1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange Sleep Issue - Anxiety

Discussion in 'Outreach Forum' started by Alex44, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    So for a while now I've been having some really hardcore sleep issues that I've never had before. Basically if I go to sleep in the dark and wake up with it still being dark, I start to spazz out. Basically I wake up and feel like there is just this impending doom and the thought in my head is "It's so dark I can't see. I need to be able to see again" and I kind of like...space out and panic until I'm able to turn on a light or something. It isn't like a panic attack where you can't breathe. It is just all in my head, thoughts.

Anyway it got so bad (every night happening) that I've basically been sleeping with the room light on for weeks now. The thing is that first of all....it's really embarrassing. Secondly the quality of sleep is horrible. Waking up feeling worse than when you went to bed. I thought it would just pass and tried again the other night (lights off) and found that no the problem did not resolve itself.

Easy solution would be to just sleep with the TV on but the cable in the room doesn't work so all I get it static :lol: that freaks me out in general for some reason.

I'd also like to stress that I have no fear of the dark. No issues going to sleep in the dark, walking in the dark at night, or whatever. Just upon waking.

Anyway I tried to google it but couldn't really find anything exactly related to what I'm experiencing. Basically I just want to know if it is common and/or has a name and what can be done about it? If anything?

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Ladies Lounge.... you're welcome.:shifty:

slickj101, SICK and Alex44 like this.
  3. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

Alex, I had a similar problem a couple of years ago with work related anxiety. I got a perscription for 15 sleeping pills from the doctor. I still have 12. Three nights of sound sleep broke the cycle. Might work for you.

Another possibility might be one of those colored "night-lights" My wife has terrible night vision and we have these blue lights all over. When she used to use regular white lights, I couldn't sleep but now it doesn't bother me at all.

Hope one of these helps.

Alex44 likes this.
  4. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Seriously. Hop on the Ladies Lounge and read some of the boring articles on there until you fall asleep.

5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Jeez pastor, they're night lite Americans.:lol:

Seriously, talk to your doctor, Alex. There is absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about. Its obviously an issue you can't control.

Ohiophinphan and Alex44 like this.
  6. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009

...is that what she told you?

slickj101, Sleepy and unluckyluciano like this.
  7. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Night vision goggles.

SICK, unluckyluciano and Paul 13 like this.
  8. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    could be going blind... from being in the ladies lounge too much...:shifty: how much caffeine do you get on a daily basis?

Alex44 likes this.
  9. Buy a nightlight or if you really want all your freinds to envy you get yourself a lightbrite and maybe do a Dolphin. :lol:

unluckyluciano and Alex44 like this.
  10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    try raw honey before you sleep

Alex44 likes this.
  11. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Fluctuates. Not THAT much though, I do drink soda but the caffeine content in it isn't very high. Could be a sugar thing. Don't drink coffee.

12. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Alex,

I would strongly recommend a cutoff of 6PM for caffeine. At least until your sleep issue resolves itself.

Are you having anxiety about anything going on in your life right now? Anxiety throughout the day often leads to anxiety at night disrupting your sleep. What you're talking about also sounds a lot like a night terror. Much different than a nightmare. Here's some information -

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/night-terrors/DS01016

I've suffered from these. Usually heavy drinking and partaking of recreational drugs was the culprit. I'm not suggesting that's your problem, but if you do drink maybe try and dry out for a week and see if it helps.

Hope you get some sleep soon!

Alex44 and Ohiophinphan like this.
  13. Daben

Daben Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Anxiety and stress are common causes of sleep disturbance, as are overuse of stimulants, alcohol, and other recreational drugs. Your description suggests that your normal pattern of sleep is being disturbed and you are dropping out of sleep abruptly, rather than gently coming into consciousness. A sudden waking can be disorientating and cause some odd but harmless experiences.

As said above best to have a chat with your doctor about it, he/she will help you narrow it down and figure out a way to get back on track. I wouldn't worry too much, many people experience very odd sleep related disturbances and experiences without any other symptoms in the daily lives, and such sleep related disturbances are often not related to anything else.

Alex44 likes this.
  14. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Chamomile tea extract pills. Take two before you sleep, it helps tremendously with any anxiety before sleep. Also write out your worries and troubles on sheets of paper before you sleep. Re-read them and see if they make rational sense as if you were advising your friend. That'll take the edge off of your worry big time.

15. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    You should check the expiration date on the pill bottle and throw them out if expired..never know who could get into them.

16. Ohiophinphan

Thanks King. They have another six months. It is only the wife and me in the house so I am not worried about someone else geting into them but your advise is excellent.

17. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Hang a big, glow in the dark clown from your cieling, directly over your bed......should cure your fear of the dark.

18. Ohiophinphan

This has popped back up but we haven't heard anything from Alex in awhile. How are things going?

19. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Had similar issues Alex and what worked for me was either Valerian root or St John's Wort. Either seems to take the edge off.

20. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I can sympathize. I've had sleep issues from time to time, and Mrs. VO is a noted insomniac. Just to reiterrate some of the things in this thread ...

• I try to limit my caffeine and sugar intake, especially after 7:00p. One of the worst nights of "sleep" I ever got was taking a 5 hour energy at like 8:00p ... it was just a dumb decision.
    • When I'm travelling, I often find it diffult to relax as I'm not in my bed. One thing I do, rather than leaving lights on, is to turn on a quiet TV station and fall asleep that way. Stations like the Weather Channel, Food Network, or even the TV-radio stations are great for these. It helps me fall asleep without being perfectly "dark" in the room. You could also move a DVD player (they're pretty cheap now) and pick out a nice fluffy Disney movie to fall asleep to. Or quit being lazy and hook up your cable.
    • I took a sleeping pill once and absolutely hated it. I woudn't recommend those as they can be habit-forming and even dangerous in extreme cases. Once in awhile I do take a supplement. I like melatonin or 5-htp (either/or ... unless you really want to sleep) to help me get to sleep. Both are forms of natuarally occurring hormones and substances that may help you doze off. Alternatively, you can take something like a Benedryl and it may help you out. Don't combine these; while you will sleep you most likely won't function the next day and you should not operate heavy machinery.
    • Try and regiment your breathing and force your mind to wind down; slow deep breaths. I have ADD so this is tough for me ... my mind can just go crazy sometimes, especially in the evening. If I focus on one aspect of my day and slow my breathing down I find it helps out quite a bit.

If nothing else works then don't lie there trying to force yourself to sleep. Get up; find something productive to do for 30 minutes to an hour - write a blog, post on the Phins, check Facebook - doesn't really matter. Just find something to take care of the energy and when you find yourself getting tired that's when you finally hit the sack.

Hope that helps man.

SICK likes this.
  21. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    A lot of good ideas but the most basic (besides the ladies lounge) is stretching.

Stretch for like 5 mins and just relax w/no tv or comp and see if that does it.

That and/or start working out if you aren't.

Alex44 likes this.