1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One possible player nobody has mentioned...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Fin-Omenal, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Let's assume Tannehill and Blackmon are gone, and the team isnt interested in Michael Floyd. I say it is too early for a RT, and this is a deep draft for DE's imo and the gap between a Coples and a Branch for example is not a huge one.

Why not Dontari Poe at #8?

First off I know we have Solia resigned, but I believe Jared Odrick has the necessary quickness to be moved to DE opposite Cam Wake. Within our division we have 2 pocket passers who can put up huge numbers INSIDE the pocket in Brady and Fitzpatrick. The other QB can get outside the pocket but lets face it, he isnt developing all that well. So where is it best to bring pressure from against pocket Qb's? You guessed it....in the pocket. The push we would get up the middle with a Solia/Poe DT combination would be just as effective as 2 speed rushers coming from the edge. Take away the pocket and we have all seen what Tom Brady can become.....HUMAN.

Now, I'm 100% in favor of finally building a good offense as this team hasnt had one in around 15 years. But if it comes down to a DE or a Trent Richardson? i wouldnt be upset with a selection like this.

Odrick, Poe, Solia, Wake....just fine with me ecspecially with the run stopping capabilities that front four would present. I realize we have Randy Starks still but he isnt a long time solution to any problems. No QB? No WR? Give me a pocket collapser like Dontari Poe.

2. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I like what you're cooking. I have always believed that you have to get the QB to move away from his comfort. No better way then to have a guy in his face every down.

When Brady gets frustrated early, he is a completely different QB.

3. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    In that scenario my top choices are Weedon or Kuechly. I think they're both going to be special players.

PhinsRDbest likes this.
  4. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I think has a huge bust chance. Higher than most draft prospects being discussed in top 10. If we took him at 8 I'd be a pissed off lunatic.

Stitches and UCF FINatic like this.
  5. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Agree 100%. He has all the potential in the world but when you watch him at Memphis you didn't really see it. Now whether that was due to him or the piss poor coaching at Memphis remains to be seen. He could be a special player. But I think Randy Starks would fit in well besides Soliai, Wake, and Odrick. Starks is good enough against the run and is actually pretty good at getting to the QB. If we were prepared to have Starks play the nose in the past after he had a pro bowl season as a 3-4 DE you have to be excited about what he could do as a 4-3 DT.

6. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    If he isn't a lazy fk, he will be just fine. He has a unique combo of speed and power so the skill set is there. Ofcourse he wouldnt be the 1st DT to go the lazy route.

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Issue I have with him is everyone's trying to peg him as a 3 technique at next level and hes not that IMO.

8. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I personally like him there, he would see less double teams...he certainly isn't lacking in the strength and quickness categories. Curious what you feel he is lacking to play the 3?

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't think he's that type of player. Don't think he will be consistent there. Best served as a 1 IMO.

10. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    If they decide to go non-qb. I'm rolling with Coples, DeCastro, or Kuechly.

11. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Yea, even ignoring our glut of DL I'd be pretty perturbed with us selecting him in the top 10.

12. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    On paper DT is our deepest position I agree. But I really believe Odrick could be an effective DE if so Starks is no more than an avg starter these days. So the basis of this is if we have no Tannehill and no Blackmon.

I just love the thought of Solia and Poe crashing the pocket giving Brady no lane to step up and throw.

Kuechly is another guy I would be fine with.

13. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Poe didn't dominate at Memphis. He screams workout warrior and wont be picked in the top 10. Resigning Solai and moving Odrick back to his natural position we are fine at DT/NT.

14. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Fine is one thing, dominant is another.

And like I mentioned I really believe Odrick is being overlooked as a DE.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  15. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    It's not a terrible idea, and I like your logic behind it, but IMO if we went a route like that we might be better off with Fletcher Cox who is better suited for the LDE role than Odrick on non-passing downs, and in nickel Soliai comes off the field with Cox moving inside :chuckle:. If we want to run a 3-4 at times, we'd have a great 3 man front of Cox, Odrick, and Soliai....... but we'd have better pass rush in nickel with Cox's better penetration ability than Poe IMO :chuckle:. We have Starks, but this would give us a year to break Cox in :chuckle:. To do this though, IMO, we'd need a quality hybrid SOLB to allow Cox to move inside in nickel (Shea McClellin or Bruce Irvin) or an ILB like Hightower who can rush the passer in nickel.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  16. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I agree. I did some digging around previously and found these facts interesting about Odrick:

Jared Odrick. He can play the RDE position on rushing downs and then kick in and rush the passer from the DT position on 3rd downs. Here is my argument for him:
    1.) He had 6 sacks over the last 11 games of last season.
    2.) He has a similar body to Coples. Odrick is 6'5 and 304(at the combine he was 296) Coples is 6'6 and 285. I think if you tell Odrick your plans he can lose 15 pounds before the start of the season and be right about where Coples is.
    3.) Odrick started his Penn State career off as a DE and was later moved to DT. Very similar to Coples. If you watched Coples play this year they very often lined him up at DT. Jon Gruden even had this to say about Odrick,

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  17. Bjorn

Bjorn Season Ticket Holder

Nov 26, 2007
    Maine
    All im going to say is Amobi Ploys. Nuff said. To much risk with Poe.

18. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

Won't be picked in the top ten.....maybe, maybe not, but his reward factor could be that of a rare dominating DT. And those don't grow on trees.

19. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

I like this prospect better than taking a Coples himself or an Ingram at 8. Poe or no Poe, we could do worse at DE than Jared Odrick.

20. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I was wrong about Starks.....but y'all was WRONG bout my boy Dontari Poe.

TooGoodForDez likes this.
  21. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Other than alen1 it looks like.

22. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Did you have to get a C-Section?

SICK, Fin-Omenal and Da 'Fins like this.
  23. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Not so sure id speculate that.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

24. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    He pegged him as not being a 3-technique and was spot-on.

25. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Dude he was a rookie who didn't even always play, for all your "wait and see" post about certain Dolphins...I would think you wouldn't pull that bogus argument out of your pocket.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk