1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I really screwed up (job)

Discussion in 'Outreach Forum' started by Alex44, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Basically I got really drunk last night with a friend, and slept through my 4 AM shift today and crashed before I could call out. Knowing the consequences I tried to lie and say I went to the hospital yesterday. The only thing that bought me was "Well if you can prove it, we won't fire you". So needless to say I'm really screwed. I'll even admit that I'm crying. Basically the only half decent thing I had going in my life is going to be gone tomorrow when I go in. I know it's just a job, but I really don't have a damn thing else at all. Compounded on top of other problems, I'm wondering if it's even worth being alive at all. Worst is knowing my own bad decision is what screwed me.

I don't know exactly why I posted, advice, support, whatever. I just had to put it down in writing I guess....

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Sorry to hear that Brother.

Don't get to locked into a job being your life, but do you have a family Dr?

Alex44 likes this.
  3. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I wish. I barely even have a family let alone a regular doctor. It was actually my first thought, but then I realized "Yeah, I don't have that"

4. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Is this the first time this has happened?

Generally, my advice would be to just be honest with your employer. Tell them why it happened and how you will make sure it will not happen again.

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, if you are interested in keeping the job, you can enroll in a rehab clinic and let them know that you did so.

6. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Sadly it's kind of a one strike deal, I've seen people get canned before for the same reason. Beg/Plead everything. Corporations just don't care about people =/

Haha Padre...that's a cool idea but wouldn't that require actually going to rehab? That would totally suck considering I don't even drink except like once every few months.

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Read your comapnies' policies on it first, but yeah, it could work.

Inc's hold all the cards nowadays, you have to learn how their system works to find a way to do this..and do so in a hurry.

8. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Guessing no-one on the site is a doctor who wants to help me out.....lol

9. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    I know right now it's hard to believe what I'm going to tell you, but five years from now this predicament you're in will be long forgotten by you and when you do recall it you will probably laugh about it more than being down about it, so no reason to do the unthinkable. I've been there so I know.

10. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I know...I really hate the job in all honesty. It's just the fact that it's my only income, only way I eat, only everything at the moment. If I do get canned maybe I can get unemployment while I search...

It's just a really crappy situation.

11. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    File for unemployment, and take a breathe Alex.....

don't do anything you, your friends, family or anybody else who cares for you will have to deal with that is preventable....

I cant stress how much you need to take a minute and pause, and NOT act right now.....just chill baby-bubba...

SICK, 305, Mainge and 2 others like this.
  12. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You're young. This happens. Learn from it.

Ohio Fanatic, finyank13 and Boik14 like this.
  13. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Shouright is a shrink. He might be good to ask since im sure he deals with young people doing irresponsible stuff everyday.

Really though you just messed up. Youre still young and you will see people do stupid things all the time. Just learn from it. If you need to talk just pm or aim.

14. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    There are many, MANY worse ways you could've screwed up. :yes:

15. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Not sure of florida law on unemployment but in Ny its 6 months at the job.

16. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Head to the ladies lounge alex. You're welcome in advance.

17. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    That may be the best post you've ever made. Sound advice. That should make him feel better in more ways then one.

18. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    So what exactly is preventing you from going to the hospital and claim that you have violent headaches and get them to write you a note that you were there?

SICK and Boik14 like this.
  19. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Or that you have back or neck pain?

20. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    A similar thing happened to me in July. I was out drinking the night before but I made it in. They said they could smell it on me and sent me for a drug screen.
    Yep I was railroaded into a drug test. The test came back positive and I was fired. I applied for unemployment and won on the grounds that I was drinking the night before.
    They believed me. I was miserable at that job anyway. Since I have been gone the stress has been lifted in my life.
    You have to pick yourself up off the floor and move on bro. I initially had the same thoughts you do but decided it wasn't worth it at all.
    Your life and happiness is way more important than any job.
    There will be another job man.

21. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    What are the consequences of not showing up at all and telling them you just drastically overslept?

22. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Any updates for us, man? Hope you're doing alright.

23. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Fin D is like 75 years old so he understands life more and his advice is spot on, Alex.

You made a bad mistake. We ALL make them. You'll make many more too. As Ronnie said, you'll look back and laugh at this in a few years.

Life is about learning. You will learn from this and you be better for it. Your mistakes are what make you a better person.

And more importantly, if you are SERIOUSLY considering ending your life, get help. And get it now. If there's anything I can do please ask. I'd be happy to help.

24. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    The only thing you need help with is dealing with it emotionally. You are punishing yourself for the consequences of two irresponsible acts. One of them involves dishonesty, compounds the problem, and reflects negatively on your character. Yes, that hurts. No one likes to look in the mirror and see that, apart from losing the job as a result. But it's over and you have the rest of your long life to make up for it. You are neither a drunk nor a liar. You're one of the good guys. You know that. There is a lot of steady good you can do for an organization if you're just a bit more careful.

You did something without thinking it through because you were scared. I'm 61 years old, and if I had a dime for every time I did that when I was young, I'd have a new car. It's called growing up. We don't stop growing up until we die. If your employer rejects you now, it isn't personal; it's acting logically. Accept the consequences, and understand that if there was such a lack of room for this kind of error that you had to lie, the organization really didn't care that much about you. If missing the shift could have been overcome and it was the lie that got you fired, then you learned a hugely valuable lesson in being dependable that has already turned you into a better person. You may not think so right now, but it has -- what you have done by posting here is what the Catholics call going to confession. It's a time-proven fix; the first step in dealing with a mistake -- admitting it to yourself and the outside world. The next step is obtaining forgiveness. Whether your employer forgives you or not isn't important in the long run, which is how you have to look at this. Forgive yourself. That is critically important.

First, admit you screwed up. Second, forgive yourself. You are not unique, and you have a lot of responsible actions and good works ahead of you. Third, learn from the consequences of your behavior never to repeat it. That is how all human beings learn. Fourth, execute the rest of your life. Start your job search. While you're looking, make yourself useful and volunteer. Your self-concept will repair itself and you will regain your confidence. After that, you're capable of one heck of a lot, part of which is getting a job you're really happy doing, so that you do it well. That will make you a very valuable employee and insulate you from ever being fired again.

Now go out there and play like a champion, brother.

Mainge likes this.
  25. USArmyFinFan

USArmyFinFan Maximum Effort

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    well depending on where you live I maybe able to help you get a fresh start with a new job. PM me if you would like details

Jimmy James likes this.
  26. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Ron Swanson

Dec 11, 2007
    So, how'd it work out, man?

27. Arodgers12

Arodgers12 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Hope your doing well now Alex. Your a great guy. I don't like my job right now to be honest.

28. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    It sucks man. We've all been young and made mistakes. I'm a big believer in always being honest. I know that you said that your job has a 1 and out policy, but as someone who was a manager and depended on people to be there with me for early shifts for more than a decade, I can tell you that I respected someone a whole lot more if they were honest about the one time they weren't there and promised that it wouldn't happen again.

My personal worst was before I was in management, I once stayed out until 2am drinking before an 8am shift the next morning. I thought I was hung over the next morning, but after I got to work and started my job, I realized that I was actually probably still actually drunk. Thankfully no one noticed and life went on.

29. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

This is a two year bump. Alex you are still around aren't you? Could you fill us in on how things have gone?

30. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    where the hell is alex..he hasnt been around in a long time...

31. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    We all hope he's doing well and we hear from him soon. He's one of our brothers. We have his back.

32. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Looks like he last posted back in April. Hope that he's ok too.