1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mock Draft (without Tannehill)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Miamifins854, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Miamifins854

Miamifins854 Finkle is Einhorn

Dec 15, 2007
    UCF
    This is my mock draft without Tannehill. I see a lot of signs pointing towards him, but this is a direction I hope to see our draft go if we decide to stick with Moore.

#8 - Quinton Coples DE, UNC - Coples is a physical specimen. Even though he is said to have some concerns about work ethic, he is the most talented pass-rusher in this draft. Combining Coples and Wake automatically makes the Dolphins defense more of a threat.

#42 - Bobby Massie OT, Ole Miss - Since this draft is full of talented receivers, this is the place to get a right tackle that has the ability to start from day one. Massie has the ability to be a very good player, he just needs to improve on technique and consistency.

#72 - A.J. Jenkins WR, Illinois - Jenkins is one of my favorite receivers in this draft. From what I have seen, he is almost a perfect fit for a west coast offense and has a tremendous ability to generate yards after the catch. This would be a great addition in the third round. The only downside to this pick, in my opinion, is with some of the durability issues Jenkins has had. If he can stay healthy, Jenkins has the potential to be a good player in the NFL.

#73 - Tank Carder ILB, TCU - If Miami is switching to the 4-3, this would be a solid pickup. Carder has shown the physical skills as a tackler and a coverage linebacker. He would also benefit from learning from players like Dansby and Burnett.
    ---or---
    Brandon Brooks OG, Miami of Ohio - Jeff Ireland has shown a tendency to double up on positions of need. The pick of Bobby Massie takes care of the offensive tackle need, while drafting a player like Brooks would help create competition on the interior offensive line. Brooks is a very strong lineman and would create great value. With these mid-round picks, you usually won't hit a home run - but you can definitely find a player that will be a long term starter in the NFL. Brooks has that ability if he proves to have a hard work ethic.

#103 Russell Wilson QB, Wisconsin - This may be a round too early, or may be the opportune time to draft Wilson. Besides being "too short" to play QB in the NFL at 5'11, Wilson has shown that he can be developed into an NFL quarterback - especially in the west coast system.

#145 Keith Tandy CB, West Virginia - A solid corner in college who had a knack for finding the ball. You can never have enough contributing defensive backs in the NFL today. Tandy is a player who could see the field in nickel and dime formations early on and maybe even develop into a pretty good player.

#196 Devon Wylie WR, Fresno State - Wylie is an interesting player. He is fast and athletic with a good set of hands. If a team values him, he might not be here in the 6th round. He has the ability to be a return man as well as a contributor on special teams. It would be in Wylie's best interest to try to bulk up a little bit in the NFL because he concerns some with his ability to stay healthy.

#215 Drake Dunsmore FB/TE/HB, Northwestern - Dunsmore is a versatile player, similar to Charles Clay. While Clay is set to play more as a tight end, Dunsmore could translate into a quality fullback. With the new offense, Miami will expect to get production even out of the fullback position. Dunsmore is a decent blocker and has good ball skills.

2. seabass0795

seabass0795 New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    I like the idea of no Tannenhill, and instead getting a pass rusher. For some reason the only guy I want us to get in the first is Ingram. I think the guy will really excel and with him and wake we would destroy

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Well, I absolutely love the Carder, Wilson, and Wylie picks, dreamin a bit though because Wylie will be off the board way before..disagree with your first three though, I think we need playmakers on offense, and Brandon Weeden.

4. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I'm not feeling Coples anymore...he seems more like a 3-4 end rather then a 4-3 end. If were avoiding QB's I'd go with:

#1) LUKE KUECHLY, LB, BOSTON COLLEGE or DAVID DECASTRO, OG, STANFORD
    Luke could let Dansby play the SAM and I'd start using Dansby more as a pass rusher. If not Luke, DeCastro would give us a hell of a C-LG-LT line despite the cries from the fanbase. He immediately replaces Incognito. But then I love me some OL.

#2)CHANDLER JONES, DE, SYRACUSE or BOBBY MASSIE, OT, MISSISSIPPI
    Now of course these are dependent on whether we are running more of a 4-3 (Then Luke is the pick followed by Massie) or 3-4 (Then DeCastro is the pick followed by Jones). Either way edge rusher would be sorted in one way or another as I believe Wake/Starks/Odrick/Dansby could provide enough rush if we went with the Luke pick). Don't mistake this as taking 2 OL in the first 2 picks..it's not what I am doing here.

#3)MOHAMED SANU, WR, RUTGERS
    Now some peg him as a 2nd rounder however his lack of big plays (something like only 4 career catches over 20 yards) and questionable 40 time might make him slide to his pick (and he did slide to the 3rd in the Club Level mock)
    #3) BRANDON BROOKS, OG, MIAMI
    I take him regardless of the first 2 picks. Need to keep on him about his weight, but brings solid athletic ability and strength to the inside. Plug him in at RG and let Hicks/Garner/Jerry compete at RT if DeCastro's the pick. If Massie is the pick well then still plug him at RG and that right side of the line is complete and they can worry about replacing Incognito next year.

#4) RON BROOKS, CB, LSU
    With Jimmy Wilson moving to S I don't think the Dolphins will pick up a safety even by the 4th. They got a lot of bodies to play with at Safety. However, we can't keep relying on Nolan Carroll to play significant snaps at CB. This also is a guy you bring in to basically make Sean Smith either step up or move aside. Davis/Marshall/Brooks/Smith and then leave Carroll as the 5th man. With the addition of Marshall/Brooks it's hoped that the team can improve on it's 25th rated pass defense.

#5) MARVIN MCNUTT, WR, IOWA
    I don't know that he makes it to the 5th round, but a lot of places do have him available for the taking in the 5th so I'll run with it. This is the double up WR move. In fact I'd still bring an undrafted WR or 2 in such a deep class to insure the overhaul at WR takes.

#6) OLIVIER VERNON, DE, MIAMI (FLA.)
    Raw pass rush prospect

#7) TAVON WILSON, FS, ILLINOIS
    Throwing one last body in the mix for the FS battle.

So I think we pretty much agree on our OL guys but not much else except maybe that later CB.