1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ireland's Pre-Draft Press Conference

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ckparrothead, Apr 11, 2013.

1. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    http://www.miamidolphins.com/media/...nference/ec2899ad-e68f-4cec-90ee-97b8b53a1594
    http://www.miamidolphins.com/media/...13-Draft/644d6eb7-a547-45b5-9205-c79e7e72d4da

Some of MY notes:

* Moving up is definitely on his mind. Much more than usual. Moving up is more on his mind than moving down. He's trying to hide it, but you don't have to be a world class poker player to read his tells on this one. I believe the things I've heard from people about not wanting to come out of the draft with 11 players. Take that how you want.

* Considers wide receivers unit to be the strength or one of the strengths of the team now. But he's hiding something about the position. Something amuses him about it. The problem is, it could be amusement that everyone still thinks they are going after a receiver even though they feel like they're done. Or it could be amusement over the irony of his saying the position is already a strength and yet he's still targeting one. It's impossible to say which. But there's literary irony behind his eyes.

* Considers Vaughn Martin and Lance Louis to be depth. Seemed honest about it. Brent Grimes "helps on some of the front line things" (think he's referring to starters).

* Tried to deny that corner is a position they need to use a high pick for. Seemed like he was covering. Later on I think he used the words "the guy we get". They don't play a lot of press, but they do play a lot of man to man. They play some zone, the play some off-man which he notes is difficult and requires a different skill set. Was clearly saying they play man to man more than zone, but not necessarily press man.

* I don't think a trade up to as high as #3 overall is really on the table, judging from the way he sarcastically stated he's got the ammo he would need to get up to the 1st overall pick if he really wanted to. His tone implied that it would be ridiculous of him to do that. Going to #3 wouldn't be a far cry from going to #1, and so ultimately I think he considers a trade from #12 to #3 to be too much to swallow. It might be something they bat around but not something they ever execute.

* Functionally speaking, he will ignore a player for 3 rounds based on need. But after that, he's going to go up for him. (Note: I'm pretty sure he's talking about Lamar Miller here. Word came out shortly after that draft that they had a 1st round grade on him. They didn't feel urgent about getting him until the 4th round)

* Overall talks about how he and Philbin see eye-to-eye on player priorities, specifically citing character and makeup. He believes what he's saying. Notes some priorities schematically might be different but this does not seem important to him. "I'm probably a little bit more of a risk-taker than Joe" was an interesting quip, though. He's talking about something in particular, and Joe Philbin (and possibly others in the inner circle) will know specifically what he's referring to.

* Asked about drafting core positions high, something he's talked about before. Is tight end now a core position? Body language says it all. The answer is no. Hemming and hawing on the answer, admits it's not been a core position for them. Interesting note though, says it can become a core position when you don't have the horses on the outside and so you need to control the middle. Note to self: they just spent $100 million on outside horses.

* They're going to be drafting multiple OLs. He didn't say that. I did. Based on his answers. When your top five includes Nate Garner whom you know to be nothing more than a core backup, you have some work to do.

* He likes Manti Te'o. He admits some guys he brings down to Davie for one reason or another, but that he really doesn't have much interest in at all. Manti is not one of those guys.

* On whether he knows who he is going to pick in the first round, don't get caught up in wording. The answer is yes, and no. If you want to get caught up in wording, this is not an interesting quote to me but it may be to others: "I have a pretty good idea of about three or four guys that I'm looking at, absolutely."

* Why do they continually talk about the timing of Jonathan Martin's punches? Jesus. Joe Philbin has mentioned it at least twice in connection with Jonathan Martin, once right when he was drafted as one of Martin's strengths, and another time more recently. Now Jeff Ireland is mentioning it as something Martin needs to work on in his technique. Is this a little bit like Armando Salguero's example of how Dave DeGuglielmo swore after the Senior Bowl that John Jerry could digest the playbook quickly and easily, and then Jerry's development was slowed because according to DeGuglielmo Jerry wasn't getting the playbook? Are they acknowledging a negative by trying to affirm it as a positive?

* Despite his feelings about still needing a corner, he put a lot of thought into Brent Grimes. He had him targeted and the issue he was wrestling with was the health. And he's still wrestling with it.

* Oooh, that one hurt. That reporter's going on the sh-t list. The one that said there are a lot of 2nd and 3rd round picks he's taken over the years that are no longer on the team for various reasons, and asked if that affects his strategy in those rounds. Some things you're a little caught off guard by and you get madder about them the more you think about, hours later. This is one of those things.

* He's still stewing about that question. Someone (believe it might be Armando) is asking now since they've already addressed the OL position over and over, will they keep doing that. His response has a lot of anger in it. Won't get into it. But he's angry.

* Here's a quote for ya: "I'm not gonna pigeon my hole"

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I dig it when you go miss Cleo on these pressers.

DPlus47 likes this.
  3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Uhm...".."i'm probably more of a risk taker than Joe.."

:jump:

Does he realize most power is AC now or is he still thinking DC?

4. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Main takeaways:

1. Moving up is on the brain. May not be at 12 overall though. They won't be moving to #3 overall.
    2. He wanted to keep Jake Long. Something about it still stings.
    3. He's a need picker. Acknowledging they can go 3 rounds ignoring a player's value says it all. Not a big deal.
    4. His perception of what (from a system standpoint) they need at corner does not match the common perception.
    5. Positions that will be taken: OL (multiple), CB. Positions that may not be the priority we think: WR, TE.

5. ChrisKo

ChrisKo Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Desert
    Thanks for the breakdown!

6. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    This reaffirms a previous belief of mine that they're thinking about trading up from #42 overall back into the 1st round. If they get the right opportunity, I think it's happening.

Boomer, the 23rd, DPlus47 and 10 others like this.
  7. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    If we get Austin we are top 3 in WRs. If we dont then weve added Wallace. Gibson is added depth. Depth always says sink or swim to me.

8. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Interesting to watch.

- sounds like he will be moving up... as you say, maybe not up from 12, but up into the bottom of the 1st. That's where the best value is anyways. That could be where you see an Eifert, Carradine, maybe even and Ansah or Werner if they drop, and Eddie Lacy, or a Trufant or Xav Rhodes or Menelik Watson. Perhaps Cyrien. A lot of great players from 25-45 imo.

DPlus47 and azfinfanmang like this.
  9. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    They think of positions as "musts", "needs", or "wants".

It's clear offensive tackle is a "must". I think it's clear that pass rusher and corner are "needs". He didn't mention it today (because nobody asked) but I think tailback is at least a "need" and may even be a "must". I think all other positions including wide receiver and tight end are merely "wants". Some positions will carry "avoid" status, and I think the only ones there are center and quarterback.

Jeff Ireland's tendency has been to fill his "must" positions with urgency. The urgency in this case could be trading up from 42 to get a tackle. Perhaps Menelik Watson. I think his first two picks will be a "need" and a "must".

So let's say Xavier Rhodes at 12, a trade up to whatever pick is necessary to get Menelik Watson (which will require two of the four Day 2 picks), then Giovanni Bernard and Cornelius Washington round out the second day.

That's what I'm getting from this press conference.

ssmiami likes this.
  10. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    yea here's the link to Armando's word for word breakdown of the entire press conference, including Ireland's responses to that bit of criticism.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2013/04/everything-jeff-ireland-said-today.html

(On whether he is aware of the fact that a lot of players he has picked in the second and third rounds of past drafts are no longer on the team and whether that affect the way he drafts) – “Well I am aware of it. You guys keep me aware of it quite often. I don’t take any different than the way I’ve always gone into it. I’m going to put the board up the way I put it up. I have different aspects of the draft room itself to try and help improve that process. One is my head coach. Brian Gaine is a little more involved in this process. So, obviously you are trying to upgrade the room and the dynamics of the room. Certainly I haven’t changed too much in regard to picking players. I have been doing it a long time now."

(On whether he wants to continue to address offensive line high in the draft after committing so many high draft picks to the position in the past) – “If I get another (Mike) Pouncey and another Jake Long I would do it every draft. Those kinds of guys are pretty darn good. I wish I had a whole team full of Mike Pouncey’s and Jake Long’s to be honest with you. Those guys are really good players. They are productive; I know what I’m getting every single day with the guys. Particularly, I’m not going to pigeon hole myself just to take an offensive lineman. I think we have a couple other positions that we might go after obviously. I think there is going to be a good player for us. I’m excited about going into this draft."

DPlus47 likes this.
  11. Bpk

I can say I feel more like they'll draft a tackle now than I did before.

The problem is, drafting an LT creates a problem at RT by moving Martin to a position he was horrible at. Then you need a RT too.

So why not keep Martin at LT and just pick up a RT later.

I could even see this scenario playing out....

Trade down to 18 with Dallas (highest chance of any trade, imo, especially if Satr is there at 12).... then we select Chance Warmack or Jon Cooper. In round two we select Menelik Watson (or we trade inot late round one for him). We add more flexibility with Reid Fragel, who could step in at Tackle or Guard. That loads up the line, and leaves Martin to develop at LT, where he was least bad.

12. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    I was just going to post something along those lines, the talk of trading up may be more to do with this rather that trading up from #12. It's got to be on his mind that trading back into the 1st round is going to be a lot more do-able with the picks we have than it would normally be. Or even moving up from the 3rd if a player drops in the 2nd round.

13. Bpk

Also, it's very clear that Philbin is a huge influence in this process. Ireland mentions Philbin frequently, and their collaboration.

This was my hope. Philbin is helping Ireland see different things in player evals than in the past, possibly.

It's a big reason we actually can't expect Jeff Ireland to act the same way this draft as in prior drafts.

14. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't think there's any controversy to Jeff Ireland or the coaching staff. If the shot they get is for a guy they think should play left like Terron Armstead then they'll do that, but if the shot they get is at Menelik Watson, they'll do that. They're open.

And Jon Martin was even worse at left tackle than right. Worse pass protector, anyway.

15. Bpk

Also, Jeff seems more relaxed, happier and more friendly... except when Hulk wants to SMASH once he is angry. But overall, he is more relaxed than in years past.

16. Bpk

I'm not certain about that, but the debate is really about where he was worse, not better... which kind of says it all anyways.

17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I would support that strategy in this draft, and it kinda marries with what he said about this years draft, " there are certain levels of this draft that are very attractive to me", ...mid to late first is a strong level in this draft..some really cool combination of players that could improve our team tremendously, and get everyone excited....Trufant and Eifert would be one that I would get school girl silly for...how bout Austin and Watson..or Sheldon and Eifert...goodness, that's a whole new thread right there.

I found it quite interesting when he talked about value of the corner position, he basically took a dump on the position saying that he can find them anywhere in the draft, specifying 4th and 5th rounds, hmmm, well, that attitude and demeanor doesn't jive with dropping a first round pick on Vontae and a 2nd round pick on Sean Smith, jmo, but it sounded like he had an underlining tone that those were two guys he wasn't responsible for, and he'd like to do it his way now...maybe?

Idk, but I'm starting to get excited, would really like to walk out of this draft with 2 first round picks..something we haven't done in a long long time, and I think considering where the franchise is at, the subtle pressure to win with the youngest team in the league, we really don't need 11 newbs to make us the youngest by far, lets get 8 quality players and rock it.

18. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't necessarily think that's clear. Clear that Philbin's schematic preferences matter, especially with respect to offensive line. But also clear that Kevin Coyle's schematic preferences, especially with respect to defensive line, matter.

And I think there's something to be said for Armando's report about them considering Philbin to be an upgrade over Sparano in terms of draft evaluation. To Ireland though, Philbin is just like Brian Gaine...another set of eyes helping him to make the right call. "Upgrades to the room" so to speak.

19. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm likely to support the strategy. It's exactly what I did in #MockTwo.

I think you're set to be disappointed with respect to Tyler Eifert.

I don't share your read on the corner position.

20. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think he said he'd ignore a guy for two rounds not three rounds.

My impression was that he plans to move around, but is unlikely to move up from #12. He said that they haven't started figuring out which teams may be targets to move up or down with (or words to that effect). I believed him when he said that so I think that the rumors of us talking with Oakland about moving up to #3 for a T are baseless. He mentioned that there are areas in the draft that he feels are strong. Based on the question I got the impression he was talking about rounds vs. positions (as might be assumed). I think that's the area you can expect him to move up or down two. My guess is that it's the late first to early second.

Something about the way he said he couldn't say at this time that he would be addressing WR early (micro-expressions in the way he pursed his lips) made me think that he was holding something back there. My guess is that Austin is one of the three or four players he's considering at #12.

I think he believes that Garner is viable starter at T. My guess is that he plans to improve the OL at G in the draft and that he wants experience at T (.ie a vet there). That was based on how he switched the question from a T focus to an overall OL focus.

I don't believe Eifert is a target at #12 based on the dancing around TE not being a core position.

I think he really likes Grimes and is more excited about him than he wanted to say. I think he wants a CB that plays off-man. My guess is that that points more to a DJ Hayden and away from a Rhodes. BTW IMO that was a very strong skill in Grimes. I think Grimes excels at playing off and breaking quickly on the pass. I expect that whatever CB we draft will be one he believes can do that vs. play press.

I think he was saying that he's more of a risk taker specifically in terms of character/intelligence/maturity red flags than Philbin.

I think the reason T'eo was brought in was related to the whole Lennay think more than anything else. He wanted to see how T'eo deals with the adversity of that situation on a longer term basis.

21. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Agreed. Wasn't there a rumor last year that Miami tried to execute such a trade with the target being Nick Perry? IIRC, they couldn't make it work to jump in front of Green Bay, who ultimately drafted Perry.

22. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    As we said CK. It's a trade up for Lane Johnson or one of those guys if it's a reasonable trade-up or it's Xavier Rhodes+Menelik Watson at the back half of the first round. You nailed it pretty much in terms of the draft.

Rhodes, Watson, Bernard, Washington

ckparrothead likes this.
  23. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    This affirms the information I posted earlier - There is a plan in place to trade up both in the top 10 and back into the 1st round

edit: Well first I heard it was back up into the 1st, then I later heard about the whole "trade up to Cleveland, not to Oakland"

24. Bpk

Saying that he ONLY sees Philbin as that is sort of baseless, imo. He sees Philbin as that, but nothing suggests that Philbin is nothing more than that. He could be an upgrade to the eyes in the room, and other benefits.

Besides which, the other eyes in the room have everything to do with how much weight you give their opinion too. So when Joe sees something and shares it, how much weight does Ireland give it. I'd argue probably more weight than Sparano's insights, though that's speculation on my part based on a few perceptions of my own. I'd argue that Ireland seems to respect Philbin quite a bit and, thus, I think he would give Philbin's input very significant consideration in in his evaluations. See the hard knocks exchange about Gates.

25. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Who do you want if we go with that strategy?

Pissass..no Eifert, no Austin, me no likey..damn you Brandon Gibson and eggnog, those boys better be for real, this year, cause they will be directly compared to Austin and Eifert in terms of evaluation skill....damn man, what a shame if we don't get one.

Boik14 likes this.
  26. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    what..who..where?, you got something your heard Craze?

27. CANDolphan

Feb 18, 2012
    I post it whenever I get something. Sometimes its on here, sometimes it's on FH.

The first thing I was told was way back when a report came out that we were considering trading up in the top 10. My buddy told me that the talk around the office was Miami was absolutely going to trade up, but back into the 1st. They have guys of value.

I was also told that Miami was going to leave the draft with "8 extra guys on the roster", as I relayed to CK (he references it in his OP). IIRC it was 8 players, and my buddy hinted that it wasn't just from draftees. The phrasing he gave me felt very specific.

I'd have to check PMs between myself and CK to verify, as my memory is awful. Clearly CK heard it other places or else I don't think he'd just reference my info, I'm not that reliable haha

This was posted immediately when people posted rumors about Miami trading up about a month ago (IIRC)

28. CANDolphan

Feb 18, 2012
    Miami tried to trade up to the #33 pick last year, but I never knew for whom. My buddy (different than the one I'm quoting in the thread above) texted me saying "Well Miami will have the 1st pick tomorrow" on the thursday night, as I suppose a trade was in place.

My speculation was it was for a WR, as later on Jeff Ireland made a pretty big offer to move up from their 3rd round pick to grab Rueben Randle.

29. Bpk

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think Ireland gives Philbins opinions a LOT of weight.

I thik about the players who we saw leave Miami, from Ocho, to Gates, and even Vontae's trade... and with the possible exception of Ocho, they seem to be about a coaching-staff that was not very happy with the players. Then I think about Michael Egnew. Sure Jeff, you can pick him, but we don't have to play him. Mike Sherman made that pretty clear over the course of the year, even answering a media questions about Egnew with something to the effect of you'll have to ask Jeff Ireland. So I see a GM who, in some ways, had a coaching staff telling him "These are the players you think are okay and we are telling you, no, they aren't"

And it seemed Ireland deferred.

A big part of that, I think, is that Joe Philbin has an easy-style, it seems, with Ireland. He epxresses his opinion strongly but never seemed to question or undermine Jeff himself... Philbin would strongly lay out how he felt, but 'leave it up to Jeff'. honestly, I feel like he is like a Dad getting his son to behave because the son is being left to his own devices but has been told what he needs to do if he wants Dad's approval. Now, Jeff is PHILBIN'S boss, make no mistake... but there is still something interesting in the dynamic they have, if you watch it.

In fact, when Jeff Ireland's track record on 2nd and 3rd round picks was attacked in the presser, the first thing he did was 'run to Daddy' in a way by immediately brining up how Joe Philbin is now i the room too as an explanation of how things will be different. I think he actually relies on Joe Philbin somewhat. Jeff Ireland, I'm convinced, is growing out of a very one-way-to-look-at-football mindset and I think he is honestly ENJOYING the process of kicking things around with Joe and seeing football through a different set of eyes than Parcells. Parcells, his mentor, is gone, and Joe is a mentor of another sort.

DPlus47, Boik14 and Fin-Omenal like this.
  30. Bpk

Yeah, the more I look at realistic draft scenarios, the more I realize that the draft-porn fantasy of Austin or Eifert are not likely to be reality.

31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    So then it's just one trade up, and that is back into the first your hearing?

32. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    That has the recent interest in Te'o written all over it

ssmiami and azfinfanmang like this.
  33. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Damn u BK..

Jk buddy

34. Bpk

I think what Crazy's buddy is referencing is something I've been speculating on for months... that it makes perfect sense, too much sense, to see the Dolphins trade a pick (or picks) for a current NFL starter on draft day. Jeff ants impact players for his contract year, imo, and no one can contribute faster than a current NFL player.

35. Bpk

Cheer up. I'm pretty sure we will land Moe Lee. Light a cigar.

36. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    He'd ignore him in his appropriate round, and he'd ignore him in two subsequent rounds. With Lamar Miller they ignored him in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and felt urgent about moving up in the 4th. Is what it is.

I don't think he believes Garner is a viable starter at tackle at all and the most surprising thing is that he didn't break out into laughter as he said it. He wanted to.

I also disagree with the character/intelligence/maturity thing. He was clearly trying to assert that he and Philbin see eye to eye on those things. When he noted he's more of a risk taker than Philbin, he's talking about something else. I think there's Philbin has probably been prodding Ireland about injury cases, particularly with respect to Brent Grimes and Jake Long. Probably also Lance Louis. I think Philbin has probably sent a joke or two at him about getting a bunch of training room guys.

I agree with most other things.

He's enjoying an inside joke at WR. The nature of the inside joke is hard to say though. Could easily be that they won't even take a single one in the whole draft.

Tight end is back to being a low priority, like it or not.

Could be right about the off-man skill set with respect to Grimes and potentially Xavier Rhodes. You're absolutely right about D.J. Hayden possessing that skill set. Wouldn't necessarily say that Xavier Rhodes doesn't, though.

37. CANDolphan

Feb 18, 2012
    No no, that was at the time. I later heard that Miami was not in play for Oakland's 3rd, but they were certainly in play for the 6th from Cleveland. It was a contingent trade based on 2 guys, one of which my buddy (pure speculation on his part) felt was Dee Milliner. I'll have to find it. I post these things and nobody reads them haha.

He also slightly hinted that Miami was going to trade for an actual player. It was vague as ****, and I asked him to clarify but he gave me what he gave me. I really should keep a list of these things.

38. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Brandon Albert for a 2nd and a slightly smaller contract than Jake?

39. Bpk

If he had faith in Garner as a starter he'd pay him like one.

40. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I think we're ignoring the obvious player that could actually protect Tannehill in his rookie year. Miami has the money and the picks to land Brandon Albert. Lane Johnson may not even be a decent player in the NFL. Ireland will let teams take care of their need at tackle and then get the reasonably priced guy that can protect his QB this year. At 12 he can then select Rhodes, Bernard, followed by a number of other players. (He can use picks to trade up and nab the top talent area in the draft).

In all likeliness Albert will outperform Johnson in their rookie year and this is Ireland's year to save his ***.

UCF FINatic likes this.