1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Realistic Draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Jaj, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I showed you guys my preference for the draft previously. Now let's look at something more realistic based on who Miami has shown interest in and their history.

1- Xavier Rhodes

Following K.C.'s pick of Joeckel and their insistence on a 2nd plus an extra conditional pick Miami will sign Eric Winston or Tyson Clabo. In the later rounds they'll look at a future replacement for either veteran, possibly Ricky Wagner if he slides.

30th overall 1- Keenan Allen (Miami trades a third rounder to move up and get him)

Keenan Allen fits what Miami looks for in a WR. I expect Hopkins to be gone but around 30 Allen with a trade up would be a good selection considering his size, physicality, experience in the WCO, and RAC ability. I think he'd be an excellent fit in the slot and Bess will be traded for a fifth later in the draft. That would open up some cash for a RB signing which I will get to it in a bit.

2- Sylvester Williams

Miami has shown tremendous interest in DTs this year and Sylvester Williams is a guy I could see doing well in a pass rush NT/three technique role, eventually supplanting Starks. I'm assuming Giovani Bernard is gone here and that Miami will look either in FA around June 1st or a trade like the Reggie Bush trade to fulfill it's second RB role. The Winston versus Long signing will give them a little cash to play with, possibly enough to bring in a veteran pass rusher as well on a one-year deal.

3- Travis Kelce

He's slipped because of injury but there's no question he'd be an asset at this spot especially if Keller eventually leaves. In the third round he's a good value.

3- (traded to move up for a WR)

4- Kiko Alonso

Miami has shown tremendous interest in ILBs and LBs in general across the board. I suspect Ellerbe is going to be a SLB for Miami and they'll go for a high instinct MLB the way they did in Cinncinnati with run thumpers that can blitz. He will start.

5- Brandon McGee

Two corners? Yes two CBs. He has been scouted by Miami this offseason and he fulfills that Hurricane need. In a year he'll replace Patterson saving Miami close to five million. Not bad for a fourth round pick.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  2. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't see Miami trading up for Allen, and I honestly don't think he'll be there at 30 anyway after he works out.

3. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Miami does not have a 4th round comp.

4. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I'll have to adjust for that. My guess would be the LB spot takes the fall to the 5th with the 4th being McGee.

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't see Miami manipulating their draft for a wide receiver.

If Tank Carradine were to fall to pick #22 where the Rams select a second time, I could see Miami manipulating their draft for him. Or Bjoern Werner, for that matter. Or Tyler Eifert.

sports24/7 likes this.
  6. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Have they shown interest in either?

7. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Does it matter? I'm sure they've spoken with all three of them one way or another.

8. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    If you're speaking about a first round pick there should be some trail. I'm looking right now to see if Werner is on their interview radar.

9. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Nice Mock. I really appreciate the work and thoughts you have put behind these btw.

I prefer Trufant, but there is zero doubt that Rhodes has LOADS of talent and might well end up being the better pro... I don't think so, but that's just my thought. I think getting another top-level CB, whether it be draft or FA is crucial.

Keenan Allen is one of my favorite guys in the draft. Chris disagrees with me, but I think the kid, if he can stay healthy, is going to be a very very very good WR in the NFL.

Love Kelce. I think we need him or a guy just like him. Also a need, not a want IMHO

Absolutely love Kiko Alonso!!! Kid is a serious baller. Our special teams would IMMEDIATELY be better, and could really earn a starting role as time goes on.

Jaj likes this.
  10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    There doesn't have to be a "trail".

They were at the FSU pro day I'm sure. I'm sure they interviewed he and Carradine at the Combine. There's nothing that says they only draft people that visit Davie.

We're not going to ever know every single guy they talked to.

MrClean likes this.
  11. MrClean

I don't expect Ireland is going to show a lot of overt interest in every player he'll consider drafting early. One of our first rounders of recent vintage said after the draft that Miami had only spoken to him at either the combine or Senior Bowl, and not again prior to taking him. Cannot recall which one said that. Odrick or Pouncey maybe.
    So, to use pre draft visits and such as an indicator of who Miami will take seems sort of incomplete to me.

12. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    If you're going by that idea, Carradine fits that DE spot exceptionally well. He's one of the few with the size to stop the run on that side and absolutely wreck havoc on the QB. 40 plus the early third might get in that range since the Rams love their draft picks.

13. MrClean

1. Exactly.
    2. Exactamundo, and if we did know, then they are doing something wrong IMO.

14. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Bottom line is they draft guys that they've shown some level of interest in at some point, but they show some level of interest in like 100 to 150 players. It makes "tea leave" reading out to be nearly impossible. Fruitless.

15. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    If anything it makes previous action based reading the only way to go.

16. MrClean

Then, thou are a wise old reprobate Mr Kenneth. :shifty: Kiko was the MVP of that defense in 2012 IMO. The definite emotional leader anyway. Michael Clay was very good too, but Kiko brought that fire. IMO, he should have been the Fiesta Bowl defensive MVP rather than Clay.

17. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I like the Alonzo pick. I don't care for the rest of the draft at all.

18. MrClean

My sentiments too. Hence, I prefer to just sit back and watch the process play out, rather than engage in too much mental masturbation trying to pretend I can possibly know with much certainty what they are gonna do.

19. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    To some degree it's fine, but it becomes difficult the further you go in the draft. The only chance you really have to reevaluate is in the 4th round and at the top of the 2nd round.

20. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    There are certain ways you can predict the targets. I just don't think the visits/interviews/pro days are a great one. I think by the end when you've compiled a list 100-150 strong, it's a screening mechanism...but no more.

21. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    This year we'll put the Ireland prediction theory to the test, we'll see if it holds up. Also there are a number of factors to predict in that back end of the first. When do the pass rushers start to fly off the board (I've heard Ireland say board-keeps popping out in my mind)?