1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports Buzz...Dolphins players share thoughts on Philbin, new system

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, May 9, 2012.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Coach Philbin has not taken long to win the respect of his players

In other news
    And this
    There is also some info on the Safety position.I suggest you read it.

2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    There's a few things in these 2 paragraphs that make me stupid happy:

Disnardo, DOLPHAN1, Dorfdad and 5 others like this.
  3. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Thanks for the info! A very enjoyable read. I'm still pretty worried about the safety position.

4. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Oh, you mean innovation like the other, succesful teams do in the nfl?! Instead of staying in the 1980's and not evolving with the league? Like Bill Billichek who came from the Parcells tree and has went with the current of the stream instead of bucking against it for decades? Oh ok, good....that makes me happy then :lol:

5. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    FindD, that is exactly what Philbin eluded to when asked about a number one receiver, or an X or Z receiver and he responded that he never looked into that stuff because with his offense everyone plays everywhere. It is about time we use an attacking mentality (not long bomb attacking) on offense that creates mismatches based on what defenses are doing by lining up X and Z WRs in the slot, and slot guys outside - RBs and TEs lined up in the slot, or on the outside. I can't wait.

Regarding Philbin himself, you can just tell the guy demands respect, but not in an autocratic way. He does it by respecting other players and by reassuring them that they need to do what he says to get better. The fact that every player interviewed mentioned the attention to detail is refreshing to both us and them, and they realize that the intricacies of each position on both sides of the ball can make the difference on game day.

Sparano taught ball security to the point everyone on offense was timid, not how to get better at what they do. It stunted a lot of players growth IMO.

6. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Don't be fooled too much by this stuff about this approach versus that approach. When Sparano came in around 2008, his approach was lauded by players who lived through Cam Cameron's laid back regime. And that regime itself was lauded at first as opposed to Nick Saban's hard line stance. And that stance was initially lauded heartily by players who felt it was more focused and orderly than Dave Wannstedt's approach.

It goes round and round and the only commonality is that when things are going badly, change is appreciated.

7. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The part that interested me was Ireland's praise of Kelcie McCray. He's a guy I looked at and I don't like to dismiss him but the fact of the matter is the safety position is real crowded (with mediocrity) and so it doesn't look like there's much room for a UDFA to make it. But then, someone like Tyrone Culver whom I believe is making a million plus, could be cut if a young guy is even close to him in talent. Those salaries get to be rolled forward nowadays so I think 53-man cut dates around the league are going to be interesting.

8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    FTR, I don't give two ****s if the players LIKE or DON'T LIKE Philbin's approach. I like the things said about it, like "detail oriented" & "up-tempo/no huddle".

SICK likes this.
  9. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Yeah Sparano couldve made "tea-bagging" a normal conditioning activity, but if the dolphins were 42-6 in 3 years under his ruling, they would probably like his style :lol:

Aqua4Ever04 and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Whatever gets the players to play their hardest and train their hardest, when no one is looking, is the right approach..We'll see.

thisperishedmin and SICK like this.
  11. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    I'm sure there were buzzwords that were clinged onto regarding Sparano. Personally I'm refusing to get sucked into being overly optimistic until pre-season and even then my optimsm will be tempered until the regular season. Call me jaded because I am.

12. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I've yet to see anyone overly optomistic on this forum. We may have a different definition of the word. Dolfans, especially now, have no right to trust anything until they see it, and I believe thats the main thought process I have seen.

djphinfan likes this.
  13. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Sparano was also supposed to be very detail oriented. That was a buzz word that came out in the initial impressions of him from players and people around the program.

14. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Bottom line is, if Philbin can't rack up wins it doesn't matter if the players love him or hate him. And honestly, what player will have anything bad to say about a new coach? I'm as high on Philbin as anyone else. I get warm and tingly when he talks about QB metrics and love that he understands the fact that this is a passing league. But just like I didn't think Sparano's ****ty Gladiator speech last year amounted to a hill of beans, I'm not going to read too much into this. I just like our coach and will like him until he proves incapable of the job.

15. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Sparano was detail oriented, I just thought he focused on the wrong details. He was more about snap counts than the on-field mechanics. The lack of detail in their play-action passes, for example, always drove me nuts. The WCO has always been about timing so you expect there to be a lot of focus on route precision.

I don't know much about McCray, but there's no talent at S that's so over-whelming that I'd be shocked by an UDFA him.

MonstBlitz, ATLFINFAN and SICK like this.
  16. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

I expect us to draw more penalties this year. Based off these comments alone, actually.

17. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Talk..... Sounds nice but I think most of us....... most of us....... know none of it means squat especially this early on.

As CK pointed out, this type of talk we've all heard before about every incoming coach.

Time will tell period.

I'll take it all in and look for things that sound positive as well but to get all giddy about anything at this point is silly

18. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I was going to talk about that. Ricky Williams last off-season said that Sparano was too focused on details and tried to micromanage everything. Posters on TP parctically orgasmed at a new reason to get him fired. Here we have a new guy focused heavily on details and it's great. It all ultimately comes down to wins. People like what you do usually up until the time you start losing by it.

SICK likes this.
  19. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    :amen: This is EXACTLY what I wuz thinkin.

rafael likes this.
  20. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    This is what I didn't like about Sparanos practice approach, when one part of the team broke down in the game, he would talk after the next practice and say well, we spent the practice working on that facet..well, that sounds well and good, but if your spending the practice focused on one part of the game, then other parts are suffering, and that could impact the following week, it was always the same with the team, all parts could never play well together.

21. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I DID orgasm.

22. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Bess said:
    That to me is the kind of thing I want to hear.

I remember they said Sparano was stat oriented. I seem to recall him being like rainman when it came to stats. I don't remember players saying he was detailed oriented. Maybe they did, but I don't remember.

And for everyone else, that feels they need to come in and give the old, "talk is cheap, we've heard it before, doesn't matter till its on the field", please, with all due respect blow that talk up your butts. I'm allowed to be excited. Why do so many feel the need to **** all over the parade. From the info we've been privy to, I'm excited, so sue me.

I and everyone else knows damn good and well, results are all that matter. But let's take this approach to its logical conclusion. Success in the NFL is defined by winning the SB. So, until we're in it and win it, there's no need to get excited about a great catch or one win, cause none of that = SB victory.

So please, the next time anyone feels the need to tell me to temper my enthusiasm, please, keep it to yourself.

23. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    looks like there is a lot of positive & professional energy injected into the team with the new coaching cadre
    I repeat: 2012 is the year of The Coach! :dolphin:

24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The people who are over-enthused based on not a lot are often the same people that swing violently the other direction when faced with a lack of success. You're welcome to your optimism, but I'd rather feel optimistic about things that are more meaningful.

More detail oriented on wide receiver routes does not necessarily mean more detail oriented period, it just signals a focus on different things. That shouldn't be all that surprising as Green Bay was famed for their passing attack, whereas Tony Sparano's background and personality was more heavily invested in the ground game.

25. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Certainly not overwhelming talent but Chris Clemons and Reshad Jones are favorites of Jeff Ireland's while Tyrell Johnson seems more like a Kevin Coyle pick and Jimmy Wilson showed a lot of promise at the position a year ago before being moved back to corner, and meanwhile Tyrone Culver has always been a solid, reliable presence...so that does make it crowded.

26. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    ^This. I think Sparano was obsessed with meaningless statistics and I don't think he ever had any clue whatsoever what correlated most with winning in today's NFL even though it had been well documented. I loved when Philbin mentioned QB rating differential in his opening press conference.

rafael likes this.
  27. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I disagree, most people who are overly pessimistic generally are always that way and **** on everything. I'm neither overly optimistic or pessimistic so i don't understand why I'm not allowed to be excited without being told to temper my enthusiasm. I'd also like to say what gives you hope is awesome and great for you, but doesn't translate to me nor is automatically more meaningful.

I never said it was surprising, I said it made me happy. I'm happy that is being carried over to our team. I want to see a better passing attack. So, I'm very happy that at least from a coaching perspective based on the info we have now, that is direction we'll try to move.

28. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That was a highlight of that first press conference for me too. I had Philbin as my first choice back when most everybody was hoping for Cowher, Gruden, Fisher, etc., but it was largely based on hearsay and second-hand knowledge (in addition to liking his GB game plans). That quote helped solidify my belief that Philbin understood what it takes to win in today's NFL. Obviously, you need more than just understanding, but understanding is a big first step.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  29. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Can you explain the bolded part, please? Thank you.

30. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    And by the same token before Parcells ,we were often criticized for having an OL that was more finnesse than powerful .It seems we are looking for those finnesse and mobile players again.What goes around comes around .:yes:

31. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I messed that quote up a bit. Strike that "don't" from my second sentence. :lol:

Anyway, Philbin wasn't my first choice since I knew next to nothing about him but he won me over quick. When a coach understands how important things like TD/INT ratio, QB rating differential, etc. are to winning really the only thing I see impeding his success would be leadership skills and/or lack of talent. As opposed to Sparano who I think sometimes got in the way of talent with his bullheaded approach to the running game, tinkering with the line, lack of detail in the passing game, etc.

rafael likes this.
  32. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Cap space is rolled forward.

33. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Indeed. The contradictions are plentiful.

Like I said when things are bad, change in any form is appreciated. Some of the things discussed are good changes, but some is just change yet to be seen whether for better or worse.

34. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Please refrain from attacking one another. I've deleted posts in this thread. Consequences will be escalated next time anyone gives me the opportunity. Lets remain civil.

35. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    To be fair, I think snap counts are extremely important, especially with a young team.

The problem is when you ignore certain details. You need to be focused on every detail.

36. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Braylon Edwards' is still rehabbing his knee for anyone wondering why nobody has signed him yet.

37. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I'm pretty sure Philbin doesn't care about memorizing individual players' snap counts.

The new CBA lets teams take their unused cap space from one season and move it into the next season, like rollover minutes on a cell phone plan. If a team has $10 million free this year, they can add that $10 million free space to next year's cap.

38. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Every coach will focus on different areas and not every detail is equally important. As I said earlier, I hated how sloppy our play-action looked. Our QBs, RBs and OL half-assed it. IMO that reflects on the coaching. I defended Sparano in many areas, but that aspect of our offense (more under Henning than Daboll) was really poor. IMO Henning stopped focusing on the details by the time he got to us. He had CP that one year who in many ways did Henning's job in that regard, but other than that Henning's time here was horrid. IMO he was arguably the worst OC in the league most weeks. And Sparano should have kicked him to the curb or taken over long before he did.

Fin D likes this.