1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Liberia

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by MikeHoncho, Jun 26, 2013.

1. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Pardon my naivete, but I honestly, up until about a couple days ago, had no idea about the history of this country. Holy ****.

I knew about Rwanda and the Belgians' contribution to its state, but... Liberia is, quite something to behold (from an American perspective).

This is stuff you don't hear about in high school when they talk about US slavery, its abolition, and the aftermath.

The following is a documentary by Vice (spoiler: some graphic stuff through the begining) of the post 3rd civil war conditions.
    http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/vice-guide-travel-liberia/#ooid=s5ZGZpMjr8U64DfnrjQF0kLrO0J9cyVK

Eshlemon likes this.
  2. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Didn't need any more reasons why the UN is an absolute joke.

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That was sort of the norm in some parts of Africa

4. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

The first congregation I served many years ago sponsored a medical doctor at a hospital in the interior. He would return on furlough and come speak to us. The primitiveness of the nation was horrible. I vividly remember him telling of going to a med school reunion. Not another doctor in his class had ever seen a case of measles and he lost a child a month or more to the disease!

5. Eshlemon

Eshlemon Well-Known Member

Me too. It can be tough to get information on certain under-reported and researched parts of history. Not a video for the faint of heart.

6. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    After this video I've stopped *****ing, fearing, and really whining about almost anything in my daily life outside off course of things related to family.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  7. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    You're talking about American Colonization Society right?

8. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Yessir

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4