1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update on a missing member....

Discussion in 'Announcements and Such' started by Boik14, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Some of you are very familiar with WharfRat. He hasn't been around in quite a while and so today on Facebook his wife was kind enough to inform me that he has severe liver disease, and many complications from the treatments over the last several years, including two fractured vertebrae now. He's on transplant list, but we are opting for some alternative treatment, which he has responded well too, but is currently hospitalized again.

For me personally he is the only member of this site I have met and he and his wife were kind enough to treat me to a few beers and wings a couple of years ago in NYC. They are great people.

You may want to post your well wishes here. They deserve it.

Matt

Update in case anyone is interested: https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/ahfYd/ab/f2sZhe?psid=2a6470f04b984e15a3597a2d5ba61687

2. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Here's to a speedy recovery in time for one of the best teams we have fielded in 20 years.

Get well soon Wharf.

Finz72, HelenaBucket and Boik14 like this.
  3. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Hope he gets better. Hang in there WharfRat.

HelenaBucket and Boik14 like this.
  4. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Hey Wharf and Mrs. Rat... please accept my heartfelt prayers for Wharfrat (what's his name? It sounds weird sayinf Wharfrat).

May he be home with you soon and enjoying a fine Dolphins playoff victory in '13.

5. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Get well soon Wharf!

6. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    His name is Jon.

Finz72 and Hiruma78 like this.
  7. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    Hope you get well brother Jon.

8. HelenaBucket

HelenaBucket Property of: WharfRat

Thanks Matt, and everyone else, for the kind thoughts and words. Jon (Wharfie, as he's known to his nearest and dearest here) and I (Jan, aka HelenaBucket) have enjoyed many conversations, jokes, and debates here on the forums. Some of our best friends we've never met came from the original finhaven, then thephins. This place is like "home away from home" for Jon especially. Ironically, I was working for NY Organ DonorNet as a liver/kidney transplant nurse when Jon and I met. At the time, the urban legend of going on a blind date, being drugged and waking up to find yourself in a tub of ice with a note to call 911 because your kidney had been harvested was going around, so I consider myself fortunate to have met him after I disclosed my occupation to him. He is working with a great team of doctors for both conventional and holistic/alternative medicine. We're moving to New Mexico by years end to be closer to the alternative medicine, which he has responded well to, as Matt said. We'll get through this. I know he misses being a part of this group. I'm certain it would make him happy to receive anything in the mail besides a hospital bill from anyone who'd like to send cards, dirty jokes, postcards from the edge, whatever. Send to: Jon Scheel, 512 Hastings Rd., Cherry Hill, NJ 08034

Thanks folks!

9. siciliansith

siciliansith Resident Deviant

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    Remember Wharf from from places we do not name and his great posts when we started here! Always a well informed and passionate Phin Fan.

Wish and pray for a quick turn around. Love ya brother get well soon.

10. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    All the best to him and hope for a full return to health.

11. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Thanks Matt & Jan.

Prayers for Jon & you both, Jan ...

12. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Dang, this gives me a heavy heart.

Love the times.and posts we shared. One of the best threads ever was when I asked.for a name change and he did it. I was Frumundah cheese....then went to Gruel and Cheese (Pretty sure that is where "Frumundah Finatic.got his name :shifty: ) in a span of a couple days.

Where in New Mexico are you going to be Jan? I still have quite a few friends there and will be heading that direction for a summer vacation.

I will see what I can do about a card. I'm really bad at sending cards and letters.

Tell Jon that Kenny says hi please.

13. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    miss you warf. Get well soon. We need you.

HelenaBucket likes this.
  14. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I am wishing for the best Jon! You welcomed me in with open arms when I first Joined the staff in FinHeaven so many years ago! Get better soon Jon!

HelenaBucket likes this.
  15. The Rev

The Rev Totus Tuus Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box Club Member

Wow, this had floored me. I had noticed that he had was posting pics on FB from there but had no idea. I will add him to my prayer requests. Jan, please let Jon know that even though a lot of us never get to meet each other on these message boards, it does not mean they do not leave an impression. Jon is great people.

Whenever we had a thread in which we had to congratulate someone for an accomplishment, Jon would post a conga line with rats that's would read "Conga-rats."

GB
    Raul

16. HelenaBucket

We will initially be heading to Las Cruces, where the doc who has had amazing results with this treatment has his practice. As a nurse, I felt good about the published results, then our good brother Mal endorsed it, and I was committed to getting Jon out there. It really has made a difference, and for the first time in a long time, Jon was feeling pretty good - happy, smiling, and taking pictures. Thanks again to all! And still, we have all that he's going through now. Modern medicine...the cure may kill you, but that's okay, there's a drug for that too. Sheesh.

17. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Hey Wharf....aint got a doubt in my mind that you'll pull out of this..and join in as the MFMiami Dolphins take over the AFC East!

Mrs Bucket...heres to you and he sure is lucky to have someone so supportive and a Phins fan to boot by his side.

Our prayers are with you and your family!

HelenaBucket likes this.
  18. HelenaBucket

And as always, our home is your home, as this home has always been home for so many. If you're in the Philly area until we move, or Las Cruces area once we move, and can stand the lunacy of our home, do give us a heads up and drop on by. Right now, Jon's at Hahnemann University Hospital in Philly, Rm 2060.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  19. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    Many prayers and positive thoughts going out to Jon and family.

HelenaBucket likes this.
  20. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Good luck Jon.....wondered where you'd gone. Hope you're back on your feet in a hurry. Sounds like you're in the best possible hands with Jan and fingers crossed you'll be back to full fitness soon.

Boomer.

21. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Best wishes to you Wharfrat. One of the first posters i can remember all the way back to almost 15 years ago. Your unique and colorful perspectives are needed back here ASAP. Get well brother.

siciliansith, HelenaBucket and Boik14 like this.
  22. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

Having been on the two boards that Jon Helped run, I always enjoyed his insight and calming effect on the boards themselves. It saddens me to see friends I've talked with over the years that are having health problems. Hope you get better soon Jon! You will be in my thoughts and prayers my friend!!!

azfinfanmang, HelenaBucket and Boik14 like this.
  23. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    This is the type of news you never want to hear, but he seems to be in good hands. Much respect to Jan for selling out for his health. He is a lucky man for that. I hope it all ends well. His 'handle', Warfrat, always made me smile.

24. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Hope you get better and can come back around Wharf, but most importantly, I hope you just get better.

25. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Jon, it's a small world, even tho I'm living in NC via SFL now, I grew up in Westmont... I've missed your input on here too and look forward to hearing/reading from you soon....my best wishes for a speedy recovery to you and Jan... Hopefully this will be the year we see you back in the forum and the Phins in the playoffs again...I am a bit picky tho, I'd rather see you healthy and back in the forum sooner...

Larry

26. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Hey Wharf remember our Bills forum invasions with the Capt. back in the old days?

That should put a smile on your face.

You can do this.

27. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    You will indeed be very close to Lucky then. Right across the State lines.

I hope this change helps in many ways. Las Cruces is an interesting Town. Small College town. Be sure to embark on the Journey of the State Fruit known as Green Chili while there. The little town of Hatch is just a stone's throw from Las Cruces and is world famous for the Green Chili they grow...although, truth is the best Green Chili actually comes from the Espanola Valley to the North....
    While there, if possible, I STRONGLY suggest seeing the Northern part of the State. Albuquerque offers some unique area to see, including a great Tramway that travels from the Northern outskirt of town up a pretty impressive Mountain (Sandia Peak) and is the longest Tramway in the world.
    Santa Fe is an incredible "Artsie Fartsie" town full of quaint old shops, Centuries old tradition LOTS of great authentic New Mexican food, lots of celebrities and the second highest concentration of "Gay" people per capita in the US.... not that there is anything wrong with that...cause there isn't.

If you continue North along the Rio Grande, you can see the little town of Los Alamos, which is where I was born and raised. Lots of obvious history there, including a museum that talks about the development of the A-Bomb, some incredible skiing in the Winter and some very neat Indian Ruins (Bandelier and Tsankui (Pronounced: Sank ewie)

If you continue once again up the Rio Grande, you will eventually find Taos. Another very very unique town that was built around an old Indian Pueblo. IF you really want to see Art and holisitic guru's living a very different life, here and Santa Fe are probably second to none.

Anyways, I won't go any further. But please do stay in touch and let me know if I can do anything prior or while you are in New Mexico. I can even look into the better parts of Las Cruces to be in. My brother lived there for almost 15 years so he knows the lay of that town very well.

Kenny

28. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    I am sorry to hear about Jons health problems.He has been an Admin since before I even joined FH .Not only is he good and fair doing that job but he does it with a good sense of humor.

You can tell him we are still holding the Admin Burka loungechair for him and that he can claim it whenever he feels up to it.:yes:

Get well soon Jon .:up:

29. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Get well soon Jon. The site just isn't the same without you.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk 2

30. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

See him on FB every now and then. Him and the wife are always positive people. All my best the the wharfster.

HelenaBucket likes this.
  31. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Years ago we talked about watching a game and having a beer, as I worked in cherry hill and live a few towns over. So sorry for all you are going through, but keep healing and working towards optimum health.

I wish you the best!

32. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    He sounds like a good guy with lots of friends, get well soon.

33. HelenaBucket

All good stuff Kenny...much thanks. We're always open to the input of someone who has better knowledge of any subject than we do! We did get up to Hatch while we were there, as well as Fort Selden, White Sands National Monument, and some very high country that I can't remember the name of past Hatch. We've found an apartment complex on North Roadrunner Drive in what appears to be a nice area where we'll put down a deposit as we get closer to the date. I'd love to move further north, but think the weather in the southern aspects will suit Jon's needs better. We really enjoyed it immensely out there, and hated to head back east! Our big plan, if we can get Jon well enough, is to RV up to Ohio and Illinois, stop at a few folks for visiting, and caravan along Rte. 66 to our destination, doing a little picking and antique hunting along the way. New friends in Oklahoma will let us rest there as well. We'll see what the week bring - we'll be consulting with rheumatology and endocrinology for more treatment options this week. I also asked for a nutritionist.

34. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    So wait, you mean to tell me that beer and wings aren't nutritious?!?!? Who knew? :)

35. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    She will eventually figure out that Authentic Green Chili fixes ANYTHING!!!

HelenaBucket likes this.
  36. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    That's just not true. It will undoubtedly make my plumbing worse!

Moves and azfinfanmang like this.
  37. HelenaBucket

Oh please, you don't need to convince us of that...the food was soooo amazing out there. Jon and I are huge foodies, and we loved the native cuisine.

38. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Have a lot of friends from New Mexico and they always talk about how nice it is. Good luck to you both!

HelenaBucket likes this.
  39. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    How can you go wrong?

Our Mantra:

"New Mexico, the Land of Enchantment. Go away on vacation, come back on probation" :up:

Boik14 and HelenaBucket like this.
  40. HolliFinFan

HolliFinFan Not a Face Painter Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    South Florida
    Sending positive thoughts to both Jon and Jan. Saddened to hear this news, yet optimistic for you all. Take care <3