1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genealogy: I can help!

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Clumpy, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Clumpy

Clumpy Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 10, 2007
    Can see The Ralph!!
    I no longer have access to salary information on NFLPA website. I tried but since I'm not in the media, they will not give me access. I can still interpret salary cap information but I just cannot get the information I need to continue posting a salary cap page. If that changes, then I will but probably only a Bills one because I'm in the process of becoming a professional genealogist and going into business. Not enough time in the day to keep up with salary cap information.

I started genealogy 10 years ago after my father passed away because I knew so little about my family. He was not one to talk about the past. I've had to go it alone on my paternal roots. I've had much greater success on my maternal side. I can trace my roots back to 6 separate passengers on the Mayflower and apparently Edward I (King from Braveheart). One of my lines (Lyon) apparently goes back to pre William the Conqueror France.

I work on over 30 family trees and most of them presently are pro bono. I do accept reimbursement for expenses and a free lunch. Since I'm not presently in business, I cannot technically charge for my work. I'm sure the IRS would wanna know about it. I have used the barter system as compensation. I have a certificate in genealogical research from Boston Univ. Working my way through other credentialing with the hopes of being certified by 2014. It's a 2-3 yr process.

I'm offering advice, hints, suggestions, etc to anyone who needs it. You can post it here or if you prefer privacy, send it to me by PM.

I cannot help much with "over the pond" problems. Mostly because of language barriers. I'll need to learn more about this before I can apply for professional status

gafinfan, SICK and Ohiophinphan like this.
  2. Jimi

Jimi Active Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Would you be able to find out anything about my mothers side of the family...she was adopted.

3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I was raised by wolves. Thoughts?

SICK likes this.
  4. Clumpy

Dec 10, 2007
    Can see The Ralph!!

Depends on state and what information she has. Does she know the names of her biological parents? Any other info about them like where they lived, DOB, siblings?

5. Clumpy

Dec 10, 2007
    Can see The Ralph!!

You were the runt of the family and abandoned when the family went camping

6. Jimi

Jimi Active Member

Jan 17, 2009
    As far as I know she knows nothing aside from the state where they lived possibly. Ill see about any other info, she does have a brother. Even if not id still like to know more about my fathers side, what would i do to go about making this happen?

7. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    You are......

NOT the father.

8. Clumpy

Dec 10, 2007
    Can see The Ralph!!

I'll PM you

9. Jimi

Jimi Active Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Ok thanks

10. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    Well you're a bills fan.............so I'm assuming a lot of the family trees you see have one branch correct? Can you handle multi branch family trees?

Fin D likes this.
  11. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Hey Clumpy,

Are you still doing this? Would be interested in finding out information on my father's and mother's side of the family. Would be willing to buy you a lunch of chicken wings on my next visit to the greater Western New York area and maybe some other interesting barters.

12. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    My wife was adopted. Her adopted parents don't give much information on her biological parents because, since they raised her from days old, they feel they are her real parents (rightfully so)

However, I have a child with her, and I want to know my son's other 1/2's backround (medical history, genes etc) She was born in Plattsburgh NY, I believe on a military base, or a catholic nunnery (i can't make this up) Would you be willing to help? PM me, I'll buy you a reggie bush jersey for compensation :lol:

13. Jimi

Jimi Active Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Clumpy are you actually doing this lol?

14. Clumpy

Dec 10, 2007
    Can see The Ralph!!
    Yes I am.........:yes:

Paul 13 and gunn34 like this.
  15. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    So... what's the wait time like?

16. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Ha! I totally found her family in November! So awesome!

Paul 13 likes this.
  17. jdallen1222

jdallen1222 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Plantation, Fl
    Clumpy, is there a standard barter rate or is it on a case by case basis? I'd be interested but, well ****, if you could email me, I'd like to ask more questions if you don't mind. Please put thephins.com in the subject title, thanks dude. I avoided spelling out my email because I think it'll help avoid spam bots grabbing email addresses.

18. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Ancestry.com is a really good place to get started with the basics and then try someone like clumpy out? Do you do this on the Bills site also...although no other site even compares to thePhins.com. It's cool what we do on my dad's side of the family and we have gone way back...still working the old country(ies) some of my family has met family members in Ireland and Scottland and we are working on more...I want to get one started for my mother's side as well..my grandpa was a Keen and my grandma was a Swain. First thing to know when starting this, is to have plenty of patience....talk to any oldtimers left in your family as well as old time family friends, look through letters,old photo albums, anything you can find to start with..you will run into dead ends, but when you do open a new door, it is so exciting and keeps you going...my Father and mothers side goes back many generations in Florida and one oh my great,great uncle's was known as "The King of the Crackers" Cowboys, both the word and the cattlemen started in Florida...anyways, good luck to all searching.

19. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I knew it was a long journey but dang...them Pilgrims sure done used every chance they got to be "free" and mingle. :shifty: