1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports Buzz...Philbin has been charged to develop underachieving young players

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, Jun 10, 2012.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    A lot of us were surprised we didnt draft some higher profile WRs .One of the reasons is described as follows
    Regarding Clay Philbin thinks he can be molded .:pointlol:
    There is more about Gates ,Thomas and some glowing praise about David Gerrard :yes:

2. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I am not sure exactly why this article was even written. Since it the responsibility of EVERY head coach in the NFL and at every other level of football to develop his players. I guess there wasn't much to write about the Dolphins at this time of the year, so this writer just decided to write an article stating the obvious.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  3. pacadermng67

pacadermng67 New Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Vienna, VA
    I didnt think Clay underachieved last year. It seemed to me it took a little for Daboll to figure out how to best use him. Once they had a good plan Clay was pretty good in a limited role.

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    More signs Garrard could win the QB competition.

5. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I like the idea of Garrard starting the season, but I think he gets cut if we have to pay him almost 3.5 million to be a placeholder. Unless the coaching staff truly intends to sit Tannehill for the whole season, then I can see paying Garrard

6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Why would $3.5 mill keep them from starting Garrard? If he's playing good enough to start, then that's worth $3.5 mill. I think we as fans put too much emphasis on the money.

GMJohnson, LandShark13 and PhinsRock like this.
  7. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I like Moore, want Tannehill to sit 1 full season, and would LOVE to see Garrard win the starting position, return to his probowl performance levels and get this team into the playoffs.

As for developing players, that's the biggest single reason this franchise has gone downhill for so many years IMO. Your 1-4th round players are supposed to play well, it is what you do with 5th-7th round and UDFA's that set franchises like the Bellichick Pats and Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys apart from the rest of the pack. Brady in the 6th round, definite HOF and first ballot, Marques Colston 7th round, Bo Jackson 7th round, Donald Driver 7th round, Zach Thomas 5th round, Terrell Davis 6th round, TJ Houshmanzadeh 7th round, and Shannon Sharpe 7th round. I know these may be anomolies, but these players were developed into the contributors they became.

THIS is how you build a winning franchise through the draft. Ireland seems to have a pretty good knack at finding the players in late rounds and UDFA's, but the last 5 HC's and their staffs didn't develop anyone into anything. Philbin and staff must develop these late round picks to get this team back to greatness and perrenial playoff, even SB contenders.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  8. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i think you misread, its about 3.5$ if he is not starting

Fin D and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I did. My bad. Thanks.

10. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Gates better step up, or get out of the way ! I have high expectations for Thomas and Clay.

Whaddaya say? I just may !