1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For those why FO is cautious with spending in FA ?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by mommabilly, Apr 2, 2012.

1. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    Apparently the cap is not rising up this year or in 2013. Makes sense now why teams are not going ballistic in FA this year. Dansby needs to restructure and if Jake thinks he is going to get a mother load contract extension, he had better think again. All that extra big tv money seems to be mostly accounted for, already. I for one am glad those mega rookie contracts are a thing of the past.

Never likes this guy Smith head of the NFLPA, grandstander at best. Apparently he laughed at the better deal. Players should vote his rear end out of office. Guy gives nothing but mouth service.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...history-of-sports-suddenly-looks-pretty-good/

2. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    You don't think the best Offensive Lineman in the league deserves a big contract?

3. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Honestly? If you could replace long with an above average LT and use the money to acquire an impact player who actually touches the ball? I'd part ways with Long.

4. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Several teams have spent big with the cap where it is. They structured it in such a way so that they will take the bigger hits in the future - yet still offer guaranteed money.

It's about ingenuity and manipulation. They simply chose not to go that route - either they didn't know how to manipulate the cap or they aren't willing to spend on the guys that are out there.

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well that, and we have 12 million in dead money in Carey and Marshall.

Or so it has been said, after last yr I find it difficult to trust our FO's cap numbers.

6. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    I like Long but I do not think he is the best offensive lineman in the NFL. Lots of teams make the playoffs yearly with LTs that make far less then Jake Long makes. I think we have to see how he plays before they drop bank on him again. To be honest, I think the team is thinking the same thing, regardless of who the GM is.

The love affair with 60 and 70 million dollar Left Tackles has ended.

7. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    So basically the Dolphins drafted a guy at #1 overall, knowing he'd be getting a big payday if he became great, and they should let him walk?

8. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Okay, I'll bite. Which LT's would you put over Long?

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    You could sign Demetrious Bell for cheap, get 85% of the performance and spend that 11 million on guys who score Td's.

Or keep Td's from being scored.

Disnardo likes this.
  10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not neccessarily, but with the #1 overall guy we still finished 2nd in the NFL for most sacks allowed.

We've had him 4 yrs, has the offense excelled?

Disnardo likes this.
  11. Killer Bees

Aug 14, 2011
    You really blame him for that? he has been the most consistent player on offense

12. Silverphin

Nov 25, 2007
    Unless Jake Long has telekinetic powers on the level of Jean Grey, you can't pin all of those sacks on him.

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    "blame"?

Or just observe?

If the Parcells approach, has failed, then it requires a complete re-examination of everything that approach produced, and where does a 10 million dollar or more, LT fit into the roster/cap mix moving forwards? The "caution" in large part has been produced by overpaying offensive linemen, they kept handing out huge contracts, our performance did not noticeably improve, so why continue to do the same thing?

To me, that is just simple prudence.

14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    He gave up his share, and that is not the "real" point per se, what that would be is look at the investment already made into the offensive line, look at how terrible it has been, does it make sense to continue to do things the same way?

Basically our OL is manned by players who cannot move, we drafted that way, we signed FA's that way, do we continue to do things that way?

15. Silverphin

Nov 25, 2007
    Define 85%

16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    He gave up close to the same amount of sacks Long did, however is not the drive blocker Jake is, do you sign him for say, 6 million? Or pay Big Jake? New scheme is more about movement.

No money for FA's, guess what that means we will doing during Draft Weekend this yr?

And no worries Mr C will be along with the stats from PFF..:lol:

17. Silverphin

Nov 25, 2007
    I never advocated drafting the same way over and over again. I just don't advocate letting Jake Long walk.

18. Silverphin

Nov 25, 2007
    Which I'm glad for. I've been wanting to draft a RT this year anyway.

19. Killer Bees

Aug 14, 2011
    I agree, but I don't think Jake is one of those problems and is deserving of that money, how many LT's in the game can eliminate a teams best pass rusher, and give a your young QB one less worry preparing for game day.

LandShark13 likes this.
  20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Here is the thing, the old school "base 4-3, my best pass rusher vs your LT" is sort of a thing of the past now, Defenses tend to use more blitz packages or simply put their best passrusher over the RT, who is generally not as athletic. Or they have 2 elite passrushers etc.

Making your 12 million dollar LT..somewhat useless, the idea behind the dominant LT is "protects the Qb's blind side", BUT with the blitz packages and the likelihood that your RT cannot block their best passrusher all game?

Disnardo likes this.
  21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Walk?

Maybe, maybe not, it certainly should be considered esp at 12 million per yr.

22. Silverphin

Nov 25, 2007
    Why don't you ask Demarcus Ware how useless that 12 Million LT was?

Here's the better idea: How about we just work on the right side of our line and keep Long?

Larryfinfan likes this.
  23. Killer Bees

Aug 14, 2011
    :up:

24. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Giants LT was one of the worst pass blockers in the NFL, how about we ask him?

Disnardo likes this.
  25. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Why don't we just bring back Wade Smith or bring back Vernon Carey and move him over to LT, I am sure Jake can find a starters job somewhere. People seem to forget how long it took Miami to find a left tackle and how long it had been since Miami had a LT go to a Pro Bowl. I can remember the arguments people had on here about it was easy to find a LT and you could just plug any one in there. We already have enough holes to fill without creating new ones.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  26. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Last I heard, Big Jake is big, but he's not a team. It takes other guys around you to be a team and TEAMS make the playoffs, not individual players...great or not... Just doesn't have anything to do with how good or how bad one player is...

27. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Our best offensive player is suddenly 'not needed'...unbelievable. Maybe we should let Cam Wake walk too. I mean, the day of the pass rusher extraordinaire is coming to a close as well. We don't need great players at any position any longer. I mean it's not bad enough that we have 5 or 6 other holes in the roster talent on this team...let's dump Jake and have to look for yet another player to fill yet another hole....