1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UCF FINatic's Weight Loss Diary

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by UCF FINatic, Jun 10, 2012.

1. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I am going to post each day what I eat and what activities I do. This is mostly to keep me accountable, plus if I do have some great success people can copy what I did. I plan on at least updating this each day for the next 10-weeks. Realistically, I am trying to lose 2 pounds per week for a total of 20 pounds lost during the 10 weeks. I will weight in every week (wearing the same clothes to keep everything consistent).

Beginning Stats:
    Date: 6/10/12
    Height: 5'9
    Weight: 216 (I weighted myself on a Publix scale wearing sperrys, blue athletic shorts (with underwear lol), grey American Eagle T-shirt, and black UCF hat.)
    As a note I will be taking a One-A-Day Men's Pro Edge Multivitamin everyday.

I am going to try to achieve these goals everyday:
    Calories - 1900
    Protein - 150g (600 calories)
    Fat - 60g (540 calories)
    Carbs - 200g (800 calories)

Total Cals - 1940 (1950 or 1900 is fine).
    6/10/12
    Food
    Chi-Chi's Fiesta Plates Creamy Chipotle Chicken
    Publix Fruit on the Bottom Dutch Apple Pie Low Fat Yogurt
    Body Fortress Whey Protein - Chocolate mixed with water
    Publix Enriched Long Grain Boil-In-Bag Rice
    Chicken (little under a pound)
    Teriyaki marinade
    Soy Sauce
    Blue Diamond Almonds - Smokehouse
    Diet Coke (no nutritional value)
    Dannon Light and Fit Vanilla yogurt - Vanilla (frozen and eaten like ice cream)
    Exercise
    500 jumping jacks (5 sets of 100)
    50 push-ups (5 sets of 10)
    8 minute abs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNqrkGnkUWc)
    (I realize this isn't much exercise, but I wanted to sort of ease into working out rather than burn myself out right away.)

Day 1 Totals:
    Calories - 1870
    Protein - 182g
    Fat - 51g
    Carbs - 177g
    Notes: This really can't be a diet, can it? I have eaten everything I have felt like and still met my goals. I was a little short on Fat and Carbs, but I think I made up for that with my 182g of protein (hopefully this much protein is okay...). I seriously could make this a lifestyle change. While I am looking at the totals and I "should" lose weight I just don't know how that is possible because I felt satisfied and full all day. I ate when I wanted to (stopped that eat every 2-3 hours crap). I can't wait to see if this actually works in a week. Also the myfitnesspal app is unreal. I downloaded a while ago and never really gave it a chance, but this thing is freaking sweet and makes it so simple to keep track of your nutritional values.

6/11/12
    Food
    Banana
    Blue Diamond Almonds - Smokehouse
    Natures Own Whole Wheat Bread with One slice of Publix Medium Cheddar cheese and 2 oz of Publix smoked turkey
    Cliff Bar - White Chocolate Macadamia Nut
    Publix Enriched Long Grain Boil-In-Bag Rice
    Chicken (little under a pound)
    Teriyaki marinade
    Soy Sauce
    Exercise
    2.4 Mile Bicycle ride to work
    2.4 Mile Bicycle ride from work
    600 Jumping Jacks (6 sets of 100)
    60 push-ups (6 sets of 10)

Day 2 Totals:
    Calories - 1900
    Protein - 183g
    Fat - 46g
    Carbs - 213g
    Notes: I half expected to wake up in the morning with soreness/tenderness in my calves, arms, or abs because of yesterdays work out, but had none. I guess I can contribute this to how much protein I ate yesterday. As the day is progressing I am getting slightly sore in the previously mentioned body parts; I am kind of glad in a weird way to see that my "workout" didn't go to waste yesterday. Forget everything I said about not being sore earlier on in the day... As the hours ticked by I noticed "ohhh, that hurts when I move that way." As the time passed my body started to ache in more places. By the time it was time for my jumping jacks and push-ups, I didn't want to do them. Simple solution, I pulled up some hot lady pictures and looked at them for motivation ;) My body may have ached, but I am the master of it and tell it to do whatever the hell I want to do. My body is my ***** lover.

6/12/12
    Food
    Banana
    Macintosh Apple
    Natures Own Whole Wheat Bread with One slice of Publix Medium Cheddar cheese and 2 oz of Publix smoked turkey
    Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowl - white rice, chicken, all salsas (except the green one), sour cream, cheese, and lettuce.
    Soy Milk Plus Dha Omega 3 & Calcium - 1 cup
    Exercise
    250 jumping jacks

Day 3 Totals:
    Calories - 1635
    Protein - 138g
    Fat - 52g
    Carbs - 178g
    Notes: Body was still sore today. I must push on though. Early on in the day I kind of decided that I wanted to get Chipotle. Since I CAN eat anything on this diet I said, "why the hell not?" In order to feel better about splurging and getting Chipotle I cut out my Clif Bar from lunch (that gave me an extra 270 calories and 41g of Carbs to apply towards Chipotle). Since my body was sore I took it easy on the exercise. That being said, I plan on remaining well under 1900 calories for the day. Additionally, I plan on stopping by Planet Fitness in order to check out their deals. Thanks for the support guys!

6/13/12
    Food
    Banana
    Clif Bar - Chocolate Chip Peanut Crunch
    Macintosh Apple
    Natures Own Whole Wheat Bread with One slice of Publix Medium Cheddar cheese and Starkist Tuna Salad
    Smart Ones Macaroni and Cheese
    Muscle Milk
    Exercise
    500 jumping jacks

Day 4 Totals:
    Calories - 1550
    Protein - 115g
    Fat - 41g
    Carbs - 214g (wow..)
    Notes: I had really little calories today. Mostly because I was constantly on the go at work. I never felt like I was starving myself though and wasn't super hungry. I don't plan to continually get this little calories. Additionally, I have been slacking on my protein the last two days; hopefully that doesn't make a huge difference. I still haven't had a problem craving fat food, I have never really had a sweet tooth. That being said, I am usually pretty high on my Carbs. I think that is my weakness. My body is constantly sore throughout the day. Push-ups everyday are killing me as I never seem to recover from them before its time to do more.

6/14/12
    Food
    Dannon Light and Fit Vanilla Yogurt
    Cliff Bar - White Chocolate Macadamia Nut
    Blue Diamond Smokehouse Almonds
    Starkist Tuna Salad
    Natures Own Whole wheat bread (two slices)
    Publix Medium Cheddar Cheese
    Hormel Compleats - Chicken and Gravy with Mash potatoes
    Woodchuck - Amber
    Blue Moon - Belgian White
    Blue Diamond Smokehouse Almonds
    Dannon Light and Fit Vanilla Yogurt
    Exercise

Day 5 Totals:
    Calories - 1751
    Protein - 104g
    Fat - 57g
    Carbs - 175g
    Notes: I've decided I am going to do the 40 mile bike trail this coming Saturday. That will be my only exercise for the day and I will use Sunday as a "recovery" day and not workout at all. I am strangely looking forward to the 40 mile bike ride, probably because then I won't have to do push-ups lol. I might have a hard time fitting in my exercise today as it is one of my friends 21st birthdays, but I will do my best. Worse comes to worse, I will do 1,000 jumping jacks tomorrow and 100 push-ups. Also as it gets closer to Sunday, I get more and more excited about seeing how much weight I have lost.

6/15/12
    Food
    Crystal Light - Raspberry Lemonade
    Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowl - white rice, chicken, all salsas (except the green one), sour cream, cheese, and lettuce.
    Starkist Tuna Salad
    Birds Eye Steamfresh Super Sweet Corn
    Wishbone Light Italian dressing
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Publix Chicken Breast
    Muscle Milk
    Exercise
    110 push-ups (11 sets of 10)
    1,000 jumping jacks (5 sets of 100 and 10 sets of 50)

Day 6 Totals:
    Calories - 1580
    Protein - 139g
    Fat - 66g
    Carbs - 110g
    Notes: Those numbers might be a little on the light side as I accounted for only 8 oz of chicken when I actually had about 9 oz. Taking the day off yesterday really paid off, I felt no soreness and was able to grind out a lot more push ups and jumping jacks than usual. I look forward to riding 40 miles tomorrow!

6/16/12
    Food
    Dannon Light and Fit Vanilla
    2 Publix Medium Cheddar cheese slice
    Muscle Milk
    Light Italian Dressing
    Chicken Breast
    Diet Mountain Dew
    Salad
    Diet Mountain Dew
    Exercise
    3 Hour bike ride
    750 jumping jacks (5 sets of 100 and 5 sets of 50)
    100 push-ups (10 sets of 10)

Day 7 Totals:
    Calories - 1650
    Protein - 140g
    Fat - 69g
    Carbs - 124g
    Notes: I should just call this the Chipotle diet seeing as I have eaten there like 3 times this week lol. Their burrito bowls are pretty good though and they have a ton of protein. I decided to work out pretty hard today because I have a feeling I am going to be pretty sore tomorrow. If I am considering taking tomorrow off in terms of working out, or at the very least working out lightly. Looking in the mirror I can notice a pretty big difference; I look more muscular and lighter than I have in the past. I cannot wait to see the results tomorrow.

Jt0323, Tone_E and vmarcilfan75 like this.
  2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Cocaine is a helluva drug, is all I'm saying.

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    May be a good idea to add what supplements you are using and whether you can see them working or not.

LOTS of quackery in the supplement field.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  4. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    AM cardio on an empty stomach 4-5 x a week and do not eat anything past 630pm. Watch it shred away.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    UCF, have you discovered what body type you have?

Simple check is wrist diameter, if your thumb and middle finger can wrap around your wrist, you are an ectomorph, if they almost or barely touch, you are a mesomorph, if they cannot touch you are and endomorph.

This and look into blood type diets..interesting stuff, won't replace doing the work of course, but maybe can give you some direction without trial and error.

gunn34 and UCF FINatic like this.
  6. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    I am either an ectomorph or mesomorph. I can touch my thumb to my middle finger around the wrist, but I have to squeeze. All in all, I would say I am mesomorph. I never knew they had diets based on this type of stuff. I'll have to look into it.

EDIT: After researching more about body time and what each one entails I feel like I am more of a mesomorph and maybe a little endomorph. I am what you would call "big-boned" especially in the thighs. I luckily get away with looking like I weigh less than I actually do because most of my weight is in my big thighs.

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    There is a sort of duel meso/endomorph, but my wrist diameter is about the same as yours.

What I've found is I can muscle rapidly, but when losing weight I hit sticking points and pretty much have to take calorie restricted/lots of cardio approach to make it past them.

I've hovered between 202-208 for a couple of weeks now and only rafting for 6 hours yesterday with no food brought it down to 201 but I could tell I was exhausted when literally having a single beer and relaxing listening to a band led to me darn near crashing/falling asleep right then and there...then there was the 2 mile trip home on the bike up the mtn side!

All that and I lost one pound!

Another thing I do is track my weight every morning and then put the daily results in a spread sheet and graph it to see which way the trend is going compared to working out and what I've been eating..keeps me from letting a bad trend from continuing and lets me know where I'm at in my goals.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  8. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    It sounds like we have the same body type. In the past, I always used to hover around the 180 pound mark. No matter what I seemed to do nothing would work to get below that weight, even playing lacrosse in high school (a ton of running) didn't help me that much. That being said, when I have "dieted" in the past by mostly working as many hours as possible as a Publix stock clerk and eating very healthy otherwise I was able to shed weight fast. I hope that I experience the same thing now, especially since I am 23 and I know my metabolism is about to slow down.

That's a good point about logging your weight every day. I used to have a scale but lent it to someone and never got it back. Next time I go to Orlando I am going to hunt it down like a blood hound. That being said, I think right now since I am just starting out I might be more motivated by only weighing myself once a week so I see bigger results. Once I get down to a lower weight I might incorporate your strategy.

Thank you so much everyone! I love all the support from my fellow Dolphin fans. And while the team may suck every once in a while (or for quite some time), the fans never do! :knucks:

9. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Somatotypes (Endomorph, Ectomorph, and Mesomorph) are pseudoscience. It was invented by William Herbert Sheldon. He took a bunch of nude pictures of Ivy League students and came up with a bunch of physiological and personality types to match. His theory's have since been discredited.

Blood Type diet is garbage brah.

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

You are probably better off weighing yourself everyday when you first start out so you can get a feel for what works and what does not work for you, as you learn that you know what you can avoid and what is effective.

The problem with once a week is you will not then be certain what is working and what is causing problems.

UCF FINatic and Clark Kent like this.
  11. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Agreed. More numbers are better. Glycogen and water can fluctuate from 1-15lbs depending on various factors like carb intake, sodium intake, etc... In fact, one of the best ways to know whether your diet is working properly is the lack of bowel movements. If you're in a deficit, they will be cut down quite a bit. That means it's storing inside for a while and keeping the scale up when you're really losing fat.

When you get a gym membership, you'll have access to a scale, so track often.

12. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    I am curious about sodium intake. Yesterday I was way over my sodium limit and I am curious how this would impact my "diet." I know sodium makes you retain water, but if everything else is in check could I still lose fat? Later down the line after I have lost a good amount of fat could I then just cut out a lot of my sodium in order to lose a lot of "water weight" caused by excess sodium? I am curious to see how sodium plays a role in dieting and if its something I need to monitor closely. If I lose fat and gain water weight (due to more sodium) I am fine with this as I should be able to shed water weight later by restricting sodium intact later down the line. Any imput on this would be greatly appreciated.

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Yessir, bought a scale and check every morning before breakfast.

As for carbs, imo it is better to mix them with a fiber source like raw veggies or legumes. And unlike in your case what works well for me is actually reducing what I call low quality protein and going more with nuts as the fat=protein ratio of the low quality stuff tends to pack weight onto my frame.

Do agree 100% on sauces on your food, but I'd toss mayo into the sauce category, it has a poor quality=calorie relationship.

As for supplements, the ones I've found that work:

-Chromium picolinate
    -Vitamin D
    -Cayenne
    -St John's Wort

Since ma-huang has been banned I generally do not fool with weight loss supplements as they are just not very effective.

14. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Sodium has no effect on body composition. Eat as much as you want. It will make your retain some water though.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    One caution with that is eating a large amount of protein and sodium the body will require additional water to process those substances...or I'd suspect constipation would result.

16. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Sodium will retain water like you say. It means he will retain "water weight" meaning the scales may not tell you the whole truth. Water is great for your body and helps clean you but you don't want to retain it when trying to lose weight. As padre said...drink lots of it to prevent cramping and constipation as a high protein diet pretty much requires it. A normal diet should have two gallons of water a day...try for more then that. It gives you that full feeling especially on days when you want to go outside your diets restrictions. Don't eliminate sodium but do try and limit it to a degree. Go for the lightly salted chips or peanuts where possible.

Also UCF, if you had no soreness after your workout you aren't trying hard enough :)

UCF FINatic likes this.
  17. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    You're on the right track. I've recently simply been counting my calories and using the myfitnesspal app on Iphone to track it and I lost nearly 20lbs in a matter of weeks. Calories in and calories out. Add some excercise and it flies off.

Hint: Don't eat your excercise calories for quicker / more consistent results.

UCF FINatic and Clark Kent like this.
  18. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Only part I disagree with. Soreness should be expected at first (fight through it the first month) but it should not be used as an indicator long-term. One reason is

However, if soreness persists for a prolonged period (even after a month of steady and consistent training) then dialing it back might be for the best as you're overdoing it. In a calorie deficit, muscles don't repair themselves quickly enough (which is why a seasoned lifter can't put on muscle at this time).

Exactly. Also I would add, the only way to truly know how many calories you've burned during exercise is through trial and error and that's a pain in the *** because so many different variables could be at play. Especially with MFP calculating "exercise calories". Those numbers are trash. Hit your goals and do what you do and the weight will come off.

MonstBlitz and UCF FINatic like this.
  19. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    The same muscles should not be sore every time and if that happens theres something wrong but if youre not somewhat sore the next morning you probably didnt push yourself hard enough. I am familiar with DOMS but soreness can also result from nothing more then a good intense workout. And the reason pushing yourself would be important is obviously to burn calories, push your body to different limits and to keep yourself interested in working out otherwise it becomes boring and mundane. In short, soreness is a good thing as long as soreness doesnt = pain.

This is also why you take the protein shake AFTER you lift, especially in a calorie deficit, to speed muscle repair. Potassium based foods such as bananas and other fruits also aid this but too much potassium isnt good either.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  20. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    If you're having soreness continually I would probably try using creatine. Used to help me a lot.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I will try that. I have been doing crossfit for about 4 months now, and I pretty spend my entire week sore.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  22. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    be prepared to drink A LOT of water and feel bloated with creatine.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  23. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    So it is either bloated or sore?

UCF FINatic likes this.
  24. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Not enough creatine and you can have both... :)

UCF FINatic likes this.
  25. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    How much will not having a gym membership set me back?

The reason I ask is because I am only going to be in Gainesville for the next six and a half weeks. In order to use a gym for that amount of time I would have to sign up, pay $50, and then cancel my membership. Right after I leave Gainesville, I will be going back to Orlando where I can use Gold's Gym for free (my brother has an account there). Then when I come back up to Gainesville towards the end of August I will be allowed to use the UF gym. All in all, I just don't think it is worth the hassle of going through with it up here since it would only be for a few weeks. Additionally, since I am just starting to diet and exercise I don't think getting a gym membership would make THAT much of a difference in my results. I will continue to push myself doing various workouts and activities I can find online, etc. This weekend I am actually planning on doing a 40 mile bike course.

What are your thoughts?

26. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    You can get by without it as long as you do some physical activity such as running, push ups, basketball, etc. Do stretches and keep your muscles loose. It wont burn calories as much as lifting but it will make you feel better to use muscles you may not use often. One thing I love on days I cant go to the gym is a resistance or swiss ball. You can get a great ab workout on these and use them for pushups, among other exercises...I got mine on ebay for $15 and it came with an airpump to make it easy for travel. They take up virtually no space

MonstBlitz and UCF FINatic like this.
  27. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Yes drink a lot of water. But micronized creatine will cause less bloating than monohydrate.

28. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    The really buff guy at Super Supplements recommended L-Glutamine for soreness. I have decided to give that a try. He suggested 10 grams a day, however reading on the internet I have read people getting rid of soreness with 3 to 6 grams per day.

Hopefully tomorrow I will wake up less sore.

29. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well Bro, in this game, consistency is more important then massive effort.

For example it would be better to go on 5 8 mile bike trips per week then 1 40 mile bike trip.

As for the gym, it boils down to being honest with yourself and how self disciplined you are, will you work out on your own consistently?

Boik14 and UCF FINatic like this.
  30. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    That is a perfect advice. Find what kind of exercise works for you, then do it.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  31. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Weight lifting is very important, but if you can't then you should try to be consistent with body resistance work. At your size, it should help. As soon you can great a gym membership, get one. Until then, do your best otherwise. Ill see if I can find a good body resistance workout when I'm home.

Creatine is a great supplement (the entire industry is founded on it). If you're not lifting, don't worry about it. If you're do extensive research on he brands and companies who make it. **** creatine is a dime a dozen.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  32. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    UCF FINatic likes this.
  33. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    push up bars...by far the best bang for the buck

If you can do 100 pushups, be it 5x20 or 10x10...u will be jacked up in the upper body

UCF FINatic likes this.
  34. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    I am already struggling to do the 50 or 60 I do daily. Probably because I keep doing them everyday and don't let my body rest.

35. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    lol... yeah, you have to rest. Don't work the same body part consecutively. You're already on a deficit, recovery is slowed as it is.

36. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Here is a great and FREE program for push-ups -

http://hundredpushups.com/

Even if you never make it to 100, the amount you will be able to do will drastically increase if you follow his plan. Only thing bad about it is it doesn't give you good instruction for what to do if you can't complete a week. For me, if I couldn't complete a set without a break in any week, I did it over the following week. So 7 weeks for me ended up being probably about 14 but I eventually did 100 consecutive push-ups.

This guy has other books to you can pick up dirt cheap on Amazon. They are great programs that don't require a lot of time and best of all, no gym membership or expensive equipment. All body weight exercises.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  37. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Thing is, the bars work better then regular pushups, even if you have put your knees on the floor.

38. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Alright UCF...were is the update on your progress Bro?

UCF FINatic and Boik14 like this.
  39. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    seriously Pads, what do ya say we hold him accountable? :)

UCF FINatic and padre31 like this.
  40. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    I keep updating my original post with what I have eaten/drank everyday as well as what activities/exercises I have done. I only plan on making a new post This coming Sunday after I weigh in. From that point on I will document my weekly information on the new post.

Thanks for caring though :knucks:

padre31 likes this.