1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barry Jackson: Nuggets on Dolphins QB Race

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ckparrothead, Jul 8, 2012.

1. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    A lot of good nuggets in here:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...d-the-scenes-on-heat-free-agency-marlins.html

I'll paraphrase so as not to run into issues sharing an entire article.

1. Ryan Tannehill is clearly behind Matt Moore and David Garrard. Even Reggie Bush (who had the quote on an NFL Network segment that suggested he thought Ryan Tannehill would win the job) has admitted that it looks like the plan is to have Moore and Garrard duke it out while Tannehill sits and waits his turn.

2. (My own notes, not Barry Jackson's) The coaching staff just hasn't given Tannehill the first string snaps to give anyone the impression he's a serious contender. Philbin said before any of these OTAs that he's more concerned about numbers of snaps and not overly concerned about 1st unit, 2nd unit, etc. As I recall, the third day of Mini Camp when Tannehill started with the 1's, that was literally the first time that had happened, as per Tannehill himself as well as others connected with the team.

3. Ryan Tannehill was so upset about the lack of reps with the 1's he went to the coaches about it in mid-June. They said they're going to start slowly ramping up his reps with the 1st string. The third day of Mini Camp would have probably come after that conversation, based on the timeline.

4. Most people acknowledge that David Garrard has looked better than Matt Moore on the whole. That includes players, people connected with the team, local media members, national ones like Adam Schefter, and even Drew Rosenhaus. Everyone acknowledges it's way too early to call this one though because training camp is what matters.

5. "Philbin speaks well of Moore, but his praise of Garrard has been more extensive and effusive the past three months."

6. Tannehill's issues have been well publicized by now. Strong arm which teammates rave about, but holds the ball and is having trouble with the speed of the game. Didn't take many sacks at TAMU but has taken a lot of would-be sacks in Dolphins camp. Throws the ball too early or late which is leading to interceptions or drops.

7. Not many around the NFL shared my opinion that Garrard would win the starting job. Rich Gannon, Ron Jaworski, several NFL head coaches and people from the Jaguars all thought for sure Moore would be the guy. People with the Jaguars thought David got "fat and happy" after he got his contract in 2008. But the Dolphins have been impressed with his professionalism and performance.

8. Several statistics from Garrard in 2010 make him stand out above Moore in 2011: significantly higher completion percentage, way higher 4th quarter passer rating, significantly higher deep ball accuracy when factoring in P.I. flags.

9. FINALLY someone acknowledges Matt Moore's penchant for fumbling. The Dolphins are, evidently, worried about it.

10. Garrard's back hasn't caused any problems...YET. Real test will be training camp and preseason.

2. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    The battle between Moore and Garrard needs to be decided sooner rather than later. Tannehill needs the losers reps.

HULKFish and DrAstroZoom like this.
  3. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Like I said in another thread....if you have 2 starting QB's, you don't have 1.
    And I think that's the path we're heading down this season. Two QB's (3 if you include Tannehill) who just aren't very good. Couple that with the lack of WR talent and I'm beginning to picture another long season.
    And I'm not talking 7-9 or 6-10 long.

4. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That's one way to view it but Garrard's back is so uncertain at this point that I don't think that's possible. The Dolphins are stuck in a bit of a quandary that way. The best guy for the job is probably Garrard, if he's healthy. But we have no way to gauge his chances of staying healthy. Nor do the Dolphins.

But I think since Ryan Tannehill stepped up and asked them for more 1st string reps, the coaches will grant his wish. I tend to doubt Phil Simms' statements about splitting reps between three guys. The Dolphins have more reps than other teams, I think. They're running their practices at a breakneck pace, reportedly the equivalent of snapping a ball with 30+ seconds left on the clock during games. The goal of that is increased reps. I think there are enough reps to go around to still have Tannehill getting his 1st string reps, while seeing whether Moore or Garrard is going to win the battle.

5. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I think the bolded points are the two interesting ones. I think it is interesting that Tannehill went to the coaches to talk about his lack of rep time with the 1st stringers. To me that indicates that he wants to succeed, he isn't content with sitting back and watching Moore and Garrard battling it out. So it seems like he has good drive, but on the other hand it makes him seem kind of whiny. That being said, from every interview of him that I have seen I picture the conversation going like this, "Coach, I would really like to be given a shot with the first team. I want to prove myself to you..." instead of "Coach, it's not fair! I want to get first team reps and you aren't giving them to me (sad face and tears)." I think as a rookie it is a fine line between sitting back and doing what the coaches tell you to do and pushing/asking for more. It seems like he did it with good intentions though as Tannehill is a team player and doesn't really seem like a whiny guy at all.

The second bold point is also interesting to me. It tells me that his arm and pure ability are what we thought it was prior to the draft (and sort of justifies us taking him so early). As far as timing and decision making and timing that is usually a big problem for rookie QBs and usually takes some time for them to adjust to the NFL speed. That doesn't necessarily worry me just yet, in fact that could have been expected with Tannehill considering how little time started in college. Hopefully he gets better and better as in regards to this as training camp continues. Again, I wouldn't worry about the "would be sacks" because I think I read something earlier that said Philban wanted him to take his time and make the correct reads rather than making wrong decisions faster. This seems like a good way to build a rookie QB. You let them take their time and make the correct decisions over and over then once they feel comfortable with their decision making you just work on having them speed up their decision making and how quickly they get the ball out.

I like Philban's take that reps in general are more important than reps with specific units (ie: 1st string, 2nd string).

dolfan32323 likes this.
  6. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Philbin's warning about reps being reps and he doesn't care about 1st/2nd/3rd string too much struck me as trying to preempt conversations that he knew everyone would be happening. The 1st team reps matter. Right now the team is under the mpression Ryan Tannehill is already out of it. That's not a good thing unless he really is. If he suddenly gets elevated the players all think it's because he's the #8 overall, not because he earned it. If you say you're having a three way competition then you should split 1st, 2nd and 3rd string reps three ways.

Tannehill going to the coaches and complaining is what it is. It shows confidence but it also shows impatience. Some players, depending on what they think Ryan has shown in practice, may even see it as a sense of entitlement in that if he's clearly performing third then it's only fitting the top two get more 1st team reps. It's not just one thing, there isn't just one way to read it, IMO.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  7. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I'm concerned Tannehill hasn't shown more in the mental command of the game so far. Out of curiosity I went back and read some rookie training camp reports from Aaron Roger's 2005 rookie camp, since I think that would be our best-case scenario dream, that Tanny could develop into an Aaron Rogers.

The truth is, even at early stages, Rogers was not struggling with decision making. And Tanny is playing in a WCO under the same Offensive Co-Ord who was his college coach, so to me that's a slight red flag in terms of Tanny being an elite prospect down the line. I don;t believe this is solely experience based. I think there's a certain mental/visual acuity abiltiy that some QB's have to read and be decisive quicker than others and Tanny is not way above average in that regard.
    It doesn;t mean Tannehill won;t turn out to be a good QB for us, but I am thinking less like he could be a Manning/Brees/Brady potential (which was wishful thinking, but that's what fans do)... and I am starting to see him more as a guy who could get to a good, not great level with the occasional big year like a Rich Gannon.

Yeah. it's way early, but I think you can tell a lot from the first few months. The 'issues' these guys have don't change. Dudes known as cerebral noodle arms with good decision making tend to become that in their career. Guys with rocket arms and mental gaffes as a habit tend to stay that way too. Tanny seems to have WR drops and decision making as his burdens. Neither good things for an elite QB. The drops MAY improve as his timing improved, but the decsion making may only go from bad to 'okay'.

8. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Based on the general tenor of league opinions of Garrard, if he wins out, I suspect we may not be able to make a justified trade of Matt Moore. If we can get a third, I think I'd make the move though.

9. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    It would probably be more like a 4th. I honestly think I would trade Moore though. If Garrard holds up through the preseason and we don't feel like carrying three QB's I think we could afford to trade Moore. I think the coaching staff wants Tannehill to play at least a few games this season, sort of like Jake Locker in Tennessee last year. If Garrard goes down chances are it wouldn't be until after the game 6 or so. Plus, I don't know how I would feel if I was Matt Moore as 2nd string and then got leaped by Tannehill if Garrard goes down later in the year.

10. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    :huh:

Killer Bees likes this.
  11. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    There is no way in the world we'd get a 3rd or a 4th round pick for Matt Moore. If we tried to trade him, we'd be LUCKY if we got a 6th round pick for him. LUCKY!

12. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Statistics my friend :)

13. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    First off, I'm with you. If someone offered a third for Moore I would be all over it.

The problem is, we wouldn't get even close to that price. That's not because of his talent necessarily, but the simple fact of the matter is he is on the last year of his contract and we're speculating about a trade happening either on the eve of, during, or after training camp. The value just isn't going to be there for any team.

Every team in the National Football League currently believes its QB situation is better than Matt Moore, whether it really is or not. Think about it. The Bills think Fitzpatrick is better than Moore. The Jets still believe Sanchez is a franchise quarterback. The Bengals believe Dalton is a franchise quarterback. The Browns believe Weeden is, and took him in the 1st round. The Jaguars still believe Gabbert is a franchise quarterback. I wouldn't doubt the Chiefs believe Cassel is better than Moore. The Raiders certainly feel Palmer is better. The Vikings still believe Ponder is a franchise quarterback. The Bucs are still certain Freeman is, and there are many around the league that agree. The Rams still think Bradford is a franchise quarterback. I'd be willing to bet the Seahawks privately think they have multiple quarterbacks better than Matt Moore.

Then you just have the Cardinals with Skelton and Kolb, who knows what they really think but after the Kolb thing I doubt they're in a hurry to make a trade for Matt Moore.

14. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Statistics of 34 year-olds w/bad backs says if they get hurt it'll be after Week 6?

I think you'd have better luck picking lotto numbers.

15. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    I think we would get a conditional 6th at best honestly. ANd I doubt anyone makes a move for any QB on our roster.

16. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    On another note, is Devlin still with the Phins? Loved watching him play at Delaware.

17. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Hmm, I think a fifth or a low fourth is plausible, but if Garrard wins outright, he becomes a sixth or seventh. I could maybe see the Bears, Niners, or Cardinals taking him. Bears more so to hedge against Cutler's injury history, the Niners for depth. The Cards only if TC is an absolute disaster. We got Thigpen for a fifth IIRC, so I won't say a low fourth is out of the realm of possibility. It'd most likely have to be a dire situation with the stars aligning and multiple large women singing.

Yes

dolfan32323 likes this.
  18. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You'll have to take the Bears out of that mix I think. They signed Jason Campbell in the event of a Jay Cutler injury. IMO, he's probably a guy that could/should be starting in the NFL over some of the "starting" quarterbacks out there.

19. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I had no idea they signed him. I thought he was still in Oakland. Yeah, they're out.

20. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Since Earl Morrall, have we brought in another team's veteran QB, who did not get hurt within a year or so?

21. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Label the bad back as a prior injury and factor in age (34 isn't that old for a QB) and I could guarantee you that the statistics would show the average injury doesn't happen until week 8 or possibly later. That isn't even factoring our offense philosophy of the west coast, which would lower his chance of being injured even more given the penchant for quick, short throws.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/29/sports/football/quarterback-injuries-may-reshape-nfl-playoffs-nfl-fast-forward.html?pagewanted=all

22. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Which it isn't. He's got chronic back problems. Big difference.

You could guarantee me the statistics would show that, but you can't just show me the stastics. Ok.

The stats for only one season aren't credible. Sample size is way too small.

23. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    If Garrard is a better deep ball passer than Moore then bring him on because I loved the way Moore threw it deep last year. I'm assuming this offense will be less '7 step drops and letting the QB look deep' than it was last year. But it should obviously still be part of it and keeping some of that production from last year would be nice.

24. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    That took into account two seasons.

I can guarantee the statistics and not show them to you because I don't feel like running 20 years worth of data calculating it.

I would bet anything that if Garrard makes it out of the preseason uninjured he will at least play through 6 games before being injured. Injured meaning he is unable to play and has to be taken out of the game (for the remainder of the game) or has to miss a game.

25. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Those statistics sound pretty suspect. The whole basis for the theory is weak.

I can guarantee if we trade Moore and Garrard's back goes out Week 2, we'll be in deep **** if Tannehill isn't ready.

26. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Another factor is Garrard injured his back in 2010, had surgery, did not play at all in 2011 and won't play at all until at least August this yr, which in NFL time is twice as long as the average rehab.

INOW, Garrard's back should be 100% if it ever will be. Back surgery of the type he had is considered relatively minor even for an athlete as he played all of 2010 with that injury. Add in he rarely missed a game in Jax after he became the starter in 06/07 or so.

My concern with him is more of the C-Pepe type, Stats may not be telling us the whole story. There were reason why no one rolled the dice on a pro bowl QB in 2011.

27. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    The reason was he didn't want to play. He wanted to rehab the entire year. Miami even tried to sign him last season

28. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Those statistics may be suspect and my theory may be weak, but I will stand by them. I've only wagered on one other thing in all my time on here and I won. Toddphins was supposed to have, "I am UCF FINatic's B****" (Large and bolded) in his sig for three months before he got banned because I won a wager on the NFL draft.

And we are going to be in deep **** regardless. I wasn't expecting a playoff run this year. I don't expect us to make the playoffs until next year, but more likely two years from now.

29. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    ****ing up Tannehill's development after we spent an 8th overall pick on him would be a much bigger deal that missing the playoffs.

30. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    He can develop on the bench or in the game. It's not like he wouldn't develop if he starts a few games this year (which I would be willing to bet he does).

31. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Big difference between a few towards the end of the season and being thrown in early if Garrard's back ****s the bed.

32. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Fear is no way to run a roster or develop players Bro.

For example, what if Garrard wins comeback player of the yr? Or Moore blows up in his second season as our starter?

33. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Neither is rushing a player's development because you want to take shortcuts.

If Garrard has a Pennington year then great. If Moore blows up, even better.

My whole point was trading Moore (unless the compensation is really nice) and leaving yourself only Tannehill if Garrard gets hurt (which is very likely at some point, imo) would be foolish.

34. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Could be, it all depends, I'd think about peddling MMoore if Garrard shows well, but do agree that Thill is nowhere close to being a starter in the NFL this is one of the problems of drafting a Qb with 18 starts with a Top 10 draft pick.

I do hope they give THill plenty of playing time in the second half of preseason games.

35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Also, between Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick and Josh Johnson, I believe the 49ers are well out of the running. The team I'd speculated on a lot was the Broncos and I think they still have to be on the table. They're a neck twinge away from starting either Caleb Hanie (who was AWFUL last year), or rookie Brock Osweiler. I saw recent reports that Peyton is still stuck at that 80-85 percent level, and getting hit will be a big test.

36. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't see how any team would give a meaningful pick for a guy in the final year of his contract.

37. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    It's funny that this is such a popular sentiment, that Matt Moore threw the deep ball really well. He was kind of just mediocre but we're not used to medicore because Chad Henne was our quarterback for two-plus years.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  38. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    FWIW I've heard conflicting reports on that. One report at the time suggested the Dolphins wanted to sign him but he refused us and chose back surgery. Another report later on said that Garrard was the one initiating and begging to be signed but the Dolphins weren't comfortable with his health so he had the surgery.

39. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Oh I do, what should be understood is that if a team needs a Qb who can start and win games, then they have to overpay to land one as the position creates that sort of close need.

For example, Carson Palmer goes down in a preseason game, do they really go with Terrelle Pryor?

If not, what does the available pool of Qb's look like?

40. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Strikes me that people were unhappy when Manning blew us off, and his health is far more precarious then Garrard's, yet when we draft a raw Qb prospect Top 10, then fans are happy.

SD or Oakland would be my bets for MMoore, barring a surprise injury to a starting Qb.