1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our New Running Backs

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by UCF FINatic, Apr 28, 2008.

Tags:
  1. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I really was curious why we took 2 guys and did a lot of research and looked up a lot of stats on them. I found several interesting things that I would like to share with you:

JALEN PARMELE
    He has prototypical size at 6-0 221.
    He has NEVER fumbled in his college career. 589 Carries, not sure how many catches
    In 12 games last season 8 of his longest carries (in that game) went for over 33 yards.

He seems like a Bill Parcells kind of change of pace back. He is still powerful and fits the running game, but he has the speed and move to make you miss. I know everyone is saying it, but he could DEVELOP into a Marion Barber sort of HB.

Lex Hilliard
    He is 6-0, 235-240. Which makes him a FB/HB tweener
    Has had 0 fumbles on 681 carries in his college career (again not counting catches)
    Only 4 carries over 30 yards in 11 games last season.

He will either (or maybe even be used as both) be a goaline HB or a FB all together. Personally, I think he will be turned into a FB. His level of competition was not that good so he could take some developing. Its hard to project a HB to a FB because the skills are somewhat different, so I dont know how he will do there.

Just wanted to share with you all, especially the people I was talking to in the Draft Chat Room. I was really complaining about these guys, but after research thinkg they could be good, especially Parmele. I just was a little shocked that we would draft these players while better players were on the board, IN MY OPINION. Good work Ireland/Tuna they might have found a hidden gem....I hope at least.

fhinsfan, 54Fins, alen1 and 2 others like this.
  2. dgb11112

dgb11112 Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2008
    Atlanta
    Since Regan Manui has some legal issues he could find himself gone with the addition of Grisby for KC and Hilliard

MIKE likes this.
  3. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    I like Hilliard, but it might take him some time to learn the FB position. We will have to wait and see. Boomer Grisby is solid though.

4. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I see Parmele as a goaline/short yardage back. Not sure if it's needed, particularly with Ronnie, but that is the role I could see him filling. Hilliard probably makes Mauia expendable, particularly in light of the Juggernaut's recent bout of fisticuffs. The fumble stat is at once interesting and telling; this team is going to value ball control over offensive fireworks, that is apparent. I don't have a problem with either of these two picks, but I do believe we could have been better served in other areas.

5. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    parmele is a tough runner between the tackles he will get the tough yards and he will get the ball down by the goal line and also on the third and short

he is a grinder he will help soften up the defense

i like this pick i think he can be a good insurance policy if ronnie is not ready or if ricky goes up in smoke

hilliard reminds me of a mike alstott type of player a guy that can run the football but also can knock people on there *** i think he will be a fb for the phins but like some have said it will take him time to adjust to FB

6. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Nice write-up. I like the pick of Parmele. I think we drafted him under the impression that Ricky may not be here next year. Maybe were just keeping him round this year hoping he can up his value a bit so we can trade him away for a later pick next year. This guy can also play ST though, so its another nice reason to have him here. Sounds like he could turn into a nice RB for us too though.

7. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Hmmm, neither guy had a fumble in their ENTIRE college career's? Pretty damn impressive.

8. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    What intrigued me was when Ireland said Parmele could step in contribute on special teams. I wonder if that means Ted Ginn will see a reduced role as a PR and KR now that he is our top receiver. I love Ginn, but it makes you wonder about the whole, "You will love seeing him return Kicks." comment by Cameron last year.

Personally, I would love to see Ginn returning everything on special teams, but you have to ask at what cost? If it makes him less effective as a WR would you limit him on returns? Its an interesting situation. Parcells is know for being very involved with special teams so he could have just found us a special teams gem.

9. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Shoulda' had my boy,Ray Rice......:escape:

10. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Well I got the Parmele pick right. I was estatic when I found out.

11. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Bill Parcells? Is that you?

LOL

12. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I have to think Parmele is a real steal as some had him with a third round grade. Plus the 0 fumbles is truly special considering the number of carries these two had in college.