1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ryan Tannehill's tipped passes

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Paul 13, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    So this has been bothering me since that 2nd quarter meltdown. And I agree with the below quote from Philbin. It's not all on Ryan Tannehill. And anyone drawing a conclusion that he had issues with it in college and therefore he is the reason it's a problem now are, in my opinion, jumping the gun.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...miami-dolphins-0910-20120909,0,2237237.column

This is also a nice quote from Keith Sims... a guy who played offensive line for us for quite a few years:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...hins-loss-to-houston-20120909,0,2952794.story

So, yes, part of it is on Tannehill. He's a rookie... he's young... he's being told to get the ball out quickly. As the season goes on, this will change. He'll get more and more comfortable with the offense. The game will slow down for him and he won't have to take his first read and make the quick pass. Also, the offensive line will progressively get better and better at protecting for Ryan and reading these quick passes. Because it is a virtual certainty that every opponent this year will be doing the same thing, jumping quick passes. And as Keith Sims says, it's something that you can learn to work in your favor as you pass protect.

Hell, dare I say it but our offensive play calls could be adjusted to take advantage of it as well... a pump fake? A play action pass? A bootleg? Because make no mistake, this Dolphin team will be much more competitive the rest of the year. Five minutes of turnover fest against a top 10 NFL team does not a season make. We can run the ball, as evidenced today, against a pretty good run defense. We can also stop the run... against one of the best rushing teams in the league. As long as you can do that week in and week out, you've got a shot in this league. But you've got to cut down on the turnovers and dare I say, cause a few of your own?

dolfan7171, Beelzebob, sws84 and 13 others like this.
  2. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Nice post. It definitely doesn't all fall on Ryan's shoulders. It was his first game against a good team. Honestly, in the end, it may be a good learning experience for the kid. It would have been nice if Sherman had called some plays to get Tanny out in space, maybe change it up a bit. I'll only be concerned if this happens throughout the season, obviously.

Paul 13 likes this.
  3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Rational. Honest. Level-headed. Accurate.

Where am I?

dolfan7171, Larryfinfan, evz and 12 others like this.
  4. bojack72

bojack72 Junior Member Club Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Great post! This is the same reason I wasn't upset after the game. Exclude those last 5 minutes of the 1st half, and Miami competed the whole game. The run D surprised me, the running game looked good, and I really think they can fix the tipped passes.

Mexphin and Paul 13 like this.
  5. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Agree with everything you said here. You know the Raiders are going to try and swat it down next week, so we could maybe get over the top of them with a quick 3 step, pump, and then bomb it to hartline. The defense will be looking for Tannehills short stuff based on film.

It's really unfortunate this game escalated in their favor so quickly because I assure you texans fans were ****ting bricks up until the final five minutes of the 2nd qtr. We were holding our own...

Paul 13 and Trowa like this.
  6. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Thanks... you know what's great? Compare this game, from a team effort / preparedness standpoint to game 1 last season vs the Patriots. Sure, the lockout didn't help last year, but we weren't the only team locked out. Defense could have easily folded at half time and let them score at will in the second half. Instead, the Texans managed six points even though time of possession was heavily in their favor. And talk about a breath of fresh air... our screen game, BOTH offensive and defensive... wow!! Much Much Much improved.

Raiders next week... I honestly think we can win that one. Not just being a Dolphin homer this time :lol:

Trowa likes this.
  7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    It just seems to me if not for 2 minutes of a 60 minute game, we'd have 10-9 score.

I find it hard to believe we can't fix two minutes.

Trowa and Paul 13 like this.
  8. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    I disagree the tip passes are Tannehills fault, who else is throwing the ball? I remember watching a pre show and they predicted Tannehill will have allot of tipped passes and picks because he stares down his receivers.

9. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Thanks for the post . Part of why I miss listening to radio coverage is the comments by Keith Sims, that is what I also said during the game in chat and in the game thread. Sure 17 needs to get it better , but I was taught that and it needs to be addressed by the oline in that fashion .

Paul 13 likes this.
  10. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Even if it is ALL Ryan's fault, you seem to think it's not correctable and this will be a recurring theme the rest of the season?

11. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Why shouldn't we feel we can win that one? The Raiders aren't an elite team , they play Monday night , have to travel east , from the west coast to the east coast and that is historically a tough go. Plus the Dolphins have played the Raiders well and won , we should win this game imo and not have it be considered a coup by any ,means.

Trowa and Paul 13 like this.
  12. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I'm not saying we would have won, probably would have lost but in a much closer game, but those last few minutes of the 2nd quarter was one of the biggest flukes I've ever seen.

That's not taking anything away from the Texans either. They are quite the team. Top 5 IMO, and to their credit their defense made the plays, but still one hell of a fluke.

I'm not really concerned about the tipped passes. They're a young team and they'll get it right for next week.

jsizzle and Paul 13 like this.
  13. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Great thread! I haven't had a chance to get in this forum but i was thinking about making the same kind of thread. The thing that bothers me a little is the coaches should have already addressed this problem because i saw it in Pre-Season. Hopefully the coaching staff will address it with the O-line and some slight changes Tannehill can make. But for the most part, i was very proud of our team, minus the 5 minutes of Hell. I believe we will surprise a lot of people because our schedule will be some what easy for the rest of the season.
    The only other concern i have is giving up big plays to the opposing teams Tight-End. That seems to be an unsolved problem from several years.

Paul 13 likes this.
  14. Clifford

Clifford New Member

Mar 18, 2012
    It is a team effort. The tip balls were no surprise to management. Coach Sherman and Philbin knows his passes get tipped a lot especially in a 3 step drop situation. Why are the coaches calling these plays. For a guy who is supposedly accurate on the run miami rarely bootlegged or used play action during the game. Lastly the quarterback coach should be working with Ryan on not staring down his receivers.

The offensive line knows he has this problem. Help a teammate out, its a team game. Create passing lanes

Lastly I agree it is ultimately Ryan's fault for throwing the pass.

15. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Seems like a coaching issue with the OL.

16. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    One thing is certain after watching Hard Knocks, Philbin pays close attention to every detail. This will be fixed.

Paul 13 and dolfan7171 like this.
  17. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Thats inaccurate, and sadly not the reality. The reality is 30-10. The reality is Kubiak went ultra conservative and called off the dogs in the 2nd half.

We played decent ball for 25 minutes. But for gods sake when will everyone stop apologizing. We have such a thin/feeble roster. We have WRs who aren't good enough to catch tough balls consistently, and a rookie qb who isn't going to deliver them accurately all the time. All while Marshall tears it up and Chicago. We need a guy who can make plays for RT. We fields 52 freaking guys today. Its a joke, and shows you how weak our personnel is.

And the RT bashing should stop, and I don't even know if its that bad. You can't blame a rookie QB for anything at this point. But that qb coach needs to work double time to fix the parts that RT can fix. Rookie QBs need to be nurtured. We're on pace to ruin this kids career.

Francis enough with the, "if not for". I got news for you. It's Pro Football. It's competitive. Its the "if not fors" that wins teams superbowls, and see's them lose...week after week.

And 10-9? We gonna score on special teams every week? Cause we just went 1 week without an offensive TD.

We lost 30-10. And the fist pumper is makin chicken salad for the jests. 48 big ones. Whens the last time we posted that many points?

ChrisKo, schmolioot and texanphinatic like this.
  18. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I root for you to be right. But this has been an issue in every. single. preseason game. This is not a new problem.

19. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    lol.

They scored 3 TDs inside of 2 minutes off of turnovers. That's fact. It doesn't sugar coat anything. We played them competitively for 58 minutes and had a comedy of errors and bad play for 2 minutes. I don't see that has end of the world yet. You do.

Sure Kubiak went conservative because of the score...but we abandoned our game plan and became aggressive...what's your point?

20. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    that'll be the day.

21. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    You're right. I mentioned that in my first post in this thread. it concerns me a little. But I have faith in Philbin.

22. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    30-10 is fact, anything else is absolutely sugar coating it.

23. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Puhleaze. We could win the SB 70-0 and you'd still be cutting yourself while masturbating to a picture of Ireland where you colored in his teeth and gave him an eye patch & scar, screaming, "I HATE YOU!" and no one is sure if you're saying it about Ireland or yourself.

jsizzle likes this.
  24. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Stating what happened is sugar coating?

25. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    (I posted this in another thread, but might as well post it here):

Tannehill has an issue with keeping the ball at around shoulder level when he throws. If he has an open passing lane, there is not really an issue with this throwing motion (except for balls floating on him), but unfortunately, passing lanes are not always there.

Using a clock for reference, Tannehill began his throws from about the 9 o'clock position on just about EVERY throw I saw from him today. Now, on deeper throws, this is probably a more appropriate motion. Think about a mangonel catapult. Some of you might have seen them on those pumpkin toss contests on the Discovery channel (the mangonel is the one with the arm and bucket, not the sling and pouch, which is the trebuchet).

The problem with this motion, especially on shorter-to-intermediate passes, is that the ball moves to the horizontal (which most thrown balls will do, but more so in his case), resulting in some passes being thrown high (or float) on these shorter throws (think the throw to Charles Clay that was inadvertently caught by Fasano). It is also an inefficient motion from a physics standpoint, because it takes quite a bit of stored energy to make that motion. This motion does not really transfer to the projectile efficiently. So in essence, he has to use more energy to put a certain amount of velocity on the ball. And this is just an observation, but he had his arm iced up pretty good in one of the preseason games. Does not necessarily mean much, but he may be working harder than he should with this motion.

Forget the fact that defensive lineman can bat down the balls at the LOS, Tannehill had these issues at Texas A&M (just look at the footage). Against Carolina, he had 4 batted passes at the LOS. This is nothing new.

A more appropriate throwing motion with these tall lineman would be from about the level of the top of the head or higher. The best in the business is Peyton Manning.

Unfortunately, I am not sure that this is something that Tannehill can change so quickly. This is HIS natural throwing motion, and something he has probably done for a very long time. It could stem from a number of things as to why he uses this particular motion, but having smaller hands could be one of the natural reasons for not using a higher launch point. Controlling the ball from a higher launch point is much easier with larger hands. I cannot imagine that he has gone through high school and college without ONE coach pointing this out to him.

And going back to the throwing motion and not being able to change it with any real effectiveness. Tim Tebow worked an entire offseason and deliberately tried to switch it without much success. I am not so sure that we will see much change in the motion. Philbin mentioned that the lineman need to do a better job at keeping their hands on the D-lineman they are against. Maybe this point has been made during practices to even the playing field in light of Tannehill's throwing motion? Just speculation with this, though.

This is but one game, and while disappointed, he can improve. Let's see how the kid handles this.....

Paul 13 and Bpk like this.
  26. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Much easier said than done.....

Bpk likes this.
  27. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    if it isnt for those 2 minutes of the game, we still probably lose but it would have been much closer against the team that alot of people are picking for the superbowl in their building, with their crowd, with the dolphins starting a rookie qb in his first ever NFL action. i think we have a legit shot against oakland this week IMO

28. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    The QB coach bothers me. He seems real inexperienced and shaky. Its his burden too. But after 5 weeks....im losing faith.

29. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    100% wrong. I was there rooting and clapping and cheering for those first 25 minutes. Winning heals everything. Guess why I'm pissed? Because we stunk. Our offense stunk. And we got creamed. Im damn Miami Dolphins fan. My expectations are not to go and get pummeled by 3 scores. That is not alright with me, ever. To be impotent offensively due to a lack of talent, and thin and lacking defensively is not alright by me. Its okay for you apparently. I am tired of looking at the same faces deliver a losing product. I am tired of seeing the same people blow the big deals that instead of us, now have Teams like Denver and San Fran, now looking like contenders. Hell, even ST.Louis looks tough, and played hard!

Dolphins, 30-10 ***-wipin. No TDs on offense. Business as ushh(yoush)

edit: and its not alright for a GM to be rebuilding after he has been here for 5 years!!!

30. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Well, 2 TDs came on returns, so Fisty was only contributing to 34 of the points, just to be fair.

Paul 13 likes this.
  31. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Part of that firing out into the DL, is the OL using his hand punch. I suggested that a few weeks ago, and the expert known as mommabilly said I was full of sh!t. What do you say now mommabilly? :sad:

Paul 13 and Bpk like this.
  32. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    After five weeks.

33. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    He's referring to Pre-season and this week. Some of us saw this problem in Pre-season and think the problem should have been fixed by now. I say give the coaches a little more time before getting too concerned.

shouright likes this.
  34. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    I say give 'em a lot more.

35. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    My ***. The score is exactly what you and the others have been preaching, so don't tell me now your expectations were any different.

Simple fact of the matter is we played a great team pretty well for 58 minutes. We sucked hard for 2 minutes. That is fixable.

He's been here for 5, had control for 2. Its like blaming an assistant manager for the sins of the manager. His draft last year is not looking good though and I've been saying that.

36. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I think that's just it...it wasn't totally Tanny's fault. OL and RBs share in that responsibility...From what I saw (only watched the game live, not on tape), Tanny was holding his own and even tho you can say he was staring down some receivers, on those quick, 3 step passes, a QB...any QB would be staring down the receiver on that style of pass.

I think this is all coachable. The OL/RBs need to work on their technique (see the Keith Sims quote) and perhaps some pump fakes from Tanny (although that would defeat the purpose of the quick, 3-step pass) and that can be controlled...

As to staring down the intended receiver, that will come with more experience by Tanny...but this game is not all Tanny's fault

37. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Seth, I love your posting, but you're getting to be old news...everything bad that happens is directly Irish's responsibility?? Give it a rest... None of us are happy that we lost, but topic of conversation is the 24 of the 30 points the Texans scored related to passing being tipped.... I'd say that defensively, while it wasn't perfect, they held their own until the barrage of freebie scores they got...

Paul 13 likes this.
  38. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Dave Hyde's take:
    Link

ascii likes this.
  39. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    It doesn't change what is in the win or loss column but dismissing any shade of gray is absurd. There's a lot of stuff that bares consideration.

40. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't know why they wouldn't consider cut blocking the playside rusher to clear a passing lane. I don't think this is entirely an OL issue either; a lot of it is on Tannehill.

Paul 13 likes this.