1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

List your favorite shows & mini series

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by ToddPhin, May 24, 2013.

1. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Maybe we can help each other find new shows based on similar taste preferences. Guess I'll start.

My big list
    Hannibal 10/10
    Breaking Bad 10/10
    The Wire 10/10
    Suits 10/10
    Generation Kill 9.8/10 (mini series from the creator of The Wire)
    Deadwood
    9.8/10 (worth watching for Ian McShane's role alone)
    House of Cards 9.8/10 (Netflix original; make it through the first episode and you're hooked)
    Fargo 9.5/10
    Terriers
    9.5/10 (1 season must-see mini series)
    Misfits 9.5/10 (British brilliance)
    Banshee
    9.4/10
    The Newsroom 9.4/10
    The Fall 9.4/10 (BBC serial killer drama/suspense)
    Top of the lake 9.3/10 (7 part mini series by BBC)
    Rectify 9.3/10
    True Detective
    9.3/10
    The Americans
    9.2/10
    The Bridge 9.2/10
    Sherlock 9.2/10 (BBC)
    Halt and Catch Fire 9.1/10
    Utopia 9.1/10 (British mystery/sci-fi/thriller)
    Orange is the New Black 9/10
    Rake
    9/10 (Australian version only)
    The Kill Point
    9/10 (mini series)
    The Company 9/10 (mini series about espionage during the Cold War)
    Party Down 8.9/10 (must see comedy)
    Luther 8.9/10 (BBC)
    Vikings 8.8/10
    Californication 8.8/10
    Archer 8.8/10
    The Killing 8.8/10
    BroadChurch 8.7/10 (British crime/mystery)
    The Inbetweeners 8.7/10 (hilarious British high school comedy)
    Hemlock Grove 8.6/10 (Netflix original;finally a decent horror series)
    Freaks and Geeks 8.5/10
    House of Lies 8.5/10
    The League
    8.5/10
    Graceland
    8.3/10
    Homeland
    8.2/10
    Life on Mars 8/10 (BBC)
    Hell on Wheels 8.0/10
    Blue Mountain State 8/10 (raunchy college football comedy)
    Bates Motel 7.5/10
    True Blood 7.5/10
    White Collar
    7.5/10
    Breakout Kings 7.5/10
    The Glades
    7/10
    Psych 7/10
    Eastbound & Down 7/10 (HBO)
    Harper's Island 6.5/10 (mini series; mystery/horror)
    Alphas 6.5/10
    Penny Dreadful 5/10

2. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    ^^just wrote a giant list for nothing.

favorite shows: west wing, nypd blue.
    favorite mini series: no idea, hatfield and mccoys was dope though.

SICK likes this.
  3. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    why'd I write a giant list for nothing?

4. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    You watch a lot of television shows...

gunn34 and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Nip/Tuck is a 9/10 but you bag on GoT????!!!!????

I feel unclean for cumming inside you. My seed is a gift you don't deserve.

I not only want to break up, but I want you stricken from my memory.

You're a horrible person. I hate you now.

Ohio Fanatic and ToddPhin like this.
  6. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Yeah seriously, what the hell is that all about? I've heard criticisms of GoT before but they never included anything about the casting. That blows my mind.

Fin D likes this.
  7. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    but if it weren't for Famke Jannsen's role I would've never accepted you for the beautiful but poorly hung woman you became.

8. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    It's probably b/c I tried to get into GoT immediately after Vikings.

muscle979 likes this.
  9. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    24 is missing.

I couldn't get through two episodes of Vikings. I guess its just personal preference. BUT, if you are going to compare to GOT, the acting and production value of Vikings is only nipping at the heels of GOT. JMO

The Bible was a great miniseries

Burn Notice deserves mention...at least for what it is and what it doesn't pretend to be

Season 1 of Heroes.

Awake and Life were short run NBC series that were both very underrated imo

The Pacific really only had 2 or 3 great episodes. The Iwo Jima episode where Basilone marries the girl and...stuff is beautiful. It could have been a movie. But most of the series is forgettable.

Damages is another great show.

Never liked Nip/Tuck

ToddPhin likes this.
  10. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Arrested Development is favorite Comedy, close 2nds are Scrubs, Office, Cheers, Friends
    Lost is my favorite show ever, also love Breaking bad, Dexter, 24, Season 7 of Hard Knocks

ToddPhin and maynard like this.
  11. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008

The Wire
    Mad Men
    GoT
    Breaking Bad
    Angry Boys - amazing. Wish it was a series
    The League - overlooked bc of Always Sunny, but this is an excellent show
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Shameless
    Boardwalk Empire
    Always Sunny - writing can be hit or miss, but still a great show
    Veep - quickly becoming my favorite current comedy

Probably a lot more I'm not even remembering. John from Cincinnati was good too, wish it wasn't canceled.

12. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    nip tuck sucks balls. Seriously after about the 3rd season it seriously hit the ****s.

maynard likes this.
  13. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    shameless too! love that show

14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Game of Thrones
    Deadliest Catch
    (these 2 are 1.1 and 1.A in my all time tops list)
    ---------------------------
    Arrested Development
    How I Met Your Mother
    Sherlock
    Luther
    Scrubs
    Raising Hope
    House
    Burn Notice
    Psych
    Eureka

maynard and ToddPhin like this.
  15. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Going to check out Top of the Lake. I'm intrigued...

Right now these are the shows I watch in order of awesomeness.

Breaking Bad
    Game of Thrones
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    It's Always Sunny in Philedelphia
    Supernatural
    Hannibal
    True Blood
    The Walking Dead (it's starting to lose me...)
    The Mentalist (been losing me, needs to wrap up)
    Dexter (final season should redeem the middle crappy ones)

There have been other great shows/mini series I've watched that are done with, so I won't go through them all Notables are Rome, House, Lost, Generation Kill, etc...

ToddPhin likes this.
  16. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I'd put 24 on there but after the 27th season I grew a little tired of.

I thought the acting in Vikings was better & fresher than season 1 of GoT. That's why I couldn't get into it.
    1. From episode one I was waiting for Gandalf the Grey to pop in and join Ned Stark (Sean Benn) for a few pints. I thought it was a poor casting job to stick him in a similar role to what he played 3 times in LoTR and is most recognized for. I want characters that easily submerse me in their new mystical world, not remind me of ones they previously played in. Thought casting him was lazy and unoriginal.
    2. Ditto with Kal Drago (Jason Momoa). Are there really that few actors in existence capable of playing his role that they've gotta pick the man who just finished playing Konan the Barbarian? Give me a different actor with a fresh face is all I'm sayin'. Right from the start I have LoTR & Conan preventing GoT from truly creating its own identity.
    3. Ditto again with Lena Headey. They couldn't find another hot, sexy-accented, mid 30's actress to play this role who wasn't already in 300, Merlin, Anazapta, and Brother's Grimm for Pete sake? The season 1 cast is like one big cliche. BTW, Headey was in a great low budget horror movie, Laid to Rest (no use of CGIs).
    3. Ned's wife, Kaitlyn (Michelle Fairley). During a mystical, medieval time this is the best they could come up with? She looks like a house maid. bland & dull.
    4. Kit Harrington (Jon Snow) didn't overwhelm me in the least. Seems as bland as Kaitlyn Stark.

With Vikings, it's mostly fresh faces, and the lead character, Travis Fimmel, is outstanding. His wife, (Katheryn Winnick) is what Lena Headey's GoT role should've been like. Felt it was superbly cast, well written, and love the scenery. For me, the first season of GoT feels more like men's soap opera, where as Vikings feels like more like a cross between 300 and Spartacus season 1. Maybe seasons 2 and on improve so I'll keep watching it.

Haven't seen Bible or Burn Notice.

Mainstream ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox stuff I pretty much stay away from.

17. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Forgot about Arrested Development. Intrigued to see how the new season turns out.

If you want a great comedy, gotta watch the 20 episodes of Party Down (30 minute episodes). Hilarious stuff! Paul Rudd was one of the creators. About a group of actors who move to LA but end up working as caterers. Awesome cast: Adam Scott, Ken Marino, Jane Lynch, Lizzy Caplan, Kristin Bell, Martin Starr, Jennifer Coolidge (Stiffler's mom), Megan Mullally (Will & Grace), and some nice cameos (including George Takei playing himself). http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1073507/

18. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Will have to check out Angry Boys.
    Forgot about Veep. Good show.

19. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I'm interested in Hannibal..... but apprehensive about giving any time to standard tv shows.

20. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Me too. I started watching 6 episodes deep (only going to be 13 per season). I thought it was going to be stupid, NBC bull****. Turns out, it's very intriguing. I love Mads interpretation of Hannibal. Very unique from the films.

ToddPhin likes this.
  21. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    There's so much stupid in this post its like listening to Sick defend pro wrestling as a legitimate sport.

First of all, Jackass, Jason Momoa was in GoT BEFORE Conan. The casting director that hired him for GoT ended up being the casting director for Conan.

Secondly, saying Sean Bean's characters in GoT and LotR are the same is like saying Tannehill and Henne are the same.

Third, blasting a show for hiring actors you've seen before means you should be raped by pigs and their corkscrew-like *****. I'm guessing since you've never seen a movie with a douche nozzle getting raped by pigs, you won't feel its derivative.

Lastly, GoT is not an action fantasy, so if you went in expecting one, that makes you bucket of shrimp stupid.

PS. Your entirely & thoroughly dumb *** can't even count.

22. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    don't give a crap what order it happened. The release dates were within months of each other, putz. Casting Momoa as Conan is a damper for anyone who didn't watch GoT during season 1.
    Yeah, both play QB. Close enough. If you think the roles are dissimilar you're an idiot.
    No stoopid, I'm criticizing a show for hiring actors who have played similar roles, to the point of being on the verge of typecast.
    Wasn't expecting one.
    that was the only thing wrong with my post.

23. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Have you actually watched the entire Season 1 yet?

24. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    halfway

25. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Yeah... Gotta agree with FinD on this one. Your game of thrones assessment is an epic fail. Seems like you have bias towards all the actors for having acted previously in period and or fantasy films. None if these actors are recreating previous roles. One of the best casts on TV. Which is a huge concern once their contracts come up...

Fin D likes this.
  26. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    The cast of GoT is every bit as epic as the George Martin story it's all based off of. Even book readers love the cast of GoT and they're the ones in any book based movie or series who are usually the toughest critics of poor casting because they have the best knowledge [outside of the author obviously] of what the characters should look and act like.

Fin D likes this.
  27. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Then you really have no idea what you're spewing.

There has never been a show or movie that is anything like GoT. Its like you're saying The Wire/Law & Order/Lethal Weapon are the same. In fact, GoT has more in common with The Wire/The Sopranos than it does with LotR/Merlin/any other movie or show with swords and dragons.

What I'm saying is 100% indisputable fact. That's not a challenge either. It just is...like death and taxes.

You are not wrong to dislike the show, its just your specific gripes are wrong.

28. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008

This is the most uninformed, ridiculous, unintelligent post I've seen on this forum in a long, long time. And that is saying a lot after this past offseason. (before free agency)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I didn't say they're recreating previous roles, and it's certainly not a bias on my part. It's my personal opinion that I don't like casting characters that played in a similar role previously b/c FOR ME it takes me away from the realism and authenticity of the current role. Seeing Ned Stark played by Sean Bean had me distracted and thinking of LoTR, Black Death, and Troy, whereas a fresh face of the medieval/mythical/fantasy world would've allowed me to become better submersed in his character & the series itself. Ditto for Lena Headey. And ditto for Jason Momoa since I watched Conan the Barbarian first. It might've become one of the best casts on TV but it certainly wasn't in season 1 as far as I'm concerned.

Here's Sean Bean in three LoTR's, GoT, Black Death, and Troy. Tell me which role is which.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

It's my choice to hate typecasting. It's how I feel based on my own individual movie/show watching experience, and you calling my personal viewing opinion an epic fail is f***ing ridiculous on your part. There's no right or wrong about it and there's no goddam reason I have to relish the show just because you and others do. I didn't get sucked into it from the get-go, and I listed my reasons why. If you don't like 'em then shove em up your arse.

30. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    so my personal opinion about why I didn't like a show you jerk off to has become the most uninformed, ridiculous, unintelligent post I've seen on this forum in a long, long time? LOL at that. Sad that you put a tv show on such a high pedestal of your life. I feel sorry for you really.

31. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    My specific gripes aren't wrong. I've watched half the first season and have been left ambivalent about it for the very reasons I've specified. Calling my gripes wrong is fu**in arrogant of you. I don't enjoy typecast actors, period. Seeing Sean Benn in his 6th historical type role was a big yawn for me. Seeing Jason Mamoa play a historical warrior type figure after watching Conan the Barbarian was a yawn for me. Seeing Lena Headey in this role after watching her in 300, Merlin, Anazapta, and Brothers Grimm was a yawn for me. I PERSONALLY did not feel it was a very original casting job, and it kept me from getting into the series, especially after watching immediately after Vikings which I thoroughly enjoyed. That's my goddam choice. Quit being a douche nozzle and accept it.

32. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    300, Merlin, Anazapta & Brothers Grimm are nothing like GoT. No movie Sean Bean has done is like GoT. Just because you saw Conan (before GoT even though it was made after) it is not like GoT. You are comparing apples and fire trucks....sure they're both red and can roll....but that's about it.

Again, you're allowed to not like it, but your reasons are wrong because you think these movies/shows are similar to GoT, when they are not.

Hell, you're not even consistent, you love House of Cards which is about a fast talking and ruthless guy who gets things done played "against type" by.....Kevin Spacey, whose played the fast talking and ruthless guy who gets things done in virtually every movie he's ever been in.

33. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    my reasons aren't wrong, and I'm not comparing anything to GoT, jackass. I compared their roles, not the movies. Sean Bean was about as close to being typecast in GoT as you can get, and it's not like he's Arnold of the 80's where you absolutely have to typecast him due to financial reasons & public desire. Plus you said it yourself, "The casting director that hired him for GoT ended up being the casting director for Conan.". Yeah that's not fu**in' typecasting at all <sigh>. Do you need a picture of his Conan role as a reminder?
    Conan
    [​IMG]

GoT
    [​IMG]

I already posted 6 pictures of Sean Bean from 6 different movies which most certainly is comparing oranges to oranges, but you're fully entitled to argue against it even though you're only footing is to come back with something like, "but he's not the same type of orange b/c he's a clementine in this role and a tangerine in the other".
    Not remotely the same thing. Did Spacey also dress in a similarly distinguishable, atypical manner in most of his roles? Perhaps wear a toga constantly? Secondly, House of Cards isn't a mythical show where I'm trying to become submersed in its mythical world. What's next, are you gonna say I'm a hypocrite for not lumping in Tom Hanks with the typecast crew due to speaking English in every movie?

34. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    ooooooohhhhhhhhh. I see, you're panties are bunched because actors look like themsleves. Makes perfect sense. Sean Bean looks exactly like Sean Bean....typecast!!!!

You are comparing movies/shows. If you weren't then you're *****ing because they wear similar clothes....wait, is that the problem, the actors are wearing similar clothes?

I mean, Sean Bean can't carry a sword otherwise he's playing the same exact role in your eyes, but Kevin Spacey can play the exact same character in 15 different movies and you love it.

35. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Fin, here's some apples for ya:
    ......and a statement by Jason Momoa in an article called "Jason Momoa Doesn't Mind Being Typecast"
    So yeah, lick my ***! I typed in the asterisks BTW, so it can mean anything really.

36. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Re: List your favorite shows &amp; mini series

Sean Bean IS Ned Stark. He was simply perfect for the role.

If someone doesn't like the show they don't like it. That's OK. However this is not a boilerplate fantasy show.

As a book reader I have zero complaints with the casting

And since it's late on a holiday weekend I'll say it: any show that can make a "little person" an absolute smash of a character and win a golden globe is worth taking pause about before knocking it

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

37. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    What does this even mean? Are you implying it wasn't uncommon for Yorkshire citizens to catch Sean Bean riding the streets on a horse with a sword hanging from his side?

If the visualness of it were insignificant then we'd all be reading books, now wouldn't we smartypants. Seeing fresh faces in these roles allows ME PERSONALLY to get better submersed in a movie's fictitious world b/c there are no other similar associations involved with the character. If you wanna insult my personal preference for not wanting to visually see the same actor being typecast despite not being a must-have guy, then feel free to be that douche.

Yup, Kevin Spacey gets roles b/c of his rare ability to look the part of a modern day American, and Sean Bean gets his medieval/mystical roles out of sheer happenstance, right? :001_rolleyes:

It's ridiculous you're trying to compare an actor dressing and looking like a common man of 21st century USA to a horse-riding, sword-carrying, wig & beard wearing, accent-speaking character from medieval times. You realize we live in America, right, and that probably ninety-plus percent of this country's movies are American, spoken in American English, and costumed out like modern day Americans? Yeah I'm sure Netflix took one look at Spacey and said, "we want you for House of Cards, not b/c of your acting ability or 50 awards, but b/c you can pull off looking & sounding just like a modern day American". Gimme a break dude.

38. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I've already stated my case. Considering it's not everyday we view prominent medieval type characters, I personally had seen enough of Sean Bean as a long haired, sword carrying, medieval type character to not want to see him play a similar character in Game of Thrones. I thought his wife was bland, and I wasn't fond of seeing Jason Momoa play another ancient warrior role immediately after watching Conan. For me personally, I care as much about the actors themselves as I do the actual show, so if I'm not feeling it with the lead actor(s) then it doesn't matter how well written or potentially entertaining the show might be.

What's sad about this is I've not once belittled anyone for loving Game of Thrones despite myself being ambivalent about it. I've never said I think it's a terrible show; if I did I would've turned it off halfway through the first or second episode. If I power through season 1 I'm sure the rest will grow more interesting for me, but with a lot of great shows out there I'm not in a hurry to finish season 1.

39. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Right, like I said the entirety of your *****ing comes down to not liking it when a show with swords hires actors who have used swords in other shows because that takes you out of the show. But a show can have an actor play THE EXACT same character type in virtually everything he's been in, because he doesn't have a sword.

Admit it, you wanted to go a little hipster on GoT because its so popular, and this is the only thing you thought you could get a toehold on.

40. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    Trailer park boys is pretty funny also.