1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jonathan Martin

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by UCF FINatic, Aug 18, 2012.

1. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Watching him last night was very hard. He couldn't block the outside moves, the inside moves, the power moves, or the speed moves. He had hard times with the short drops and the deep drops. For a while I thought he was just having a problem with Charles Johnson (who is decent), but then they put in their second string 4th round pick and he was still manhandling Martin. I have no doubt he is called out on the next day of practice. This could be a long season, as he resembled Colombo last night.

2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Not ready to bury him yet. He's a rookie and I kind of expect some growing pains. Hopefully he looks better next week.

3. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    I think you have to ask yourself at this point whether there was enough accurate evaluation done of whether Martin would be able to make the move from left side to right side, before he was drafted.

bran, dolfan32323 and Rick 1966 like this.
  4. Hiruma78

Hiruma78 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I think that at some point he lost lucidity, he seemed confused, probably flustered for his many mistakes, because I can't believe he is that bad (losing his man on stunt, falling on his ***, overpowered, false start) and I don't think all of his problem can be related to the swicht left-right [but maybe I'm wrong]

CWBIII and MrClean like this.
  5. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    We should have used that pick on a WR.

Moves likes this.
  6. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I think it was a combination of those things. He was clearly overmatched going without help against Johnson. After that it looked like he was flustered mentally.

jegol71, Fin D, Stitches and 3 others like this.
  7. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Regular season you have to figure they give him some help if a game starts like that. Only reason that they wouldn't, that I can think of, is that they wanted to see were he was at and how he'd respond.

unluckyluciano and GMJohnson like this.
  8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Keep in mind folks the old school "Left Tackle is soo important b/c they face the other team's best pass rusher" stuff now is nonsense, JMart was going up against a all pro caliber De and got his azz whipped but good..

I am getting a bit concerned about his play though, back to back games he clearly has struggled in to the point we maybe should look at other options at RT or our Qb will get killed, what peeved about last yr is Sparano's refusal to pull Colombo I hope Philbin is not making the same error.

9. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

possibly bench him to get the point across?

10. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't really know what the long term prognosis for Martin is, but they need to alter the situation because he's having too much of a disruptive effect on the rest of the offense, and he's getting 75%+ of the snaps at the position so whomever would replace him really needs reps.

dolfan32323 and Eop05 like this.
  11. Hiruma78

Hiruma78 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

the problem is the Murtha didn't exactly shine during his play-time :no:

12. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    You cannot look at Martin's struggles and say that it's only preseason.

The guy is getting clobbered out there against whoever he lines up against. It's holding the entire offense back as most have stated.. And to believe that in 2.5 weeks time he'll have cleaned most of it up is unrealistic.

I think it's time to get Murtha, Jerry, or Garner 1st team snaps and let Martin develop in practice with the 2s and 3s.

Who would've ever thought: Tannehill, the guy most thought would need time, looks more ready than Martin, the guy most thought would come in and be an immediate upgrade.

13. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    How does that lessen a LT's importance? Ryan was able to see martins guy come basically free and get rid of the ball several times. Blindside and those are sacks with a good chance of a fumble. Thats why you want your best pass rusher to come on that side. Jake being able to take his guy solo also lets you give martin help.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

MrClean likes this.
  14. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    He looks like a freshman inserted into practice with the varsity. He's not ready.

15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Depends, we really do not know what the line calls were etc, but at this point it is becoming clear he is not ready to play.

Ireland cannot draft an OL to save his life, he either overpays for them, ie, Jake and Pouncey, or they suck.

16. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Give JJ a try at RT. He did a decent enough job at LT last season in place of Long.
    Just spit ballin.

MrClean likes this.
  17. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Can you imagine if this guy is our starting RT when we face JJ Watt and a Wade Phillips defense!!!????

Ugliness, pure ugliness.

18. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Mario Williams....

19. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

I think Mark Anderson will line up on JM not Mario, dont know for sure wich side they lineup on or even if they are stationary. Either way Charles Johnson is good and all but he will face tougher schemes and players so he needs to get better or GTFO.

Phinatic19 and Eop05 like this.
  20. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    IIRC, Mario lines up over the RT. Wasn't he the one that caused the INT by getting to Henne's arm after schooling Colombo last year?

But you're right. Either he gets better, or he may not make it past 2013 training camp.

21. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    That was in Houston, he is now in Buffalo under you know who.

Eop05 likes this.
  22. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Have they indicated they were moving him over? Hes lined up over RT his entire career beyond high school. I doubt they change that.

23. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    In Wades 3-4 he was lined up on the LT...but i really have no knowledge of Wanny's plans for him. Could be he is moved around to exploit bad matchups, if do je will face Martin and another guy.

24. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
  25. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Christ, this means Fasano is going to be used to help out the RT 90% of the time again.
    And Fasano is arguably our best pass catcher.

26. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

No he isn't.

27. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Actually, yes. he is one of the best, if not "the" and with the pathetic lineup we currently have he is one of our only weapons/threats. It's why he said arguably.

28. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I agree with that. He had the balance and body control last night of a drunk guy with Vertigo. I know he's better than that.
    His head is spinning about now. He was basically handed a starting job, gift wrapped on a silver platter, and it is apparent IMO that he is not ready. Time to relegate him to backup status for a while, until the game slows down enough for him that he doesn't move like a one legged cat trying to bury sh*t on a frozen pond.

Hiruma78 and ToddPhin like this.
  29. MrClean

You're right. Fasano is on a par with Bess and Bush for being our best receiving threat at their respective positions.

30. MrClean

Johnson hasn't even been to a Pro Bowl yet has he? So, is he really even All Pro caliber or just pretty good? Last year when we played them, Colombo didn't get abused close to that badly by Johnson.

31. MrClean

That's a pretty accurate analogy right there.

32. MrClean

Baby J got in the doghouse right off the bat by showing up so overweight, but when he's been in the games, he hasn't done that bad. I agree, even he'd be a better choice right now. Murtha, Garner, Cook, or move Hicks outside, would all be better than what Martin is showing us now.
    I'd say even moving Pouncey to RT and starting Samuda at C would be an improvement.

33. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Do people now understand why we drafted a RT in the 2nd round rather than a WR?

34. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I thought he did 2 yrs ago?

Way I see it, JMart should compete for the job this week with Murtha/JJ/Garner

That probably won't happen, suspect they will bite the bullet and keep him out there, once again this is a choice they are making that will mean less wins early in the yr imo.

35. MrClean

Right position but wrong player? I've heard the Ohio St kid is struggling a bit in Pittsburgh too, so what other option at RT did we pass up on when we took Martin? At the time, I was glad the Bills took Cordy Glenn and left Martin for us, but I'll sadly admit that may have been misplaced optimism.

36. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Being a high draft pick, I think there is only one answer to this Martin situation....

...we try him out at safety.

:shifty:

37. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    First of all, I want to thank you for using a Eyeshield 21 reference as a username. True story.

Second all, we'll see. I didn't see the last pre-season game. Was he that bad then?

Hiruma78 likes this.
  38. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    1) after trading away Marshall and replacing him with wack *** Naanee, WR was just as big if not a bigger need than RT.

2) Jonathan Martin is not a right tackle.

3) here's the difference between these two needs. there is at least one guy on the roster who can step in at RT and hold down the spot. remember Murtha was hurt all of last season which is why we had to bring in Columbo to begin with. on the flip side, there is no WR on this team that can provide what we need. none of these guys are going to magically flourish into the type of playmaker Tannehill needs.

4) going into the draft, our group of OL were not as bad as our group of WRs.

39. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I heart you.

unluckyluciano and MrClean like this.
  40. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Martin SUCKS....no no he SUCKS!

Put in John Jerry until he gets his sh*t together so he doesnt embarrass himself anymore.

MrClean likes this.