1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL.com projects SS24 to breakout.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Jun 24, 2012.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    PhinishLine and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  2. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Kiss of death.

3. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    No such thing Slickster...One of the best variables to project accurate progression in a player is to follow his offseason program..Let's see his body in preseason.

4. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Unless he grew another set of hands then I doubt that Int number rises very much :lol:

5. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Aint that da truth..maybe with his increased muscle size he will have gained some grip strength in his hands, and he just learns how to relax a bit, there seems to be a lot of anxiety when he sees the ball in the air.

6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Brandon Browner went from the CFL to the pro bowl in one yr, and SS24 has far more physical talent.

7. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    That kid stepped up in some big games under some pressure situations, similar body types though..

How do you think playing more man to man will help Sean's game Pod?

8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Means he does not have to play the "chase the rabbit" game, long arms means great jams at the LoS instead of having to try and change direction a lot which is not his forte'.

djphinfan likes this.
  9. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    When did you ever see Sean Smith jam anyone anytime
    I don't expect Smith to suddenly change his unwillingness to have
    any contact whatsoever unless it's pushing someone out of bounds.

Then again it's his contract year

10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Pods right imo, his weakness is change of direction, now I understand he's not a good tackler, but he can be physical at the line with his length, I've seen him do it, anyways, the fact that he's closer to his opponent from the get allows him to hide his weakness, and with this extra muscle he's added, he can learn how to use it for the jam, that's a much easier way to be physical than actually learning how to tackle.

11. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    To me, being closer means that his issues with agility would be magnified, as there is no cushion which may allow him to get into position easier. The closer you are the less room there is for error.

12. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    yeah it's weird because that was one of his strengths coming out of Utah, and those plays he made in the preseason when he was a rookie.

13. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    if the objective is to mirror the opponent, and cover a weakness that is change of direction, and the corner and receiver are starting from a stationary position, I believe it would allow Sean to be able to impede the opponents destination with his body, arms and hands, more effectively than sitting in space/zone and reacting to a player coming at you at full speed, no?

14. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    To beat the jam, receivers will use a variety of techniques, but in the end it still comes down to footwork for me. Obviously how they use their hands is important, but many times the press will be beaten by short quick movements - a jab step for instance in one direction, plant then redirect. Again they need to use their hands, but with the footwork outlined, Smith may have issues. Its easier for a guy who has agility issues to move when he's already moving (and obviously we're not talking about a full out pace here, but rather simply on the move) rather than having to start, stop start again, redirect etc. To me given the physical requirements it might fit Vontae's game better.

But Smith will also likely get his hands on more balls overall, due to his length and anticipation. But the press may cause him to face some adversity, but that's just my opinion. Smith is a bit better than Vontae in terms of consistency and technique, so that will help in the long run, but he will likely face his toughest test at the outset of the play.

15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Imo the footwork required at the jam and the ability to redirect from a zone position, is different obviously, especially if you can manipulate and grapple with the player at the Los to your advantage..When I have isolated Sean in man, he seems to be more comfortable when he's closer to the player and can get his hands on him, which in return, closes the gap of space when he does have to redirect, but I do see what your saying.