1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exlosiveness and Condition Training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Tone_E, May 3, 2012.

1. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    I want to begin running every morning, but as an amateur athlete, I don't want to just jog x kms a day. Jogging is great for conditioning, cardio, and stamina, but you ultimately loose explosiveness in lieu of all of that.

So I want to work on exercises that build speed and explosiveness while providing an increase in stamina.

I've looked on youtube and found these two videos.

[video=youtube;Wn6wy3C1h1k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn6wy3C1h1k[/video]

[video=youtube;AvqZvnFr630]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvqZvnFr630[/video]

My questions are;

1. These look like very short workouts. What else can I do everyday? Should I jog 1 or 2 kms before and after each sprint session? What other exercises can I do. How long should a session last?
    2. Is it detrimental to sprint train every weekday without rest days?
    3. If I use ankle and wrist weights, will that help as well, or create bad tendencies, form, and muscle memory?

Any help would be appreciated guys.

2. FasanoPaisano

FasanoPaisano Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Near People's Pizza
    I am not a personal trainer or anything, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express...some years back.

Since this is the Internet, take it FWIW:

1. Jogging wont help your speed/explosiveness unless you are trying to drop weight. There are better ways to do that than jogging. Find a steep hill and run your sprints on it instead of a flat surface. Drag or push something heavy....a sled, a heavy tire, a car....or a Prowler. Train the power clean if you have access to good olympic weights.
    2. Depends on your nutrition. There is no such thing as overtraining, only under nourishing.
    3. I would not use wrist/ankle weights. A weighted vest would be better for form/function. A cheaper option is probably to go to home depot and buy some heavy chain and wear/configure it in an X on your torso.

gunn34 and Tone_E like this.
  3. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    If you want to work on explosiveness use resistance...

4. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Thanks for the input bro! Any idea though how long a normal spring training session should be? I am looking for other exercises to add to my daily routine. Any ideas?

5. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Such as? A Nike parachute? I don't have a sled that I can run with...so, looking for some ideas.

6. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    do not use ankle or wrist weights, you'll end up injuring yourself if you sprint with those. i would jog with a weight vest, but do not do any sprints. And how old are you. all that sprinting stuff can wear you down if you're past your 30s, if not done very carefully.

Tone_E and finyank13 like this.
  7. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    right but that can get expensive...got to be creative here....

you want to resist straight line sprint speed in order to build speed, sounds weird I know...but examples would be shuttle runs, think stair sprints, got a backpack? Fill it up and strap it tightly to your person and do 200's at full sprint....

Also nothing builds speed like squats...go to a gym and do them.....many of them....just keep at it bro, ad you'll see gains....it is hard though because it is a very hard thing to improve....you know the old saying "you cant teach speed"?? I think everybody has a plateau on how fast they can run...

As far as conditioning just get on a track and run Forrest run.......

Tone_E likes this.
  8. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    I'm 31 years old, 5'-10" @ 172 lbs and play ball hockey;

[video=youtube;ahmiphcgW0Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahmiphcgW0Q[/video]

I'm also already one of the fastest guys in my league, but not nearly in the shape I used to be as an early 20 year old player. The teams I play against are only getting younger, and as a smoker, I can't keep up at the high intensity playing style I have - I try to exploit my speed every chance I get. As a center, I have to be a two way player, and is the most demanding position to play from that perspective.

I am not worried about injury or anything as I play 2-4 times a week.

I want more stamina, but not at the expense of speed. That is why I don't want to jog. If I can get stamina and improve my speed and explosiveness, I am all for it. I have a good base to start with. I am in good shape and already have a ton of speed, so this stuff is right up my alley.

I will mos. def. take everyone's advice and try to come up with a 5 day schedule that mixes everything in.

9. FasanoPaisano

FasanoPaisano Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Near People's Pizza
    Depends on your current fitness level before you blow your wad. I would start with rest:sprint time to be at a ratio of 2:1. So start with 30 second sprint, 60 second active rest (pushups, jump squats, etc...), or 60 second sprint, 2 minute active rest. Start with maybe 5-10 rounds. Your goal would be double your rounds, and reduce rest:sprint ratio to 1:1. My conditioning workouts are generally 20 minutes including warmup, and I only do 2-3 per week, but my overall goals are a bit different from yours.

Tone_E likes this.
  10. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Thanks again. I will def try the 2:1 with active rest and go from there. Ultimately, I want to be completely drained by the end of each session in the morning. Go to work to relax, and play hockey at night with an all new bad arse intensity level. lol

11. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    the sprint/jog thing is very popular now. I think that is what you are looking for. i did it for a very short time, but have a few friends who do it too. I have a pretty nice 400m public track by me. I would sprint the 100, and jog the other 300. you do 5-10 rounds of this, and you will be pretty beat. You can only sprint so much, especially when you are not in your 20s.

FY has a point too, and I squat regularly. Squats once a week will def help your explosiveness. dead lifts too, and promote overall power throughout.

Tone_E likes this.
  12. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    I don't have access to a gym or a track at the moment. Just an open field. So that means no squats.

At the end of the day the stamina is more important to me. I am fast enough, trust me, so if I can get slightly faster or slightly better acceleration during my routine, I will be ecstatic.