1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olivier Vernon finding his way on path from ’Canes to Fins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sceeto, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...icleid=1061143652&srvc=sports&position=recent

Marco, PhinsRock, djphinfan and 3 others like this.
  2. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    Nice little piece on Vernon.

3. Duss

Duss Season Ticket Holder

Dec 9, 2007
    How can they try to pancake if it's a no contact mini camp ?

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    To bad we have to go outside of our own to find good material..

This gets me excited for camp..I wanna really see for myself if Golden is just pimpin his own, or if these dudes are and have legit first round potential.

5. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Eh, hard to say at this point. Lamar Miller, yeah, I think he's got some talent. I don't think he's the next CJ2K or anything like that. Vernon on the other hand, from what I've seen strikes me as almost a Matt Roth 2.0. If Kevin Coyle's defense is similar to what Mike Zimmer was running in Cincinnati, there's a role for Vernon, but at this point in time, I don't think he's a guy you're going to expect to get any more than 5 or 6 sacks/impact plays from. Hopefully I'm wrong. With Miller at least, I can envision him taking over the Reggie Bush role after this year if they don't bring Reggie back.

Disgustipate likes this.
  6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    We're gonna get to see how far serious strength can take a raw player in his first year, he's got the motor, he's got the body, need to see where his instincts are and what he can and can't do with his body from an athletic standpoint, can he bend around the corner, does he have the talent to make moves on his opposition and make plays.

7. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Look no further than Vernon Gholston. Sheer strength and above average athletic doesn't automatically translate to good football players. Certainly helps, that is for sure.

8. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I dunno what the big deal about picking UM players is at this point. You don't get any specific advantage from it, it's no different from scouting players in general.

It's not like UM players playing for the Dolphins have any special rapport, either. No one really cared about Vernon Carey unless it was to **** on him when he started breaking down physically and he had a long, quality career here.

9. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    Nice try, Mike Florio.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  10. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Read the same piece in the Palm Beach Post last weekend, was just too busy to post it. Good read.

Really do think these three Canes could all turn into starters and contribute rather quickly in fact. Wouldn't that make for a seriously great draft this April? And before anyone crucifies me on that statement, I haven't seen even a decent draft in the last 10 years IMVHO. We've gotten better though since Ireland took over without Parcells' looking over his shoulder.

11. Duss

Duss Season Ticket Holder

Dec 9, 2007
    Bet ya didnt think I was trolling here ;)

12. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I've never really disliked Carey. He has been an okay player for us, but he could have been a lot better if he actually worked on his body and conditioning. He always seemed to report to camp a little over-weight and never seemed to get better from a physicality standpoint.

In a way I always resented Carey because we passed on Vince Wilfork for him. I wanted Wilfork so bad during that draft. Also if I recall correctly, we traded up 1 spot to take Carey, burning a 3rd or 4th in the process. Basically, every time I would see Carey I would think of Wilfork and what could have been.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  13. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    It could have been worse
    We could have picked Will Poole over Jared Allen