Thread: Olivier Vernon finding his way on path from ’Canes to Fins

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    3,485 Fist Bumps in 1,489 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Olivier Vernon finding his way on path from ’Canes to Fins

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/f...osition=recent

Still in the infancy of his NFL career, Vernon hasn’t backed down despite his rookie status.

During one minicamp drill last month, Vernon got into a scuffle with Dolphins star left tackle Jake Long — one Vernon dismissed as a heat-of-the-moment-type tangle.

“We’re cool,” Vernon said. “It’s a battle. Everyone’s always competing every day. You’re trying to win one-on-ones. You’re trying to get to the quarterback. The offensive line, they’re trying to block. They’re trying to get pancakes and stuff like that, but it’s competition.”
    “I think Dolphin fans will look back two years from now and say that they ended up with three first-round picks in Vernon, (Ryan) Tannehill and Miller.

2. These 6 users offered FIST BUMPS to Sceeto for a solid post:

Bringin' the Ruckus Killer Bees's Avatar
    Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    877 Fist Bumps in 513 Posts

Nice little piece on Vernon.

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    543 Fist Bumps in 349 Posts

How can they try to pancake if it's a no contact mini camp ?

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    22,065 Fist Bumps in 11,079 Posts

To bad we have to go outside of our own to find good material..

This gets me excited for camp..I wanna really see for myself if Golden is just pimpin his own, or if these dudes are and have legit first round potential.

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    4,615 Fist Bumps in 2,445 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by djphinfan View Post
    To bad we have to go outside of our own to find good material..

This gets me excited for camp..I wanna really see for myself if Golden is just pimpin his own, or if these dudes are have legit first round potential.
    Eh, hard to say at this point. Lamar Miller, yeah, I think he's got some talent. I don't think he's the next CJ2K or anything like that. Vernon on the other hand, from what I've seen strikes me as almost a Matt Roth 2.0. If Kevin Coyle's defense is similar to what Mike Zimmer was running in Cincinnati, there's a role for Vernon, but at this point in time, I don't think he's a guy you're going to expect to get any more than 5 or 6 sacks/impact plays from. Hopefully I'm wrong. With Miller at least, I can envision him taking over the Reggie Bush role after this year if they don't bring Reggie back.

7. This Member gave RoninFin4 a FIST BUMP for this post:

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    22,065 Fist Bumps in 11,079 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RoninFin4 View Post
    Eh, hard to say at this point. Lamar Miller, yeah, I think he's got some talent. I don't think he's the next CJ2K or anything like that. Vernon on the other hand, from what I've seen strikes me as almost a Matt Roth 2.0. If Kevin Coyle's defense is similar to what Mike Zimmer was running in Cincinnati, there's a role for Vernon, but at this point in time, I don't think he's a guy you're going to expect to get any more than 5 or 6 sacks/impact plays from. Hopefully I'm wrong. With Miller at least, I can envision him taking over the Reggie Bush role after this year if they don't bring Reggie back.
    We're gonna get to see how far serious strength can take a raw player in his first year, he's got the motor, he's got the body, need to see where his instincts are and what he can and can't do with his body from an athletic standpoint, can he bend around the corner, does he have the talent to make moves on his opposition and make plays.

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    2,965 Fist Bumps in 1,425 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by djphinfan View Post
    We're gonna get to see how far serious strength can take a raw player in his first year, he's got the motor, he's got the body, need to see where his instincts are and what he can and can't do with his body from an athletic standpoint, can he bend around the corner, does he have the talent to make moves on his opposition and make plays.
    Look no further than Vernon Gholston. Sheer strength and above average athletic doesn't automatically translate to good football players. Certainly helps, that is for sure.

Season Ticket Holder Disgustipate's Avatar
    Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    13,262 Fist Bumps in 5,609 Posts

I dunno what the big deal about picking UM players is at this point. You don't get any specific advantage from it, it's no different from scouting players in general.

It's not like UM players playing for the Dolphins have any special rapport, either. No one really cared about Vernon Carey unless it was to **** on him when he started breaking down physically and he had a long, quality career here.

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    1,420 Fist Bumps in 816 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duss View Post
    How can they try to pancake if it's a no contact mini camp ?
    Nice try, Mike Florio.

Many thanks to the awesome staff and members of the site, all of whom contribute tirelessly to an incredible Dolphins fansite.

12. This Member gave emocomputerjock a FIST BUMP for this post:

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    4,896 Fist Bumps in 2,896 Posts

Read the same piece in the Palm Beach Post last weekend, was just too busy to post it. Good read.

Really do think these three Canes could all turn into starters and contribute rather quickly in fact. Wouldn't that make for a seriously great draft this April? And before anyone crucifies me on that statement, I haven't seen even a decent draft in the last 10 years IMVHO. We've gotten better though since Ireland took over without Parcells' looking over his shoulder.
    2011 & 2006 World Champions, 2013 National League Champions; St. Louis Cardinals!

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    543 Fist Bumps in 349 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emocomputerjock View Post
    Nice try, Mike Florio.
    Bet ya didnt think I was trolling here

The Miami Dolphins select UCF FINatic's Avatar
    Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    1,698 Fist Bumps in 1,042 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Disgustipate View Post
    I dunno what the big deal about picking UM players is at this point. You don't get any specific advantage from it, it's no different from scouting players in general.

It's not like UM players playing for the Dolphins have any special rapport, either. No one really cared about Vernon Carey unless it was to **** on him when he started breaking down physically and he had a long, quality career here.
    I've never really disliked Carey. He has been an okay player for us, but he could have been a lot better if he actually worked on his body and conditioning. He always seemed to report to camp a little over-weight and never seemed to get better from a physicality standpoint.

In a way I always resented Carey because we passed on Vince Wilfork for him. I wanted Wilfork so bad during that draft. Also if I recall correctly, we traded up 1 spot to take Carey, burning a 3rd or 4th in the process. Basically, every time I would see Carey I would think of Wilfork and what could have been.
    Thank you giovafin for this awesome Sig!

16. This Member gave UCF FINatic a FIST BUMP for this post:

Fist Bumps
    My Posts Inspired:
    1,196 Fist Bumps in 509 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UCF FINatic View Post

In a way I always resented Carey because we passed on Vince Wilfork for him. I wanted Wilfork so bad during that draft. Also if I recall correctly, we traded up 1 spot to take Carey, burning a 3rd or 4th in the process. Basically, every time I would see Carey I would think of Wilfork and what could have been.
    It could have been worse
    We could have picked Will Poole over Jared Allen