1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So Where can the Mike Wallace thing be Discussed?

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Questions' started by MonstBlitz, Apr 29, 2013.

1. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Mods, is it really appropriate to move something that is making headlines about a Miami Dolphins star player to out of bounds? Dozens of pages of discussion and this can't be discussed anywhere? How about move it to whatever forum you feel it's appropriate in and let the discussion continue. To not allow the discussion to happen on a Miami Dolphins forum is a disservice to both sides of the debate, IMHO.

Vinny Fins and His'nBeatYour'n like this.
  2. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    This is absurd and a trend every time any topic vaguely connected to homosexuality comes up. We can have a JESUS LOVES YOU subforum, but any discussion of LGBT rights is stunted.

What the actual ****, guys?

3. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    its inflammatory. I don't think it's anything personal.

4. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    I find half the threads in the religion of POFO subforums inflammatory.

5. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    right. but even we in pofo get shutdown as there are just subjects that cause a lot of bull****. Again, I don't think it's personal. Just a way to keep us from killing one another :)

Boik14, azfinfanmang and CrunchTime like this.
  6. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    We have tried to leave those type of threads on the mains but it always ends up in out of bounds or closed because members are not mature enough to talk about the topic without resorting to personal insults or espousing personal agendas.

We just dont have the resources or the inclination to deal with it.Its a sports forum .This is more of a political topic.If you want to talk about it I suggest you do so in a political forum.

Caveat ...Po Fo Mods may not want to deal with it either and I dont blame them.I repeat.This is a Sports forum and our staff are unpaid volunteers.They dont need the aggravation.

Boik14, 305, WhiteIbanez and 2 others like this.
  7. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Just curious about the Mike Wallace threads.

Why were they moved to Out of Bounds? It is a relevant topic about our starting WR that is now in the news, yet it was moved to out of bounds and closed. Even more relevant to the point the organization had to release a full statement on the matter. Yet some mod keeps moving these threads making it seem like the subject wasnt talked about and yet causing other threads to pop up.

Yet another clear cut case of over moderation. There nothing wrong with the posts and it is discussions that need to be had. Ease up, mod.

8. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    Both sides of a Mike Wallace tweet debate. Seems a little absurd.

CrunchTime likes this.
  9. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Kind of inconsistent moderation today. First there were several moderators defending Wallace. Which is their right. They were engaging in a civilized debate. Then you decide it's not allowed to be discussed? Questionable decisions all the way round. First a valid comment on the issue was made by a member here, and it's put in the rant forum. Now into Out of Bounds. So are all the media outlets that have this story ranting as well? It's a sensitive issue regarding one of the Miami Dolphins star players and you decide not to let your members discuss it? All the intense debates around here and this is somehow off limits? It's your board, your rules. But it's very disappointing to at least this poster how this was handled today and, IMHO, shows a lack of tolerance towards certain viewpoints.

10. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

The guy made an ignorant statement and apologized. What more needs to be said?

11. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I actually agree with you 100% on that front. Mike Wallace does not need to be crucified over it. He's being punished enough by the coaches and twitter folks as it is. If he's not as dumb as that statement made him sound, he'll come away from it with a valuable lesson. The debate was more about how appropriate it was for him to have said it in the first place. Some felt there was nothing wrong with the statement. Others felt it was an incredibly stupid thing to do and lacked sensitivity. All in all, I'm fine not discussing it. I'm not missing the debate. But I was a little embarrassed for the site with how they handled what was a sensitive topic and issue for at least one member. Labeling it a rant was, IMHO, incredibly inappropriate and displayed a lack of sensitivity.

12. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    This has nothing to do with tolerating viewpoints. I moved the thread, and I was on the side that thought what Wallace said was wrong in what he said. It has to do with the staff not willing to spend their entire day sifting through such an intense debate, when that debate isn't really relevant to the Miami Dolphins. The conversation wasn't about how it affected the Dolphins. It had evolved into a discussion regarding topics that are pretty sensitive and include political, religious, and philosophical viewpoints. I understand the desire to discuss such topics, but this forum is not the place. Such debates can bring out the worst in people. There were even some slurs that the staff had to remove. They require a lot more moderation and consideration from the staff than normal threads. If we let that thread go unmoderated for 15 minutes, it would not have been pretty. Unfortunately such intense moderation isn't always feasible. We have always stated that the PoFo is a luxury that could be taken away if it becomes too cumbersome a task to moderate. We apologize that we cannot provide a platform for certain topics to be discussed, but we believe it provides a better overall experience for Dolphin fans.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  13. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I moved all 3 from the main forum to OOB because the first one strayed from people having opinions to it being personal. Secondly, gay rights and gays in sports (or any facet of society) where they are not currently accepted is a political topic that has no business on the main page of a Miami Dolphins forum even if a Dolphins player is the one who made a stupid post on Twitter for which he then apologized for it. Gay Rights is a political movement and Gays in sports is a part of american society not really a part of a Miami Dolphins forum. If anyone wants to start a thread in POFO youre welcome to but those were moved because its not for the main forum and the other ones were moved before they followed the same path.

Sorry if that offends anyone. It wasnt meant to.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  14. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Youre understandably passionate and closer to the situation then many of us so I get your feelings will be more intense. Unfortunately that doesnt make for good discussion such as the one idiot who called you a term in that thread which is offensive to gays. Thats part of the reason why threads like that get moved. Its a sports message board and there are too many willing to be "that guy". That poster was reprimanded but as I said above it still has no business in the main forum. Why is homosexuality allowed to be a topic in the main forum which is a forum about the Miami Dolphins? Should we allow Tim Tebow's thoughts on Christianity just because hes a football player?

15. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Sooooo, Mods......how happy were you guys that I was moving that day and didn't have internet? I mean you guys seriously dodged a headache bullet that day.

16. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    You know you gonna have to re-register.

17. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Nope, stole someone else's identity, so no more sex offender list, or going door to door.
    My new name is Father Chester Sandusky. I'm finally free of all that perv talk.

bigbry likes this.
  18. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Nice try but I've seen your wedding pictures in another thread. If that's not sex offense, I don't know what is.

There.Is.No.Way.To.Hide.Her.

....and dont say the Hostess company has agreed to send all the orders by over-nite Fed-Ex. That kind of volume will be noticed.

19. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Regular brown wrapping. If people question it, I just tell them I work from home assembling IKEA products.

The bi-weekly septic pumping I get done is harder to conceal.

bigbry likes this.
  20. Starry31

Starry31 Phins and Heels.

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    I can see this to a point, though with it being a Dolphins player I think general is appropriate. You see it differently, which is fine, and I can't even imagine trying to moderate a thread like that with the resources you guys have; it's unfortunate you even need to moderate but that's a different issue altogether.

Funny thing happened today. I'm getting a hair cut and I always talk football with my barber (Cowboys fan, poor guy), he then says something about Wallace. He was surprised I hadn't heard of it and told me what he had tweeted and said Dolphins apologized and all that. I'm thinking man, how did I miss that, and now I see why. :lol: So yeah, I might rely on this site a little too much for all my Dolphins news.

edit: I read the first page for one of the threads, think I'll stop there...

21. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Boik, I know I'm way late with my response to this, but since I started the thread I feel like I owe you one. Your reasoning for moving the thread makes sense. The reasoning for the mods position makes sense. I guess the only thing I was wondering was if you and others felt is was appropriate for the POFO, why not just move it there rather than shut it down?

But it's in the past. And luckily Wallace did the right thing and apologized and the story died a quick and merciful death!

Boik14 likes this.
  22. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Two reasons it wasn't moved to pofo...
    The first thread was already filled with bs. And the other two threads started off no better.

MonstBlitz likes this.