1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DC Comics New 52 and Batman

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by finsincebirth, Apr 12, 2012.

1. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    A while ago Nabo started a thread about DC comics relaunching their line, and I know several of the guys were upset because they had grown up with these stories. However for me it has been nice, because I was too young when comics were at the most popular point. I've always wanted to read the Batman comics but now most of the story lines are so convoluted that I don't know where to begin. I know that Frank Millers The Dark Knight and a few others are classics, but this concept allows me to read Batman from the 'new' beginning. Unfortunately however there are several comics in the batman line. There are Batman, Batman and Robin, Dark Knight and Detective comics. I've started reading the dark knight, but I was wondering if anyone here are reading the comics. Any of you guys still read comics or have a suggestion for which to read?

2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I've been avoiding them. Would like to hear if any old-timers like me have started reading them and have enjoyed reading them before I look into em.

3. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    I've been reading them on my tablet. The digital issues only cost about 2 bucks, and the color on the tablet looks great. The Dark Knight has been kind of meh. In the first three issues I've seen three different versions of bat girl and the flash show up. Wasn't really enjoying it to much. A couple of people online have suggested Batman, so I think I will check that out.

4. 366vektorprime

366vektorprime BAAAAANGGG!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 29, 2008
    India
    Try 'BATMAN: HUSH'
    and 'THE KILLING JOKE'. 'BATMAN: YEAR ONE'. I've read the first and the last. The middle one was suggested to me online.

finsincebirth likes this.
  5. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Read Marvels Ultimate stuff.

6. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    Any particular reason why? Also isn't ultimate spiderman the one where they killed spidey and replaced him the that miles kid?

7. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    "Ultimates" is written by Jonathan Hickman who in my opinion is one of the best comic writers out there and it is the best of the three Ultimate titles. Ultimate Spiderman was replaced by Miles after the Green Goblin killed him during ultimate fallout. The other book is Ultimate X-Men which is great too. The great thing is they are all amazing books that stand alone and you wont have to read a whole bunch of other stuff to understand whats going sort of like the DC 52 intiative but with way less tiles.

8. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    They also just launched a TV. show Ultimate Spiderman, and a Ultimate Spiderman comic that I think is based off the show.

9. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I havent seen the show so I cant say whether or not its based on the comic.

10. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    A milestone marker I had placed in my life was living to see Action Comics #1,000. Well, after hearing what D.C. decided to do: FML.

I've been off and on with comic books over the years. It's a cycle. I start back up again with 1 or 2 titles. Then realize I need to read 5 other books to know what's going on in the others. Before you know it I'm up to over $100 a month. Then I quit cold turkey. Repeat. Before I quit last time around I was really into the New Avengers. Wasn't a big fan of the Ultimate Spider Man stuff.

11. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    That's kind of where I was with comics in general. There have been so many story lines and so much retconning going on that it would cost more money than I care to invest to get a good back story. With new 52 it's like I'm starting over from the beginning, well mostly (in new Batman) they do reference Tim Drake, Dick Grayson and Damian Wayne. Also like I said earlier the digital additions are cheap. Like 1.99 an issue for batman and I think 3.99 for the new amazing spiderman ends of the earth book (really good story by the way). Check out the comixology app. It's basically the kindle app for comics for smart phones and tablets.