1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heath Evans.."Tannehill will be the best out of three", good article.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, May 23, 2012.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
  2. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
  3. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I see all three of them playing in the league for awhile. But I've said from the beginning that Griffin will be exciting at times to watch, but he'll be the third best QB of the class.
    I do think Luck will look pretty awful at times this season, but it will have a lot to do with the lack of talent Indy now has.

4. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Heath evans seems to be a very bright guy, who has played with 2 hall of fame Qb's, very thorough as well, I hope he's so freakin right..

The thing about Tannehill that makes me question some of my own analysis, is the rare combination of prototype size with the athleticism of an unprototype size player, and how he uses these two qualities inside the red zone, defense cannot key on one aspect of his game, because he has the talent to do both things very effectively.

5. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    It doesn't mean they were right though. Just because the Skins take Griffin over Tannehill isn't an indication that RGIII will have a better career.

6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I don't know enough to predict who will be better. I do however, worry a little about the expectations for Luck in Indy. He has to be as good or better than one of the GOATs in Manning. Think about it.

Marino & Elway retired. Favre was a douche. Montana was shipped off but his replacement, Young, was a vet and they still had Rice and a good team.

Now they literally fired Manning to make way for Luck on 2 win team. I hope for Luck's sake the part of his head that holds his confidence is like Ft. Knox, cause that's a lot of pressure.

dolfan32323 and unluckyluciano like this.
  7. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I def don't agree with him about Luck, don't understand what he sees..it's what hurts his argument imo

8. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Personally, depending on the issue, I usually prefer to listen to the former coaches, GMs and front office types. Some of these former players can be good guys and somewhat intelligent, but sometimes they have some of that "meathead" thing going on. Heath seems o.k. Nothing special and he can actually be kind of annoying on NFLN. Hey, I hope he's right, but to say that Luck doesn't have the potential, skills or ceiling to be as good as Tannehill, then he's just high. I, obviously, hope Tannehill is the best out of the three, but now that Evans is in the media he sometimes is going to have to take certain controversial stances on certain issues to shine some light on himself and let him stand out a bit and get some attention. It's the game and the nature of the beast. Controversy sells. Again, I really hope he's right, but I'm not going to put too much stock into what he said.

9. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Luck knows hes gone to the worst team in he NFL or he will do when he learns the ropes. Ok being projected as the "best" QB available but he cant play defense and Special Teams and he cant block or run the ball. Tannehill will have a more fluent and smoother ride into the starters seat.

PhinsRock likes this.
  10. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Meh, Evans seems to be a blowhard on the NFL network. He's not a complete dummy but he comes off as the guy who just says outlandish stuff to get a reaction out of his cohorts.

11. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Well, if our guy ends up being the best QB in this year's draft class, it's not like it'll be the first time it's happened. Will it happen? Only time will tell. But man, that would be awesome.

I can definitely see a scenario where it comes to fruition too. But, Luck would have to end up being the proverbial bust in all likelihood. As for Griffin, and I know this will raise some eyebrows, but I would've taken Tanny over him anyway.

It's definitely a bold prediction, but I will be just as happy if Tannehill ends up simply being a good QB that helps us win a SB or two. He doesn't have to be a HOF'er, or even the best QB in the class to do that. He just needs to be...good.

JMHO...

12. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I see what he's saying about the physical prototype but then I have to wonder why he doesn't have Griffin above Tannehill.

13. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Luck has great size, measurements, etc. They can all pretty much fit into the "prototype" imo.

14. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Isnt it a little too early to crown a king.Maybe Heath has been watching Game of Thrones too much.:wink2:

15. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Heath is right.

When he starts breaking Marino's records we know we have a keeper.:up:

16. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Given how these things go, he's better off guessing or making statements like this than following convention

17. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    anything is possible :yes:
    I agree it could work out that Tannehill is the better of the three over the long run.

18. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

He's not alone. Phil Simms was unimpressed with Luck as well. This is going to be an interesting next decade hopefully. I hope Evans is right.

19. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I think Luck will be pretty good. I just can't stand seeing the guy smile. Dorkiest smile in the NFL.

Killer Bees likes this.
  20. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Heath Evans is a pretty smart guy, spoke at my Church once when he was playing for the Pats so I didn't want to like him, but he seemed to know his football. Let's hope he knows his QB's too. Hey Marino wasn't taken until 23 in the 1st round, so a few GM's were lamenting THAT choice a year or so later I'll bet! :lol:

dolfan87 likes this.
  21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Simms questioned his arm strength specifically, which in return would make me question what Simms is seeing on that angle.

22. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Not his arm strength. His propensity to not go deep IIRC. At his pro-day, I believe he was asked to throw a deep route specifically because some in attendance were skeptical.

23. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    It's nice to hear. I do hope that they develop Tannehill effectively and slowly. I think this team is a year away from being competitive and it will take a few more additions or some maturity of the rookies after this year before we are stronger. That's when I'd like to see Tannehill enter as the starter. I don't think there's a rush. Would be great to add a WR next year early (if necessary). The more knowledgeable Tannehill becomes, the smoother will be the transition. If the team is not strongly contending for the playoffs by the end of the year (last 3-4 games) put R.T. in for the last 2-3 games. Then, he would be ready to really compete next year. In this day and age, with so much complexity, I don't think there's a need to get a QB in there right away (unless he's a Cam Newton - who comes along once every ... ever!). But, Tannehill does have great size, athleticism and a good arm. It's an exciting time to be a fan but it's a speculative at this point. I really don't care how good the others are as long as R.T. pans out.

24. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    He's voice too, so goofy

25. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I don't really care if he's third best of the 3 if they all turn out well, it's not like we passed on them for him.

What I care about is if he's good enough to win just as many games on OUR team as they win on theirs. You don't have to be the absolute best to win a super bowl, I just want him to be very good.

26. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I love how all of a sudden some posters are seeing faults in Luck like his smile or his voice. There is also some question concerning his arm strength. All I know is I would trade two Tannehill's for one Luck. I think Luck will turn out to be a true franchise QB, while Tannehill will probably just be another in a long line of QB's who will be very average in the NFL.

27. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    But..but..but I thought you loved Tannehill??????????!!!!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!!!!!

At least you're still in Ireland's corner....right?

jsizzle and unluckyluciano like this.
  28. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Personally, I have Luck as the better prospect, but I don't see Evan's position as completely unreasonable.

29. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    When did I say I loved Tannehill? I was always opposed to the Dolphins drafting him with the eight pick in the draft. I stated prior to the draft that the only two QB's I felt were first round quality were Luck and Griffin.
    All I stated after the draft was now that Tannehill is a Dolphin, I hope that he is a huge success.

I have also stated that since I don't feel the Dolphins will win more then 5-6 games next year. I hope they are able to trade up in the draft and select Matt Barkley with the first pick in the 2013 draft.

I certainly hope I am wrong about Tannehill and he turns out to be a better NFL than I anticipate he will be. I think I have been very consistent in my comments regarding Tannehill and how you came up with idea I ever loved this selection by Ireland is beyond me.

30. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    For some it seems that sarcasm is a foreign language.

31. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Naw that kid has always had a goofy as smile.

32. gamblerx

gamblerx New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Homestead, FL
    That's pretty bold from Evans!

33. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    wait..........the goofy voice or the goofy smile?

34. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    I agree with you bro. LUCK HAS THE VOICE OF BARRY WHITE PRETENDING HE'S AN ANGEL!!

Fin D likes this.
  35. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I'd do anything for that grill on my team..

36. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Lucky's van will be pulling up to your door any minute then.........

unluckyluciano likes this.
  37. thisperishedmin

thisperishedmin Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I understand most of this, but....what the **** is that 6th word? sar....casm?

rafael likes this.
  38. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    ill honk.

39. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    If anybody knows a weak arm its him. Great leader and got the job done but he wasnt a bonafide "all-round" QB.

40. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 2022 Mother's Day and May Flowers!

Apr 15, 2012
    Let's just wait and see. He has not played a down. So let's not speculate.