1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laid Off

Discussion in 'Outreach Forum' started by SICK, Oct 24, 2012.

1. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I was just informed today my position is eliminated as of December 31st. I have the opportunity to find something else in the company, if I don't I get a severence and am told to walk, after 5 years with the bank.

Now, I don't know if I even want to transfer elsewhere.....the bank is closing branches throughout the area, laying good, long tenured people off, and making changes at the top that I don't neccesarily agree with.

I never wanted to work in banking. I have a trade school degree from connecticut school of broadcasting, but with a child on the way 5 years ago, I got into wachovia bank as a teller for steady income.....fast forward 5 years, and I am one of the regions leading Personal Bankers. My gift of gab, sales abilities, related skills and all around personality and work ethic moved me up quickly. I know I can take this opportunity to find something else, in another line of work. But I know banking, and know that'll be easier to get back into.

I have done enough networking where I know people at other banks, and a few other types of work. I am deeply sadened I may be without a job, but a part of me sees this as a great opportunity to branch out and find something new.

I have a young son at home, and I love the hours of banking, however, obviously that can be changed if I need to futher my career.

Anyways, I wanted to vent a bit, but I am very nervous about the changes ahead.

Anyone own a company need a go-getter with a fantastic personality, that will make you laugh all day at work? If so, I'll move! Not in love with North Carolina haha

PM for details! :wink:

2. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Sucks to hear that man. Well you know which bank to not go to unless you want to hate your job. A buddy of mine went to PNC and he enjoys it.

SICK likes this.
  3. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I have contacts at 5/3, BBT and 1st citizens. We'll see how it all goes. Thanks bro!

4. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Sorry to hear the bad news brother. Hopefully everything works out for the best. Wish I had something more to say or better news to help you but I dont lol. Keep us updated and keep your head up, stay confident, and remember that this isnt your fault.

SICK likes this.
  5. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Everything happens for a reason and I bet you come out of this just fine. Now we know why your boss couldn't laugh at the coffee joke he already knew it was a bad day.

SICK likes this.
  6. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    So update:

I found a position within the bank, I am now the teller manager in matthews. which we just moved 10 mins away. We are saving a ton of gas, I am less stressed, and things are great! Everything happens for a reason, you're right!!

7. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    See here I was hoping you were moving back to Florida. Glad everything is working out for you man.

8. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Might be in a year once my wife's license **** is taken care of.

9. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Good stuff dude. I actually accepted a bank position and start on Jan. 3rd. BANK BROS! *hi-five*

SICK likes this.
  10. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Congrats man... shame you still have to live in a state that stops selling liquor after 9PM.

11. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    No wonder we had to bail out the banks! They're hiring the likes of you 2 guys!

J/k

Eh not so much

:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stitches likes this.
  12. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Seriously I cant believe I am literally the only person in control of 180k+ in cash for an entire branch. Some people making decisions are high as a kite, or I am an amazing bull****ter.

ToddPhin likes this.
  13. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Glad you ended up getting that position bro. Good stuff.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  14. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Go sick! Go hkxxx

15. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    Sick,

Congrats on the new job within the bank and all that.

I stuck at a career that I was very good at, but was bad for my soul for all the financial/convenience/scared of letting go reasons until it broke me. My recommendation is to keep at this career while it is convenient to you, but if it is chipping away at your soul to make plans for an exit strategy now. It's all too easy to get caught in the process of getting through the day and meeting your immediate needs without an eye to how it will affect you in the future. My big mistake was thinking that when my old industry changed from results driven to process driven that I would still be a good fit for that industry.