1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Randy Kiper's 1st Round Mock Draft

Discussion in '2013 GM League Forum' started by GridIronKing34, Mar 21, 2013.

1. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Here it is, the highly anticipated first round mock draft of thee one and only Randy Kiper... it's a shame that Peter Kiper hasn't awoken from his drunk stupor. I suppose he doesn't realize that the draft is just a few days away. Of course, these are the choices that the teams will likely make based on the make-up of their roster and their general manager's past history. The only wild card is that damn St. Louis Rams' GM... he seems to make moves just to make them. AJ Jenkins? Really? Without further ado, Randy Kiper's final first round mock draft of 2013.

001 - Pittsburgh Steelers - Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
    There are a lot of question marks surrounding the Steelers' secondary and the cornerback position is the one that stands out the most. The Steelers should be worried about the longterm health of Derek Cox and the unimpressive play out of William Gay's 2012 campaign. Cortez Allen showed a lot of promise last year and Curtis Brown is still fighting for play time. Expect Dee Milliner to have an instant impact in the Steelers' secondary bringing them to average to good in a matter of seconds.

002 - New England Patriots - Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
    The Patriots started a youth movement after sending Tom Brady and Vince Wilfork packing. Replacing Brady is former Dolphins quarterback Matt Moore and for Wilfork, BJ Raji entered the picture. The Patriots are going to go with the best interior pass rusher in Sharrif Flord who will complement Raji very well. Sharrif Floyd is your prototypical 4-3 undertackle and he should instantly surplant Kyle Love as the team's starter.

003 - Oakland Raiders - Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
    The Oakland Raiders GM isn't going to get too crazy with his draft selection considering Luke Joeckel is still on the board. Joeckel is the unanimous number one offensive lineman in the 2013 draft and it will be interesting to see how the Raiders handle this situation. I expect to see Jared Veldheer return to Oakland next season as the starting left tackle while the Raiders invest the third overall pick in a right tackle. Questionable? Maybe but all I have to say is... Oakland.

004 - Detroit Lions - Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
    The Detroit Lions need a quarterback, that shouldn't be an argument with anyone. However the question is when will they invest one of their four first round draft picks in one? The Lions will take zero chances in the top five and select the best quarterback on their board in Geno Smith. The Lions decided to really overhaul their roster as this year you'll see a team without Matthew Stafford, Calvin Johnson, and Ndamukong Suh. Geno Smith will be the face of the franchise, for better or worse.

005 - Detroit Lions - Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
    With the recent retirement of veteran left tackle Jeff Backus, the Lions have to fill a position that they weren't planning on doing. The Lions pick again at seven overall however they will not let the Dolphins trade down and allow a team to steal Eric Fisher from them. Fisher has shot up the draft boards this year and he has the strength, size, and athleticism you need at left tackle. It's only five picks into the draft and the Lions have already filled their two pressing needs.

006 - Miami Dolphins - Jarvis Jones, LB, Georgia
    The Miami Dolphins could go a number of ways with this draft selection but they'll likely select Jarvis Jones out of Georgia. Jones would likely compete with incumbent starter Koa Misi at strongside linebacker. Jones brings something that the Dolphins linebacker corp does not currently possess, a strong edge rusher. When you add Cameron Wake and Trent Cole into the picture, it gives Dolphins defense coordinator Kevin Coyle a lot of flexibility with rushing the passer.

007 - Detroit Lions - Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
    As mentioned previously, the Lions sent the NFL's bad boy Ndamukong Suh packing for the likes of Miles Austin and change. The Lions will look for his replacement in the draft and find the big boy out of Utah that many are comparing to Haloti Ngata. Lotulelei has had some red flags rise up with a heart condition however he seems to check out medically. The Lions will not pass up a chance to draft a talent like Lotulelei outside the top five.

008 - Cincinnati Bengals - Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama
    The Bengals have filled out their roster nicely with not many holes easily visible. However one pressing need that Cincinnati has is the lack of an interior offensive line. Chance Warmack is probably the safest selection in the draft according to experts and he would instantly fill a huge need at left guard. Travelle Wharton and Chris Spencer aren't exactly Pro Bowl guards so expect the Bengals to address the position in the draft even if it's not in the first round.

009 - Baltimore Ravens - Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
    The Baltimore Ravens made their fair share of questionable moves thus far this season with the release of Bernard Pierce and Bernard Pollard, trading away Ray Rice, Terrell Suggs, and Haloti Ngata, as well as acquiring Mike Vick. Right now the Ravens currently have a big question mark at the wide receiver position with Santonio Holmes and Jacoby Jones leading the way. Expect Baltimore to invest a high draft pick in a wide receiver and if the best receiver in the draft is available, they'll pounce.

010 - Tennessee Titans - Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State
    The Titans will be tempted to go linebacker here in the top ten but with no linebacker really worth taking this early, they'll opt to select the best defensive end in the draft in Bjoern Werner. Wener may not offer much more than a situational pass rusher right away but having Israel Idonije on the roster to ease the process will allow the Titans to be patient. It may be a year in the making but Werner will eventually complement Kamerion Wimbley at left end.

011 - Houston Texans - Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
    The Texans will look at Lane Johnson as the best available player and their current tackles are no reason to pass up Johnson, who could instantly start in Houston.

012 - Cleveland Browns - Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina
    The Browns were likely hoping that one of the big three tackles fell to them at twelve overall but they'll settle with Jonathan Cooper who is looking to be a very good offensive guard in the NFL.

013 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
    The Tampa Bay Buccaneers will look to employ a high energy offense with the likes of Tim Tebow, Reggie Bush, Percy Harvin, and newly acquired Tavon Austin... hello, ticket sales!

014 - Baltimore Ravens - Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
    The Ravens opted to select the best wide receiver at nine overall but this time they'll shore up the secondary after trading Ladarius Webb away.

015 - New Orleans Saints - Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
    The Saints will be elated that Sheldon Richardson falls to fifteen overall as he is clearly one of the best players available and it fills a need.

016 - St. Louis Rams - Kenny Vacarro, FS, Texas
    The Rams have plenty of flexibility here but after losing out on every safety known to man in free agency, they won't risk losing out on Kenny Vaccarro.

017 - Kansas City Chiefs - Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
    The Chiefs cannot be satisified going into the draft with Tony Moeaki as their starting tight end, Moeaki is an injury waiting to happen and Eifert will bring stability to the position.

018 - Dallas Cowboys - Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon
    The Cowboys aren't afraid to take a chance on raw talent and Dion Jordan is just that. He doesn't know where he'll play him quite yet but the Cowboys GM will be ready for a shot or three after this pick.

019 - New York Giants - Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU
    The Giants will look to replace Osi Umeniyiora in the draft and with Justin Tuck on the trade block, it should be safe to say that the Giants are looking to get younger on the line.

020 - Chicago Bears - DJ Fluker, OT, Alabama
    The Bears won the Branden Albert sweepstakes but if he watched any film of J'Marcus Webb (or asked anyone in Chicago) then he'd know that the right tackle position is still a need.

021 - Denver Broncos - Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU
    It was expected to see the Broncos select a cornerback here but after the Nnamdi Asomugha signing, the Broncos will instead take a chance on Mingo... who had no business falling this far.

022 - St. Louis Rams - Keenan Allen, WR, California
    The Rams can't be arrogant enough to think that their wide receivers are good to go for 2013, can they? I think the AJ Jenkins trade will not prevent them from drafting Keenan Allen here.

023 - Minnesota Vikings - Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
    The Vikings will select Desmond Trufant and his entire family! Lots of smoke coming from Minnesota after signing Marcus and Isaiah Trufant so I think they'll go for the Trufecta... I'll let myself out.

024 - Green Bay Packers - Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M
    The Packers have made a relatively seamless transition to the 4-3 defense thus far but even with some oustanding pass rushers in Mathis and Sheard, they won't pass up on Damontre Moore this late.

025 - Seattle Seahawks - Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia
    The Seahawks GM seemingly thinks every position on their roster is better than yours so I'm just throwing darts here... The Hawks will go with Ogletree to give them a very young and talented linebacker group for their 3-3-5 defense.

026 - Green Bay Packers - Matt Elam, SS, Florida
    The Packers will continue to shore up that defense because they have Aaron Rodgers... so who needs to draft offense? Craig Dahl isn't an ideal starter and PSG should know that... Elam instantly starts at strong safety.

027 - Jacksonville Jaguars - Kevin Minter, LB, LSU
    The Jaguars appear to be running a 3-4 defense in 2013 and they can't be happy with their inside linebackers at this point in time... they'll take the best one in the draft.

028 - San Francisco 49ers - Datone Jones, DE, UCLA
    The 49ers have a strong defense because of their depth and right now the depth is non-existant on the defensive line... Datone Jones is a bit of a project but the 49ers know what they're doing apparently.

029 - New England Patriots - DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
    The Patriots elected to select the best defensive tackle early in the draft because they felt the wide receivers would be fairly good in the late firs round... Hopkins has been shooting up the draft boards.

030 - Detroit Lions - Jonathan Banks, CB, Mississippi State
    After the surprise retirement of Chris Gamble (the Lions have the best luck), it left Detroit with another hole to fill... Jonathan Banks' slow 40 is the only reason he falls this far.

031 - San Francisco 49ers - Matt Barkley, QB, USC
    Barkley had to fall somewhere so why not San Francisco? They let Colin Kaepernick go in favor of Alex Smith so they could certainly use some insurance in case Alex Smith starts to play like... Alex Smith.

032 - Green Bay Packers - Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State
    The Packers once again draft more help on defense and this time they'll go with a big man in the middle to replace BJ Raji. At 6'3", 320 pounds... this guy should complement Kyle Williams at nose tackle.

Vengeful Odin, UCFinfan86 and Paul 13 like this.
  2. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I dont think every position is better then yours. I just know what my team needs. This is the first one thats not out of the question....

3. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I'm just razzing you.

4. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    respect.

5. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Why didn't you spread your mock out in a Bleacher Report style fashion?

6. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    Hmmmmm? Guess the secrets out

7. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Because **** anticipation.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  8. wakeupitsfootball

wakeupitsfootball Master Pimp

Feb 8, 2013
    Wisconsin

Do I sense sarcasm?

9. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    You pick up on things quickly... :shifty:

10. 305

305 Brawndo Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Get off my lawn.
    You forgot to add in there that he's watched a lot of tape :lol:

11. wakeupitsfootball

Feb 8, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Just for the record, I'm drafting Jessica Simpson in the first round.

12. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    That pick has bust written all over it.

13. wakeupitsfootball

Feb 8, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I hope not, I've seen her eat 24 Twinkies in under 3 minuets. Pretty impressive. Placing her at Nose Tackle is a viable option at this point, I think she could start.

14. 305

305 Brawndo Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Get off my lawn.
    Todd McVeigh said she would be a bust at TE but could play WR.

15. wakeupitsfootball

Feb 8, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Receiver at 320 pounds?