1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What I'm seeing in BJ Cunningham's game

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Apr 29, 2012.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    [video=youtube;eBI3vVWIJ9w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBI3vVWIJ9w[/video]

Some folks don't like this pick, I find myself liking it a whole lot and here are the reasons why:

-he creates his own space, if you watch him in the EZ, he uses his hands and body to create his own space, which is incredibly hard to coach into a player, like rebounding in the NBA you either have that skill or you do not.

-great concentration on the ball, in that sense he is sort of the anti Brandon Marshall, with him the ball is always alive if it is near him

-reminds me a lot of fmr Eagle/Vikng/Dolphin great Wr Chris Carter in a lot of ways, the body control and concentration and creating his own space are Carteresque imo

Now for weaknesses:

-I suspect he will be dinged a lot in his first couple of yrs as he is fearless over the middle, and the stuff he got away with in college is going to lead to "you got jacked up" type of hits

-functional speed, he plays faster then he times, but you can kinda tell he is not a burner

-would like to see him work the sidelnes more often, granted it is a short highlight video, but with his body control/concentration, he should be using the sidelines to his advantage more often

-remains to be seen if he can beat press coverage, he has the hands for it, but as I watch I'm not seeing a Cb lined up on his head at the LOS, in that sense we will have a good feel for what he "is" by reading about his camp battles with Sean Smith and VD.

Jcouch1021 likes this.
  2. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    In other words a Green Bay WR prototype who is not a speed demon but is agile enough to make a move and get open.How many WR positions can he play?
    Looks like Philbin had his hands all over this pick.Should make the PS.

3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, recall Brandon Marshall doing that tread mill work last offseason to boost his speed?

I sort of think Cunningham really needs to do something like that prior to the season to boost his speed from functional to threatening, that and he will need lots of work at escaping jams at the LOS as his value is more inside the 20 yd line and he has to beat press coverage to by effective in the EZ.

4. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Does he have YAC potential?

5. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't mind this pick. I see some of the same things you saw, but I see more of them in Matthews.

6. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Great breakdown, I agree with all of it...

I realize this will come off as homerism, but check the MSU Nebraska film for press coverage. Cunningham was matched up against Dennard, for the most part and IIRC, that was the game that broke his consecutive receptions streak of 41 games. Cunningham was also double covered most of the game and almost always had a CB at his hip.

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    IMO he does, if one notices he is fearless at running slants and most of his long plays came off of that route.

His problem is going to be man press coverage, if he could line up at the slot I'd feel a bit better about his chances to make an impact.

Rafi likes Matthews, IDK, what I did not like about his game is his plays came when he was "college" open, as in no defender within 2-3 yds of him, not sure how that will translate in the NFL.

8. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I watched a lot of UNR games out here. Matthews game is mostly outs and curls where he sets them up with good routes and pushes off to get separation. I would say he does that better than BJ (and I see that as a strength of BJ's game). Even on the long passes you see in the Matthews' highlights, they were more a result of route running than scheme or just blowing by everybody with speed.

9. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    I like both of the picks. Maybe one of the two will pan out as a good one. Matthews can end up being a great bargain.

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Thing is, Db's are better at pattern reading etc, how will he perform when they are not biting on the curls and outs?

I have a good idea of what Cunningham can do in that situation, Matthews I simply cannot project one way or another.

I happened to check out Jeff Fuller's stuff and he strikes me as a bit of a Pat Turner type, he is really going to have to bust his butt to up his game or he won't make it. Simplest thing that dude can do is become stronger.

If Miller is 215 and plays like he is 190, Fuller is 220 but plays like he is 150 in terms of toughness and tackle breaking ability, he is sort of the anti Marshall in that sense, he goes down if a stiff breeze blows by him.

11. gamblerx

gamblerx New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Homestead, FL
    I love your optimistism, Padre.

12. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't see why. Matthews is more nuanced in his route running and his faster 3-cone (6.88 vs. 7.10) suggests he's probably quicker out of his breaks. Matthews is also as good if not better at pushing off. There's also not much difference in size (Matthews is a little taller), although Matthews is faster. If anything, there should be more confidence about what Matthews will do against NFL DBs than Cunningham will.

13. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    When Randall Cobb started making plays for the packers last season I knew that their scheme was just built for wrs to make plays. I'm not knocking Cobb but on that team with that receiving core it was impressive to see him even get the ball thrown his way, much more so perform so well at times.

What I'm saying is, in Philbins offense, every wr is a #1 and every wr is a #2 and a #3.

Greg Jennings is the packs #1 right? But some would argue it's Nelson depending on what game your seeing. Also, despite his age, driver was still making plays left and right. And then there's Cobb.

This is why Cunningham might be a difference maker for us, even as a late round pick. The idea is that anyone who does their job right could get the ball with a chance to do something with it

Fin D likes this.
  14. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think the packers are deft at identifying talent, Iam not in the group that thinks that packer receivers are a product of the system.

15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We shall see, I suspect Cunningham is a bit more crafty then Matthews but only time will tell.

16. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I'm just wondering what you're basing it on. Even in the highlight videos posted here you're seeing Matthews pushing off and gaining separation so it can't be that. Why are you saying BJ is craftier and that you know what he'll do against NFL CBs?

CWBIII likes this.
  17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    You saw the same stuff as I have you tell me.

I'd suggest you watch the "how" he is doing it along with the "when".

18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    This is not a fancrush just yet Gamblerx, a guy like this we'll know really quickly what he is.

19. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The "how" and "when" on the video you posted is mostly non-existant since the highlights are almost all of him already open or making catches where he didn't separate. But watching his games when I was evaluating Cousins, I would say that they show a guy who is less nuanced and no better at pushing off than Matthews.

CWBIII likes this.
  20. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    This is simply not true. Greg Jennings ran a 4.4. Jordy Nelson, a big WR (6'2, 217) ran a 4.49 (fast for that size esp. the last 20).

Cunningham ran a 4.6 (4.59) at the Combine. Could he surprise? Yes. But, there's a reason he and the other kid (who also has some potential) were drafted in round 6 & 7.

21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Of course.

When he spun away from the Db in the EZ, totally comparable to Matthews running free in the secondary, I can see where you get that from.

22. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

The Packers receivers are a product of astute talent evaluation by their college scouts.

djphinfan likes this.
  23. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Two 4.6 guys? Be still my heart.....

24. MrClean

Not to rain on your continual parade of negativity, but Matthews ran 4.44-4.48 at the Nevada Pro Day. He was running on a sprained MCL at the combine.

Cunningham, btw, ran 4.55 at the combine, according to PFW.

dolfan22 and Fin D like this.
  25. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Logic and reason have no place here.

Fin D likes this.
  26. Great highlight video.

Sent from the depths of hell
    using Tapatalk.

27. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Wow, way to be ridiculous. If you look at any highlights for Matthews, you should see several plays where he gets separation on outs and curls. Those would be the plays you'd want to compare. Watch what each player does to get separation.

28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    BJ gets his yac with his strength, he carries some players, and he's just tough to bring down, one of those players that's gonna fight for every yard.

29. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    I'm going with the stats I see in the local papers, thanks.

OK, which one of these guys is going to be our #1 WR to replace Marshall?

And if you are one of those guys who thinks we don't need a #1, I have a bridge.....

30. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Your local papers are wrong, they needed to be corrected..Why are you insulting people's intelligence? Because he corrected your stats?

31. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Kudos on the bridge. Most people don't need one of those either. What'd you have it built out of?

djphinfan and Fin D like this.
  32. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    People get *****y when their beliefs are challenged.

His posts have been a steady stream of hate rhetoric towards the team/FO. The draft was better than he's willing to admit. So he lashes out, not because we questioned his beliefs but because he has and that makes him angry.

Basically the CLB (Chicken Little Brigade) has converted into the SVC (Sandy Vag Cooperative), when we don't win the Super Bowl this coming season, they'll morph into something much more sinister, which, I hope, is Jets fans.

Jcouch1021 and djphinfan like this.
  33. DearbornDolfan

DearbornDolfan Active Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Philbin doesn't think we need a #1. Especially the sort of #1 who gets that appellation by being an early draft pick. Jordy Nelson (who I love, being a K-State fan) is the highest drafted WR they have and he was taken in the 2nd round, I'll trust the GB style of WR talent evaluation and coaching given how stupidly deep they are at the position. Further, given how unimpressive anybody but Bess and Hartline have been over the past couple of seasons, I think there's a good chance both of our draft picks will stick on the roster and receive significant playing time.

34. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Lol..at least make it less obvious you are not attacking someone because of your bitterness..It reminds me of the movie tommy boy, where David spade keeps putting Chris Farley in his place, but Farley's character isn't the brightest of bulbs, so his retort is always the same...something like, " yeah...we'll, yur yur the one that's stupid"

35. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Greg Jennings was also taken in the 2nd round. As was Randall Cobb. James Jones was taken in the 3rd. I think Driver was the only low round guy that made an impact for GB.

So how exactly does that compare with our two 4th rounders, 3 UDFAs, including Bess, and a 6th and 7th?

Everyone here acts like GB ignored the WR position in the draft, and just has a bunch of guys.

I guess I'm in the minority here, I would have targeted a potential starter at WR in the 3rd, rather than a back up tight end.

36. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    We had plenty of holes to fill. We cannot fill them all in one off season even if we use your grumpy magic. They don't think WR was as important a hole to fill this off season...deal with it.

37. MrClean

That's nice. Have you considered jumping off it?

38. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Sorry if I upset both your delicate sensibilities by disagreeing with you.

Deal with it.

39. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    :lol:

Come on guys. Let's just take advantage of the ignore feature and not stoop to this level. No matter how witty and funny the joke was....:lol:

40. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    This is not disagreeing..

" I'm going with the stats I see in the local papers, thanks.

OK, which one of these guys is going to be our #1 WR to replace Marshall?

And if you are one of those guys who thinks we don't need a #1, I have a bridge....."

That's you insulting a man that knows the game.