1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New college rule

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by pumpdogs, Feb 17, 2013.

1. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    New college football rule to add ejection for intentional high hit
    Published: Wednesday, February 13, 2013

By The Associated Press

A college football player who delivers a hit to the head of a defenseless opponent could be kicked out of the game next season under an NCAA proposal that took a step forward Wednesday.

The NCAA Football Rules Committee said it had unanimously approved strengthening of the penalty for intentional above-the-shoulder hits. The 15-yard penalty will now have an ejection tacked on, assuming the Playing Rules Oversight Panel approves the plan next month.

These rules are really starting to destroy football in general.Its just a matter of time before the ejection process works its way into the nfl.

2. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Good luck with that.

3. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    They should do what Will Allen did to Willis Mcgahee in the National title game....go for the knees.

SICK likes this.
  4. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    That's pretty harsh. I think making an offending player sit out a series or a quarter would be more appropriate than outright ejection. The referees have to interpret whether or not the hit was intentional... so, that's completely objective. They'd be kicking a guy out of a game based upon an opinion as to whether the player was trying to injure an opponent or not. That's not fair, IMO. So, the penalty needs to come down or they need to vote that rule down.

5. Dan Griese

Dan Griese New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    The continued pussification of american football disgusts me, bring back the XFL, or something that resembles how the game used to be.

6. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I was listening to troy aikman on the radio and he said he thinks in 5 years the nfl will no longer be the most popular sport in america because of all the existing rule changes and the future rule changes.
    The reality is the nfl doesn't give a **** about the players they are just protecting themselves against future law suits.I don't know why they just don't have the players just sign a waiver to prevent them from sueing if they have complications in the future to protect the game.This is what nascar does to prevent what is happening now in the nfl.
    They are already talking about removing kickoffs and making the field as wide as the cfl.

7. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Sounds like Troy has been hit in the head one to many times.

jboogie likes this.
  8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    This is BS imo, it's pussification to hit a defenseless player, especially in the head..

I really think it's so tough when a safety Knocks the **** out of a receiver coming across the middle who hadn't clue what was coming, nor the ability to brace themselves for contact, yet the safety gets up and acts like he's some ****ing bad ***..that's some ***** **** right there..laughable actually.

It's like beating up a kid that won't fight back, and bragging about it..real tough man.

Boik14, Phinfanjt and PSG like this.
  9. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Exactly, What an idiot statement by him..

10. NolePhin15

NolePhin15 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Jupiter
    They kicked Nigel Bradham out of the Miami game a couple years ago for a hit to the chest.

VanDolPhan likes this.
  11. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    We need the XFL. Perfect time for them to come back and get rid of all the ****ty penalties.

12. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Im fine with them reviewing and suspending for the NEXT game. Ejection is ridiculous.

GMJohnson and Larry Little like this.
  13. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I think there needs to be some middle ground.
    I think head shots to a defenseless player needs to a reviewable incident. With the refs being told that 'when in doubt throw the flag', its resulting in some blatantly bad penalties.

ToddPhin, GMJohnson and djphinfan like this.
  14. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    There are alot of things in this world that need to be brought back from extinction, the XFL is absolutely NOT one of them.

Boik14 and Larry Little like this.
  15. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    This.

Every contact sport is having issues coming to terms with concussions (cause and long term affects). They need to bring in rules that lessen the blows to the head, I agree. Call it like it is, 15 yard penalty. If upon further review they find the player intentionally went head hunting then SEVERE penalty after the fact is something I can get on board with everyday of the week.

I don't get the outcry from players and fans about "pussification" to be honest. The NFL is trying to put the genie back in the bottle as far as hitting goes, and I agree with them. Once upon a time people TACKLED, now they "hit". Force the fundamentals back in the game. This argument people are having right now in football circles is five years old in hockey circles....and still no correct solution has been found in hockey. It's a long process.

Boik14 and djphinfan like this.
  16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Why would anyone support hitting defenseless payers, I think ones that do and are criticizing aren't really thinking it thru..

Where is the fairness in the impact if one knows and targets and one has no clue?, is that really cool to you or something, you get off on that, do you get up and scream and act like your player is a bad ***, cause if you do you might wanna think it thru..

It's a pu$$y move and I applaud the NFL for sticking thru it amidst the ignorant statements by the likes of a Troy Aikman..I guess he's just to stupid to understand the concept of what their trying to do..

Folks who applaud the hard hits on defenseless players probabaly are sucker punchers.

Boik14 likes this.
  17. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

Ok ban him....

Fin-Omenal and SICK like this.
  18. Triggercut

Triggercut Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2011
    I don't think that anyone is applauding hitting other players for no reason, typically there is a flag for hitting a receiver who is in the process of catching a pass, usually for a large gain of yardage, and the purpose for the hit is to stop that from happening. There are flags which are appropriate for hitting defensless players such as chop blocks, horsecollar, and hitting out of bounds (when the play is effectively over). The calls such as the topic of the thread are purely subjective to the ref and in many cases the trajectory of the defensive player is appropriate, while the WR ducks his head to withstand the blow.

19. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I was coming here to say this. If I am a player, I start going low and blowing up a defenseless players knee. How do you stop a guy from running? Take out his legs. You are going to throw me out of a game for a hit? Then I am going low. They thought headaches and one week on the sidelines was bad? ACL will have you out for a year, or ruin a career.

This **** is getting ridiculous.

Oboy, Fin-Omenal and Ozzy like this.
  20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    it's not getting ridiculous Sick, it needs to start ground level, and I think it is, its about not leading with your head to tackle, wrap it up baby, simple as that..If players can't get it, then the consequences aren't strong enough to, hence the extreme measures..

21. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Dj, with your adreneline flying through your veins, your watching for play action, your in a zone, do you have over the top help? Is the running back blocking and releasing late? Is it a draw play, wait, look at the QBs eyes, hes checking down, look right, theres a WR, perephial vision, you see the ball, oh crap its going to the crossing route, Its my responsibility, theres the ball, TACKLE!!!!

All of that within 2 seconds of a play is going through a defenders head, and you want them to pinpoint a hit, and make sure its in the tiny little window thats "legal" all while the WR is ducking, juking, or falling to the ground?!?! Its ****ing ridiculous. They are trying to control something thats almost impossible to control. Its difficult to make a simple tackle sometimes on these amazing athletic WRs let alone, hit them in a specific zone.

22. Dan Griese

Dan Griese New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    It comes with the territory, they know what they got themselves into when they decided to play a position that involves catching the ball. Now, some guys ARE ruthless ********s with no class or decency, but to make guys second guess what they are doing out there in such a fast paced game just leads to indecisiveness and other issuses that negate any impact these rules have.

23. Dan Griese

Dan Griese New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Amen, my thoughts exactly.

24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    So a hit above the neck is uncontrollable?, I don't buy that, I think til this point it's been intentional..hit the body as hard as you want, not the head.

25. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    So hitting the head at full speed comes with the territory, if that's the case then it was a flawed technique, their athletes, they can adjust their target point, just start teaching it at all levels, and the instinct will change.

26. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    I don't have to hit your head to ring your bell. A good form tackle will do a sufficient job of snapping your head back with enough force to rattle your brain in your skull.

27. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    And in the meantime, there will be other injuries due to uncertainty in where to properly direct a shoulder because the action just became a conscious thought.

28. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Referee had Miami plus the points.

29. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I find it funny people keep clamoring for the football of "old" when the surviving players from that time have class action lawsuits against the league for all the damage they took playing in the gold old days.

30. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Then so be it, but the head does not need to be involved in the instinct, don't hit the fu&$in head..if you do, your gonna get serious consequences, why, because a defenseless player getting hit in the head by a player that's coming full speed is bush and they have to deal with the physical consequences..if its accidental, then review and judge accordingly.

31. Dan Griese

Dan Griese New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    **** happens on the football field, some good, some bad. If you walk on that field you accept the risk that comes with it. Can you adjust your target point accurately running full speed toward someone who is doing the same? What if youre playing in snow, ice, or rain and the person catching the ball happens to be falling? What if you were unbalanced? What if you are trying so hard to concentrate and make the right read so you dont get burned and get cut from the team, leaving you unable to provide for your family? There are WAY too many variables to take into account. As i said, there are dirty players, but you cant prevent everything. Let alone expect these guys to be perfect everytime. Sometimes its unavoidable, which you havnt taken into account, or refuse to accept.

32. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Gotta disagree there.

I haven't done a study but off the top of my head it seems like defenders are having more issues than the offensive players aka the guys absorbing most of the hits. When was Junior Seau ever a defenseless WR?

Decleaters are one of the most exciting plays in the game and probably the most violent to the naked eye. But if you took a poll I think most "defenseless" players would rather be hit in the chest/head than in the knees. Concussions are bad but ACL tears are worse. The WR and his QB should be responsible for protecting pass catchers, not the league office.

I understand the league wants to do the right thing, or avoid lawsuits, probably both. But how about outlawing offensive players targeting the knees of defensive players, lineman especially. They have that rule on kick offs but not on scrimmage plays. Brian Cushing was knocked out for the season vs NYJ on a cheap knee shot. Gotta be fair, no?

Football has always been a gladiator sport, like boxing. If you don't wanna get your bell rung, play tennis.

33. Dan Griese

Dan Griese New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    With his logic, I guess DJ never stubbed a toe, spilled a drink, or slipped on ice. Point being, not everything goes as planned or expected.

34. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    To be honest I think a lot of the lawsuits are for healthcare and long term coverage for medical expenses due to playing football, long after they are done making a check from it.

Skeet84 and Ozzy like this.
  35. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Your, "once upon a time" statement regarding tackling vs hitting isn't factual. I have watched football since the 1950's and I can assure you the hitting was much worst in the early years of the NFL than it is today. There was a time where the defensive players could legally bring a player down with a clothesline tackle. It was also legal to grab players by their face mask and their shoulder pads to bring them down. It used to be that defensive backs in the NFL tried to knock out receivers who came across the middle. The defensive backs of the Raiders were known, "head hunters" in the 1970's. They didn't care about the proper way to tackle. They just wanted to hurt or knock out any receiver who came across the middle.

The only reason the game seems more brutal today is that the players are bigger and stronger than the players were only a few decades ago. The fact that the retired players who have played in the last 15-40 years are now suffering from the full effects of the game, merely shows that the HITTING has always been vicious.

You might have learned the proper way to tackle when you were younger, but the reality is that once in the NFL, players would do anything necessary to bring down the ball carrier. The reason so many rules have been implemented to make the game safer is because of the vicious hitting which existed in the NFL since the inception of the NFL.

So I'm not really sure when you watched games in the NFL where there was only tackling and no hitting. I haven's seen any games like that in the NFL, in the last 50 plus years.

36. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    The players are bigger and stronger because of better steroids Hgh etc.Get rid of the steroid problem and play football old school and no more of these stupid rule changes.
    ****ing flagfootball is almost upon us.

37. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I understand that some hits on the head will happen for the reasons you state, but if its because its been targeted by the defender then they should deal with the consequences, the head does not need to be a part of the tackle in no way shape or form..especially in a defenseless player..it's the ultimate sucker punch..

38. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    So when did decleating someone have to involve hitting above the neck.?

39. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Your last sentence has nothing to do with what I'm talking about..

40. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    You're exactly right, football is a violent game no two ways about it.

That being said obviously we see some unnecessary hits in wich guys lead and lunge using the helmet as a weapon. Those plays should be penalized. But Jesus man the refs are anxious to call anything even resembling a vicious hit.

It's a judgment call and so far the officials judgment's have been inconsistent to bad.