1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How I met your mother

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Jt0323, May 14, 2013.

1. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    We finally see the mom for the first time! And its
    Cristin Milioti

2. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I feel like this was 3 seasons too late. I stopped watching after season 5 I think, the show just got boring. Is it any better?

3. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    This season was bad, but I liked them.

4. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I thought the first couple of seasons were pretty good, then I started to realize I hate Ted and once Barney fell in love with Robin and stopped being Barney I lost interest. The concept of the show was definitely interesting I just think they dragged things out too much.

5. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Ted is my least favorite character too!

6. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    We've only been watching the older episodes, so it's still a pretty good show, haven't seen any from the newest season.
    overall, good show, but not as good as Big Bang Theory IMO.

dolphindebby likes this.
  7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I love HIMYM. I don't see how its changed at all. Like most shows, I watched it on Netflix from the beginning all the way through last season. I honestly don't see a decline in quality. Most shows take a season or two to hit their stride, but this one is pretty damn close to its stride in the first season.

Also, the universe continuity in this show is freaking comic book like. It is third only to Arrested Development and Futurama in that regard. There are so many call backs and in jokes, its amazing they can keep it all straight.

8. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    agree with the continuity. The ducky tie and so much more. Only thing I hate is the constant Ted/Robin tie up

Frumundah Finnatic and Fin D like this.
  9. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I think that's the main problem/criticism with the show as a whole. I personally simply got bored of it and stopped finding it funny thus stopped watching. Having your main character be the least likeble member of the cast was a big problem. I just never cared about his characer enough to have that emotional investment in his journey of finding his wife. If it wasn't for the supporting characters I would have stopped watching sooner.

And yes I do agree that them going back to things originally mentioned in earlier seasons was great.

10. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Great show but it went on too long and they kept trolling the audience with ted and Robin

I still love it though. I don't see why ted is unlikeable.

The show has the best pilot episode of any sitcom I have ever seen.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

11. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Ted is Ross.

#1 fan and Frumundah Finnatic like this.
  12. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    yeah I hated Ross the first couple of seasons, but in the later seasons he was one of the best Characters. Uonagi, I'm an eight? Ross was awesome. Ted, never liked him

13. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Ross sucked from beginning to end.

14. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I think more people can relate to Ross or Ted though which is good to have in a character.

15. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    [video=youtube;fvVT3N5dZq4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvVT3N5dZq4[/video]
    [video=youtube;_5vzZ0Byuqs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5vzZ0Byuqs[/video]
    [video=youtube;md-zDIxNht4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md-zDIxNht4[/video]

Also this is a totally different topic but Friends is so much better then HIMYM.

Anonymous likes this.
  16. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    To be fair, that's not an insult at all. I think Friends is the best sitcom of the 90's while HIMYM is the best sitcom of the 2000's.

17. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    agreed. both are very great shows, just Friends is just in a league of its own

18. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Seinfeld.

19. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I knew some Seinfeld fan would pop his head in...

Friends > Seinfeld as far as I'm concerned.

20. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Friends better than HIMYM? On no planet is that true. Friends was average for the most part*with the occasional moment of exceptional comedy and every character is an archetype with little to no depth. Plus, <rant incoming> the thing I HATE the most about Friends is the same thing I HATE about Seinfeld...there's no character with redeeming qualities as they are all out to screw each other over every chance they get. Every episode of Friends is about one or a few of them doing something wrong to one or all the others and spending the rest of the episode lying to the other friends about it, until they get caught and calamity ensues. Its also why I can't watch Its Always Sunny anymore. They do some funny stuff, but they are horrible, horrible people without a single redeeming quality about them.

In HIMYM, they are always friends first and always looking out for each other. To me, that makes the characters way more likeable which makes the viewer way more vested in what happens to them.

21. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Curb is a much better sitcom all around than HIMYM, as is The Office overall, obviously the show has dipped in quality but the earlier seasons are still better than anything HIMYM put out. And I also think Parks and Rec is a better comedy too.

That was the point of Seinfeld though and was the whole plot of the last episode of the series. The characters were never suppose to be likeable, yet people enjoyed watching them each week.

Even if HIMYM's characters are more likeable than Friends/Seinfeld (although I will strongly argue that Ted is not likeable and that's a huge complaint of the show and one of the main reasons why I stopped watching, the other was I just didn't find it funny) it doesn't mean it's a better or funnier show. In terms of just overall popularity, not to say that's the be all end all, but HIMYM doesn't come close to either Seinfeld or Friends.

Obviously this is all my opinion and we're going to disagree on it because I'm not a HIMYM fan.

22. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Sure Ted isn't the most likeable character, but he has redeeming qualities and everyone else on the show is ridiculously likeable. But if you tell me one of your major complaints is that Ted is unlikeable but then tout Curb with Larry David....then I'm truly not sure what planet this is anymore.

Humor is certainly subjective, but I'd take the ha-has from HIMYM over Seinfield or the god awful Curb any day.

23. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
  24. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Because in Curb, like Seinfeld, Larry David isn't suppose to be likeable nor is to be looked at as a sympathic figure. It's because he's not likeable and the situations he gets himself into (even when they're not his fault) that make the show funny. The viewer is laughing at his misfortunes, otherwise the show would be a drama and down right depressing.

The issue I have with HIMYM is that Ted is suppose to be likeable. You're suppose to have that connection and want him to find his future wife, you're suppose to feel bad for him when he gets dumped or happy for him when he gets happy. You're suppose to root for him. But, at least for me, I don't care about his character and in fact the whole plot/point of the show does nothing for me, or the viewers, that dislike him. If it wasn't for a strong cast around him I would have stopped watching after the 1st season. He comes off as that friend you had in junior high/high school that keeps getting dumped and consistently keeps talking about it, then complains that everyone has a girlfriend but him and is a know it all on top of it. He might have redeeming qualities, I don't think he's a "bad" person, just not someone I'd ever want to hang out with because I just wouldn't be able to deal with him.

I think the problem you're having is thinking that in comedies we need to like the character and/or relate with a character in order to find him/her funny but that's not the always case. Likeable doesn't equal funny and/or good. Dwight, from The Office for example, if he were a person in real life no one would want to be friends with him, and we don't really relate to either yet have no problem laughing AT him and he's one of the best parts of the show. Ditto for someone like Stifler from the American Pie movies or Will Ferrell in Anchorman, there character were a jerks.

I completely agree with the bolded part though. Who's to say what's funny or not, it's all opinion really.

25. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    No, I think in comedies there has to someone with redeeming qualities. Curb and Seinfeld have none. Friends is a show about horrible friends and its not really supposed to be.

i loved House or even Becker, because even though they were major d-bags there were redeeming qualities underneath it all and there were good characters on the show. Not so so much with Curb, Seinfeld, Sunny.

26. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    See I don't think friends are about horrible friends. They are all very close and good friends. I like Becker too. I like comedies that are different. I like the Whittness of Seinfeld, the cleverness of arrested development, the characters in friends, the funny wacky moments of the office, the story telling of HIMYM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Well that's why you don't like either Seinfeld or Curb. Makes sense.

28. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I agree with you. I don't think the characters of Friends were horrible to each other either. Sure they got into fights, went after the same girls/guys, tried to keep things from one another but isn't that what happens in real life? At the end of the day all 6 of them cared about each other. Nothing they ever did to one another was done with any real intentions of harm.

Jt0323 likes this.
  29. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Virtually every episode is one or a few screwing over another or few and lying about it. I'd also say at least 98% of the episodes one is lying to another at some point.

30. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Himym is the same way. Lilly screwing up with Ted relationships, Barney sleeping with Ted ex, Barney steal girls from Ted. His play book against robin, Ted, Lilly and Marshall trying to break robin and Barney up. Barney screwing Ted out of the architect job.

31. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Agreed they all cared for each other and were good friends. They fight and play jokes but as you said, no real harm towards each other. I mean they hung out every day with busy lives. Hard thing to keep I touch with a solid group of friends for 10 years.

32. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    I think comparisons of HIMYM, Curb and even the Office are unfair. HIMYM is the only pure sitcom in the bunch. You can have preferences, but these shows are not the same. If I had to pick though, I would take Curb, Seinfeld and The Office over it.

The only fair critique imo of HIMYM is that it has grown stale and the writers have strung us along a bit. But when the show is good it is both hilarious and emotionally moving. It is a great show for a couple to enjoy. I might be in the minority about Ted. I really like him. I'm always rooting for him. Whatever negatives there are about Ted are always balanced by the anti-Ted in Barney.

I really don't like Friends. I feel like I'm writing the show in my head as I'm watching it.

33. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I do wonder if Joey and rachael would have worked out ha Joey not have a spin off

34. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    No that was such an awful idea. Joey was funny because he was a womanizer, much like Barney in HIMYM. The plan was always to end the show with Ross and Rachel together, the problem was it was all in the chase to get them together, once they were together the writers had nothing good for them to do again much like HIMYM with Barney and Robin.

35. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Its the not same way at all. The reasons that most of those things happen is because they are trying to help each other. Whereas in Friends is never for the other person's benefit it always for selfish reasons. And it doesn't happen every episode like Friends.

36. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Not a fan of dark comedy?

He can come across as incredibly douchey.

37. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    Most architects are.

38. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Can you name a few of examples in Friends as to how they lied for their own benefit/selfish reasons that wasn't over something silly or dumb? I'm not talking about something where Chandler takes the seat cushion so Joey can't sit in the seat so Joey puts on all of Chandler's clothes to "teach him a lesson". I'm talking about something big that isn't intended for the purpose of comedy, so like for example fighting over a girl/boy and hilarity ensues wouldn't count.

I'm sure it did happen a few times in the 9 or 10 seasons the show ran for, I'm not questioning that as it happens in every TV show, even Full House, but I think you're a little off on the point that it was always for the characters own benefit. I don't think there was ever a time when a character on Friends lied or did something to the other with the sole purpose of hurting or harming another character.

Jt0323 likes this.
  39. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    First of all I didn't say they lied or did something with the sole purpose of hurting another. I said they did those things for their own gain.

Secondly, I'm not going through their entire history, but here's somethings from the first 5 episodes alone:

Episode 1.03: Chandler starts smoking again; when the group complains, he diverts their attention to their own faults
    Episode 1.04: Monica and Rachel bicker than physically fight during a slumber party.
    Episode 1.05: Joey wants his ex-girlfriend (Angela) to break up with her boyfriend (Bob), so he arranges for Monica and him to double date with them... but he lies to Monica that Angela and Bob are siblings.

40. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Especially if they attended Iowa State.