1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jerry Jones, Charley Casserly and Gil Brandt come to defense of Ireland and Ross

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Onehondo, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Bulldog, PhinsRock and ToddsPhins like this.
  2. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    IMO, he didn't need any defense.

I like this:

3. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think there's a serious argument that Ireland has done a bad job in terms of judging talent. Not in the context of actual NFL franchise performance in this areas.

The concern is if he's done enough public relations damage that it compromises his ability to continue to do his job effectively.

CWBIII, alen1, bigbry and 2 others like this.
  4. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Winning is ALL THE PUBLIC relations he will need to do.

If the Dolphins have a successful season people will be clamoring to come back again.

LandShark13, CWBIII, Boik14 and 4 others like this.
  5. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    That's really the bottom line. Win games, be the biggest ******* you wanna be. Keep putting up 6 and 7 win seasons and GTFO.

Boik14 likes this.
  6. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Two out of the three do not have a job. One out of the three is the man Ross is trying to emulate.

7. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Brandt is 79 years old. He doesn't want an NFL job. He stayed as long as he wanted to.

NJFINSFAN1, CWBIII, Boik14 and 2 others like this.
  8. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    yes let me take gm advice from Jerry Jones whens the last time the cowboys won a playoff game with a supposedly stacked team every year. I like Jones as an owner he really cares about his team and puts mega dollars into his franchise but hes a HORRIBLE gm.

9. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Ok, who are you going to take GM advice from then?

Steve-Mo likes this.
  10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    How is the bold part true?

11. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I really respect Gil Brandt's opinion. I listen to him every chance I get on Sirius NFL. One of the most entertaining men to listen to and he's probably forgotten more about football than most folks who cover the sport will ever know. That being said, as much as he might be right about some of what he said about Ireland, I still don't believe Ireland places enough emphasis on the QB position for today's game. And I'm not shocked that a 79 year old former GM from waaaaay back in the day, as much as I respect him, wouldn't see a problem with Ireland's valuation of the QB position.

12. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    You're right. It's much better to take GM advice from a fan who's never owned a team like yourself. :001_rolleyes:

xphinfanx, Steve-Mo and xer0 like this.
  13. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    And you base that off WHAT? Ireland's one full season of control (2011) where 2 QBs were overdrafted before our 1st round pick and where we had no 2nd rounder to trade up for Dalton?..... or was it b/c Ireland (and Philbin) didn't value Flynn as highly as you did?

Don't confuse "placing emphasis on the QB position" with "placing excessive emphasis on the QB position to where it hurts your team".

For some reason it seems you think "wanting a QB" is all that's needed to get a franchise guy, or that just b/c we don't have one you think it means "we don't emphasize the position". That's pretty obtuse. You can desire and emphasize a franchise QB all you want but you're still not turning chicken **** into chicken salad.

DOLPHAN1, phineas64, Steve-Mo and 4 others like this.
  14. Mk2

Mk2 New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Jerry is a genius , only 1 playoff win in 16 years! (and I am a huge fan of the Cowboys BTW)

[​IMG]

15. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Lol, if he has a stacked team that isn't winning, that's fault to the coaches and credit to the GM.:pity:

ToddsPhins likes this.
  16. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Armchair GM's are always so set in their position they are blinded to the value of a GM that is espoused by people who have more NFL experience in their little finger than the armchair GM's have in their entire body, especially the brain.

This is exactly why I rarely leave Club anymore. Respectful and intelligent discussion are not mutually opposing to one another.

phineas64 and Bumrush like this.
  17. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    7-9. 7-9. 6-10. He's done a terrible job at finding talent. Name me one game changer on the roster? Can't do it, because that person doesn't exist.

Phins28 and PhinsRDbest like this.
  18. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    And seriously, who cares what Jerry Jones and Charlie Casserly has to say. Charlie Casserly is the biggest idiot you'll ever find, and Jerry Jones is way, way, way past his prime. It's also great to know that Ireland isn't a Parcells guy but a Carl Peterson guy. Makes me feel soooo much better... Wait no. Gil Brandt is a guy I respect. He's right that Ireland is building a team for success. Too bad that success would only happen if this was still the 1970s when Brandt was relevant as an NFL guy.

Ireland is terrible at his job. Not even disputable. Oh sorry, forgot! He sat around with his thumb up his *** earning paychecks doing absolutely nothing because it was all Parcells. Oops, I mean it was all Parcells making bad decisions like Pat White while Ireland is responsible for the very, very, very few good decisions, like Cameron Wake.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    You don't feel coaching had anything to do with that?

Also, to say he has done a terrible job at finding talent is a bit ignorant.

20. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Jerry Jones is a complete joke and knows absolutely nothing about someone being an effective GM. That is the reason the Cowboys are as messed up as they are right now, because he actually thinks he is an effective GM himself.

Brandt was a good GM 20 years ago but the league today is not the same league it was when he was a top GM in the NFL. Casserly was a mediocre GM in the NFL and I take anything he says with a grain of salt.

What was most interesting in this article was the relationship between Ireland and Carl Peterson. This now makes it more apparent why Ross decided to keep Ireland after he fired Sparano. Ross obviously is listening to the advise of Peterson who convinced Ross to retain Ireland. Of course Peterson resigned from the Chiefs in 2008 and the Chiefs have been trying to rebuild the team from the mess he left since then. The fact that Ross listened to Peterson in regards to anything related to the Dolphins concerns me greatly.

I have accepted that Ireland is still the teams GM and I am willing to give him ONE more chance to get it right. This will be his fifth year as the teams GM. If the Dolphins finish above 500 next season, I will admit that Ireland did a good job and I will not continue to demand his firing. Of course if the Dolphins once again finish below 500 and third or fourth in the AFC East, I feel that Ross will finally have to accept that he needs to go out and hire a GM who actually knows how to build a winning football team. So I look forward to the 2012 season to see if Ireland is as good as some on here think he is or if he was as much at fault for the last three seasons as Sparano was. It should be very interesting.

MAFishFan likes this.
  21. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Actually, he was fired by Jerry just after the draft in Jones' first year; not long after the firing of Tex Schramm & Landry. He would have stayed longer had Jerry allowed him or the team had not been sold. That was in '89, 23 years ago, so he was 56, still in his prime. He certainly could have gone elsewhere but didn't want to after working with the Cowboys' org. for 29 yrs.

----

As to the comments of all three - I agree with all of them in that they are simply saying - relative to Ireland, "Hey, the NFL is tough, he works hard ..." I have nothing against Ireland personally, whatsoever. Actually hope he does well in life; and in Miami, obviously.

But, it does all come down to winning. In the NFL, win and you are in. Lose and you are out. It's not a friendly thing. Nor does character and work ethic necessarily translate, unfortunately, b/c those should be the characteristics. I don't think there's a coach in the NFL that does not have a good work ethic. Few become winners. As Brian Billick candidly intimated recently, if you don't get a winning QB you won't be there long and he cited himself as the example. Perhaps Ireland will gain one out of Moore & Garrard for the next few seasons (or perhaps the QB they draft will be a winner for years). We can only hope.

22. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Wow...noted NFL types happen to say something good about our team and it's management and suddenly they are buffoons in the eyes of non-Ireland fans... Way to go - ignore other opinions that are different than yours but don't back up your opinion with any facts.

Whether you and I like it or not, the facts are that while Irish was under Parcells thumb, he had a certain criteria he had to follow, that was Quitcell's criteria. Why is it that Quitcells gets off on the first 3 1/2 years of Irish's tenure here ?? You can't give Irish all the credit for Wake unless you give him all the blame for White...The two personnel sides of this are NOT separable, at least not fairly separable.

So if you eliminate those first 3 1/2 yrs you are left with one year and a partial offseason under the direction of Ireland. But if you look closely at that full year, not only were there more good moves than bad, but there was the lockout and the subsequent screwballing of a traditional offseason, FA, team preparation for the coming year and even draft. The players started out unprepared, no one can deny that. Was that Ireland's fault ?? For that matter, was it Sparano's fault ?? Oh and by the way, mid-season the HC was fired. That was Ireland's fault too ??

Then you take the partial offseason we've had and suddenly we are predicting that because he hasn't 'done' what was expected of most of us that it's an unsuccessful beginning. Marshall had to go. I don't see how anyone who's watched the guy's behavior on this team can say anything else. Father Time had clearly caught up to Bell and given his salary he was going to be moved on. And Bell is so good right now that only one team has even had even cursory interest in him (that being one of worst secondary's in football last season). Let's not forget that we now have a new coaching regime and that coach requires different personnel than what Ireland has been stocking this team with for 4 yrs as well. How much of the recent moves have been about either purging of players that Philbin doesn't see fitting and acquiring guys that do fit ?? Bell and Marshall seem to be the most contentious moves by Irish and I don't think he could have done any differently and still served the best interest of the team, to this point.

Now, we can blame Ireland for not getting Cowher, Gruden or Fisher, but is that really accurate? Cowher and Gruden still haven't come back to coaching, so I guess when they said they weren't interested...well, they weren't. In StL, Fishers only other serious recruiter, he had a QB to build with, a team with about the same talent as ours, and autonomy which Ross has been steadfast in not giving any coach that power. Fisher has come out and publicly said he liked what Ireland had been doing here. But he chose to go the route that gave him personnel authority... If you want to blame someone, blame Mr. Loss for that one, although personally he wasn't my first choice, he could have been good for this organization (well, before the whole Gregg Williams thing)... And for all the pundits that don't like Ireland's role in the coaching search, it's been intimated that Ross made the decision on Philbin, not Irish...

Then there has been the QB search...Folks, Peyton was NEVER coming here despite all the hoopla around his courting. There's no way he comes here with a new coach who has a completely different offensive mindset than he's known, a team that is in transition from one regime to another and who had limited resources to work with, at least in comparison to the team he chose to go with. Flynn was the next on the list, but didn't we all pretty much say that if "Philbin endorsed Flynn, it would be fine and if he didn't it would be fine"...well, he didn't. To top that off, didn't Ross say that if Philbin had wanted Flynn, we'd have gotten him ?? Didn't he (Flynn) choose Seattle's $8m over our $4m a year....enough said...he went with the money, that's on him not us. He may turn into the next Hasselbeck or the next AJ Feeley...we just don't know yet... But Philbin, Ross and Ireland felt that he wasn't worth the risk... Oh, and the only time it was anywhere serious with Smith was when Peyton was in the 49ers crosshairs....once he bowed out, he wasn't going anywhere but back to SF...any idiot could have seen that coming.

You can blame him for all the ones that got away but would we really be any better if Ryan was our QB now ?? I doubt it...I can't say that Sparano was adept enough to give him the same coaching and opportunities than he's gotten in Atlanta and then there's the question of the LT...heck, we have one of the best now and the OL is still not good enough...The poor guy would have been crushed over the last 3 yrs...we'd have another Joey Harrington on our hands...

One more thing...to those saying that Ireland has "one more year"....seriously, one year for a GM to prove himself ?? Even the best of drafts take 2-3 to develop. There just has been too many sidebars to definitively say "Ireland is the source of all of our woes". Blame him all you want, there are still enough mitigating circumstances to at least put a doubt into 'who' is at fault in every situation you can try to use against him...

jsizzle, ToddsPhins and RevRick like this.
  23. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    You are probably wasting time and energy.. Those who are going to blame Ireland for everything from the bubonic plague to global warming will use the superficial examination of events the past five years and come up with the same mantra - Fire Ireland. Nothing will do but to get rid of him - for whom we do not know. It just a sign that the frustration level has blown off their petcock.

jsizzle and ToddsPhins like this.
  24. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Do you ever know what you are talking about? Before making your typical negative generalizations, at least google the guys you are criticizing

ToddsPhins and MrClean like this.
  25. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Jones thought so highly of Ireland that when the time came for Jeff to leave for greener pastures,what did Jerry do to try and keep him?

26. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Just like Peterson. Casserly was an effective GM early in his career. Toward the end of his career as a GM, he certainly didn't have the same success he had in the early years. In fact the Redskins went into decline after Gibbs as HC the first time and Casserly was basically ineffective as the teams GM for the next 5-6 years.

Both Peterson and Casserly were once effective GM's in the NFL, but they both regressed in their jobs the longer they remained in their positions. In fact Casserly was the GM who selected two of the biggest QB busts in the NFL draft in the last two decades, Heath Shuler and Davis Carr.

Just because Casserly, Peterson, and Jones defend Ireland doesn't mean Ireland is a good GM. Of course for all the Ireland supporters on here, everything that is wrong with the Dolphins now and has been the last four years is the fault of Sparano and Parcells. While Ireland gets all the credit for the few things that have worked out over this four years period. My view is that the Dolphins are 20-28 the last three seasons and I thought Sparano, Parcells, and Ireland all deserved blame for this record.

Since Ireland is still the GM, I am willing to see how he does this coming season, but anything less than a playoff team will be considered a failure on my part, since this is now his fifth year as the GM of this team.

27. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Agreed. I'm no Jeff Ireland fan but if Gil Brandt wanted a front office job he would have one. He's one of the best evaluators of talent still walking (though at 79 who knows for how much longer)

28. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Coaching sucked. The amount of talent on the roster sucks even more.

29. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Ireland was a Vice President in charge of scouting in Dallas, not the GM. Jones let him go to take a promotion to GM in Miami.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  30. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    The only metric or defense of Ireland i care about is winning. Im sick of excuses. I want wins. I dont want 6 or 7. I want 10, 11, 12 and a few in the postseason. Figure it out or get out. It really is that simple.

dsteve and rando like this.
  31. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    then I guess it's a good thing we have Ireland doing the drafting unabated for the 2nd year in a row. :up:
    Surprised you're not happy by that, but then again it would require you to blame the person mostly responsible for the past---- Parcells.

jsizzle and Fin D like this.
  32. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Correct! :up:

33. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Ireland deserves part of the blame, he was here, but 3 of those 4 yrs he wasn't the MFWIC, the 4th yr was stunted by the NFL labor issues and now a team with a new coach, a totally different philosophy, two new schemes, new type of talent needed... and doesn't produce in ONE year, he should be canned ?? Is that how GM's are generally graded...one year ?? Isn't the typical time frame more like 3 yrs ??

It's just as likely that Mr. Loss will tire of things if we don't see marked improvement in this team, so it won't matter what you and I think, but either you give him a clean slate or not...can't be both ways...

34. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    [​IMG]

35. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Yes of course. It was all Parcells and Ireland was nothing more than a puppet. Which by the way, would make him an even bigger joke, but that's not the case. He's the same idiot as Parcells. Same outdated philosophy and all. No talent on the team and lots of mediocrity. Thanks Ireland. Hope you stay for the next 20 years because I don't care about winning! Ireland's first draft has been a bust, with the only good pick being an interior lineman taken with a top 15 pick. As big of a joke as it gets right there. Worst value you could possibly get with a draft pick. Well, other than taking a Left Tackle to block for garbage QB's with the top pick when there's a franchise QB for the taking. Oh, we did that already too. :sad:

Phins28 likes this.
  36. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Lol.

People who follow their bosses format are a joke?

The irrational hate is so strong in you, its obvious you're trying to kiss up to the Emperor.

37. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I'm right you. You know it. You don't have to admit it. But I'll make sure to sling it in your face after we land a top 5 pick next season and Ireland is canned. It's too easy with you and especially Todd being consistently wrong about everything. Chad Henne. How's that working out Todd? Or better yet, remember when you used to defend Henning to no end his first 2 seasons? Whoops.

38. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Did I? oh well.

Give in to the hate. Good. Good.

39. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    yeah yeah yeah, and the world is flat and we'll fall off it if we swim out too far. :wink2:

There are so many things wrong with your post that it'd be easier to mention what's actually right about it. You capitalized the "Y" in yes to start the first sentence.

jsizzle likes this.
  40. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I was talking about Todd, but wouldn't be surprised if you did either being that you homer it up for the Dolphins at every opportunity as well. I hate living in reality and being right most of time because of the reality of this incompetent organization. Boggles the mind how anyone can watch 13 years of mostly unwatchable football and still defend this team blindly in every thread. Teach me your ways.

Phins28 likes this.