1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High-mileage cars mean motorists should pay for miles driven

Discussion in 'Economics and Financials' started by MikeHoncho, Apr 2, 2013.

1. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-beach/fl-pay-for-miles-driven-20130330,0,1955800.story

Thoughts?

2. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Just place tolls on the roads. There's now way people will vote for this.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    This is complete and utter BS.

People are driving less, because gas is so high. And they could easily find the money (across the board for the government) if they didn't have the incredibly stupid and wasteful practice of spending X to get X+Y the next year in budget. When the government stops burning surplus money on pointless projects so they can get more money the next year, then I'll hear what they have to say.

anditsgood, ToddPhin, Boik14 and 8 others like this.
  4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Heh, idiots what happens when people simply register their cars out of state, or keep them registered in the state they just moved from?

Greedy bastids aren't they though.

steveincolorado and azfinfanmang like this.
  5. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Love the smell of taxes in the morning. Can't wait to be tracked then taxed on the way to work/school.

6. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Uuuuuh, no.

7. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Lots of Toll-roads in and around Dallas. People can either drive very nice, fast roads going where they are going, or take other routes.

For me, I can get from my house to DFW:

Via Toll Road-30 mins
    Via "Other Routes"-50 mins.

Depends on how much of a hurry I am in.

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Funny thing about toll roads, it's the same for some people as driving 15 miles to save 5 cents on a gallon of gas, some folks just won't use them if at all possible.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  9. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    And, you just describe, first my brother in law, then my mother in law ROFLMFAO!!!!

My brother in law drives, from Eastern Plano, all the way to Western Frisco just to save 4 cents a gallon on gas. He is an educated man... blows me away.

My Mother in law, to her credit, has been driving these same roads since eons before the toll roads were up, so she actually feels they are an encroachment to the roads she has always driven. She scowls when she rides with me and I make my way up the ramp rofl.

10. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    If they start charging for miles driven, they definitely need to remove the state taxes at the gas pump.

I personally don't agree with taxing miles driven.

11. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    These are the sorts of stupid ideas that will drive me to become a low-tax Republican.

First, not that many people drive these high mileage cars to make a real dent in what they're talking about. Second, as was noted before, people drive less because gas is expensive. Yesterday I filed up for 3.85 a gallon. In 2001-2 when I drove across this country, it was .98 off I-95 in Georgia.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  12. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009

The idea is to get rid of the Gas Tax.

13. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    This is a good idea, but only if they keep the gas tax.

14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I believe the unsaid here is b/c people are not buying the volume of new cars they once did the various taxes and usage fees are down as well, it's not simply the gas tax revenues.

15. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    You got to pay for that Carbon Footprint!!!!!

16. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    One of the Biggest scams going. Capital B.

finyank13 likes this.
  17. Eshlemon

Eshlemon Well-Known Member

All recessions have driven reductions in miles driven but won't disagree some value to higher mileage cars. But there is another metric that shows a significant affect, Population-adjusted growth vehicle miles driven and changing demographics.

[​IMG]

http://www.businessinsider.com/vehicle-miles-driven-2012-12

18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Its all gas prices. 2005 is when prices started to climb. People forget that in the 2000's gas prices were a little over $1/gallon. Its more than 3 times that. If someone was spending $40/week in gas back then just to get to and from work, they'd be spending $120/week now. That's where the money has gone that was spent on goods and services before. That's why our economy blows.

19. Eshlemon

Inflation in gas prices does is not all the reduction in miles driven per the article. A correlation for gas prices seems to be more with corresponding economic performance, an economy at the same rate of inflationary growth as gas prices won't see a reduction in miles driven for instance. While an economy in recession always shows a reduction in miles driven as does the is the change in demographics.

20. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Couldnt agree more...

21. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    This wasn't a typical recession though.

I remember what happened on a micro scale and I doubt I was alone. Everyone I knew found ways to travel less. Less trips to the store. Less trips for entertainment. That meant less driving, that meant less spending. Hell, the Great Gas Gouge, seemingly helped Amazon and e-commerce:
    [​IMG]

I personally feel that the gas prices were a major factor in the Housing Bubble Burst. Again, people were paying 3 times in gas what they were used to. They had to get to work. People living tight, (the exact demographic that would have 2 year arms on their mortgages) could not make ends meet with that kind of increase in gas....especially when you factor in what fuel did to the prices of every thing else.

They haven't gone down either. This is the new reality. People are adapting, but part of that is simply less travel.

22. Eshlemon

Typical recession, no. But not unprecedented, Inflationary adjusted prices the late 70's was as high as now. Miles driven recovered as price went down. Prices aren't expected to go down, but higher mpg and less gas use for wear and tear on roads for a recovery would be valid. If you don't consider the baby bust and population momentum decrease with changing population adjusted as part of current and future miles driven decrease. Changing tech will impact is part of the longterm future, going back in time to alter demographics won't...at least not yet.

But not surprising the government would ever to make sure to frame this in a way to get more money for government to spend.

23. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

The major problem with this tax is that millions of tourists come to Florida in their own cars every year. They also use the roads and yet since they don't live in Florida, there is no way they would be taxed for the use of Florida roads unless they happen to drive on a toll road.

The only fair way to fund the repair of roads would be to increase the gas tax. That would insure that everyone who drives on roads in Florida would have to help pay for the wear and tear of the roads. This idea of just having the citizens of Florida pay two cents a mile is totally absurd.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  24. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    the tourist also purchase goods and services which provides the nice people of florida jobs which allow them to pay the gas tax for the roads to bring more tourists into florida so they can have a job tomorrow.

those pesky tourist. always drivin on our roads all smug like.

25. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have no problem with tourists in Florida. What I have a problem with is anyone thinking that taxing citizens for the number of miles they drive makes any sense at all. We already pay gas taxes to help build and repair roads. I know I would never agree to have any type of monitor placed in my three cars, just so Big Brother can collect additional money from me. As I stated before, go ahead and increase gasoline taxes if that is necessary. That way those who drive the most will end up paying more in taxes.

As far as the tourists providing jobs to Florida citizens. While I will agree that this is true, I would also argue that most of these jobs in the tourist industry are low paying jobs with little or no benefits. Florida would be better off to rely less on tourism and instead develop a technology based economy. This would bring higher paying jobs to the state, along with a better educated population. It is the reliance on tourism to an extreme which has caused Florida to rank near the bottom in median family income and in money spent on childhood education.

26. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Easy to force us. All they have to do is withhold our tag renewals until we consent.

27. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Once the state politicians decide that they want to enforce a law which monitors how many miles I drive, my wife and I will simply sell our home and move to another state. Fortunately I am retired and have the financial resources to live where ever I choose. I have remained in South Florida so far because our daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren live here.

I had thought about moving out west when I retired 8 years ago, but we decided to remain in Florida, only because of family. The grandchildren are getting older and they could always come to our new home and visit us during the summer, if they want to. I would actually prefer to live in Colorado, California, Oregon, Washington, or Hawaii. So I'm not really concerned about having to pay this stupid fee, because I would merely get the hell out of this state if this law ever passed.

28. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Couldnt agree more.

finyank13 likes this.
  29. I think its a great idea. It gives them a reason to require everyone to install a tracking device in our vehicles so they can mail you speeding tickets too. Sounds like a wonderful idea. Maybe they can figure out a way to monitor if your seat belt is on too so they can mail you a ticket for that as well. Count me all in

finyank13 likes this.
  30. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    But how would they know who is driving, ticket them and -- very important -- add points accordingly? Naturally households will have cars with multiple drivers. You'll need to enter your unique login into the vehicle's DOT tracking device for that.

Thankfully all this technology requires little/no overhead, little complication and zero risk of compromise server side.

On a serious note, my hope would be that -- all things considered -- they'd realize what a bear this would be to administer and how much could go wrong with it.

shula_guy likes this.
  31. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    oh wait until it also becomes the way you pay for your car insurance. They are already doing it....look up progressive, there is a device you plug into your car and whala

32. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    right but with any GOV'T program we start at at 2 cents then end up at 6 or 7 for admin reasons

They got us on health insurance.....infrastruture is next