1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tannehill vs SMU

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dsteve, May 2, 2012.

1. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    Alot of time before training camp/preseason. How bout we have a weekly/biweekly thread dedicated to breaking down tannehill or any of our new rookies plays in college? Heres Tanny VS SMU. Pick one play that makes you love him and pick one play that makes you wonder.

My good play,around the 2:25 mark. Looks to his first look, slant and go to the outside, comes off that. checks another WR, anticipates the break down in the pocket and rolls out while keeping his eyes down field, pulls the saftey with his eyes and throws a 20-30 yard strike on the run for a touchdown.

Bad play at about 3:48, it's play action with a waggle to his open hand. He hits his WR for 10-15 yards but the seam/streak route was basically uncovered and he missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNcKHOJP-NQ

LandShark13 and CWBIII like this.
  2. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    At 3:40 he has a back in the flat and a wr coming out on the left side being trailed by a linebacker. Looks like Ryan gives a small pump fake to the back to to draw the linebacker in and free up the wide receiver for a decent gain.

3. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    I know it's hard but find a bad play too!

4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Watch the Iowa State game. He doesn't look as good in that game, IMO.

5. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    Maybe i'll do that one next. I was thinking the oka state game from last year.

6. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    I just watched the OK state game. Between SMU and OK State, I have noticed he REALLY doesn't throw a good deep ball.

7. DearbornDolfan

DearbornDolfan Active Member

Mar 7, 2009
    You know, that makes me wonder if it isn't a confidence issue. It's not like he doesn't have an arm, there aren't too many QBs who can throw a far side 18-yard out with accuracy and zip. Without looking at any of his deep throws, I'm willing to bet he's trying to heave the ball from a normal throwing stance rather than arching his back and letting it snap; that's exactly the sort of thing guys who aren't confident in their arm strength do.

8. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    i i attribute the deep ball stuff to having horrible WRS. a couple deep balls to fuller and he had no seperation. a couple others he just didnt make a good play on the ball.

9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    What I like about him is the first two plays, the ability on the run to keep vision on the target, keep the head steady while escaping danger, and then deliver the pass with good fundamentals from the waist down, I also love the seam route for 6 at 3:42 I believe to the tight end, he sees it, and puts the right amount of loft on the ball..

What I don't like is, he seems to have an issue identifying when his receiver is in danger and throwing it anyway, is bothers me tremendously, and Iam pretty sure it will result in multiple pick 6's, he's got to develope a better sense of awareness of the coverage, he looks great when the play goes according to plan, but when it doesn't, he's got to sense that and improvise, especially on the rocket screens.

Also at this point and time, his deep ball is not good, and to me, it's because he's not seeing it, he's just chucking it..I believe with him it's gonna be all about his inner tempo that he plays with, he's got to trust, relax, see the receiver deep, and use his talent to drive the ball off his fingertips to that target..not just a spot.

This may sound weird, but the way the ball comes off the fingertips can show true accuracy, when watching the greats if you look close, the ball can change flight plan at that last second, this is pinpoint accuracy, and Tom Brady is the best I've seen with it..

10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I think that does have something to do with it, however I also think he tends to underthrow a lot of his deep balls. At least the ones I have seen. I think he has the arm strength for them though.

11. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    One thing that gives me hope is that this kid demonstrated some high level play of the Qb position after transitioning from a completely different position, where he excelled..The things I criticize him for can hopefully be chalked up to just plain ole lack of exp..but to make that transition, and perform as a Qb, is quite unprecedented.

12. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That's the thing for me, the transition.

Every bust at QB, busts because they cannot make the transition. That to me proves "years at a position" don't mean squat. It seems the best chance of predicting if a guy will make it or not is what can these guys do in a pro offense. Tanny can basically do it all. The unprecedented thing is that he also shows he can make a drastic transition...and succeed.

When factor those things with him not having to struggle to learn the offense, I cannot imagine there have been very many rookie QBs that have a better shot of making it than Tanny.

13. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    If you go by what everyone says about him and what comes out of his mouth he has the drive to succeed. Still remains to be seen how true this is when he is in the NFL, however since he was working hard to work on his footwork to the left shows he is willing to work.

Fin D likes this.
  14. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    I dunno, I see deep balls to blanketed WRs that should make a play on the ball. if anything he shouldnt have made the the throw. There was one, I cant remember if it's in the game or not but he throws a deep post over the middle and fuller could have made a way better play on the ball.

15. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I have seen too many long passes to players who the ball is under thrown by a decent amount. Well about 3 or 4. I haven't seen too many deep balls that show it is a strength of his at this time.

Disclaimer of course is that the best deep ball I have ever seen is from Jamarcus Russell. So good deep ball isn't the be all and end all to being a good qb.

16. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    i just got done watcing the iowa state game....tons of drops. he missed what would have been six points on a busted coverage through the seam. fuller dropped a long TD but it should have been PI. A couple over throws on deep balls.

the story of the game though was the **** ton of drops but his horrible WRs.

17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    No but you want him to be able to see the deep ball, see the receiver, usually when they don't see it it's because their not comfortable waiting for it to develope, they rush the throw and throw to a spot....In that quick strike offense, and his lack of exp, he probably just hasn't got a lot of reps on that deep ball..It will be something to keep our eye on..

18. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I am open to that. I am happy he got the deep out and comeback timing route down. I think that is much more difficult to learn than the deep pass

19. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    good to very good accuracy.

Seems to already have decided where he is going with the ball before the ball is snapped.

Not reading the defense

too many quick throw designed plays makes me wonder. Is this just scheme or hiding the fact that he can't read a defense.

We will see

djphinfan likes this.
  20. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    A lot of the times making quick throws is reading the defense. They call it a "pre-snap" read.

21. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    While I am not down on Tannehill, a few thing I did notice. Early on he appears to lock onto receivers. The first few plays he was staring daggers at the guy he went to. Some forced throws, some overthrows.

I liked his elusiveness and presence in the pocket. The low throw on the slant was a good throw, a spot where only his guy could make the catch, but if he gets that throw up just a bit higher, that was a much bigger play.

All in all, not a shabby performance condensed into 5 minutes. There is definitely a good base to work from. I hope that he isn't rushed into play, as a year or so of working on mechanics and directing the field with his eyes will work wonders for Tannehill.

22. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    I could be wrong, but I think some of the routes where he lock eyes are where he is supposed to get the ball out quickly to one receiver. I noticed that the quicker players were the one where he tended to find his guy after the snap lock on and get the ball out to him quick. Usually these passes were completions. Then on the slower developing and deeper pass plays he would actually look off his receiver. Again I could be wrong, but that's what I saw.

23. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    It's hard to debate the lock on thing if you dont know the play call but i noticed they were all pretty much quick hitters as well. there are different ways quarterbacks in the nfl make plays like those without locking directly on a WR. its a small thing that will hopefully come with time.