1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami Dolphins: Pros & Cons To First Round Options from The Sun-Sentinel

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Onehondo, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Miami Dolphins: Pros & cons to first-round options Sun Sentinel by: Omar Kelly

First-round picks are like ice cream flavors. Everyone likes a different favorite. Here’s a list of the five possibilities for the Miami Dolphins at pick No. 8, and the pros and cons to pulling the trigger on each. And they are ranked based on my humble opinion.

Here is link to full article;

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...olphins-pros-cons-to-first-round-options.html

A lot of sports media sources are now starting to see us passing on Ryan Tannehill in the first round and instead picking UNC defensive end Quinton Coples. They see the risk as too great. They warn against drafting for need and instead taking an immediate impact player at #8.
    If Ireland and company are following the trend or this line of thinking, (not saying copying trend) then maybe we are considering Weeden or Osweiler or maybe someone else in the later rounds?

Can a Mod please go in and change my title to Sun Sentinel from Palm Beach Post as it was made in error. Thanks,

2. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Two more weeks and the debate will be all over. Going to be a long two weeks.

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  3. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I think Coples would be the absolute worst possible pick for us at #8. Even if he plays at a high level, the impact he'll have on this team in terms of overall improvement would be minimal, IMHO. Throw in the work ethic concerns and it has disaster written all over it.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  4. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    How has Blackmon dropped so far in the eye of the "experts"? Seems like their opinions are media driven in the sense that Richardson is now top 5!?!

5. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Seems like the media is all over the board except for Luck and RGIII.

6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I finally realized why Omar used to say "deuces" all the time.

He's letting us know every time he takes a dump on the internet.

Desides likes this.
  7. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie

Yeah, the draft always feels like forever away.

8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    He doesn't have elite size or speed.

9. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Seriously? 4.45 seems fine for his style of play...at least his balls are elite, I mean, he feckin' single-handedly won that bowl game

10. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    It's like the "OM" at the end of a shi++y mantra...He had to be an affirmative action hire. Man does he suck at tweeting...

11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    It is good to great speed, however it is not elite.

The reason why he can fall is that he is amazing at what he does in college, however in the pros he doesn't have elite measurables. He isn't 6-4, doesn't run sub 4.4 and doesn't have elite quickness.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  12. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Cool, I hope he drops to us...

13. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Maybe with some media pundits but surely not in any football scouts minds..He's a game changer, blue chip prospect, no doubt, won't get out of the top 6 IMO.

Pandarilla likes this.
  14. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Those work ethic concerns are BS. There is no way you can be that great at stopping the run with a bad work ethic.

15. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't see Coples as a difference maker. I agree with Boomer's comparison with Kendall Langford. He's a nice player assuming he's motivated, but he doesn't have that elite burst to fill that pass rush need.

Pandarilla and Bulldog like this.
  16. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Yes and they will if they can't trade down. IF we trade down expect a DE or WR.

17. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I would take Richardson over Blackmon and not think twice about it. A WR only gets the ball 5-6 times a game. A great running back, which Richardson will be in the NFL, can be involved in 20-25 offensive plays a game. Richardson is projected to be the best running back to enter the draft since Adrian Peterson. I see Richardson as the third best player in the draft, only behind Luck and RG3.

If Blackmon, Tannehill, and Richarson were to somehow all slip down in the draft and were available when the Dolphins select at eight, I would hope that Ireland would be smart enough to draft Richarson. Unfortunately I don't see Richardson still being on the board when the Dolphins select in the first round, so my hope is that Ireland decides to take the one player left on the board I believe can come in and make an impact immediately, Luke Kuechly. I believe Kuechly will be a future pro bowl LB and a possible HOF candidate once his career is over.

Pandarilla likes this.
  18. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    There were at least two blatant typos I found in the article. It's a shame he has a job...

19. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Been saying this for some time. At 6'1, 207 and running in the high 4.4's - he'll be a good WR who will take some time to develop but not worthy of a top 10 pick. Had he come to the Combine and measured 6'3, 225 and ran a 4.45-4.5 he'd probably be a top 5 player. But one has to question his ability to physically dominate NFL DB's (and that is a big part of his college game).

I actually like the ND kid better.

Jcouch1021 likes this.
  20. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I always like to look at what WR's do when they face elite competition. You could argue that the best DB's Floyd faced this year was Florida State's. He had one of his worst games of the year, only 5 catches for 41 yards. He also caught for 4 for 28 against USC. (Not to mention 4 for 27 against Pittsbugh)

It doesn't mean he won't be solid in the NFL, but he put up some nice numbers against some horrifically bad D's and disappeared when facing solid ones.

Pandarilla likes this.
  21. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    He had a tendency in 2011 to disappoint relative to expectations. He had plenty of catches and made plenty of big plays, but those were expected of him based on what he showed in 2010. What was not expected was the constant stream of ****-ups that came out of him in games during the season where he'd have himself in position to make huge plays and the throw would be money, and he'd just flub it. Or there was another play where he could have essentially walked into the end zone he was so wide open after the catch, and when he tried to (needlessly) switch the ball from one hand to the other just as he was about to enter the end zone, he just straight up dropped the ball and it kicked out of the end zone for a touchback. Even more inexplicable than when Brandon Marshall lost his balance and fell out of bounds even though he had a clear road to the end zone I believe against the Jets.

To me, he's Hakeem Nicks. No way in hell Hakeem Nicks should have gone #29 overall as he did. But then again, you might have a point if you say Hakeem Nicks in the top 5 would have been a stretch, even with the benefit of hindsight.

Pandarilla likes this.
  22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I absolutely cannot see Kendall Langford comparisons. Just not even similar as football players.

23. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Thanks for filling in the blanks as always, CK. Have you posted your mock yet?

24. DeDolfan

DeDolfan Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Rehoboth Beach

It very well could be anybody's guess who we wind up picking. Here is an interesting fact tho, the dolphins have only used a 1st rnd pick on 3 QBs in their history. Those came in 66, 67 and 83 with the latter 2 being HOFers. This is not an endorsement for Tannehill, not by a long shot, but the point is that the Dolphins have literally sucked drafting QBs in other rounds. Not even mentioning trades. Sooner or later, we're going to draft a QB in the first round. Drafting a franchise QB has been our biggest need for about 15 years now.
    so, a question is, do we take a chance on Tannehill or do we go the same route again and expect different results?! ;)

25. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    Or blow Deuces Rogers

26. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007