1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draft Winds - Ryan Tannehill

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Conuficus, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/spo...g/2012/04/draft_winds_breaking_down_ryan.html

There were supposed to be 2 videos, but they are not there. I'll contact Dave to see if he can drop them in.

SICK, djphinfan, Steve-Mo and 10 others like this.
  2. Yetanotherfan

Yetanotherfan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Conuficus likes this.
  3. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Awesome read. Judging by those stats, is it safe to say ... he wasn't all that great with the deep ball>?

Conuficus likes this.
  4. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Thanks.

To be honest I don't think he's very accurate with it. Some of it may be mechanics as his arm slot varies, but he would put balls out of bounds, underthrow them or basically put the ball in spots that I wouldn't describe as ideal. He didn't always give his man a chance to make a play, but, mind you his receivers didn't always help either. But, honestly it needs work as it is an issue moving forward.

And, I hate to say it, but that part of his game along with the propensity to put the ball half a beat behind where it should be does remind me of Chad Henne. Not much else does, but those two things stick out to me.

5. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    I assume Five Yards and Under equals 1 to 5 yards, and Ten Yards and Under equals 6 to 10 yards etc?

Or did you intend to include the former in the latter as it reads.....?

6. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Great article, looks like Miami is looking at CB a little more than many of us thought.

7. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    How did I include the former into the latter? I don't think it reads that way, (it certainly wasn't meant to) there are different sections each pass can fall into. They are divided by 5 yard incriments and it only refers to the length of the pass itself, not any YAC involved.

5 yards and under refers to any throw in that range that isn't a screen pass. 10 yards and under refers to 6-10 yards. If they were connected together it would be easier to just do 10 yards and under, but I wanted to separate them into different lengths as the passes are different. If the pass was a shade over 5 yards say, it went into the 10 yards and under category.

None of the numbers are combined unless we are talking about in reference to his total number of passes for the 4 games I listed.

8. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I dont think he's worth the 8th pick.

9. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.

Because 10 yards and Under can also mean 1 to 10 yards, which is inclusive of Five Yards and Under. I guessed you did not mean that from the numbers but it was somewhat ambigious.....

Thanks for the hard work though!!!

10. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Con, with Tannehill having limited experience at QB, how much of his deep ball accuracy issues do you feel rests on lack of repetition?

What I'm saying is, with Ryan being inexperienced and playing "catch up" at the position, wouldn't coach Sherman want him working more on specific aspects of his game to get him up to speed [at the expense of the vertical game], namely the 15 yard and under throws that are the staple of his offense? That's what I'd think at least.

Great write up by the way, brother. :knucks:

11. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Thanks. I try.

I don't know about that, but given that he was likely throwing a ball as well sitting in on meetings I find it doubtful that he didn't throw the deep ball at all. It just seems odd that that would happen given the other work being done. What I mean is why work hard on everything else but exclude that, when all signs point to Ryan being a hard working detail oriented kind of player. Just seems like that would a big oversight.

Hey, you could be right, I can't say you're definitely wrong by any means, but I think that his mechanical issues (arm slot) will only be magnified as the throw is longer. Because being a just off on a short throw is a lot easier to hide - shorter distance to travel means any trajectory or aiming issues will be minimized - compared to when you throw 25 yards down the field. If you're a little off at the start, you'll be way off at the end. There's just more time and distance involved which allows for any variances to show up as in the end the affect of such inconsistencies will be magnified.

Basically if the ball is off by 2 inches at the start, it's going to be more than that at the end of the throw. What the ratio is in terms of how exponential the distance will increase on a longer throw but I can't see it getting more accurate if you're off at the start.

If you like baseball look at A. J. Burnett throw, he can't find the same arm slot and watch what it does to some of his pitches - he'll be over a foot off target from just 60 feet away.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  12. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Thanks.

See here's the thing if I do 5 yards and under and then 6-10 yards where would a 5.5 yard pass fall? It isn't 6 yards long and its over 5 yards. One throw you can kind of fudge, but when you're dealing with 165 of them, fudging means you're likely way off on any information you'll gleam from that examination.

Plus as you can see one section can see a big variance in completion percentage, lumping them together would only indicate that someone had issues, or success at that length and would hide some inefficiency or efficiency as the numbers would be blended.

SICK likes this.
  13. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I was a pitcher and QB for a bit so I completely understand what you're saying. That's why I'm wondering if much of his deep ball stuff was simply from lack of reps. I didn't mean to say that Sherman & Tannehill didn't practice the vertical game; I'm just thinking they took away from some of those reps in order to spend more on the aspect of the game that would be utilized the most (short to intermediate). In the games you charted, he had 132 passes from 15 yards and under compared to 33 passes of 16 yards plus. So, 80% of his pass attempts were in the 15 yard and under range. With an inexperienced QB, I'd think you'd want him as sound as possible in that 80% range, which might mean taking reps away from the vertical game to help get him up to speed faster.

What you're saying about his mechanics is one reason why I was thinking the above to be true b/c in my eyes there's a noticeable difference between his deep ball mechanics (consistency-wise) compared to the short to intermediate game.

Isn't that what pass rushers do?---- work on and try to master the most important moves before adding to the repertoire?

14. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    This is by far the best article on Tannehill I've read. I appreciate the honest review of the good and the bad. I am in agreement a lot of the bad can be corrected through coaching and time. If he puts the time in to improve on these areas, he could be a solid starter for a long time in this league.

I can't remember exactly, but weren't there questions about Aaron Rodgers deep ball accuracy coming out of college as well? I could be wrong about that, but he turned out to be ok.

SICK and Conuficus like this.
  15. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    This is just one scouting report, but no, his deep ball wasn't an issue.

http://www.draftinsiders.com/node/1288

Jeez reading that thing how did he not go first. Why the draft is such a crap shoot.

SICK and Rhody Phins Fan like this.
  16. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I know I'm going to enjoy reading this.