1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii U price/release date announcement 9/13

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Desides, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    It's coming.

I'm not getting one at launch, but I'm definitely interested if the library develops.

2. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Eh- I was underwhelmed with the Wii. It definitely has some gems, but I found it to be a disappointment. I'll pick one of these up after a few price drops most likely. Excited to get the next gen underway though.

3. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I went to the Wii U experience where I got to play with the Wii U for 2.5 hours. I came away unimpressed.

4. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Not even expecting to get this after price drops.

5. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Wow, pessimism on a Dolphins forum! Unheard of. :shifty:

Anyway, Nintendo's event is going on right now. Japan already had their event, and that controller is wildly expensive. Granted, Japanese prices are always inflated relative to US prices (roughly double in most instances), but that doesn't bode well.

6. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Yea, it is a litte tough to compare the US price to Japanese. I do expect the controller to be pricey. It is a tablet after all, albeit a severely limited one (to my knowledge).

7. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Looks like $300 or $350 on Nov. 18th. A bit surprised Nintendo would have two SKUs right out the gate.

Also looks like the only games I'd be missing (so far) are Bayonetta 2 and Monster Hunter 3. Of course I can at leat get the latter for my 3DS.

Missing Bayonetta could suck, but at least I am not missing a Vanquish sequel (as of now).

8. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Wow, November 18 in the US. That's almost a full month before Japan.

I think the $350 bundle is a good bet. Charging cradles and a bundled game, albeit Nintendoland.

TVii is interesting.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  9. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Des. Is your body ready?

10. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Words cannot describe my dislike of Reggie.

Stitches likes this.
  11. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Alright- since the Wii U is coming out so soon, what are some must pick up titles for the Wii? I'll admit, I haven't been purchasing too many. I need the newest Zelda, obviously, but I am expecting there to be some price drops on games with the new console.

12. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Anything Mario, especially Galaxy 2, NSMB Wii, and the criminally unknown and ignored Super Paper Mario.

The Wii's version of Scarface was apparently actually good.

I'd say Okami, if not for the existence of Okami HD on other platforms.

Zelda: Twilight Princess, if you haven't played it already. It's basically a good version of Ocarina of Time. (No, I don't like OoT.)

Metroid Prime Trilogy and Other M.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  13. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Yeah the only games I own are Smash Bros, Mario Galaxy, Zelda TP, Wario Ware, and Kirby's Epic Yarn. All are fun, but I definitely need to get in on the other blockbusters.

14. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    So anyone got one lined up for tomorrow?

Edit: Thought I got one from wal-mart.com glitch for in-store pick up, but alas I did not. Oh well, no chance to flip it.

15. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    I'll chime in too about Wii games. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is not bad. I got about 5 worlds in before I stopped playing. Paper Mario seems cool, but I never played for more than 30 minutes or so at a time. I feel the same about Okami, but girls like it, so if you want to play with a girl this might be a good bet.

I had Scarface and the shooting system made me seasick. Much better on the original Xbox. Godfather, however, is a lot of fun on the Wii. The shooting feels less "seasickish" and the hand to hand / choking type interrogations are fun on the Wii. If somebody saw you, they might actually think you're crazy as you do the choking motion with the Wii controls.

Wii sports resort is a nobrainer (the three point contest game on that is my favorite). I'd also look into the karaoke games if you're planning on doing party type stuff. They're cross platform, but people always seem to love those.

16. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I'm in "wait and see" mode. Nintendo has earned back my goodwill now that they've released Xenoblade and The Last Story in the US, but there's still nothing on the console that would make me buy it. It also feels like more of the same rather than something new, at least with this initial game lineup.

I really miss the days when launch titles were good. Maybe the SNES spoiled me, with one of the best of all time (Super Mario World) and another (Super Mario All-Stars) coming with the console, and games like Actraiser and Soul Blazer available right away.

17. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Yeah... that SNES launch lineup. Wow. Absolutely incredible. This system looks cool but I am in no rush to purchase it.

18. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The NES and N64 weren't slouches either. The NES had Mario AND Duck Hunt on one cart, and the N64 had Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64 shortly thereafter.

I don't know when launch lineups started to decline, but this is something that really, truly used to be better about the gaming industry. I'm not just being a whiny old man when I say that.

19. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I don't think I would buy this for $50 if someone delivered it to my door with an ice cream Sunday. That controller looks like the worst thing to ever happen to gaming.

20. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Reviewers love it, if that means anything, though most of the launch games don't use it in any way that actually adds anything to the experience. The Verge loved how it worked with Ninja Gaiden 3.

21. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    They also love being able to play on the game pad freeing up the TV for other things. They say it's not HD (which it isn't), yet they say how great it looks (it's essentially the same resolution as the wii, which I thought was very off-putting). I personally have no interest in playing on a gimped tablet when my TV and sound system are right there. I also have 0 use for the universal remote aspect, because my Harmony remote is better.

22. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    I'm trying to figure out the point of the tablet and how it will add to your gaming experience. It doesn't seem natural to shift your focus between your tv and a tablet. I mean I guess it could be used to display inventories during games or have the menu persistently showing. I'm curious to see how its utilized.

23. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Wii U just got a $50 price cut, and a $300 bundle with Zelda: The Wind Waker HD will be available on September 20, 2 weeks before the game is available at retail.

And Nintendo just announced a $130 version of the 3DS without the 3D depth called the 2DS.

I'm actually thinking of getting that Zelda-bundled Wii U.

24. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    The 2DS is just ridiculous lol.

25. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    It's a little silly, but Nintendo needs SOMETHING to counteract the iPod Touch.

26. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I'd get it just for Mario, Zelda, and Smash brothers if it ever gets around $150. Probably at least a couple years away.

27. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Wow. This thread is barren. So, I take it no one will be playing Mario 3D World coop with me any time soon… :lol:

Nabbed a Wii U for Christmas, specifically the version bundled with Wind Waker HD. I'm going to have fun with strictly Nintendo games over the next year on this thing. After that I'll probably sell it.

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  28. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think the Wii U isn't a bad system. I actually think it's good. I just think they kinda shot themselves in the foot, as far game availability, marketing, and system release date goes.

Me personally, I'm probably going to get one eventually, for Smash Bros and other Nintendo games.

29. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    They went for the appliance/toy approach again like they did with the Wii. Problem is, the non-gamers who bought the Wii have moved on to the iPad, and Nintendo then "discovered" its weathered core fanbase. I love me some video games and grew up on Nintendo, but I play less and less of their products every year. It's not as compelling anymore.

They'll probably announce a new system in 2015, right in time for no one to care.

30. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    I picked up a Wii for the first party games last time around, but haven't been able to bring myself to getting a Wii U.

One game that could sway me is not the first party games, but instead, a Monster Hunter game. I played Monster Hunter 2 on PS2 and really enjoyed it, but then I picked up Monster Hunter Tri on Wii and boy did the rest of my life suffer. Those games are heavily addicting and extremely fun.

31. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The Mario 3D World, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart 8 announcements were enough for me to finally take the plunge. I'd like this to be my next-gen console but, sadly, it won't be. Just not enough support.

Well, in the meantime, there's always the PC. Go go Steam sales.

32. Silverphin

Nov 25, 2007
    I think it'll depend on what Nintendo does with the sales boost that those titles would bring them.

Me personally, I'd talk up a potential Star Fox game. Despite the fact that the series haven't had a (non-portable) console game in a long a minute, it is extremely popular.

Plus... and this idea may be a bit out there but.... since CoD: Ghosts is on the Wii U, I'd think about making some of the more grittier Nintendo characters (Fox McCloud, Samus Aran, and maybe Captain Falcon) DLC multiplayer characters, maybe even a DLC label based on a Nintendo level.

Just a thought....

33. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I don't think CoD players are interested in the Wii U, and I don't think they want a Nintendo themed anything. Nintendo also shouldn't need a tie-in with any third party game, that just doesn't make sense to me.

Nintendo needs a "wow" moment. Probably a combination of a new console and a Zelda game that puts Skyrim to shame—kind of like Zelda 1. :lol: It's ironic that the most popular game type now, the non-linear open world, is what we were originally playing on the NES (Metroid, Zelda). Get legitimate third party support even if you have to pay for it—imagine if a The Last of Us sequel came only to a Nintendo console—and just start with a clean slate.

34. Silverphin

Nov 25, 2007
    I know that they have the Bayonetta sequel exclusive to them, so there's that.

Edit: Plus, I like I said, it's an out there idea, the DLC thing.

35. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Naughty Dog isn't quite a 3rd party company, they are a subsidiary of Sony and have been for some time.

36. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You took my example too literally, I think.

Bayonetta isn't really a triple-A franchise. It's fairly obscure at best despite its quality.

37. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Welp, the eShop is back up so now I can set up my Wii U!

The setup isn't too great. I don't think it's as atrocious as it was at launch, but it's still an unending series of questions and menus. Not sure what a PS4/XB1 setup is like, but I don't recall my PS3 being this difficult to set up out of the box. You have to manually sync the controller with the console; I know for sure Sony and Microsoft make sure their controllers are synced out of the box, and even the Wiimote was synced out of the box with its console.

There's no way to cancel out of the NNID setup; you either set up as a new user or enter your NNID. Problem: if you don't have the latest software update, it won't let you enter your NNID, so you're forced to create a new user and then retroactively enter your NNID. That's a little silly and could have been solved simply by checking for a software update at the beginning of the process. Enter your network details, it checks for a software update, it downloads/installs the software update, restarts, and then you go through a streamlined setup. That would be the real way to go.

Additionally, I'm not a big fan of Nintendo's interface design. The text menus are great, perfectly suited for a 10 foot interface and very legible, but navigating between different apps/menus is awful. I thought having basically a tiny tablet for a controller would mitigate that, but so far, nope.

Anyway, 75 minutes after turning the Wii U on, it's time to download Wind Waker HD and try out Mario 3D World.

38. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Enjoy! I think I have done a 180 on the Wii U and plan on making this my first next gen console purchase. I just love the Mario games too much honestly. At the end of the day, I still sit here and play my N64 as often as my 360. I'll probably get one at the next price drop.

39. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    So, here's an interesting piece of potential news. I say potential because the ultimate source is VGChartz.

[​IMG]

40. Silverphin

Nov 25, 2007
    I hope for Nintendo's sake that the numbers are accurate. Granted, wasn't/isn't the X-Box consoles unpopular in Japan, though?