to use sleep mode just like laptops, which helps out too.

RGF likes this.
  29. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    ^My PC hibernates after like 15 minutes of inactivity.

RGF likes this.
  30. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    The issue with powering down and turning on your computer comes from the fact that heat changes the consistency of the board. The more it stays at once temperature the more the board/components will stay the same size as heat affects materials as far as expansion and contraction. What happens is....after X amount of time....some shorter, some longer, but still years....the board will get tired of expanding and contracting because of the heat and crack. That small crack or disconnection causes a short or a bad motherboard. That's why people say leave it on and your computer will last longer. If you're not really worried about that...then by all means...shut the thing off or let it hibernate. I never cut my computer off. I do set my monitor to turn off at 30 minutes and the computer will hibernate after an hour, but never shutdown.

RGF likes this.
  31. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Note that hibernation and waking from sleep is better on newer hardware, especially if you have a solid state drive. An SSD is the single most impactful upgrade you can buy.

32. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    At home I turn them off always.
    At work my computer has been on for 8 years.

33. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Have a feeling I already know the answer, BUT , what can I do if I cant even start my pc in safe mode?....Had to bump this topic.

34. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    If you still have your windows install disk, boot to it. Try the startup repair mode. If you don't you must google/burn an image of it.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

35. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Excuse my unknowledgeable questions...but will a bad hard drive cause it to not boot up.?

36. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Depends on what you mean by bad. But yeah, i would say so.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

37. PhinishLine

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    If the portion that is bad contains the boot files or if there is a mechanical failure where the heads went even move then no it will not boot up. Bad boot files aren't hard to recover from. Drive mechanical failure on the other hand is a bit different.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

38. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    The hard drive sounds like its starting to boot up and the indicator light in front of the PC flashes like it normally would....then just stops and then it returns to the start up options screen. It wont start up in safe mode either.

39. PhinishLine

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    Safe mode might be corrupt as well. As stated before by another member, a Windows install disk can be used to get you to a command prompt so you can run a chkdsk.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

40. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Dont have a windows install disc unfortunately....where would i find one?