1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manly Honor in the South

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by padre31, Nov 26, 2012.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

http://artofmanliness.com/2012/11/26/manly-honor-part-v-honor-in-the-american-south/

Great article in AOM's "Manly Honor" series focusing on the South with stuff about dueling, who really owned slaves (75% did not own slaves, of those that did 75% owned ten or fewer) gambling, drinking, why sports are so big in the South

Good stuff, very well done

gafinfan likes this.
  2. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

You deserve a 1000 thanks for this post!

Great read and so very true.

A story from my youth comes to mind:

On a friday night at supper time in the fall we heard a hello from the front yard. A normal custome in those days .... one did not come up onto the porch until invited. My Uncle got up to see who it was at this hour, it happened to be a WWII vet down on his luck trying to get home.

He was invited in and given supper during which he told us his story ..... a marine fighting in the Pacific he was wounded and returned home. Upon finishing his meal my Uncle drove him down town (I was allowed to go also, a rare treat in those days for such a young boy) to the Greyhound Bus station, bought hom a ticket to where he wanted to go and handed him $50.00 pocket money.

Would it have happened elsewhere? I'm sure it would but the point to me was driven home by my Uncle to me that this is the way we treat people. Yet at that time $50.00 was a large sum considering at that time my Mothers pay was $100.00 a month before taxes and $25.00 of which went to my Uncle for room and board for she and I.

It was a great lesson learned and one I've tried to also live by.

padre31 likes this.
  3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It's a well done piece, they have a article about "manly after shaves" that you'll get a kick out of:

http://artofmanliness.com/2012/01/10/6-forgotten-drugstore-colognes-and-aftershaves/

Pinaud is strong strong stuff, so is Brut 33..can recall every teen kid having a bottle of that stuff or Polo..

gafinfan likes this.