1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jonathan Martin vs. Jacksonville

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by UCF FINatic, Dec 16, 2012.

1. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Couldn't watch the game, but was wondering how he played... Any stupid penalties, etc?

I saw we only surrendered one sack throughout the game. Tyson Alualu got the sack and I am assuming he beat the RT Nate Garner to get to Tannehill. Is that correct?

Babin hasn't been great this year, but was on fire last year. You have to feel pretty good that Martin was able to stone wall him. I am wondering if Martin is good enough to let Jake Long walk without having to give him a monstrous salary. Currently, I am in favor of letting Long walk and using all that $$$ on a WR (Wallace or Jennings).

Thanks all!!

2. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    I have no idea how he played, which I think is a great sign.

Bpk likes this.
  3. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Promising performance against Babin. Noticed a few times where he got out of his stance quickly and then did a nice job turning his man to create a lane in the run game. Could be a very good zone blocking tackle for us moving forward. Nice thing is it doesn't require so much exertion & chance for injury when not having to rely on power to drive block his man off the line so often IMO.

NolesNPhinsFan likes this.
  4. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Babin was able to get around him and force a fumble on Tannehill... although I don't think you can fault Martin for that since Tannehill held the ball for so long.. ran out of the pocket and tried to throw the ball while being tackled from behind. He didn't do anything that was noticeably horrible. No penalties. No sacks. There were a couple of times that Babin pushed him back towards the QB but Ryan seems to have a good feel for when the pressure is coming now and is sliding around. The protection by Martin was certainly good enough. The running game, I couldn't tell on just one watch thru but Reggie did rush for over 100 yards and I"m sure RT had more than 50 yards rushing as well.

5. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It looked like Martin went up against Jeremy Mincey quite a bit today and didn't have much trouble with him. Maybe a pressure or two that caused Tannehill to move up in the pocket, but that was it. Still needs work on his run-blocking, especially to the outside.

6. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    That was a weakness of his in college as well. Hopefully he can improve during the offseason.

Thanks for the input guys!!

7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Nate Garner did just fine today.

8. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Martin played well overall, especially for a rookie at LT. That said, I still think we should sign Long, and have too book-end tackles, w/ Martin being insurance for a long-term injury in the future to Long. This, of course, is presuming Long can be had for a decent contract now.

9. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    Garner played good for a second week in a row and Martin is no worse then the way Jake Long had been playing.( but for a far greater reduced pirce ) Kid is coming along.

10. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Yep, if anything Bush had made a better case for sticking in Miami than Big Jake.

Then again, Jax prush is awful, so I won't over value the performance of the OL

11. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    Have to agree but I am probably among the very few who think he did not do half bad against SF either. I like the kid. Will he ever be a Jake Long in Jakes prime ? Probably not but then again he is a good LT. The one really surprising me is Nate Garner. Playing decent at RT. He was horrible while filling in briefly at the guard postion but have to say, doing decent, good, OK at RT.

If Bush kept running on the long play instead of playing video Reggie and if he actually ran thru the HUGE hole created on the left side on another play he would have even more yards. All in all, I will take a W any day of the week. Going to the Buffalo game next week.

12. Jagfish

Jagfish Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    This Planet you call Earth

13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Hopefully he can work on it? The season is almost over and this hasn't happened hardly at all. What more will it take to call it done?

14. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I didnt see him whiff on any blocks, and he didnt commit any penalties. For a rookie playing LT, thats a win, IMO.