1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami Dolphins Might Want To ‘Overpay’ For Ryan Tannehill

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Onehondo, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Many draft Speculators, Scouts and Charley Casserly believe Miami would be overpaying for Tannehill at pick #8 but the question would be, is Miami willing to take the risk?

Here is the article in the Miami Herald:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/08/2736801_p2/miami-dolphins-might-want-to-overpay.html

Also here is Brian Billick and Taylor Jones from Fox Sports breaking down the top Quarterbacks in the 2012 draft.
    They have a reserved opinion or doubts about Ryan Tannehill. Billick says Tannehill Scares him.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/brian-billick-nfl-draft-top-qb-s/12l0sdfg?from=

2. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Billick knows something about over-drafting a QB, who's stock soared late.

[​IMG]

HULKFish, SICK and Fin-Omenal like this.
  3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Tannehill @ 8:dolphin:

4. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    This is going to be a real interesting draft! I believe if Philbin and staff really believe Tannehill could be good quarterback and a potential Franchise Quarterback then Ireland should draft him at #8. I am not so sure I believe they should trade up to get him. There are too many needs for the Dolphins to spend draft picks to trade up unless the choice is ready to start day one and unfortunately I don't think Tannehill is ready to do that.

5. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    That's a pretty bold statement.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  6. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    That "breakdown" by Brian Billick and Taylor Jones was painful to watch.

Onehondo and bakedmatt like this.
  7. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Really in-depth, huh? :001_rolleyes:

8. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Billick wasnt in charge of the draft.
    Although I wouldn't want Billick's opinion on anything besides how to look like a thinner Jim Belushi.

9. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Apropos of nothing, man Kirk Cousins is bad at football.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Really? I don't know, I just don't see it. Andrew Luck reminds me of Rodgers, but I don't see that in Tannehill.

11. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Aaron Rodgers right now, or Aaron Rodgers coming out of Cal?

12. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    aaron rodgers coming out of cal was just as raw as tannehill IMO. rodgers got to sit and watch the game for years behind favre while the packers developed him, changing many things along the way. looking at tannehill and his skills the guy has huge upside IMO but he needs time to develope

13. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    No such thing as overpaying for franchise QB potential. I just hope the Browns don't plan on "overpaying" before we get a chance.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  14. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Aaron Rodgers today.

15. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Tannehill reminds me more of a raw Rodgers. Luck doesn't remind me of anyone really. Luck just seems like Luck.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  16. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    After luck and RG3 are there any QBs worth investing a first round pick on?They might want to look at other positions and go for a QB next year.Alot of fans won't stand for it but I wouldn't take one just because it's a big need and the guy they want is not there.

17. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Perhaps...but there is certainly the pain and anguish of overpaying for a potential franchise QB when he doesn't turn out to be that guy...look at how much consternation Chad Henne has brought to this franchise and it's fanbase. Sure, he wasn't considered a franchise guy coming out, but he was expected to be one once he was on the roster, particularly and moreso with the fanbase than the staff. Do you overpay and it not work out for you or try again in the next draft/FA period ?? I've been saying this about Tannehill since the beginning, that maybe he's the real deal and maybe not...does Ireland get a pass from the fanbase if he chooses Tannehill at 8 and he doesn't work out ?? Probably not...

18. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    You can't win the lottery if you don't play. Tannehill will drop to #8, then select him.
    If he doesn't pan out, it is painful, but not as bad as if you traded multiple picks to get him.

GARDENHEAD, MonstBlitz and Fin D like this.
  19. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I wouldn't be opposed to select him if he dropped. I def don't want to trade up to get anyone.

20. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    No way I trade up to get Tannehill. But, if he's there at #8, and you think he's got the potential to be top-caliber QB, then yeah...pull the trigger. If not, or he's gone, there are plenty of other holes to plug. Draft a developmental guy later on and roll with Moore/Garrard for '12.

21. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Aaron Rodgers comparison? Alrighty...hey if we get him I'll be hoping he is every bit of an Aaron Rodgers. But let's be honest with ourselves, how many QBs were strong armed and mobile who turned out to be busts? Rodgers had talent and was developed very well....that has a lot to do with his success, a lot more than just having the physical attributes.

22. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

Mar 13, 2012
    It's been said over and over...If this coaching staff thinks Tannehill is the guy...get him.

However, I'm just not seeing the Rodgers in Tannehill. Saying that the 3rd best QB prospect coming out of college is comparable to Rodgers is wishful thinking, IMO. Rodgers is the best QB in the league right now.

Aquafin and Fin-Omenal like this.
  23. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Actually there are a number of reasons people resort to the Aaron Rodgers comparison.

Rodgers consistently hurt defenses with his legs in college. Both years he more than canceled out his sack yardage with rushing yardage. I believe he ended up with something like 500 rushing yards in the 2 years with 8 rushing touchdowns. Both throw the ball very well and uncommonly accurate while on the move. Just recently I heard one draftnik talking about the difference in Tannehill between 2010 and 2011, in 2011 he clearly tried harder to become a system guy instead of going out there and winging it like he did when he went 5-1 in 2010. Rodgers' career at Cal went remarkably similar, from when he played a little more fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants football in 2003, to playing more within the confines of the Tedford system in 2004. You have a criticism out there about Tannehill's inability to consistently throw with anticipation. In 2008, Merrill Hoge brought up that when Rodgers was coming out, he felt like he was a guy that had to see it in order to throw it, didn't throw with anticipation. Tannehill only has about 1.5 seasons' worth of starts under his belt, but Rodgers only had 2 seasons at Cal, post-junior college. Both players are guys that could clearly throw the deep ball with plenty of pace and good spin, and I think plenty of accuracy, but neither had a lot of tape of them completing a whole lot of those deeper passes.

24. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

Mar 13, 2012

I'm betting that if you wanted to you could find similarities between all college QB's and all NFL QB's. All have 2 arms, and 2 legs. All of them throw a football.

Comparing Rodgers today, (like the one poster did) to Tannehill today, IMO, is wishful thinking. Not because I'm positive Tannehill won't or can't become Rodgers-like one day, but because, and as you wrote here, there is insufficient tape on Tannehill and he's yet to play a down in the NFL. Tebow consistently hurt defenses with his legs in college. I'm sure he also canceled out his sack yardage with rushing yardage. Is he also comparable to Rodgers?

25. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    No. Because you're leaving out one huge attribute...his arm!

26. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    12 years QB has been the biggest weakness on this team. This season will make 13. How long should the Miami Dolphins wait to finally make the position a priority. What happens when we win 6 - 8 games this season and end up picking middle of the pack again? Wait until next year again?

The fact that a QB might bust is no reason to not take the chance. If a FO sees franchise potential it's an easy pick. The teams taking this "risk" over the past decade have reaped some nice rewards.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  27. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Rodgers coming out is the comparison. The comparison is not what Rodgers became after four years. That would be the comparison in four years, after Tannehill has four years of NFL tenure. Rodgers coming out was a strong armed (can make all the throws , good velocity), athletic (good athlete but not great) QB with good accuracy (but not great ball placement). He was particularly good at throwing on the run. He was not considered to be great at deep throws. Rodgers He was considered smart with very good pocket awareness, but seemed mechanical and was criticized for lacking anticipation in his throws. Tannehill has similar arm strength, athleticism and accuracy. Tannehill also excels at throwing on the run and has very good pocket awareness. Tannehill is not considered great at deep throws. Tannehill is also criticized for lacking anticipation on his throws. IMO Tannehill looks very much like the prospect Rodgers was when he came out. Tannehill does have the advantage of having worked in a pro-style offense in college instead of the Tedford system that Rodgers worked in. Although Tannehill has the disadvantage of having played fewer total snaps at QB. Tannehill did play about as many games in the passing offense, but about half of those were at WR. I don't see it as a stretch to say that two QBs with similar strengths and weaknesses trained in the same system (Philbin's) could develop similarly.

Disnardo, ToddsPhins and dolfan32323 like this.
  28. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

Mar 13, 2012
    When it's put this way, and if CKParrot and everyone else here meant what was written in this post, then I can agree. Sorry for any confusion on my part.

The bottom line is, if this FO thinks Tannehill has franchise QB ability...then they need to do what they can in order to be in the best position to draft him. However, trading from 8th to 3rd may take too much.

rafael likes this.
  29. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Im hoping alot.

GARDENHEAD and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  30. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I'm not in favor of trading up either. First, I don't see the need. I think Cleveland is bluffing about taking him. And second, I really like Weeden, not as much as Tannehill, but enough that I don't want to over pay to move up to #3.

As for whether Tannehill has franchise ability, other than Billick and a few posters here, I don't see anybody questioning that. Even Casserly and McShay who are saying he's worth a late first rounder both admit he has franchise potential. They just don't think you take a QB that early who is going to need time to develop. That's more about a valuation philosophy than a disagreement about his talent level. Even Billick seems to think that Tannehill is good but not potentially elite. That's pretty much the range I see for the bulk of the opinions on Tannehill's ability. Most of the world seems to think he's at least good and many see him as potentially elite, while a very few (mainly some posters here) claim he's not even good.

31. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Not really.

32. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He's right. They all have 10 fingers and toes.

33. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The one thing I'd add is, even though Tannehill had 1.5 seasons of starts versus Rodgers' 2 seasons of starts, in today's NCAA the difference from a reps standpoint makes that difference minimal. Between 2003 and 2004, Rodgers had only 825 snaps. In his career, Ryan Tannehill actually has 889 snaps as a quarterback. Technically speaking, he's got more reps than Rodgers did when he came out of school.

Rodgers went to JUCO for two years before transferring to Cal and starting as a redshirt sophomore in 2003 and a redshirt junior in 2004, at which point he entered the NFL Draft with one year of college eligibility remaining.

34. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    LOL. And I suppose they all (hopefully) throw an oblong shaped leather object into the hands of other players.

35. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Thanks for making me google oblong - even though given the context of the usage I fully understood the meaning.

FUNNY: I clicked on google images and a picture of Sarah Jessica Parker's face was shown. LOL.

36. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    ANY QB that doesn't pan out is going to cause consternation though, aren't they? Not sure about anyone else, but it won't make me feel any better to know a guy who wasn't considered "THE GUY" fails rather than a guy who was drafted with the first pick. Same result either way. As for Ireland, I'd be more willing to give him a pass were he to strike-out with a 1st Round QB than with career backups. At least then he'd have taken a chance.

And I agree with the Rodgers comparisons. It seems like a lot of the same things are being said about Tannehill that were said about Rodgers. Besides the whole "TEDFORD QB'S OMGZZ" stuff.

37. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    Tannyhill is a horible qb he had 10 td s and 9 ints in second half of games . I pray that we trade down and get three extra picks

I think the miami media is a bunch is a buch of dopes . Tannnyhill and Mike Sherman do not make for a successfull team

why does everyone think that its automatic that Tannyhill is who we willl select. I think miami ought to grow a pair and trade up to number three and take Blackmon or leep frog over washington and take Griffin. that would be a major coup .

trading down and try to get more offensive weapons would be great

38. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I didn't realize that Tannehill actually had more QB snaps than Rodgers had. That snap count is pretty close and makes the overall comparison even closer. Going from memory, I think I had Rodgers rated a hair better than Tannehill coming out, but it would be close if they were both coming out at the same time. I didn't think he was as mechanical as the critics were saying. I thought he needed time though. I felt the Tedford offense programmed some habits in him that he would need to break. I felt that if he went to Miami and got thrown in right away, he might bust. Looking back, I'm not sure that if you put Alex Smith, Rodgers and Tannehill in that same draft who would be the consensus #1. My guess is that each of the three would have their supporters. It wouldn't surprise me if SF would have gone with Tannehill, Miami with Smith and Rodgers still would have fallen to GB. Rodgers would have been looked at as one of those third QBs in the draft that some stats say will bust. In that case I could easily see Tannehill and Smith suffering as they went through multiple OCs while Rodgers still flourished after getting to sit and learn.

39. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    that's saved for the punt team.

:couch:

Tone_E likes this.
  40. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    ..... and with the one and a half pick of the first round, the Miami Dolphins select Robert Griffin.

[​IMG]