1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finsbuck719, Apr 14, 2012.

1. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Literally coming up with this on the spot right now...

Trades:
    1.8 to the Eagles for 1.15, 2.51

2.42, 5.145, future 5th round pick to the Bucs for 2.36

Brian Hartline to the Jaguars for 6.176

It's hard to predict a trade down from 8, cause I can't see many teams looking to trade up. However, if Tannehill is there and we don't want him, I've heard a few people say the Eagles might be interested in making a move for him. If those sources are wrong, I could possibly even see them moving up to get Fletcher Cox, since they are in need of a DT imo and with the very few needs that team has + the fact that I think Cox is by far the best DT prospect available, they might move up...who knows though.

As for the 2nd trade, I feel like we might just move up a few spots to ensure drafting Alshon Jeffery, rather than him possibly being taken by the Browns. Plus, I don't want this front office with a 5th round pick. I just know it will be a safety.

After drafting Chris Givens, I figured we would try and move Hartline and try and pick up something for him. A 6th round pick seems reasonable.

----

1.15- DE, Nick Perry. It's probably a reach and ideally I'd like to move down into the 20s, but it's going to be hard to move down and Perry is without a doubt the best pass rushing DE in my opinion. Reminds me of another Cam Wake. We need to get Wake help on the opposite side and give us an insurance incase Wake doesn't get a new contract by next year. DE, is probably our biggest need over all even though I think we need to focus heavily on offense.

2.36- WR, Alshon Jeffery. How smart would this front office look if they replace Brandon Marshall, with a close of himself, minus the $14mil contract and minus the Bi-polar disorder?

2.51- QB, Brock Osweiler. Probably my favorite QB prospect after Luck/RG3. I think he would fit perfectly in our WC offense. As much as I love Brandon Weeden and as much as I could care less about his age (I still think he's going to be a hell of an NFL QB), I would like to get younger on offense as we increase talent, so we can potentially build an offense that can dominate for many years. But, since we are the Miami Dolphins, that probably won't happen.

3.72- WR, Chris Givens. Got some speed to him, as well as decent size. imo, a solid replacement for Hartline. A few years younger with more upside and I like Givens in a spread, WC offense. Givens lit up Jayron Hosely last year, including torching him on one bomb. In all honesty, I don't see us being a contender for another couple seasons and I wouldn't even mind starting the season with a rookie at QB (Osweiler) and two starting rookie WRs (Jeffery, Givens). Would be kind of interesting. Although, I'd still like to see Matt Moore start.

3.73- CB, Chase Minnifield. I realize he didn't have a blazing 40 time and he came in smaller than most people expected, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he is a freakish athlete and has some of the best coverage skills in this draft. I don't understand how he went from an early 2nd projection (I actually had him going in the 1st in all my mocks) to a 3rd-4th round projection. Give me this guy and have a 3 way competition between SS24, Jimmy Wilson, and Minnifield for the other starting CB job.

4.103- RB, Cyrus Gray. I like this guy a lot. I'm telling you all, Reggie Bush is not going to repeat what he did last year. Not with this O-line. I still want to see him used more at WR also and see more of D.Thomas and then a guy like Gray spelling him, with Bush getting 10 carries a game or so but being focused more as a receiver.

6.176- OG, Rishaw Johnson. Just some depth help on the O-line.

6. 196- TE, Chase Ford. Some more competition at TE. Has to be better than at least Mastrud or Yeatman right?

7th round pick (idk the number)- OT, Joe Long. Why not?

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  2. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Not a big fan of trading Hartline for a 6th. I feel like he is more productive than a 6th will ever be on this team. Eagles trading up for Cox could be a strong possibility.

3. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Hartline has the value of a late third IMO.

4. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    I also think Hartline can thrive in this new system. Jeffery in the 2nd would be a GREAT pick. I think if Weeden isn't the guy for the 2nd round I think Randle or Jeffery is.

5. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    would love jerffery I think he has the most talent at the wr pos in this draft but hes also the highest risk player hard to know if hes a lazy player or what with him having weight issues

6. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Def think Hartline is worth more than a 6, love trading down, love Nick Perry...not a fan of Osweiler because its hard to teach accuracy.

MAFishFan likes this.
  7. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I have to share this. I'm participating in #MockFour which can be followed on MockOne.net. The idea is to get 32 famous draftniks to be GMs of teams, also designating assistants that help those GMs do some legwork. Trades are part of it, which makes the whole thing pretty nerve racking and realistic.

At #8 I picked Quinton Coples, then traded up from #42 to #21 to take Brandon Weeden in exchange for #72 and #103.

Thing is:

1. I had the agreement w/ the Bengals owner for trading up from pick #42 to #21 before I took Coples, but kept it secret until Cincinnati was up to pick at #21.

2. I discerned correctly that @FtblSickness and @BrendanLeister, the Browns GM and assistant, were both big fans of Weeden and wanted him at 22, even willing to move up to get him.

3. I engaged in a series of smokescreens to prevent Cleveland from trading up for fear of me doing the same. I sent several tweets w/ hash tag #MockFour soliciting trades from 42 to "the late 20's or early 30's". I also texted from my phone a fake DM to my assistant @PFF_Alex, saying "DN PFF_Alex I'm on text. Have you heard back about 29? There's no way he takes BW at 22." Then I deleted that tweet 10 minutes later as if I realized my horrible mistake.

4. All very cheesy, but here's the kicker...it worked. @BrendanLeister and @FtblSickness both admit A) They were taking Weeden at #22, and B) They had serious discussions w/ Titans at #20 to move up, as they were worried about me trading up to 21, but decided against it because they'd seen my tweets, including the "mistake" DM that I deleted.

I win the Internet.

8. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Take this however you wish.....

Id pick you over Ireland everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

GARDENHEAD and poli33 like this.
  9. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Is that draft game going to happen?

10. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    Hartline for a 6th? :no:

Steve-Mo likes this.
  11. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I agree that Hartline, if traded would not be worth more than a sixth round pick. He is a very mediocre receiver who fails to show up in many games during the regular season.

As far as the Dolphins first round selection. Considering how terrible Ireland has been in his selections in the second round of the draft, I do not want the Dolphins to trade down in the first round just to pick up an additional second round pick. I want them to keep the eight pick in the draft and use this pick to select, Luke Kuechly. I think Kuechly will be a dominant LB in the NFL for several years to come and he would certainly be a major upgrade over Misi.

12. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Hartline didn't get many balls tossed his way some games. We were trying too hard to stroke BMs ego.

13. MAFishFan

MAFishFan Team Tannehill

Sep 20, 2011
    Massachusetts
    No to Osweiler. If they can't get Tannehill or Weeden, I wouldn't even draft a QB this year. None of the other QB's in this draft appear to be anything more than backups. That's obviously and opinion, but do you really see any of those other QB's EVER starting and making a difference? I don't. And this is the Miami conundrum. Just good enough, but not bad enough and afraid to reach and take a possible impact player like Tannehill at 8. Weeden WILL NOT be avail in the 2nd. So if they decide to pass on Tannehill at 8 or he's gone before then, they'll need to secure Weeden before KC picks.

14. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think Osweiller is unlikely to ever start an NFL game. And I see Alshon Jeffrey as the next Mike Williams. Not the one that's still playing, but the Detroit first round pick/bust nobody remembers. I see Givens as a less physical, less athletic version of Hartline. Trading Hartline for a 6th and then using a 3rd to add a lesser version makes no sense to me. I do like Nick Perry.

15. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Very well written OP.

I agree we'd have trouble getting more than a 6th for Hartline so we might as well keep him.

I cant really comment any further on it b/c I skipped going draft crazy this year. Instead I'm taking the same approach my wife takes to sex: "just tell me when it's over".

finsbuck719 likes this.
  16. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

The Mike Williams nobody remembers made a come back last 2 seasons with the Seahawks. Had a pretty good 2010, with 65 catches.

17. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Maybe he is thinking of the Jacksonville Mike Williams

18. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    go re-watch the games if you really think this BM had 4 man coverage roll his way and Hartline still couldn't get open

19. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    no body really knows

we do have several verifiable pundits & their opinions always & rightfully carry more weight on the board
    although
    I see things simply: Tannehill will be a Miami Dolphin @ 8 if he is on the board when we pick.
    then, after the first round, BPA regardless of position

the draft is always a gamble, there are no sure things
    having said that
    I think we may pick up an upgrade or two via BPA

I think the basic talent is already on the roster, there are no real needs
    the only thing really broken, we got rid of: Sparano & Henne
    I see no glaring holes in the overall team to amount that absolute needs

this will be the year of the Coaching Cadre making the difference

20. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    So whoever is lucky enough to draft Jeffrey can look forward to having to cut him and hope that he learns how to get separation in the NFL with a later team?